How to properly transfer an outlook.pst file?

For years I have struggled with "transferring" Outlook's .pst file, e.g.,
when doing a complete re-install of Windows or when a client buys a new PC
and wants their Outlook data transferred from their backup files. Invariably
something gets botched up and this usually means I have to spend hours
trying to resolve the mess created. I am assuming there must be a proper way
to do this and obviously I'm not doing it. What I'm hoping for is that
someone will provide a step-by-step procedure that WORKS.

My general practice has been to install Office, open Outlook and create a
new account when prompted. I then simply copy the backup copy of the
"outlook.pst" file into "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" and overwrite the newly created
..pst file. That just doesn't work. Most often this results in the Address
Book not being associated with the Contacts, etc. So again, what I'm wanting
to do is to use the backup "outlook.pst" file as the one and only .pst file
for a new installation of Outlook..... let's narrow it down to Outlook 2003.

Copy the .pst file to anyplace EXCEPT the default location - My =
Documents is a good place as it tends to be backed up.  Then "open" the =
file in Outlook.  Another method that seems to work is to do the =
copying, then rename the .pst file that Outlook creates to .old, open =
Outlook and when it whines about no .pst file, point it to the one in My =
Documents. =20

--=81
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading. =20

After furious head scratching, Hapkido asked:

| For years I have struggled with "transferring" Outlook's .pst file,
| e.g., when doing a complete re-install of Windows or when a client
| buys a new PC and wants their Outlook data transferred from their
| backup files. Invariably something gets botched up and this usually
| means I have to spend hours trying to resolve the mess created. I am
| assuming there must be a proper way to do this and obviously I'm not
| doing it. What I'm hoping for is that someone will provide a
| step-by-step procedure that WORKS.=20
|=20
| My general practice has been to install Office, open Outlook and
| create a new account when prompted. I then simply copy the backup
| copy of the "outlook.pst" file into "C:\Documents and
| Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"
| and overwrite the newly created .pst file. That just doesn't work.
| Most often this results in the Address Book not being associated with
| the Contacts, etc. So again, what I'm wanting to do is to use the
| backup "outlook.pst" file as the one and only .pst file for a new
| installation of Outlook..... let's narrow it down to Outlook 2003.
0
MillyS (3228)
12/4/2006 1:27:05 AM
Is there a problem with putting it in the default location (apart from the fact that it will not get
backed up unless I make a conscious effort to back it up)?

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
Copy the .pst file to anyplace EXCEPT the default location - My Documents is a good place as it
tends to be backed up.  Then "open" the file in Outlook.  Another method that seems to work is to do
the copying, then rename the .pst file that Outlook creates to .old, open Outlook and when it whines
about no .pst file, point it to the one in My Documents.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

0
Jay
12/4/2006 9:19:52 AM
Since Outlook almost always has created another PST file in that location,
you will very likely overwrite another PST file and corrupt your profile.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jay" <nospam> wrote in message
> Is there a problem with putting it in the default location (apart from the
> fact that it will not get
> backed up unless I make a conscious effort to back it up)?
>
> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
> <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
> Copy the .pst file to anyplace EXCEPT the default location - My Documents
> is a good place as it
> tends to be backed up.  Then "open" the file in Outlook.  Another method
> that seems to work is to do
> the copying, then rename the .pst file that Outlook creates to .old, open
> Outlook and when it whines
> about no .pst file, point it to the one in My Documents.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

0
russval1 (2100)
12/4/2006 10:13:30 AM
"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
<MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
Copy the .pst file to anyplace EXCEPT the default location - My Documents is
a good place as it tends to be backed up.  Then "open" the file in Outlook.
Another method that seems to work is to do the copying, then rename the .pst
file that Outlook creates to .old, open Outlook and when it whines about no
..pst file, point it to the one in My Documents.

--�

I have been able to transfer all my folders and POP3 mail across to a new
installation of Vista and Office 2007 without any problems, apart from my
Hotmail and IMAP accounts.

I have the .pst files from the old installation (same OS and Office 2007)
but I can't seem to be able to add them in Account Settings.

As they are Hotmail and IMAP accounts, I can always download the actual
messages again with a problem.  The only hassle is having to type in all the
account and server information again.

