IMAP in Outlook

Hi all!

I have just changed from Windows Mail (OE) to Outlook 2003. It works fine
for me, because I want to use the calender and contacts so that I can
synchronize them with my mobile phone.

The only problem is... E-mail. I am using an IMAP-server, which worked fine
in Windows Mail and OE. I could set a 'base folder' (INBOX) so that my sent
items folder really was the sent items folder, the bin really the bin etc.
In Outlook I see no such option. Also, SPAM control doesn't work for IMAP
folders in Outlook, while it _did_ in Windows Mail (do I need an Office
upgrade? Hope not, the last version is hiddeous!)

Also, why the ... is there no usenet reader in Outlook? I like to have news
and e-mail in one place. Maybe there is somekind of plugin for this?

Thanks!

Rens

Follow-up to: microsoft.public.outlook

"Rens Kempen" <recyclebin@renskempen.nl> wrote in message

> The only problem is... E-mail. I am using an IMAP-server, which worked
> fine in Windows Mail and OE. I could set a 'base folder' (INBOX) so that
> my sent items folder really was the sent items folder, the bin really the
> bin etc. In Outlook I see no such option.

I don't quite follow you. The idea of IMAP is that it MIRRORS the folders on
your mail server, so that the Inbox in your IMAP acount on Outlook is the
Inbox on your IMAP mail server, and the same with all the folders.

>Also, SPAM control doesn't work for IMAP folders in Outlook, while it _did_
>in Windows Mail (do I need an Office upgrade? Hope not, the last version is
>hiddeous!)

What sort of Spam control?

> Also, why the ... is there no usenet reader in Outlook?

Because it's main market is the Corporate sector, (the VAST majority of
Outlook installations are in organisations), in which there is no call for
Newsgroup access.

> I like to have news and e-mail in one place. Maybe there is somekind of
> plugin for this?

there are, but in my experience they are very much inferior to a dedicated
news reader...

0
gbplinux (1141)
1/22/2008 10:09:36 AM
Rens Kempen <recyclebin@renskempen.nl> wrote:

> The only problem is... E-mail. I am using an IMAP-server, which
> worked fine in Windows Mail and OE. I could set a 'base folder'
> (INBOX) so that my sent items folder really was the sent items
> folder, the bin really the bin etc. In Outlook I see no such option.

If the IMAP server is a standards-compliant server, that shouldn't be
needed.  However, click Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next, select the IMAP account,
click Change, then More Settings, then the Advanced tab.  The "Root folder
path" is what you want to modify.

Note that the "Sent Items" folder (if you have one) on the IMAP server will
NOT receive copies of outgoing messages unless you create a rule to move
them there.

> Also, SPAM control doesn't work for IMAP folders in Outlook, while it
> _did_ in Windows Mail (do I need an Office upgrade? Hope not, the
> last version is hiddeous!)

The Junk E-mail filter works fine for IMAP accounts, as long as you
configure the send/receive group to download the complete message instead of
only the header.  While viewing the Inbox, press Alt-Ctrl-S, select your
Send/Receive group (probably "All Accounts"), click Edit, select the IMAP
account, select the Inbox, and click the radio button labeled "Download
complete item including attachments"

> Also, why the ... is there no usenet reader in Outlook? I like to
> have news and e-mail in one place. Maybe there is somekind of plugin
> for this?

Outlook has never need an NNTP client.  It has always used Outlook Express
for that, by default.  When you click Go>News, that starts Outlook Express
with the /outnews command switch.  YOu can, of course, buy NNTP transports
that will integrate with Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)

> Note that the "Sent Items" folder (if you have one) on the IMAP server
> will NOT receive copies of outgoing messages unless you create a rule to
> move them there.

You do it in the Folders tab of the More Account Settings (Outlook 2007)-
not sure whether that creates a "rule" or not - one certainly doesn't show
under the ordinary Rules and Alerts dialog...

