I can't copy/open my .pst file

I have tried copying my .pst file onto the hard drive but I get the following
error message:

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Also, when I right-click the file and get to the Read-Only box, I can
uncheck it, but when I try to "apply" or "ok" the change, it says access
denied.  What else can I try?
0
Sylvia (32)

In news:371A7C91-6732-416B-940B-09EE71733A83@microsoft.com,
Sylvia <Sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I have tried copying my .pst file onto the hard drive but I get the
> following error message:
>
> Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
>
> Also, when I right-click the file and get to the Read-Only box, I can
> uncheck it, but when I try to "apply" or "ok" the change, it says
> access denied.  What else can I try?

What are you copying from? Presuming it was a CD, how did you make/burn it?

You may not have a good copy of the file. Do you still have access to the
original PST file?

0
lanwench (7567)
11/30/2005 4:09:25 AM

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:371A7C91-6732-416B-940B-09EE71733A83@microsoft.com,
> Sylvia <Sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > I have tried copying my .pst file onto the hard drive but I get the
> > following error message:
> >
> > Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
> >
> > Also, when I right-click the file and get to the Read-Only box, I can
> > uncheck it, but when I try to "apply" or "ok" the change, it says
> > access denied.  What else can I try?
>
> What are you copying from? Presuming it was a CD, how did you make/burn it?
>
> You may not have a good copy of the file. Do you still have access to the
> original PST file?

It was burned to a CD-RW.  My hard drive crashed so I do not have any other
..pst file copies.  Darn, I hope all my info isn't lost.  Any other
suggestions?
0
Sylvia (32)
11/30/2005 12:49:06 PM
Make sure you have removed the read only attribute and run a repair of the
PST, using scanpst.exe (do a file search for it on your computer). You may
first want to check the properties of the PST and take ownership of it if you
can. Did you password protect it perhaps?
--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"Sylvia" wrote:

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>

> > In news:371A7C91-6732-416B-940B-09EE71733A83@microsoft.com,
> > Sylvia <Sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > > I have tried copying my .pst file onto the hard drive but I get the
> > > following error message:
> > >
> > > Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
> > >
> > > Also, when I right-click the file and get to the Read-Only box, I can
> > > uncheck it, but when I try to "apply" or "ok" the change, it says
> > > access denied.  What else can I try?
> >
> > What are you copying from? Presuming it was a CD, how did you make/burn it?
> >
> > You may not have a good copy of the file. Do you still have access to the
> > original PST file?
>
> It was burned to a CD-RW.  My hard drive crashed so I do not have any other
> .pst file copies.  Darn, I hope all my info isn't lost.  Any other
> suggestions?
0
KOrland1 (1012)
11/30/2005 2:28:02 PM
Sylvia <Sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have tried copying my .pst file onto the hard drive but I get the
> following error message:
>
> Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

This indicates that the copy on the CD is toast.

> Also, when I right-click the file and get to the Read-Only box, I can
> uncheck it, but when I try to "apply" or "ok" the change, it says
> access denied.  What else can I try?

You can't remove the read-only check while the file is on the CD.  You must
copy it to the hard drive first, but you already said you can't do that.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/30/2005 4:50:19 PM
A "CRC" error means that the data on the CD is most likely lost.  The only
way to be sure is to try a data recovery program like BadCopy Pro to see if
the contents can be retrieved.

"Sylvia" <Sylvia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

[snip]

> It was burned to a CD-RW.  My hard drive crashed so I do not have any
> other
> .pst file copies.  Darn, I hope all my info isn't lost.  Any other
> suggestions?

0
neo7948 (622)

How Safe Are Exchange Raw Mail Files?
Hi There, My company has mandated that our office move over to Exchange 2003. Of all my research, I really only have one small question. That is, how safe and protected are the raw mail files that Exchange stores on the server? In other words, outside of using the user's password, can these files be copied and read later or are they encrypted or protected in some manner? Thanks, -Jay I am pretty certain that the mailbox store, essentially the pair of a Jet database something called a "streaming" file, are not encrypted. You should protect them as you would any se...

Outlook PST question..
Hello, I am working on a little project. I am trying to see if there is something Macro/WSH script, etc. to automate the breaking up of a PST file? I often see users with large PSTs (to the point outlook takes along time to open) but not to the point that outlook wont see it. I was just looking for something to break the folders up in the pst into say Alpha order and file them into new PSTs. Would save alot of time and I am not too good at scripting.. ...

File -> Open view
Many of us have had issues with Vista remember Explorer folder View settings. There are a number of suggestions out on the web to fix that issue. The fixes don't seem to address a nagging issue: When you choose File -> Open, the view has the same random change problems that the Explorer has. I'd used the old windows trick of setting the settings the way I wanted them, them holding the Shift key while clicking the "X" to close the window. That worked, but only some of the time. I started watching a little closer... the above Shift-click does work reliably, b...