I have all the files from the old OS installation, and I can even access the
registry hives using a stand alone registry editor - so is there a way to
extract this information from the old installation and inject it to my new
one somehow?

Cheers

ss.

Hapkido wrote:
> For years I have struggled with "transferring" Outlook's .pst file, e.g.,
> when doing a complete re-install of Windows or when a client buys a new PC
> and wants their Outlook data transferred from their backup files. Invariably
> something gets botched up and this usually means I have to spend hours
> trying to resolve the mess created. I am assuming there must be a proper way
> to do this and obviously I'm not doing it. What I'm hoping for is that
> someone will provide a step-by-step procedure that WORKS.

The process that "invariably gets botched up" - is it the
Import/Export function?  That's what I use, and it usually
works OK.

1. Set up the new computer's copy of Outlook as if it were a
    new user.

2.  Transfer the old PST file to a subdirectory of the new setup's
     default location, I usually call it OldOutlook, I'll retain it for
     a little while as a backup.

3.  In Outlook, click File\Import and Export.  Choose Import from
    another program or file.  Select file type Personal Folder (.pst).

4.  Choose the old PST file.  Since the new PST file is empty,
     it shouldn't matter which radio button you select for importing
     dupicate items, but I tell it not to import duplicates just in
case.

5.  On the Import Personal Folders window that comes up, choose
     the old PST file's main folder to import from, make sure the
     Include subfolders checkbox is checked, and select the radio
     button to Import items into the same folder in:.  From the drop
     down list, choose the main folder of the new PST file.  Click
Finish.

This should move all emails, calendar items, tasks, contacts, etc.
Check to make sure, and you can open the old PST file and
manually copy anything that didn't make it.  This way the new
profile will be clean and properly set up for address book and
everything.

Sometimes when I'm doing this I manually copy things, especially
if the user doesn't need all his old emails.  If doing so manually,
make sure that you don't just click and drag things like the Inbox,
it'll just make a seperate Inbox1 folder in the new PST - you've got
to move emails and subfolders individually (or with Edit/Select All
for emails) when moving things manually.

--
Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet

firelock_ny@hotmail.com <firelock_ny@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The process that "invariably gets botched up" - is it the
> Import/Export function?  That's what I use, and it usually
> works OK.

Never export to or import from a PST.  You will lose information and you do
run the risk of messing up the mail profile.

> This should move all emails, calendar items, tasks, contacts, etc.

Perhaps, but it doesn't transfer Distribution Lists well (if at all), it
breaks associations between contacts and other items, and changes item
dates, amoung other things.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
12/4/2006 3:14:27 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:
> firelock_ny@hotmail.com <firelock_ny@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The process that "invariably gets botched up" - is it the
> > Import/Export function?  That's what I use, and it usually
> > works OK.
>
> Never export to or import from a PST.  You will lose information and you do
> run the risk of messing up the mail profile.

I never do it from the only copy of a PST, and I never do it
to a PST that's got anything important in it.

> > This should move all emails, calendar items, tasks, contacts, etc.
>
> Perhaps, but it doesn't transfer Distribution Lists well (if at all), it
> breaks associations between contacts and other items, and changes item
> dates, amoung other things.

Interesting - I haven't seen any of those issues come up,
and I've been doing it with PST's running from a couple of MB
to the GB size regularly with Office 2003 in an XP Pro SP2
environment.  I didn't do it as often with Office 2000 and Office XP,
as I recall having some unreliability issues with those.  Is your
environment similar?  Do the item date changes show up in mail
messages, calendar items, or what?

--
Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet

firelock_ny@hotmail.com <firelock_ny@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting - I haven't seen any of those issues come up,
> and I've been doing it with PST's running from a couple of MB
> to the GB size regularly with Office 2003 in an XP Pro SP2
> environment.  I didn't do it as often with Office 2000 and Office XP,
> as I recall having some unreliability issues with those.  Is your
> environment similar?  Do the item date changes show up in mail
> messages, calendar items, or what?

