how to set ad-hoc return address in Outlook 2007?

To keep myself sane and practically eliminate the need for bayesian spam
filtering, I have my mail server set up to use adhoc aliases.

When an incoming message gets received, it looks to see whether there's a
hyphen in the local portion of the address (as in,
'foo-something@mydomain.net'). If there is, it delivers the message to the
account matched by the text on the left side of the hyphen, but preserves
everything on the right side for downstream spam filtering. I make up new
addresses for everyone who sends mail to me (like 'foo-dad@mydomain.net',
'foo-amazon@mydomain.net', 'foo-someonelikely2spam@mydomain.net', etc). That
way, if someone's address book gets sniffed by a trojan and my address falls
into spammer hands, all I have to do is set a procmail rule to silently
blackhole incoming mail sent to that alias, and make the person who used to
use that address send mail to a new address instead.

It works brilliantly. I no longer have to worry that some idiot friend or
coworker will carelessly destroy yet another email address of mine by sending
me a "free" online greeting card, or otherwise giving up my address in ways
that I myself never would. And when I encounter a website that extorts my
address, it's no big deal. I just make up a unique address for that site, and
if I start getting spammed, I just nuke that alias.

On a typical day, my procmail script kills about 24,000 incoming emails from
spammers sent to compromised aliases I've blackholed, and 99% of the rest are
good. When I find spam, all I have to do is check to see what alias it was
addressed to, add it to the blackhole list, and kick a note over to the
person to whom it originally belonged to let them know that future mail has
to be sent to a new address.

Therein lies the catch -- when replying to an incoming email message, I need
to have Outlook sniff the actual message to see what the address was (because
the actual mail server account literally tells only "half the story" -- the
part that would go on the left side of the hyphen), and allow me to easily
enter an arbitrary return address when I create a new message. For the past
couple of years I've used Thunderbird (which has always had a nice plugin to
do just that), but now that I have Outlook 2k7 handy to play with, I've
decided to give it a fair shot to see if it can do what I need.

Can it? How?
0
S1 (162)

the best you can do in outlook in type any address in the from field.
outlook won't show you who it was sent to unless the address is in the To
field with no display name - you'll need to look at the header.  You could
use rules to flag messages based on the address, but you'll need a rule for
each address. If you do this, you can use the Flag to field (flag message
for follow action) to display the actual address.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Jeff S" <Jeff S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To keep myself sane and practically eliminate the need for bayesian spam
> filtering, I have my mail server set up to use adhoc aliases.
>
> When an incoming message gets received, it looks to see whether there's a
> hyphen in the local portion of the address (as in,
> 'foo-something@mydomain.net'). If there is, it delivers the message to the
> account matched by the text on the left side of the hyphen, but preserves
> everything on the right side for downstream spam filtering. I make up new
> addresses for everyone who sends mail to me (like 'foo-dad@mydomain.net',
> 'foo-amazon@mydomain.net', 'foo-someonelikely2spam@mydomain.net', etc).
> That
> way, if someone's address book gets sniffed by a trojan and my address
> falls
> into spammer hands, all I have to do is set a procmail rule to silently
> blackhole incoming mail sent to that alias, and make the person who used
> use that address send mail to a new address instead.
>
> It works brilliantly. I no longer have to worry that some idiot friend or
> coworker will carelessly destroy yet another email address of mine by
> sending
> me a "free" online greeting card, or otherwise giving up my address in
> ways
> that I myself never would. And when I encounter a website that extorts my
> address, it's no big deal. I just make up a unique address for that site,
> and
> if I start getting spammed, I just nuke that alias.
>
> On a typical day, my procmail script kills about 24,000 incoming emails
> from
> spammers sent to compromised aliases I've blackholed, and 99% of the rest
> are
> good. When I find spam, all I have to do is check to see what alias it was
> addressed to, add it to the blackhole list, and kick a note over to the
> person to whom it originally belonged to let them know that future mail
> has
> to be sent to a new address.
>
> Therein lies the catch -- when replying to an incoming email message, I
> need
> to have Outlook sniff the actual message to see what the address was
> (because
> the actual mail server account literally tells only "half the story" --
> the
> part that would go on the left side of the hyphen), and allow me to easily
> enter an arbitrary return address when I create a new message. For the
> past
> couple of years I've used Thunderbird (which has always had a nice plugin
> do just that), but now that I have Outlook 2k7 handy to play with, I've
> decided to give it a fair shot to see if it can do what I need.
>
> Can it? How?

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

AD Sync problem

invalid email address

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Setting a dynamic range in a formula

cannot open hyper links in outlook

using the journal on outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

Terminal Server and GP Settings
Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a question for somebody who is. When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under their user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the settings for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this thinking correct? -- Charles Allen, MVP I think you also have to make certain that the dex.ini does NOT exist in the program install location for GP or it will still look to that. Dwight...