0
gbplinux (1141)

> Note that the "Sent Items" folder (if you have one) on the IMAP server
> will NOT receive copies of outgoing messages unless you create a rule to
> move them there.

You do it in the Folders tab of the More Account Settings (Outlook 2007)-
not sure whether that creates a "rule" or not - one certainly doesn't show
under the ordinary Rules and Alerts dialog...

0
gbplinux (1141)

> Note that the "Sent Items" folder (if you have one) on the IMAP server
> will NOT receive copies of outgoing messages unless you create a rule to
> move them there.

You do it in the Folders tab of the More Account Settings (Outlook 2007)-
not sure whether that creates a "rule" or not - one certainly doesn't show
under the ordinary Rules and Alerts dialog...

0
gbplinux (1141)
1/22/2008 2:55:58 PM
Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> You do it in the Folders tab of the More Account Settings (Outlook
> 2007)- not sure whether that creates a "rule" or not - one certainly
> doesn't show under the ordinary Rules and Alerts dialog...

Right, but you specifically said "Outlook 2003".
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
0
Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> You do it in the Folders tab of the More Account Settings (Outlook
> 2007)- not sure whether that creates a "rule" or not - one certainly
> doesn't show under the ordinary Rules and Alerts dialog...

Oops.  I meant the OP said "Outlook 2003".
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
0

http://www.shorelinesoftware.com/
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/nntp/

--
Best Regards
Christian Goeller

MVP - MS Outlook
http://www.outlookfaq.net
0
news8400 (20)
> Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> You do it in the Folders tab of the More Account Settings (Outlook
>> 2007)- not sure whether that creates a "rule" or not - one certainly
>> doesn't show under the ordinary Rules and Alerts dialog...
>
> Oops.  I meant the OP said "Outlook 2003".

Ah sorry, didn't see that...

0
gbplinux (1141)
1/22/2008 5:05:08 PM
"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

>> The only problem is... E-mail. I am using an IMAP-server, which
>> worked fine in Windows Mail and OE. I could set a 'base folder'
>> (INBOX) so that my sent items folder really was the sent items
>> folder, the bin really the bin etc. In Outlook I see no such option.
> If the IMAP server is a standards-compliant server, that shouldn't be
> needed.  However, click Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next, select the IMAP
> account, click Change, then More Settings, then the Advanced tab.  The
> "Root folder path" is what you want to modify.

Thanks!!

> Note that the "Sent Items" folder (if you have one) on the IMAP server
> will NOT receive copies of outgoing messages unless you create a rule to
> move them there.

Darn. :(

>> Also, SPAM control doesn't work for IMAP folders in Outlook, while it
>> _did_ in Windows Mail (do I need an Office upgrade? Hope not, the
>> last version is hiddeous!)
> The Junk E-mail filter works fine for IMAP accounts, as long as you
> configure the send/receive group to download the complete message instead
> of only the header.  While viewing the Inbox, press Alt-Ctrl-S, select
> your Send/Receive group (probably "All Accounts"), click Edit, select the
> IMAP account, select the Inbox, and click the radio button labeled
> "Download complete item including attachments"

Ill try that, thank you.

>> Also, why the ... is there no usenet reader in Outlook? I like to
>> have news and e-mail in one place. Maybe there is somekind of plugin
>> for this?
> Outlook has never need an NNTP client.  It has always used Outlook Express
> for that, by default.  When you click Go>News, that starts Outlook Express
> with the /outnews command switch.  YOu can, of course, buy NNTP transports
> that will integrate with Outlook.

Will try different newsreader.

Thanks.

Gordon wrote...

>I don't quite follow you. The idea of IMAP is that it MIRRORS the folders on
>your mail server, so that the Inbox in your IMAP acount on Outlook is the
>Inbox on your IMAP mail server, and the same with all the folders.

I tried this with Gmail's IMAP setup. For whatever reason I couldn't get
it to duplicate the folders or mailboxes or whatever you call them in
Gmail or in Outlook.

