HTML email now displays as text

All of a sudden in the last few weeks, subscription emails that had
always come to me as beautiful html pages now come as text, with a
bunch of links and no images.   I'm thinking maybe it was an update
that's caused the problem.  I'm using Outlook 2003 (11.8206.8202) SP3
on Win XP.

Any suggestions?

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.

Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html
0
me7986 (249)

We know of an issue on Vista which is fixed by a hotfix
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951982) I don't see where it says vista
only, so it might also work for xp.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Dena Jo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> All of a sudden in the last few weeks, subscription emails that had
> always come to me as beautiful html pages now come as text, with a
> bunch of links and no images.   I'm thinking maybe it was an update
> that's caused the problem.  I'm using Outlook 2003 (11.8206.8202) SP3
> on Win XP.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> --
> Dena Jo
>
> Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
>
> Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html

0
outlookmvp1 (464)
5/28/2008 8:27:49 PM
On 28 May 2008, Diane Poremsky {MVP} posted thus:

> We know of an issue on Vista which is fixed by a hotfix
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951982) I don't see where it says
> vista only, so it might also work for xp.

Thanks.  I'll give it a shot.

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.

Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html
0
me7986 (249)
5/29/2008 2:22:32 PM
Any luck with the hotfix? I also get html emails in plain text with all tags
and I too use Office 2003 and Win XP.
Thanks,
Ed

"Dena Jo" wrote:

> On 28 May 2008, Diane Poremsky {MVP} posted thus:
>
> > We know of an issue on Vista which is fixed by a hotfix
> > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951982) I don't see where it says
> > vista only, so it might also work for xp.
>
> Thanks.  I'll give it a shot.
>
> --
> Dena Jo
>
> Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
>
> Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html

0
EdH (6)
5/30/2008 6:23:00 PM
On 30 May 2008, =?Utf-8?B?RWRI?= posted thus:

> Any luck with the hotfix? I also get html emails in plain text
> with all tags and I too use Office 2003 and Win XP.

I haven't done it yet.  I'm scared it's going to screw up my system!

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.

Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html
0
me7986 (249)
5/31/2008 2:22:34 PM
While it's possible it may screw it up, it's rare. Others have reported
using this one without problems and that it fixed the issue - "worked like a
charm" is the typical response.

--

> On 30 May 2008, =?Utf-8?B?RWRI?= posted thus:
>
>> Any luck with the hotfix? I also get html emails in plain text
>> with all tags and I too use Office 2003 and Win XP.
>>

> I haven't done it yet.  I'm scared it's going to screw up my system!
>
> --
> Dena Jo
>
> Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
>
> Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html

0
outlookmvp1 (464)
6/1/2008 4:42:19 AM
On 31 May 2008, Diane Poremsky {MVP} posted thus:

> While it's possible it may screw it up, it's rare. Others have
> reported using this one without problems and that it fixed the
> issue - "worked like a charm" is the typical response.

Okay, I installed it.  Ones that displayed as text still display as
text, but I kind of expected that.  I guess I'll see over the next few
days whether it worked.  It did NOT disrupt my Outlook in any way.

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.

Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html
0
me7986 (249)
6/1/2008 2:57:01 PM
On 30 May 2008, =?Utf-8?B?RWRI?= posted thus:

> Any luck with the hotfix? I also get html emails in plain text
> with all tags and I too use Office 2003 and Win XP.

Didn't fix the problem.

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.

Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html
0
me7986 (249)
6/1/2008 9:25:27 PM
It didn't work on new mail? Did you reboot?

--

> On 30 May 2008, =?Utf-8?B?RWRI?= posted thus:
>
>> Any luck with the hotfix? I also get html emails in plain text
>> with all tags and I too use Office 2003 and Win XP.
>
> Didn't fix the problem.
>
> --
> Dena Jo
>
> Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
>
> Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html

0
outlookmvp1 (464)
6/2/2008 12:47:37 AM
On 01 Jun 2008, Diane Poremsky {MVP} posted thus:

> It didn't work on new mail? Did you reboot?

I'm pretty sure I've rebooted since then, but just in case, I'll reboot
right now.

The problem seems to be intermittent.  The same newsletter will have
been coming to me as html, then boom, this morning it's an ugly text
file.

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.

Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html
0
me7986 (249)
6/3/2008 2:00:59 PM
is the filename att*.txt? That's somewhat of a common problem with how
outlook and the mail server talk. Reboot should fix it, until it happens
again.

Are you using an antivirus or antispam scanner on incoming email? That can
cause it also.