The data that doesn't survive exporting and importing has been listed here
numerous times.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
12/4/2006 8:36:30 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:
> firelock_ny@hotmail.com <firelock_ny@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting - I haven't seen any of those issues come up,
> > and I've been doing it with PST's running from a couple of MB
> > to the GB size regularly with Office 2003 in an XP Pro SP2
> > environment.  I didn't do it as often with Office 2000 and Office XP,
> > as I recall having some unreliability issues with those.  Is your
> > environment similar?  Do the item date changes show up in mail
> > messages, calendar items, or what?
>
> The data that doesn't survive exporting and importing has been listed here
> numerous times.

Guess I'll have to do some more searching - a few passes
through this newsgroup with a search engine have come
up with nothing besides you and another saying "Don't
use import/export, ever".

--
Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet

Posted here countless times, exporting and importing PST's will lose:
1.  Custom Forms
2.  Custom Views
3.  Connections between contacts and activities
4.  Received dates on mail
5.  Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6.  Journal connections
7.  Distribution Lists

Also, attempting to export and import an entire PST file will corrupt an
Outlook profile by creating a duplicate set of Personal Folders.
That is why we do not advise people to export and import a native file into
Outlook. You can certainly do so if you wish if none of these issues will
affect you.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
<firelock_ny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Brian Tillman wrote:
>> firelock_ny@hotmail.com <firelock_ny@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Interesting - I haven't seen any of those issues come up,
>> > and I've been doing it with PST's running from a couple of MB
>> > to the GB size regularly with Office 2003 in an XP Pro SP2
>> > environment.  I didn't do it as often with Office 2000 and Office XP,
>> > as I recall having some unreliability issues with those.  Is your
>> > environment similar?  Do the item date changes show up in mail
>> > messages, calendar items, or what?
>>
>> The data that doesn't survive exporting and importing has been listed
>> here
>> numerous times.
>
> Guess I'll have to do some more searching - a few passes
> through this newsgroup with a search engine have come
> up with nothing besides you and another saying "Don't
> use import/export, ever".
>
> --
> Walt Smith
> Firelock on DALNet

0
russval1 (2100)
12/4/2006 9:37:50 PM
@Milly: Thanks, but all that does is "Open" a new/second "Personal Folders".
I was wanting to "replace" the new one with the backup .pst file.

@Walt: Thanks..... that is EXACTLY what I was looking for and it worked
perfectly. Both you and Milly recommended copying the backup .pst file to
another folder which seemed to be the trick. Importing the backup .pst file
after that was easy. The only other thing I have to do is to re-create my
other Accounts because only my default Account was carried over. That's not
such a big deal. If there is a way to include ALL the Accounts I would
appreciate knowing how to do that too. :~)

> The process that "invariably gets botched up" - is it the
> Import/Export function?  That's what I use, and it usually
> works OK.
>
> 1. Set up the new computer's copy of Outlook as if it were a
>    new user.
>
> 2.  Transfer the old PST file to a subdirectory of the new setup's
>     default location, I usually call it OldOutlook, I'll retain it for
>     a little while as a backup.
>
> 3.  In Outlook, click File\Import and Export.  Choose Import from
>    another program or file.  Select file type Personal Folder (.pst).
>
> 4.  Choose the old PST file.  Since the new PST file is empty,
>     it shouldn't matter which radio button you select for importing
>     dupicate items, but I tell it not to import duplicates just in
> case.
>
> 5.  On the Import Personal Folders window that comes up, choose
>     the old PST file's main folder to import from, make sure the
>     Include subfolders checkbox is checked, and select the radio
>     button to Import items into the same folder in:.  From the drop
>     down list, choose the main folder of the new PST file.  Click
> Finish.
>
> This should move all emails, calendar items, tasks, contacts, etc.
> Check to make sure, and you can open the old PST file and
> manually copy anything that didn't make it.  This way the new
> profile will be clean and properly set up for address book and
> everything.
>
> Sometimes when I'm doing this I manually copy things, especially
> if the user doesn't need all his old emails.  If doing so manually,
> make sure that you don't just click and drag things like the Inbox,
> it'll just make a seperate Inbox1 folder in the new PST - you've got
> to move emails and subfolders individually (or with Edit/Select All
> for emails) when moving things manually.
>
> --
> Walt Smith
> Firelock on DALNet

Russ,

Although I didn't experience any of the problems listed below, since you
hold the imprimatur of "MVP-Outlook" what is YOUR recommendation if the
import/export utility is unacceptable? I've tried other methods and as I
stated before, most always there are issues which take lots of hoop-jumping
to resolve, e.g., duplicate "Personal Folders", disassociation between
Contacts and the Address Book, etc. Milly's suggestion is a good example,
which was to put the backup .pst file in another location other than the
default folder and use "File/Open". Yes, this allows access to the backup
..pst file but it also creates an additional "Personal Folder" which is also
unacceptable.