Classic Environment crashes when Office 2004 is open
<This is a consistently duplicatable problem.> I am using Mac OS 10.4.2 on a Mac G4 Dual 1GB. I have Office 2004 installed. I have also Classic Environment installed. With NO other programs running, whenever I have the Classic Environment open, and try to use Word or Excel or Entourage, I am only able to use the Office apps for a minute or so before the Classic Environment crashes. I began by checking my fonts in the Mac OS 9 System Folder. There was nothing there that was not installed during the installation of the Classic Environment. (None of the apps I use in Classic install their o...

Double Click Open Form Filtered
I need to be able to create a button (or a double click function) to open a main form and filter it to show only the main form records with the subform records matching a particular ID #. Main form: FRM_Tickets-Active (pulls data from the table "TBL_Tickets" (filtered by a query to show only active tickets) Sub form: SUB_EXP_Tickets (pulls data from the table "TBL_Expenses" (linked to the main form by the field "WorkOrderNum" Field in subform to filter on: VendorID Can anyone help me figure out how to do this? All you really need to do is use the Link Master Fi...

Help! Can I store my files on a disk for future use?
Is it possible to store my messages on a disk and bring them up at a future time using the disk? If so, how can I store them. We are changing servers and I have to reduce the size of my files. Please respond ASAP. Thanks, Liz File > Import and Export > Export to a file File Type: Personal Folder File (.pst) Note, save this file to your hard drive and note the location. Once the file is completed, copy it to your other disk (probably a CD-R). -- Charles Kenyon Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (sup...

Open .msg files - using CreateItemFromTemplate?
Hi everyone - I'm trying to open .msg files using the CreateItemFromTemplate method in the Office XP PIA. I've managed to find a scant few examples - but they appear to be using another version of this method because they reference only one parameter. The PIA version is sonethimg like this: CreateItemFromTemplate(string Templatepath, object InFolder) As in something, I suppose, like this: public string OpenMSG(string Templatepath) { if (!Directory.Exists(Templatepath)) return "Directory: " + Templatepath + " does not exist"; Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outl...

Can not open mail folders
Hi I had a win xp crash, possibly due to power failure. I have repaired xp from the original disk. Now when I try to go into Outlook 2003 I get the below error and then it closes. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks Regards = Error Message ======= This error can occur if you attempt to run Outlook from a Terminal Server session when the OST file is in use by the console session. To access this instance of Outlook, exit the current Terminal Server session and start a new session by using the following Run command (click Start, then click Run): mstsc.exe /CONSOLE You mus...

copying data from test databases
Hello: We are getting ready to have our client go-live on GP 10.0. For the last few weeks, we have had to client "play" with their data in GP 10.0 test companies (test databases). We would like to transfer their master data from the test companies to the live companies databases. Before doing so, we will use GP's history removal utilities to get rid of the transactions that we do not want to transfer over. Which is the best and safest way to transfer this master data--by simply restoring a backup of the test databases over to the live databases or by using SQL 2005 Imp...

Authentication prompt while opening Excel/word files from IE8
While opening Excel or Word documents from intranet websites in IE8, we are seeing authentication prompt and after providing credentials the file is opening fine. Surprisingly if I cancel the authentication prompt, the file is still opening fine!! Is this problem related to IE or Office? How to fix the issue? I tried following but nothing worked: -Moved website from intranet zone and added to trusted sites -Reset IE8 settings -From Firefox the files are opening fine. FF is downloading file to local disk and opening it. -Changed default browser to Firefox and tried to open Exce...

merging excel files
I have two excel files one where there is already information abou budgets with headings and figures and a file that has just th labels...im trying to make it so when i input the numbers from one fil that they automatically are filled in the correct cells in the othe file...is this possible? I understand you can do this from one shee to another using a formula but im not sure if you can do it from fil to file...any help would be appreciated thanks -- Etringal ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Etringale's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...

Best way to copy data across ?
End users are using an Access 2003 Database with both front end and back end. There is a requirement to add fields in a particular table and change the forms and reports accordingly. I have made a new copy of both front end and back end while end users are still using the database. I would like to know what is the best way to copy all data from production to the newly developed backend ? (How to import data to table) ? Thanks Why not just alter the existing backend? Kick everyone off the system briefly and make the changes. Alternatively, write VBA code to make the changes for y...

How do I copy a comment to become the information in a cell.
I am trying to copy comments in a spreadsheet into cells on the same line so that they become the cell not a comment attached to a cell. The macro below inserts the text from a comment in the activecell into the first blank cell in the row. The comment is then deleted so save your work before testing this: Sub cmt() Dim eCol As Integer Dim cmtText As String Dim cmt As Comment Set cmt = ActiveCell.Comment If Not cmt Is Nothing Then With ActiveCell eCol = Cells(.Row, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column + 1 cmtText = Application.WorksheetFu...

Copy table text to Excel worksheet
I'm using Office XP and am putting text I typed in tables from Word into an Excel spreadsheet due to the columns expanding way beyond 11x17, Word's maximum width I believe. I set up my Excel spreadsheet columns to be wide enough to accept the text (8 columns across) but after copying, it put it all in the first column. Aside from copying each block of text individually, is there a quick way to do this? thanks so much, Regina Hi Regina yes, select your first column and choose data / text to columns you can then choose how your data is separated etc - if this doesn't work well...