--

> On 01 Jun 2008, Diane Poremsky {MVP} posted thus:
>
>> It didn't work on new mail? Did you reboot?
>>

> I'm pretty sure I've rebooted since then, but just in case, I'll reboot
> right now.
>
> The problem seems to be intermittent.  The same newsletter will have
> been coming to me as html, then boom, this morning it's an ugly text
> file.
>
> --
> Dena Jo
>
> Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
>
> Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html

0
outlookmvp1 (464)
6/3/2008 7:17:33 PM
On 03 Jun 2008, Diane Poremsky {MVP} posted thus:

> is the filename att*.txt? That's somewhat of a common problem with
> how outlook and the mail server talk. Reboot should fix it, until
> it happens again.
>
> Are you using an antivirus or antispam scanner on incoming email?
> That can cause it also.

Um, what file name?

These are newsletters that I've subscribed to for quite some time.  All
of a sudden, they started intermittently to display in text.  Mostly
they're from about.com, which I think is Yahoo.  My suspicion is that
this was caused by one of automatic updates.

In any case, I still don't have a conclusive answer as to whether it's
a problem since rebooting because I won't receive any more newletters
until tomorrow.

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.

Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html
0
me7986 (249)
6/3/2008 8:06:01 PM
when you said "ugly text file" I thought you meant as a text file, not just
plain text with the html code visible.

--

> On 03 Jun 2008, Diane Poremsky {MVP} posted thus:
>
>> is the filename att*.txt? That's somewhat of a common problem with
>> how outlook and the mail server talk. Reboot should fix it, until
>> it happens again.
>>
>> Are you using an antivirus or antispam scanner on incoming email?
>> That can cause it also.
>
> Um, what file name?
>
> These are newsletters that I've subscribed to for quite some time.  All
> of a sudden, they started intermittently to display in text.  Mostly
> they're from about.com, which I think is Yahoo.  My suspicion is that
> this was caused by one of automatic updates.
>
> In any case, I still don't have a conclusive answer as to whether it's
> a problem since rebooting because I won't receive any more newletters
> until tomorrow.
>
> --
> Dena Jo
>
> Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
>
> Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html

0
outlookmvp1 (464)
6/3/2008 8:42:26 PM
On 01 Jun 2008, Diane Poremsky {MVP} posted thus:

> It didn't work on new mail? Did you reboot?

So far so good...

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.

Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html
0
me7986 (249)
6/5/2008 6:43:05 PM
Dena Jo <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Mostly they're from about.com, which I think is Yahoo.

It's owned by the New York Times Company.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
0
tillman1952 (16052)
6/12/2008 1:27:33 PM
Diana,
It's Sergio from Brazil.
I have Outlook 2003 (supposedly updated to now) on Vista Home. I don't know
what Windows server is exacly.
Any way, since some months I'm receiving emails from specific correspondents
in plain text (header + formatting info + text + attchements, decoded in
ASCII text, even photos).
I red the Hotfix Article you suggested to Dena Jo, though my situation is
not clearly described on it, at least in one of the cases there is a result
just like the ones I've been having.
Do you think the hotfix in question is applicable to my case?
I would appreciate if you give any help. Thanks

sgcfreitas

"Diane Poremsky {MVP}" wrote:

> We know of an issue on Vista which is fixed by a hotfix
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951982) I don't see where it says vista
> only, so it might also work for xp.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> "Dena Jo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > All of a sudden in the last few weeks, subscription emails that had
> > always come to me as beautiful html pages now come as text, with a
> > bunch of links and no images.   I'm thinking maybe it was an update
> > that's caused the problem.  I'm using Outlook 2003 (11.8206.8202) SP3
> > on Win XP.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >

> > --
> > Dena Jo
> >
> > Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
> >
> > Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html

I would certainly try it. AFAIK, it does apply to Vista as well as XP and it
won't install if its not for your OS.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **

"sgcfreitas" <sgcfreitas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Diana,
> It's Sergio from Brazil.
> I have Outlook 2003 (supposedly updated to now) on Vista Home. I don't
> know
> what Windows server is exacly.
> Any way, since some months I'm receiving emails from specific
> correspondents
> in plain text (header + formatting info + text + attchements, decoded in
> ASCII text, even photos).
> I red the Hotfix Article you suggested to Dena Jo, though my situation is
> not clearly described on it, at least in one of the cases there is a
> result
> just like the ones I've been having.
> Do you think the hotfix in question is applicable to my case?
> I would appreciate if you give any help. Thanks
>
> sgcfreitas
>
> "Diane Poremsky {MVP}" wrote:
>
>> We know of an issue on Vista which is fixed by a hotfix
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951982) I don't see where it says vista
>> only, so it might also work for xp.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> "Dena Jo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> > All of a sudden in the last few weeks, subscription emails that had
>> > always come to me as beautiful html pages now come as text, with a
>> > bunch of links and no images.   I'm thinking maybe it was an update
>> > that's caused the problem.  I'm using Outlook 2003 (11.8206.8202) SP3
>> > on Win XP.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Dena Jo
>> >
>> > Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
>> >
>> > Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html