THANKS!!

> Posted here countless times, exporting and importing PST's will lose:
> 1.  Custom Forms
> 2.  Custom Views
> 3.  Connections between contacts and activities
> 4.  Received dates on mail
> 5.  Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
> 6.  Journal connections
> 7.  Distribution Lists
>
> Also, attempting to export and import an entire PST file will corrupt an
> Outlook profile by creating a duplicate set of Personal Folders.
> That is why we do not advise people to export and import a native file
> into Outlook. You can certainly do so if you wish if none of these issues
> will affect you.

Not if you take my advice and rename the new .pst file to .old and then =
browse to the new one when Outlook barfs upon opening.

--=81
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading. =20

After furious head scratching, Hapkido asked:

<snip>
| Milly's suggestion is a good example, which was to put the backup
| .pst file in another location other than the default folder and use
| "File/Open". Yes, this allows access to the backup .pst file but it
| also creates an additional "Personal Folder" which is also
| unacceptable.=20
|=20
| THANKS!!
|=20
| "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
|| Posted here countless times, exporting and importing PST's will lose:
|| 1.  Custom Forms
|| 2.  Custom Views
|| 3.  Connections between contacts and activities
|| 4.  Received dates on mail
|| 5.  Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
|| 6.  Journal connections
|| 7.  Distribution Lists
||=20
|| Also, attempting to export and import an entire PST file will
|| corrupt an Outlook profile by creating a duplicate set of Personal
|| Folders.=20
|| That is why we do not advise people to export and import a native
|| file into Outlook. You can certainly do so if you wish if none of
|| these issues will affect you.
0
MillyS (3228)
12/5/2006 4:28:11 AM
Hi,

Just to share for what seems to be working fine for me.

After the new installation, I'll just open Outlook and let it create a new
PST file.

Then copy and paste the old PST file to the default location to replace the
new file (and if file names are different, change the file name first), and
when I reopened Outlook, it seems to be "fooled" by the new PST file.

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
<MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
Copy the .pst file to anyplace EXCEPT the default location - My Documents is
a good place as it tends to be backed up.  Then "open" the file in Outlook.
Another method that seems to work is to do the copying, then rename the .pst
file that Outlook creates to .old, open Outlook and when it whines about no
..pst file, point it to the one in My Documents.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Hapkido asked:

| For years I have struggled with "transferring" Outlook's .pst file,
| e.g., when doing a complete re-install of Windows or when a client
| buys a new PC and wants their Outlook data transferred from their
| backup files. Invariably something gets botched up and this usually
| means I have to spend hours trying to resolve the mess created. I am
| assuming there must be a proper way to do this and obviously I'm not
| doing it. What I'm hoping for is that someone will provide a
| step-by-step procedure that WORKS.
|
| My general practice has been to install Office, open Outlook and
| create a new account when prompted. I then simply copy the backup
| copy of the "outlook.pst" file into "C:\Documents and
| Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"
| and overwrite the newly created .pst file. That just doesn't work.
| Most often this results in the Address Book not being associated with
| the Contacts, etc. So again, what I'm wanting to do is to use the
| backup "outlook.pst" file as the one and only .pst file for a new
| installation of Outlook..... let's narrow it down to Outlook 2003.