Also, any email sent via Gmail IMAP was seen as coming from my @gmail.com
address instead of my real one.

Then it was downloading all of the BULK emails from the BULK email folder,
something that it doesn't do when used in plain POP3 mode. In that mode on
mails from the Inbox are downloaded.

I was hoping to get this to work. That way we could all access our emails
from any of the PCs in the network here at home. Right now, one or two
computers are set up normally. The others we log into the webmail to check
them, or in my case I have Outlook set up on a laptop and it's set to
leave messages on server.

Finally, using Gmail IMAP on my Windows mobile smartphone, I can only
download message headers, not the bodies.

Snapper <snapper_won@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I tried this with Gmail's IMAP setup. For whatever reason I couldn't
> get it to duplicate the folders or mailboxes or whatever you call
> them in Gmail or in Outlook.

Look at the other messages in this thread.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
0

Outlook Backup Crashed Outlook
I ran Outlook Backup onmy XP Pro/Outlook 2K machine yesterday, and it obliterated my emails - the screen flashed and all emails and contacts were gone, even from the Deleted folder. My PST file is still there, and so is my PST backup, but Outlook won't read them. I pointed my account to each of them in turn (75MB files), but no mail shows in Outlook. Outlook is still functioning, as I am still receiving new emails. Any ideas? Should I just reinstall Outlook? Or would the Inbox Repair Tool help? Thanks. CG ...

Outlook 2002 notes connector
I've installed the Lotus Notes connector and am successfully using it to read my notes mail, calendar, ect.. However, when the connector synchronizes with Lotus Notes, the synchronization run for an extremely long time 1/2 to 1 hour at times. I've moticed that Microsoft has a post SP2 hotfix for this issue. Anyone know how to get the hotfix? Microsoft does not make it available for download on their website...what do I do? Thanks Me http://support.microsoft.com should help you with the formalities "Me" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Outlook shutting down when accessing moved mailboxes
We recently built a new Wxchange 2003 Server in one of our offices and have been moving mailboxes to the new server. Now some of the users that were moved say that Outlook is shutting down when they try to do different things - for one person, it happens when she opens her Calendar, for another, it's when he opens mail items. I'm re-creating their mail profiles, but I know that the first thing I try almost never works, so I thought I'd send this question along to see if anyone has suggestions fror other steps I can try to remedy these issues. Thanks in advance! I had so...

Outlook PST question..
Hello, I am working on a little project. I am trying to see if there is something Macro/WSH script, etc. to automate the breaking up of a PST file? I often see users with large PSTs (to the point outlook takes along time to open) but not to the point that outlook wont see it. I was just looking for something to break the folders up in the pst into say Alpha order and file them into new PSTs. Would save alot of time and I am not too good at scripting.. ...

Disabling Preview Pane in Outlook 2000
Is it possible? Thanks. Guessing you mean how can you get rid of the preview pane so you can only double click on messages to view. Then Yes, it is possible. 2 ways 1. Make sure you're in the folder that you want the preview pane gone from (ie. Inbox Right click on the message header (The part in grey telling you From: To: Subject: and CC: Left click on Preview pane It should then disappear 2. Make sure you're in the folder that you want the preview pane gone from (ie. Inbox Left click on View (On the main menu bar Then left click Preview Pane Again it should disappear Hope this he...

Outlook Picture Compression
When sending pictures through Outlook 2002 to someone using OE, the pictures appear in the body of their e-mail in their original size. How do I compress the picture so that they can see it? ...

Contact address fields Outlook 2002
I've converted my Outlook 2000 contacts to Outlook 2002, the address information seems not to be right. The City-info is in the ZIP-field, the state info in the city-field and the zipcode in the state-field. In the 'All fields'-tab the information is in the right fields. I've migrated from Outlook 2000 SP3 English to Outlook 2002 Dutch. It seems some programmer/translator mixed up the addressfields in the contactinformation-window. I need this information for my program. Is this solved in a servicepack/upgrade, or is any workaround available? It seems to be a common probl...

Windows 7 64 bit and Outlook 2007
I have just loaded a new dell computer with windows seven 64 bit with Outlook 2007 from my previous XP machine. All was stable on the previous machine with the Outlook program. Everything is working fine on the the windows 7 machine and I'm impressed with the voice recognition. Unfortunately Outlook has problems. For some reason I have lost messages in transferring data using an external drive and the normal import and export facility. In addition, possibly because there are messages going back to 2004 when I was probably still using outlook 2003 the archived files h...

Outlook 2007 Watermark for staionery 11-16-09
I would like to make my own watermark for stationery using a picture of my own - is this possible if so can I get directions to do it. You can simple set a watermarked picture as the background for that. Many photo editor applications have a watermark filter to create such images. For an example see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/285 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- &q...

Outlook 2002 #95
I'm trying to set up my Outlook 2002 program but everytime I open it, a pop up message appears regarding choosing a profile. If I click cancel, it closes the program but when I click ok, everything is fine. The only thing that's bothering me is the profile name. Currently, the profile name indicates Corel 8 Settings. What do I do from there? Do I click ok to continue or hit cancel? Is this profile supposed to be here? Please help. Thanks. Go to Control Panel | Mail and set up your profiles there. If you don't think you'll need that Corel 8 profile (I have no i...

outlook business contact manager #2
Is there a way to be able to have teh database for the Contact manager be avaible online? That way our corporate people can view the stuff while our sales people are out of teh office. Thanks On Jan 22, 11:04=A0am, "Johnfli" <j...@ivhs.us> wrote: > Is there a way to be able to have teh database for theContactmanagerbe > avaible online? =A0 That way our corporate people can view the stuff while= our > sales people are out of teh office. > > Thanks John, in the future, you might want to post to microsoft.public.outlook.bcm...a lot more bcm traffic there....

Conversation filter indents do not show up in Outlook 2007?
I created group by conversation filter in outlook 2007. However, responses to emails do not appear to show up indented as they did in Outlook 2003. Maybe I am missing some setting. Any help appreciated. Thanks ...

Notes Connector for Outlook
Hello, I have tried the Microsoft add-on (Notes Connector for Outlook) which seems to be great, but I have one problem with it : It seems to automatically synchronize the Notes database into a .pst file, while I would simply want it to read/connect to Notes through Outlook with synchronizing. The reason is that my company uses Notes on Terminal Server (very convenient as I travel a lot), I have installed Outllok and the Connector on the TS as well but it means my e-mail file is there twice (Notes then the Outlook sync), taking a lot of space. It's actually even worst, the sync seem...

Outlook 2002 not recieving new Exchange mail until I click on program.
Hello! Outlook 2002 v10.6515.6626 SP 3 on Windows XP Pro SP1. I can sit with no programs running except for Outlook and watch the screen do nothing. If I click somplace on Outlook, such as a folder or any message EXCEPT the one in the preview pane, Outlook will suddently recieve all the email that I have been sent since the last time I clicked on the program. This could be five minutes or 30 minutes... I do not recieve any mail until I actually click on Outlook. I'm connecting to an Exchange server on our LAN and I'm always connected. Can someone suggest why this may be happening? I...

Error when performing Outlook synchronise or going off-line
I have installed Microsoft CRM v.1.2 int. english on a W2003 server and the CRM-Exchange E-Mail Router on a W2000 Server with Exchane2000. My MS SQL 2000 Server is running on a W2000 Server too. Furthermore I have installed a XP Pro klient with Office 2003. On this computer I have installed the Sales For Outlook client with no errors reported througout the installation. I can work on-line on the CRM-server, send and receive e-mails and promote incomming e-mails. Everuthing seames to work properly. But when I try to syncronise I get an Error message: 'The specified domain either does not ex...

Outlook rules #31
Hi all, I'm very familiar with Outlook Express rules but am having trouble using rules in my Outlook mail at work. 1. I am trying to create rules to sort mail if the From field has a match OR there is a certain match in the Subject field. All I can get is the AND function, not OR. In OE you can change the AND to OR but I can't see how to do that in Outlook. I've been creating two separate rules but would like to do it in one. Can I ? 2. When the rules sort to different folders, it does not seem to "Stop processing more rules" - what happens is the same mess...

attachments dissapear on incoming email for outlook 2000
When email is received in outlook 2000 the attachements are not there. Do you see them if you hit forward? If not, is the message size large enough to have the attachments present but hidden? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ Vote for your favori...

Outlook 2002 (Office XP Suite) Outlook hangs, task manger "Outlook Not Respondin
Outlook hangs when launched, can't access anything on the toolbar or any messages or folders. If you check the Task manager the Outlook Not repsonding message is the only message showned. I completely uninstalled the Office suite, removed the Office folders, deleted Outlook profiles. I Re-installed the Office suite and SP1,SP2, setup profile and launched Outlook and sent and received two messages and the same symptoms occurred, launced Outlook shows the mailbox and personal flders , but can't access anything and the Not responding message came back. ...

Outlook 2007 always sending winmail.dat
I have a workstation with Office 2007. Outlook 2007 has also has the Outlook CRM client installed. I have tried changing all the settings I can find and it still sends out with winmail.dat files. Have changed to plaintext sending - it shows plain at the top of the window when I create a new mail. Have also changed the properties for Contact e-mail addresses. Tried sending with CRM tracking and without and it makes no difference, with an attachment or without. Anyone got any suggestions? Cheers ...

I need tutorials to use outlook
Please address me where I may be able to find instrucction on how to use the outlook as a begginer? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/FX100647191033.aspx -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Yol wrote: | Please address me where I may be able to find instrucction on how to | use the outlook as a begginer? "Yol" wrote in message news:72140F56-9662-439A-B638-994C7BD66FA0@microsoft.com... > Please...

Outlook and AOL #3
I successfully used Outlook with AOL's 8.0 email account but when I tried to use it AOL's 9.0 version I get this error. ! Task 'imap.aol.com - Sending' reported error (0x8007029C) : 'The connection was terminated.' Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Talk to AOL. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Bryon asked: | I ...

new office 2003 outlook
My email account is set up exactly like the old office, old earthlink set-ups, old folders, etc., yet i cannot Send/Receive in the new Outlook 2003. Any ideas? SOunds exactly like my problem with OL2003 as posted today: URGENT: OL2003: can receive e-mail ONLY ONCE (?!?) Except that I can't get ANY account to work. btw it's all POP3 with me, and I can receive them exactly on the first start of OL2003 after creaton of the profile and the accounts settings, and no more after OL2003 has been closed and re-opened. Philotech "Sandy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com...

outlook express & aol attachments
How do I get attachments from AOL users to open in my outlook express? maj <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I get attachments from AOL users to open in my > outlook express? Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook 2007: View in Browser not working
I am running Office 2007 Professional on WinXP Home SP2. After double clicking on an email in my inbox, I click on "Other Actions" | "View In Browser". But nothing happens. I am running IE7.0. I've tried it with IE already started and without it already started with no difference. I am trying to do the "View in Browser" so I can use the browser's selective printing capabilities to not print an entire email and just print the parts I need. Is IE your default browser? Have you run Detect and Repair? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies...

Outlook Connector config problem
I could not locate a suitable thread for this issue hence starting a new one. I installed OlC 12.0.6423.1000 earlier last month. It downloaded all the mails from my Hotmail Live Inbox at that time and also downloaded mails from other Hotmail folders. My hard drive crashed and I resurfaced with all necessary software including OlC. Now I see that the mails that were downloaded in folders other than inbox are no longer downloaded. Only later mails from the date of reinstall are seen downloaded. How can I download the previous mails from all folders? Please suggest possible tips. ...