import email from outlook expressv6.0

would be grateful for any pointers for importing emails from xp based,
outlook express v6.0 into my vista based machine running win live mail 2008
and win mail ver6.0 6000.16386.
have burned 4 files : ( archive (.pst), backup (.pst), extend.dat, outlook
(.pst) ) from old system but both win mail and win live mail seem not to
recognize the files when i try to read these files or import them.
thks.
0
jchan (3)

"jchan" <jchan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> would be grateful for any pointers for importing emails from xp based,
> outlook express v6.0 into my vista based machine running win live mail
> 2008
> and win mail ver6.0 6000.16386.
> have burned 4 files : ( archive (.pst), backup (.pst), extend.dat, outlook
> (.pst) ) from old system but both win mail and win live mail seem not to
> recognize the files when i try to read these files or import them.
> thks.

Firstly Outlook EXPRESS doesn't use pst files. They are used by Outlook
which is a different application completely.
Secondly, you will need to do one of two things. Either install Outlook on
your new machine (you can download a trial version of Office just to do
this), open the pst files in that and then import in Windows Mail, or, on
the old machine (if you still have access to it), import all your mail etc
into Outlook Express and then do the following:

Copy ALL the mail files from OE (including the one called Folders.dbx) and
paste them into a folder you have created on your new machine, to which you
have read/write permissions. A folder within your Documents folder would
seem to be the best place.
Then in Windows Mail, do File-Import-Messages, highlight Microsoft Outlook
Express, and click next.
Make sure that "Import from an OE6 Store directory is checked, (that's why
you need to copy the folders.dbx file, because that tells WM the folder is
an OE message store) and click on OK. Browse to the folder you created.

You state pst files, that being the case they are used with Outlook, not
outlook express.
Outlook has to be installed & configured to use the pst files on the Vista
PC, before you can Import data in Windows Mail

"jchan" <jchan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> would be grateful for any pointers for importing emails from xp based,
> outlook express v6.0 into my vista based machine running win live mail
> 2008
> and win mail ver6.0 6000.16386.
> have burned 4 files : ( archive (.pst), backup (.pst), extend.dat, outlook
> (.pst) ) from old system but both win mail and win live mail seem not to
> recognize the files when i try to read these files or import them.
> thks.

0
DL
11/24/2008 10:23:18 AM
thks for all the v useful suggestion and clarification. i have the new office
for vista(home) but no new outllook. the old outlook came with machine, so
i'll try to find online a copy of the trial office as you suggested and see
how that goes. stay tuned....

"Gordon" wrote:

> "jchan" <jchan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > would be grateful for any pointers for importing emails from xp based,
> > outlook express v6.0 into my vista based machine running win live mail
> > 2008
> > and win mail ver6.0 6000.16386.
> > have burned 4 files : ( archive (.pst), backup (.pst), extend.dat, outlook
> > (.pst) ) from old system but both win mail and win live mail seem not to
> > recognize the files when i try to read these files or import them.
> > thks.
>

> Firstly Outlook EXPRESS doesn't use pst files. They are used by Outlook
> which is a different application completely.
> Secondly, you will need to do one of two things. Either install Outlook on
> your new machine (you can download a trial version of Office just to do
> this), open the pst files in that and then import in Windows Mail, or, on
> the old machine (if you still have access to it), import all your mail etc
> into Outlook Express and then do the following:
>
> Copy ALL the mail files from OE (including the one called Folders.dbx) and
> paste them into a folder you have created on your new machine, to which you
> have read/write permissions. A folder within your Documents folder would
> seem to be the best place.
> Then in Windows Mail, do File-Import-Messages, highlight Microsoft Outlook
> Express, and click next.
> Make sure that "Import from an OE6 Store directory is checked, (that's why
> you need to copy the folders.dbx file, because that tells WM the folder is
> an OE message store) and click on OK. Browse to the folder you created.

0
jchan (3)
11/25/2008 3:17:01 AM
your advise works like a charm!!( it also turns out that i've been looking up
at the wrong directory on the old system as well).
just out of "greed", i did forget to copy the folder.dbx at one stage-
something you had anticipated- still why did vista or is it winmail ask for
administator's permission  to "archive" the other dbx files (eg the inbox)
from "read only" mode when i try to import these files into the new computer
- when i have not set up any "administrator" account on either of the
computers, and when as you stated (or even predicted ) v accurately, the
inclusion of the folder.dbx worked like a charm, EVEN when there was no
"changes" in the admin permission or the "read only" mode for those files.
am i making the question sensible???

"jchan" wrote:

> thks for all the v useful suggestion and clarification. i have the new office
> for vista(home) but no new outllook. the old outlook came with machine, so
> i'll try to find online a copy of the trial office as you suggested and see
> how that goes. stay tuned....
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
> > "jchan" <jchan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > would be grateful for any pointers for importing emails from xp based,
> > > outlook express v6.0 into my vista based machine running win live mail
> > > 2008
> > > and win mail ver6.0 6000.16386.
> > > have burned 4 files : ( archive (.pst), backup (.pst), extend.dat, outlook
> > > (.pst) ) from old system but both win mail and win live mail seem not to
> > > recognize the files when i try to read these files or import them.
> > > thks.
> >

> > Firstly Outlook EXPRESS doesn't use pst files. They are used by Outlook
> > which is a different application completely.
> > Secondly, you will need to do one of two things. Either install Outlook on
> > your new machine (you can download a trial version of Office just to do
> > this), open the pst files in that and then import in Windows Mail, or, on
> > the old machine (if you still have access to it), import all your mail etc
> > into Outlook Express and then do the following:
> >
> > Copy ALL the mail files from OE (including the one called Folders.dbx) and
> > paste them into a folder you have created on your new machine, to which you
> > have read/write permissions. A folder within your Documents folder would
> > seem to be the best place.
> > Then in Windows Mail, do File-Import-Messages, highlight Microsoft Outlook
> > Express, and click next.
> > Make sure that "Import from an OE6 Store directory is checked, (that's why
> > you need to copy the folders.dbx file, because that tells WM the folder is
> > an OE message store) and click on OK. Browse to the folder you created.

0
jchan (3)

Attaching Contacts to new email

Some Emails Cannot be Delivered

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation 11-08-07

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

From time to time, I will recieve email from friends, family, or business...and when I get the email, I open it up to find nothing but white space. I can't find a common thing between emails. I just know it is very frustrating when I have to ask people to resend the email to me or to a new address. When I look at my mail on the server, it is fine. It is when I open Outlook and it downloads it to my desktop. I get nothing. Any ideas? Cheers.. vg Sorry, wanted to add that I am using OL2003 with WINXP and everything is updated SP wise. I am starting to see some articles on this...

invalid email address

RMS V2 and QSC Import
I have successfully imported several of my customers products using the QSC Import tool as a test but am unable to import the items with any association with sales tax? The default Sales Tax is TAX which is what I plan on using but once imported it creates a new item code TAX so now I have two? I plan on importing several hundred products and any help would be much appreciated. -Jess Reference- https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/rms/downloads/releases/rms_so_importutility.htm i use the same tool but i dont tell the import utility anything about tax. import the items witho...

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

Having problem with spoofing email