Write in the spreadsheet having a form open
Hi everybody, How can I write in the spreadsheet having a form open? I can not use the ShowModal property. Thanks in advance. Lidmat -- lidmat ------------------------------------------------------------------------ lidmat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16658 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=319290 If the form is displayed modally, you cannot access the worksheet while the form is visible. To display the form modelessly, use Userform1.Show vbModeless -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pea...

Need to make sure workbook is open before proceeding
Can you help - Users of my form need to make sure Doc2 is open before running the macro. If Doc2 is not open I need the macro to stop and a message box to pop up stating Doc2 is not open. Application.WindowState = xlMinimized Windows("@Doc1.xls").Activate Range("H2").Select Selection.Copy Windows("@Doc2.xls").Activate Range("E1").Select ActiveSheet.Paste Dim Doc2Wkbk as workbook set doc2wkbk = nothing on error resume next set doc2wkbk = workbooks("doc2.xls") 'no drive and no pat...

Select from a list of workbooks that are open
Hello, How do I display a list of workbooks that the user currently has open, and choose one from that list, so that I can activate that workbook and continue with macro processing. Many Thanks for your help. -- Programmer on Budget Did you read the response to your other post? "Budget Programmer" <BudgetProgrammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A97D1C9B-6AE1-4BB3-826C-4C36ADB64CD6@microsoft.com... > Hello, > How do I display a list of workbooks that the user currently has open, and > choose one from that list, so that I can act...

can a table be opened in access by todays date
Hi Can anyone point me in the right direction here, I would like to open a table in access 2003 by date. I have an asp web page which needs to read data from a table with each days today's date (which ever day that is) then a new table is created with today's date. Example: I have a table called 17-may-2007 my ASP page reads this table for 24hours then tomorrow (12:00 midnight 18th) I will have a new table called 18-may-2007 and the old table is left behind (As 17-may-2007) so I need my sql statement to automatically open table by today's date. This is what I have so far but it...

How do I set up Excel to open a new instance/application window w.
How do I set up Excel to open a new instance/application window when I open a new file? Hi Tools, Options, View tab and tick "Windows in task bar" HTH Cordially Pascal "DK9144" <DK9144@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 393209AA-8C26-4576-9672-21DB5B90485A@microsoft.com... > How do I set up Excel to open a new instance/application window when I > open a > new file? ...

Copying sub reports
How else do you express frustration of having had two, count the messages, two people respond with none answers; why respond if not to answer the question? Or are credits given for number of responses, rather than resolutions. so, how do i copy a subreport and change the datasource, all small letters. -- phm Most of the time, the OP would post back in the thread where some of us had tried to help. They provide some information about what they tried and why it worked or didn't work. It also is nice if you say "thanks for trying to help". What you don't ge...

restoring pst files
I launched outlook and upon trying to open a new mail, the application gave me an error, "cannot access..............pst, run repair tool" The repair tool operation runs into an error as well and thus I am unable to restore the pst file. Any suggestions on how to gain access to some of my files, or to restore the pst file would be appreciated. mjina What is the error scanpst.exe is giving you? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "mj...

Log File Question #2
A few questions please! Which Exchange 2003 log files are the best to check if we want to find out who sent emails to a specific address? Would the log files in question be different for an Exchange 5.5 environment? How long are these log files kept for? Is there a set / recommended time limit? In E2K3 you can use the message tracking center in ESM to find messages. You can do this provided you have enabled it on the mail store properties tab. If you have, the default amount of time for keeping the tracking logs is 10 days. I'm not sure how 5.5 works, sorry. Thanks, Dan "...

How do I create a link to a file on my remote web-site?
I've created a folder on my web-site and placed an MOV file in it. I need to create a link to that file from a page on my web-site. I can't seem to find the right way to do this in MS Publisher like I used to do in Front Page. Can someone help? Thanks Reference: Including external files in a Publisher web: http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/archive/2006/01/07/80561.aspx DavidF "John Graves" <John Graves@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB715DA1-D8E4-4578-AFD6-218D3C240C66@microsoft.com... > I've created a folder on my web-site and placed ...

deleting without opening e mail #2
i cant delete email without it opening first, can anyone help. i want to be able to single click to highlight it,then delete it or right click then delete it. when i try either way it opens the e mail. can someone please help me. i'm running outlook express 6.0 in windows XP thank you This is an Outlook newsgroup. Try these Outlook express newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke...

Convert a Money 95 file to a newer version
What steps do I need to take to convert my old version 4.0 money file to a newer version? I assume I need to use some intermediate versions to get to something like Money 2005 or Money 2007. M05 might do it directly, but M06 or M07 will probably require an intermediate upgrade. There is a relatively painless way to accomplish this. See the third solution at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108. I do not recommend M05. What steps? If Money doesn't offer to upgrade the file when you first install it, File|Open and navigate to the file. Money should attempt to open it, discover...