how to set up account protection for Outlook 2003?

Hi all,

I have two questions. I need your help!

Q1:

Both my roommate and I use our computer to check emails.

Can Outlook 2003 be configured to support multiple users -- she and I both
have each own separate mailbox in Outlook 2003 and no privacy will be
compromised and we use "username" and "password" to get into each person's
mailbox in Outlook 2003?

Because we want to be able to have Outlook open all the time and download
all emails automatically from our multiple email accounts: such as company
email account, yahoo, hotmail, etc. We don't want to check multiple
web-based email: that's troublesome. We like the feature that Outlook can be
open all the time and download all emails automatically into local mailbox.

How to configure the Outlook 2003 to support multiple users?

Q2:

Again for the feature of automation, and for the SINGLE user case: I want to
open the Outlook all the time and want it to download my emails from
multiple servers/accounts into local mailbox. But I want to have a username
and password so that after a few minutes that I don't browse my email, the
Outlook2003 will lock down my account and show a irrelavent screensaver. I
don't want the whole PC to show a lock-down screensaver because I want my
roommate to be able to use the computer. I just want the Outlook 2003 still
open, and still download my emails... but it can set a lock/screensaver to
my emails so nobody can access my emails even though they can use my
computer....

Note that I don't want to close the Outlook 2003. In fact, the Outlook 2003
has a security feature to set up a password: everytime I start Outlook 2003,
I have to enter my password to continue to access my mailbox folder... But
once I enter the password, it remains open all time; there is no screensaver
to make it not accessible anymore. The only way to regain that security is
to close the Outlook 2003. And then when I want to read my emails, I have to
launch the Outlook 2003 again to be asked the password. But this is
troublesome and time-consuming: I want the program to download all my emails
automatically so when I want to read emails, I don't need to launch the
program.

Please help me!

thanks a lot!

0
losemind (8)

Not possible.  You will either need to use a password protected .pst file
AND a password protected screensaver, or close Outlook each time you are
finished.  There is no Outlook only screensaver available - it is
system-wide or not at all.

BTW - I have removed irrelvant groups from this posting - please try to keep
it to relevant groups only and then only a couple.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, lucy asked:

| Hi all,
|
| I have two questions. I need your help!
|
| Q1:
|
| Both my roommate and I use our computer to check emails.
|
| Can Outlook 2003 be configured to support multiple users -- she and I
| both have each own separate mailbox in Outlook 2003 and no privacy
| will be compromised and we use "username" and "password" to get into
| each person's mailbox in Outlook 2003?
|
| Because we want to be able to have Outlook open all the time and
| download all emails automatically from our multiple email accounts:
| such as company email account, yahoo, hotmail, etc. We don't want to
| check multiple web-based email: that's troublesome. We like the
| feature that Outlook can be open all the time and download all emails
| automatically into local mailbox.
|
| How to configure the Outlook 2003 to support multiple users?
|
| -----------------------------------------------
|
| Q2:
|
| Again for the feature of automation, and for the SINGLE user case: I
| want to open the Outlook all the time and want it to download my
| emails from multiple servers/accounts into local mailbox. But I want
| to have a username and password so that after a few minutes that I
| don't browse my email, the Outlook2003 will lock down my account and
| show a irrelavent screensaver. I don't want the whole PC to show a
| lock-down screensaver because I want my roommate to be able to use
| the computer. I just want the Outlook 2003 still open, and still
| download my emails... but it can set a lock/screensaver to my emails
| so nobody can access my emails even though they can use my
| computer....
|
| Note that I don't want to close the Outlook 2003. In fact, the
| Outlook 2003 has a security feature to set up a password: everytime I
| start Outlook 2003, I have to enter my password to continue to access
| my mailbox folder... But once I enter the password, it remains open
| all time; there is no screensaver to make it not accessible anymore.
| The only way to regain that security is to close the Outlook 2003.
| And then when I want to read my emails, I have to launch the Outlook
| 2003 again to be asked the password. But this is troublesome and
| time-consuming: I want the program to download all my emails
| automatically so when I want to read emails, I don't need to launch
| the program.
|
| Please help me!
|
| thanks a lot!

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
2/12/2005 5:34:52 AM
Not sure if this will work but maybe someone can confirm.
What if you set up 3 pc users. One for you, one for your friend and one
generic.
Log in open Outlook and then switch users to your friend. Open Outlook there
and then switch user to geneic.