0
cou-cou (29)
12/5/2006 9:28:40 AM
You have shared the recipe for corrupting your profile.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just to share for what seems to be working fine for me.
>
> After the new installation, I'll just open Outlook and let it create a new
> PST file.
>
> Then copy and paste the old PST file to the default location to replace
> the new file (and if file names are different, change the file name
> first), and when I reopened Outlook, it seems to be "fooled" by the new
> PST file.
>

> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
> <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
> Copy the .pst file to anyplace EXCEPT the default location - My Documents
> is a good place as it tends to be backed up.  Then "open" the file in
> Outlook. Another method that seems to work is to do the copying, then
> rename the .pst file that Outlook creates to .old, open Outlook and when
> it whines about no .pst file, point it to the one in My Documents.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, Hapkido asked:
>
> | For years I have struggled with "transferring" Outlook's .pst file,
> | e.g., when doing a complete re-install of Windows or when a client
> | buys a new PC and wants their Outlook data transferred from their
> | backup files. Invariably something gets botched up and this usually
> | means I have to spend hours trying to resolve the mess created. I am
> | assuming there must be a proper way to do this and obviously I'm not
> | doing it. What I'm hoping for is that someone will provide a
> | step-by-step procedure that WORKS.
> |
> | My general practice has been to install Office, open Outlook and
> | create a new account when prompted. I then simply copy the backup
> | copy of the "outlook.pst" file into "C:\Documents and
> | Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"
> | and overwrite the newly created .pst file. That just doesn't work.
> | Most often this results in the Address Book not being associated with
> | the Contacts, etc. So again, what I'm wanting to do is to use the
> | backup "outlook.pst" file as the one and only .pst file for a new
> | installation of Outlook..... let's narrow it down to Outlook 2003.

0
russval1 (2100)
12/5/2006 10:09:18 AM
Microsoft has posted the only supported method in its Help files. Simply
open the other PST file in Outlook, set it to be the default PST file,
restart Outlook, then R click and close the original PST file created by
Outlook.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Hapkido" <hapkidomeister@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Russ,
>
> Although I didn't experience any of the problems listed below, since you
> hold the imprimatur of "MVP-Outlook" what is YOUR recommendation if the
> import/export utility is unacceptable? I've tried other methods and as I
> stated before, most always there are issues which take lots of
> hoop-jumping to resolve, e.g., duplicate "Personal Folders",
> disassociation between Contacts and the Address Book, etc. Milly's
> suggestion is a good example, which was to put the backup .pst file in
> another location other than the default folder and use "File/Open". Yes,
> this allows access to the backup .pst file but it also creates an
> additional "Personal Folder" which is also unacceptable.
>
> THANKS!!
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Posted here countless times, exporting and importing PST's will lose:
>> 1.  Custom Forms
>> 2.  Custom Views
>> 3.  Connections between contacts and activities
>> 4.  Received dates on mail
>> 5.  Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
>> 6.  Journal connections
>> 7.  Distribution Lists
>>
>> Also, attempting to export and import an entire PST file will corrupt an
>> Outlook profile by creating a duplicate set of Personal Folders.
>> That is why we do not advise people to export and import a native file
>> into Outlook. You can certainly do so if you wish if none of these issues
>> will affect you.

0
russval1 (2100)
12/5/2006 10:11:40 AM
Could I re-name the existing PST in it's default location, then put the old PST into this default
location, but with a different name so that Outlook still prompts me for the PST file?

"Jay" <nospam> wrote in message
> Is there a problem with putting it in the default location (apart from the
> fact that it will not get
> backed up unless I make a conscious effort to back it up)?
>
> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
> <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
> Copy the .pst file to anyplace EXCEPT the default location - My Documents
> is a good place as it
> tends to be backed up.  Then "open" the file in Outlook.  Another method
> that seems to work is to do
> the copying, then rename the .pst file that Outlook creates to .old, open
> Outlook and when it whines
> about no .pst file, point it to the one in My Documents.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

0
Jay
12/5/2006 1:11:35 PM
Jay <nospam> wrote:

> Could I re-name the existing PST in it's default location, then put
> the old PST into this default location, but with a different name so
> that Outlook still prompts me for the PST file?

That will work.
--
Brian Tillman
0
xfile <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote:

> After the new installation, I'll just open Outlook and let it create
> a new PST file.
>
> Then copy and paste the old PST file to the default location to
> replace the new file (and if file names are different, change the
> file name first), and when I reopened Outlook, it seems to be
> "fooled" by the new PST file.

An excellent recipe for corrupting your mail profile.
--
Brian Tillman
0

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
Copy the .pst file to anyplace EXCEPT the default location - My Documents is a good place as it
tends to be backed up.  Then "open" the file in Outlook.  Another method that seems to work is to do
the copying, then rename the .pst file that Outlook creates to .old, open Outlook and when it whines
about no .pst file, point it to the one in My Documents.

0
Jay
12/5/2006 1:21:03 PM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> Posted here countless times, exporting and importing PST's will lose:
> 1.  Custom Forms
> 2.  Custom Views
> 3.  Connections between contacts and activities
> 4.  Received dates on mail
> 5.  Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
> 6.  Journal connections
> 7.  Distribution Lists
>
> Also, attempting to export and import an entire PST file will corrupt an
> Outlook profile by creating a duplicate set of Personal Folders.
> That is why we do not advise people to export and import a native file into
> Outlook. You can certainly do so if you wish if none of these issues will
> affect you.

Ah-hah, as the saying goes.  In my location, we generally use
server-side calendars and contacts, and no-one uses Journal, so
that's why I haven't seen most of the list above.  Odd that I haven't
seen the loss of Recieved dates on emails, though...and you'd
think they'd have patched the Import/Export function by now.

--
Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet

Jay <nospam> wrote:

> Doesn't your first method result in two PST files always being open
> in Outlook, with two sets of inboxes, sent items, etc?

Sure, but then you change the delivery location and close the other PST
--
Brian Tillman
0

> You have shared the recipe for corrupting your profile.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just to share for what seems to be working fine for me.
>>
>> After the new installation, I'll just open Outlook and let it create a
>> new PST file.
>>
>> Then copy and paste the old PST file to the default location to replace
>> the new file (and if file names are different, change the file name
>> first), and when I reopened Outlook, it seems to be "fooled" by the new
>> PST file.
>>

>> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
>> <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Copy the .pst file to anyplace EXCEPT the default location - My Documents
>> is a good place as it tends to be backed up.  Then "open" the file in
>> Outlook. Another method that seems to work is to do the copying, then
>> rename the .pst file that Outlook creates to .old, open Outlook and when
>> it whines about no .pst file, point it to the one in My Documents.
>>
>> --�
>> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  All
>> unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
>> reading.
>>
>> After furious head scratching, Hapkido asked:
>>
>> | For years I have struggled with "transferring" Outlook's .pst file,
>> | e.g., when doing a complete re-install of Windows or when a client
>> | buys a new PC and wants their Outlook data transferred from their
>> | backup files. Invariably something gets botched up and this usually
>> | means I have to spend hours trying to resolve the mess created. I am
>> | assuming there must be a proper way to do this and obviously I'm not
>> | doing it. What I'm hoping for is that someone will provide a
>> | step-by-step procedure that WORKS.
>> |
>> | My general practice has been to install Office, open Outlook and
>> | create a new account when prompted. I then simply copy the backup
>> | copy of the "outlook.pst" file into "C:\Documents and
>> | Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"
>> | and overwrite the newly created .pst file. That just doesn't work.
>> | Most often this results in the Address Book not being associated with
>> | the Contacts, etc. So again, what I'm wanting to do is to use the
>> | backup "outlook.pst" file as the one and only .pst file for a new
>> | installation of Outlook..... let's narrow it down to Outlook 2003.

0
cou-cou (29)
12/6/2006 5:07:23 AM
I must admit that I've done this before (ie closed outlook and copied over the .PST file) and
everything seemed to be OK. It could just be that I don't use all the facilities in Outlook, so
haven't noticed a problem.

Where is the profile stored? Is it in a file or is it in the registry?

You have shared the recipe for corrupting your profile.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just to share for what seems to be working fine for me.
>
> After the new installation, I'll just open Outlook and let it create a new
> PST file.
>
> Then copy and paste the old PST file to the default location to replace
> the new file (and if file names are different, change the file name
> first), and when I reopened Outlook, it seems to be "fooled" by the new
> PST file.

0
Jay
12/6/2006 8:45:39 AM
Hi,

Refer to this MS article for profile: Description of user profiles and
information services in Outlook
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289467

And I quote from the article: "You can copy an existing user profile, rename
it, and then modify it as needed to create your profile. "

For personal address book: How to copy your Personal Address Book to another
computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829919

"Jay" <nospam> wrote in message
>I must admit that I've done this before (ie closed outlook and copied over
>the .PST file) and
> everything seemed to be OK. It could just be that I don't use all the
> facilities in Outlook, so
> haven't noticed a problem.
>
> Where is the profile stored? Is it in a file or is it in the registry?
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You have shared the recipe for corrupting your profile.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just to share for what seems to be working fine for me.
>>
>> After the new installation, I'll just open Outlook and let it create a
>> new
>> PST file.
>>
>> Then copy and paste the old PST file to the default location to replace
>> the new file (and if file names are different, change the file name
>> first), and when I reopened Outlook, it seems to be "fooled" by the new
>> PST file.

0
cou-cou (29)
12/6/2006 9:35:05 AM
I never said anything about corrupted files. I said corrupted profile.
Overwriting a PST file is the most common cause for duplicate (aka "ghost")
Personal Folders in a profile.
--
> Like I said, it works for me. I have never experienced any corrupted files
> from that method for 3 personal systems at home and 2 at work.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> You have shared the recipe for corrupting your profile.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just to share for what seems to be working fine for me.
>>>
>>> After the new installation, I'll just open Outlook and let it create a
>>> new PST file.
>>>
>>> Then copy and paste the old PST file to the default location to replace
>>> the new file (and if file names are different, change the file name
>>> first), and when I reopened Outlook, it seems to be "fooled" by the new
>>> PST file.
>>>

>>> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
>>> <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Copy the .pst file to anyplace EXCEPT the default location - My
>>> Documents is a good place as it tends to be backed up.  Then "open" the
>>> file in Outlook. Another method that seems to work is to do the copying,
>>> then rename the .pst file that Outlook creates to .old, open Outlook and
>>> when it whines about no .pst file, point it to the one in My Documents.
>>>
>>> --�
>>> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>>>
>>> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  All
>>> unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
>>> reading.
>>>
>>> After furious head scratching, Hapkido asked:

0
russval1 (2100)
12/6/2006 10:08:01 AM
Typo but never happened.

>I never said anything about corrupted files. I said corrupted profile.
>Overwriting a PST file is the most common cause for duplicate (aka "ghost")
>Personal Folders in a profile.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Like I said, it works for me. I have never experienced any corrupted
>> files from that method for 3 personal systems at home and 2 at work.
>>

>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You have shared the recipe for corrupting your profile.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message

0
cou-cou (29)
12/6/2006 10:20:47 AM
Then be aware that it does for most users. The later the version, the more
apt it is to happen.
--
> Typo but never happened.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I never said anything about corrupted files. I said corrupted profile.
>>Overwriting a PST file is the most common cause for duplicate (aka
>>"ghost") Personal Folders in a profile.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Like I said, it works for me. I have never experienced any corrupted
>>> files from that method for 3 personal systems at home and 2 at work.
>>>

>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

MS Money 95 data files

Transfer Money 98 to money 2004
I currently have Money 98 and i'am purchacing a new computer with money 2004, how can i transfer my current data to new computer w/ money 2004. In microsoft.public.money, Brad Karris wrote: >I currently have Money 98 and i'am purchacing a new >computer with money 2004, how can i transfer my current >data to new computer w/ money 2004. If you have a USB flash drive on the old machine, copy your .mny file there. Then copy the file to the new machine-- usually to your "My Documents" folder. In Windows Explorer, double-left-click the file on your new machine to ...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Crash on 'Send"

owa not resolving names properly
Exchange 5.5 sp4 - just recently OWA is not resolving addresses properly - the administrator at this site states: > There is a strange situation happening when using OWA to send emails. If > we try to send an email to an account out of our domain (i.e. > jravazzano@yahoo.com) the recipient name and domain get wrongly resolved > to our own domain thus generating a message undeliverable. > > For example using OWA a test email was sent to "jravazzano@yahoo.com" the > address gets resolved to j@ourdomain.com The admin is going to give me an account to test with, but...

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

cant start outlook pst file to large

Where is the workspace file stored?