0
outlookmvp1 (464)
6/13/2008 6:41:28 PM
Thanks Diane.
I have installed the hotfix but any significant result has been noted until
now.
I will email you back if I have an answer.
--
sergio

"Diane Poremsky {MVP}" wrote:

> I would certainly try it. AFAIK, it does apply to Vista as well as XP and it
> won't install if its not for your OS.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> ** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
> when requesting assistance **
>

> "sgcfreitas" <sgcfreitas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Diana,
> > It's Sergio from Brazil.
> > I have Outlook 2003 (supposedly updated to now) on Vista Home. I don't
> > know
> > what Windows server is exacly.
> > Any way, since some months I'm receiving emails from specific
> > correspondents
> > in plain text (header + formatting info + text + attchements, decoded in
> > ASCII text, even photos).
> > I red the Hotfix Article you suggested to Dena Jo, though my situation is
> > not clearly described on it, at least in one of the cases there is a
> > result
> > just like the ones I've been having.
> > Do you think the hotfix in question is applicable to my case?
> > I would appreciate if you give any help. Thanks
> >
> > sgcfreitas
> >
> > "Diane Poremsky {MVP}" wrote:
> >
> >> We know of an issue on Vista which is fixed by a hotfix
> >> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951982) I don't see where it says vista
> >> only, so it might also work for xp.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> >> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> >> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
> >>
> >> Outlook Tips by email:
> >> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
> >> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> >> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
> >>
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> >>

> >> "Dena Jo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

Problems with creating a newsletter

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Display of UML State Transition Event
Dear Group, I am attempting to use the UML Statechart with a couple of states and a transition between them. I select properties, Events, Change Event type, say, and can see ChangeEvent1 in the property window but... ....when I Ok back to the drawing the ChangeEvent1 is not displayed by the transition. I can enter actions in a similar way and they are displayed. How cna I get the event visible too in the drawing? Surely this is the most important aspect of a transition i.e. what caused it, regards, Colin Smith ...

Sending Email #6

parameter for text

Problem displaying expected results with CString
I am writing a MFC program to import data from a single table database into a normalized database with numerous tables. The first component opens a recordset object to the database and performs some basic tests on the field value, and the plan is to write the records out to a spreadsheet that fail to meet any of the criteria defined for the field. Along with writing out the record, I want to populate a comments field describing what failed. I have tried to implement this with a CString variable; I initialize it to a blank string each time a new record is examined, and then as each field is che...

CRM Email Displays Size=2>

Email cannot be resolved...

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

Recurring email #2

display in taskbar in excel 2000
Hello, Have a problem! I work with Office 2000 and excel does not open more than onw screen in the taskbar. Windows in Taskbar, I checked in Excel. Clustered display is turned off in the properties of the Taskbar. Can anyone help me with this problem prog, get it only if I 2x open excel. Regards Rob Hi Rob, I can't figure out what exactly what is happening in your excel but try this, Go to TOOLS (Menu Bar) then OPTIONS, in VIEW tab just CHECK the Windows in Taskbar. Hope this will help. ~jaeson ...

ACC: How to Display Line Numbers on Subform Records
I found this article on MS' website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q120913/ but ran into problems when I pasted the code and tried to compile it. It gives a Compile Error: Method or data member not found when it reached the line below: RS.FindFirst "[" & KeyName & "] = " & KeyValue and it highlights "FindFirst". I have a sub-form (child) of a parent form's and I have a variable in the child that the user currently manually increments from 1,2,3 and so forth. Can this not be done w/o the user's intervention? Hi, ...

Text box in Embedded chart is cut off
Hi. I am having a problem with an embedded chart that appears differently in word versus how it appeared originally in Excel. Specifically, the top of the chart (in excel) has a text box that divides the chart (it is a vertical bar graph) into subcategories (labels at the bottom are used to specify what each bar signifies; but these are taken from the associated cell range). Originally, the chart was labeled by a single text box, separated by spaces: Lifetime Use 30-Day Use Heavy Use Antisocial Behavior When this chart is linked in word, the text displays like this (tho&...

Inbox Icons not changing when email forwarded or replied to
This may seem like an insignicant issue, but when you have hundreds of emails in your inbox, it is extremely important to know which ones you have forwarded and which ones you have replied to. Unfortunately, my inbox icons do not change when I reply to a message or forward a message. They also remain as the "Read Message" icon. I have searched the Knowledge Base, but I have been unable to find an answer to this seemingly simple issue. I am using Outlook 2000. Appreciate any assistance, James ...