Would Outlook still check email for users log in but swirched to another user?
Get what I mean?
Then again it my just be easier for one of you to use Outlook and the other
Outlook Express

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> Not possible.  You will either need to use a password protected .pst file
> AND a password protected screensaver, or close Outlook each time you are
> finished.  There is no Outlook only screensaver available - it is
> system-wide or not at all.
>
> BTW - I have removed irrelvant groups from this posting - please try to keep
> it to relevant groups only and then only a couple.
>

> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After furious head scratching, lucy asked:
>
> | Hi all,
> |
> | I have two questions. I need your help!
> |
> | Q1:
> |
> | Both my roommate and I use our computer to check emails.
> |
> | Can Outlook 2003 be configured to support multiple users -- she and I
> | both have each own separate mailbox in Outlook 2003 and no privacy
> | will be compromised and we use "username" and "password" to get into
> | each person's mailbox in Outlook 2003?
> |
> | Because we want to be able to have Outlook open all the time and
> | download all emails automatically from our multiple email accounts:
> | such as company email account, yahoo, hotmail, etc. We don't want to
> | check multiple web-based email: that's troublesome. We like the
> | feature that Outlook can be open all the time and download all emails
> | automatically into local mailbox.
> |
> | How to configure the Outlook 2003 to support multiple users?
> |
> | -----------------------------------------------
> |
> | Q2:
> |
> | Again for the feature of automation, and for the SINGLE user case: I
> | want to open the Outlook all the time and want it to download my
> | emails from multiple servers/accounts into local mailbox. But I want
> | to have a username and password so that after a few minutes that I
> | don't browse my email, the Outlook2003 will lock down my account and
> | show a irrelavent screensaver. I don't want the whole PC to show a
> | lock-down screensaver because I want my roommate to be able to use
> | the computer. I just want the Outlook 2003 still open, and still
> | download my emails... but it can set a lock/screensaver to my emails
> | so nobody can access my emails even though they can use my
> | computer....
> |
> | Note that I don't want to close the Outlook 2003. In fact, the
> | Outlook 2003 has a security feature to set up a password: everytime I
> | start Outlook 2003, I have to enter my password to continue to access
> | my mailbox folder... But once I enter the password, it remains open
> | all time; there is no screensaver to make it not accessible anymore.
> | The only way to regain that security is to close the Outlook 2003.
> | And then when I want to read my emails, I have to launch the Outlook
> | 2003 again to be asked the password. But this is troublesome and
> | time-consuming: I want the program to download all my emails
> | automatically so when I want to read emails, I don't need to launch
> | the program.
> |
> | Please help me!
> |
> | thanks a lot!

What version of Windows are you using? Why not simply set up separate
Windows user accounts?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

"lucy" <losemind@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have two questions. I need your help!
>
> Q1:
>
> Both my roommate and I use our computer to check emails.
>
> Can Outlook 2003 be configured to support multiple users -- she and I both
> have each own separate mailbox in Outlook 2003 and no privacy will be
> compromised and we use "username" and "password" to get into each person's
> mailbox in Outlook 2003?
>
> Because we want to be able to have Outlook open all the time and download
> all emails automatically from our multiple email accounts: such as company
> email account, yahoo, hotmail, etc. We don't want to check multiple
> web-based email: that's troublesome. We like the feature that Outlook can
> be open all the time and download all emails automatically into local
> mailbox.
>
> How to configure the Outlook 2003 to support multiple users?

> Q2:
>
> Again for the feature of automation, and for the SINGLE user case: I want
> to open the Outlook all the time and want it to download my emails from
> multiple servers/accounts into local mailbox. But I want to have a
> username and password so that after a few minutes that I don't browse my
> email, the Outlook2003 will lock down my account and show a irrelavent
> screensaver. I don't want the whole PC to show a lock-down screensaver
> because I want my roommate to be able to use the computer. I just want the
> Outlook 2003 still open, and still download my emails... but it can set a
> lock/screensaver to my emails so nobody can access my emails even though
> they can use my computer....
>
> Note that I don't want to close the Outlook 2003. In fact, the Outlook
> 2003 has a security feature to set up a password: everytime I start
> Outlook 2003, I have to enter my password to continue to access my mailbox
> folder... But once I enter the password, it remains open all time; there
> is no screensaver to make it not accessible anymore. The only way to
> regain that security is to close the Outlook 2003. And then when I want to
> read my emails, I have to launch the Outlook 2003 again to be asked the
> password. But this is troublesome and time-consuming: I want the program
> to download all my emails automatically so when I want to read emails, I
> don't need to launch the program.
>
> Please help me!
>
> thanks a lot!

0
dmitry1 (75)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

password protection paramenters
Hello, I want to be able to unprotect my sheet, add a wordart graphi and reprotect my sheet. The problem I am having is when I do this wit code the file is protected with the default parameters selected. I wan to be able to enable wordart so I can insert a wordart object and the protect the sheet again. I want to get around the user being able to just delect the added wor art. When protected I would like the following parameters to be set: Allow users to select locked cells select Unlocked cells format cells format rows Its the "edit objects" parameter that needs to be enabled fo...

Invalid Account on the Security Tab
I deleted an account from AD, and it was listed under the security tab of my server (in ESM), to have full mailbox rights to the information store. I tried removing the inherited permissions, and removing the acct. The I set the inherited permissions back, and the invalid acct. comes back. Does anyone know how I can remove this invalid acct. from the security tab? Thanks. Remove it from the top-level where it was granted permissions. When you set inherited permissions and the account comes back, that means that that account has been granted permissions at a higher level. If you'v...

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails