How to make Outlook to invoke the IE browser instead of the Firefox browser

Hi,

Whenever I click a link in an email, outlook always invoke Firefox instead
of IE.  How do I set Outlook to invoke IE (although I prefer Firefox outside
the outlook environment)?  Could somebody help me out?  I looked through the
Tools -> Options but didn't find anything regarding settting association
programs.  Thanks for any help.

JD

0
jdt_young (239)

Outlook uses the default browser - so you'd need to set IE as default and
open FF when you want to browse with it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"JD" <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Whenever I click a link in an email, outlook always invoke Firefox instead
> of IE.  How do I set Outlook to invoke IE (although I prefer Firefox
> outside the outlook environment)?  Could somebody help me out?  I looked
> through the Tools -> Options but didn't find anything regarding settting
> association programs.  Thanks for any help.
>
> JD

0
outlookmvp (5838)
4/23/2009 6:42:45 PM
I thought about it.  I did change the default browser, and then close/reopen
my Outlook.  It still doesn't work.  If I double click on a html file, IE is
invokded.  It proves that IE is the default browser.  The only thing is that
the html file's icon is still FF's icon.  Any thought?  Thanks for any
further help.

JD

> Outlook uses the default browser - so you'd need to set IE as default and
> open FF when you want to browse with it.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
>
> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "JD" <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Whenever I click a link in an email, outlook always invoke Firefox
>> instead of IE.  How do I set Outlook to invoke IE (although I prefer
>> Firefox outside the outlook environment)?  Could somebody help me out?  I
>> looked through the Tools -> Options but didn't find anything regarding
>> settting association programs.  Thanks for any help.
>>
>> JD

0
jdt_young (239)
4/23/2009 9:35:35 PM
JD wrote:
> I thought about it.  I did change the default browser,

How?

  and then close/reopen
> my Outlook.  It still doesn't work.  If I double click on a html file, IE is
> invokded.  It proves that IE is the default browser.  The only thing is that
> the html file's icon is still FF's icon.  Any thought?  Thanks for any
> further help.
>
> JD
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Outlook uses the default browser - so you'd need to set IE as default and
>> open FF when you want to browse with it.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>
>> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
>> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>

>> "JD" <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Whenever I click a link in an email, outlook always invoke Firefox
>>> instead of IE.  How do I set Outlook to invoke IE (although I prefer
>>> Firefox outside the outlook environment)?  Could somebody help me out?  I
>>> looked through the Tools -> Options but didn't find anything regarding
>>> settting association programs.  Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> JD

I right-click on a html file, chose "Open with".  On the rclick menu, choose
"choose default program..".  Then select IE and also check "Always use the
selected program toopen this kind of file".

Thanks.
JD

"M" <nospam@onthispuppy.invalid> wrote in message
> JD wrote:
>> I thought about it.  I did change the default browser,
>
> How?

>  and then close/reopen
>> my Outlook.  It still doesn't work.  If I double click on a html file, IE
>> is invokded.  It proves that IE is the default browser.  The only thing
>> is that the html file's icon is still FF's icon.  Any thought?  Thanks
>> for any further help.
>>
>> JD
>>
>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Outlook uses the default browser - so you'd need to set IE as default
>>> and open FF when you want to browse with it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
>>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>>
>>> Outlook Tips by email:
>>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>>
>>> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
>>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>>
>>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>>
>>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
>>> your
>>> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>>

>>> "JD" <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
jdt_young (239)
4/24/2009 12:13:57 AM
JD wrote:
> I right-click on a html file, chose "Open with".  On the rclick menu, choose
> "choose default program..".  Then select IE and also check "Always use the
> selected program toopen this kind of file".
>
> Thanks.
> JD

Make sure in IE7 that IE7 is set as default. Open IE7, Tools/Internet
Options/Programs.

Just change the icon to the IE one  in the Icon\Properties\Customize

--
Peter

>I thought about it.  I did change the default browser, and then close/reopen my
>Outlook.  It still doesn't work.  If I double click on a html file, IE is invokded.
>It proves that IE is the default browser.  The only thing is that the html file's
>icon is still FF's icon.  Any thought?  Thanks for any further help.
>
> JD
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Outlook uses the default browser - so you'd need to set IE as default and open FF
>> when you want to browse with it.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>
>> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
>> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>

>> "JD" <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Whenever I click a link in an email, outlook always invoke Firefox instead of
>>> IE.  How do I set Outlook to invoke IE (although I prefer Firefox outside the
>>> outlook environment)?  Could somebody help me out?  I looked through the
>>> Tools -> Options but didn't find anything regarding settting association
>>> programs.  Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> JD

0
okf221 (388)
4/24/2009 2:25:17 AM
go through control panel, internet options, advanced tab.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

> I right-click on a html file, chose "Open with".  On the rclick menu,
> choose "choose default program..".  Then select IE and also check "Always
> use the selected program toopen this kind of file".
>
> Thanks.
> JD
>
> "M" <nospam@onthispuppy.invalid> wrote in message
>> JD wrote:
>>> I thought about it.  I did change the default browser,
>>
>> How?

>>  and then close/reopen
>>> my Outlook.  It still doesn't work.  If I double click on a html file,
>>> IE is invokded.  It proves that IE is the default browser.  The only
>>> thing is that the html file's icon is still FF's icon.  Any thought?
>>> Thanks for any further help.
>>>
>>> JD
>>>
>>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message

0
outlookmvp (5838)

MS Answers forum for Outlook Express?
So where is the new MS Answers forum for Outlook Express? Jack "Jack B" <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:ey4xA2wGLHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > So where is the new MS Answers forum for Outlook Express? > > Jack > XP - Networking, Mail And Getting Online Forum http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpnetwork/threads -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA Thanks. Jack -------------------------------- "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote...

Outlook Webmail Access Prompts for Domain
Previously when logging into Outlook webmail all that was required was a user name and password. Now all of a sudden it is requiring that a user enter a domain as well as a user name and password. Any idea why? Also where can it be corrected so that it would require only a login and password again. You probably install SP for Exchange and change logon.asp file this article may help http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/OWA2003Forms-based-Authentication-default-domain.html Nebojsa Seslija "Mike H." <Mike H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A436B135-1852...

mso.dll error and crash in Outlook 2002
Using Outlook 2002, i get repeated crashes of the program with the following error report ModName: mso.dll...can anyone please help with a solution. Regards AAS ...

strange window resizing glitches under XP (not strictly an MFC question but it's making my app look bad)
I've noticed a very ugly graphical "effect" when resizing a window under XP (Windows XP style / Silver appearance / ShowContentsWhileDragging). Resizing the right/bottom edges works like win2k (i.e. as expected) but dragging the left or top edge causes the right or bottom edges of the window frame to flicker like hell as the background pops through and then gets drawn over with the window contents. Try opening a large window of "My Computer" and then drag the left edge backwards and forwards across the screen quickly and repeatedly - not nice. There's also another...

How do I correct the (0X800CCCF4) error in Outlook 2003
I use Outlook 2003 as my email program. When trying to download messages from my Hotmail Plus account I recieve the following error message continiously -"Task Hotmail: folder: Inbox:Downloading all items.'reported error (0X800CCCF4): An unknown error has occured.'" ...

Outlook 2003 icon changes randomly
Not a big deal but very weird: My outlook icon (both on the desktop, and the QuickNav bar) changes every other time I restart Windows: Sometimes its the new orange icon Sometimes its the Office 2000 icon. Very strange. I'm running Windows 2000. I can't figure out how this could happen. When its showing the old icon, it still loads the new version. Also, if I right-click, properties...change icon, only the old icon shows in the list of choices. Any clues? Eric ...

Outlook 2002
Every time I start-up, recieve or send an email Windows Installer trys to run. I hit cancel and the action will complete normally. If I don't hit cancel, it asks for the install disk, however this is an exsisting company computer and the the original disk is nowhere to be found. This started when we were mistakenly told that a copy of Office 2007 that was purchased had two installs allowed. Word and Excel was loaded on this machine. We then discovered we were given bad info and uninstalled them. Outlook 2007 was never installed. Verify that no Office 2007 part is installed a...

Problems with a Folder in Outlook 2000 SR-1
I just started having a problem with MS-Outlook. One of my mail-folders called 'to review' cannot open, every time I open it to see what items are in it, it just makes a weird noise on my hard drive. I did a right click on the Outlook File name and checked the folder size, and it returned with an error message. All other folders (like 30 or so) return a valid folder size. After that I went and ran the Inbox Tool Repair Kit and that returned an error message on that folder as well and told me to run scandisk.....well boys and girls, I don't think Scandisk is on Win2K Pro. Also,...

cannot reply to some emails in outlook 2007
In some emails, i cannot seem to reply. I get a white area to type the reply, but when typing nothing appears. My signature doesn't appear automatically either, as it usually does. Other emails for some reason are just fine and I can reply to them without problem. Anyone have any suggestions? Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part of the virus scanner. For more details see; http://www.msoutlook.inf...

Outlook error message 03-10-10
Outlook 2007 error messages sending and receiving mail: (0x8007000E): Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again. Nothing else is open or running. I have restarted, but still cannot send or receive messages in Outlook. Please help! Do a google search on: "0x8007000E" (quotes excluded) - no shortage of results identifying possible causes and solutions that worked for different people. Not a "one size fits all" answer to the problem. One of many starting points: http://office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/m...

Backup in Outlook 2000-Updated
I'm running Outlook 2000 in Windows XP-Home, SP2. Have noticed for quite some time that the Backup addin will not automatically launch itself. Recent changes that I know of: - SP2 - now running a program that is part of Spybot called TeaTimer. This program protects the registry. - Avast! Antivirus (it has a plug-in that scans Outlook mail) I receive no error messages from the Backup routine. I can go into the options and click "Save Backup" and it will work fine the next time I exit Outlook. I just cannot get it to automatically do it after say, 5 days. Any ideas on the c...

Can I make a Cladogram using microsoft Excel?
I'm using microsoft offfice 2003 and was curious is there anyway I can make a caldogram using the program? I know that it is possible to make a family tree; however this is inifficient in depicting ancestoral progression of the species- which would be better display with a cladogram. Any Help greatly appreciated! Hi, Maybe fernando cinquegrani's cluster or grafi examples may help. http://www.prodomosua.it/ppage02.html It should be possible to construct a chart using a xy-scatter and various charting tricks. But a lot depends on how you have this data stored. Cheers Andy La...

trying to make a formula for percent if greater than a value
I am trying to create a formula that will calculate percent survival. Basically I have data in cells and I want to make a fomula that tests if there is a value greater than 0. I want my answer to be not the values in the box, but the number of cells with data greater than zero divided by the total number of cells. Then, I'd like to write another formula to average the values in those cells, but only if those cells have a value greater than zero. Can anyone help? I think I got this straight. In one instance, you want to count the number of cells in a range that are greater than z...

Outlook 2000 keeps hanging
I'm running outlook 2000 on Win ME and my machine keeps hanging when I try to exit Outlook. I use Word 2000 as my email editor. Additionally, the app takes a long time to load up and the performance is poor otherwise. I must have some kind of conflict with one of my applications? I know that there are still remnants of outlook express and MS Works on my computer, but I can't seem to wipe my computer of these apps completely. If I reinstall Word and Outlook will this help solve my problem? If so, does anyone have any advice as to how to do this properly? Is there any go...

New mail in Outlook / Exchange
I have a newly built Windows 2K server with ISA 2K and Exchange 2K on the same box. First I tried using the Server Publishing Rules - Publish a Server wizard to add the Exchange server to ISA. I could recieve mail but not send. I then used the Publishing - Secure Mail Server wizard which created several IP Packet Filter rules. I can now send and recieve...but the Outlook clients will only register that new mail is there if I do something else that connects to Exchange...like create a new message or open the calendar. Even doing a manual send/recieve doesn't work. Any ideas? On Sun, 24...

Can't delete Contacts in Address Book in Outlook 2000
It might be coincidental, but soon after I installed the Outlook Personal Folders Backup, it seems now I can't delete names from my Contacts and I want to delete names I no longer need to send e-mails to. When I attempt to delete those names, I get this message: Some names could not be deleted from the address list. The action could not be completed. Does anyone know how to get around this? ...

Send and receive e-mail on Office Outlook 2003 vs Outlook Express
Recently installed Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 and everything seems to be okay, calendar, tasks etc., except that my e-mail still goes to Outlook Express. How can I have just one system (Microsoft Office Outlook 2003) Remove your email accounts from OE. Have you set them up in Outlook yet? "Felix Stein" <Felix Stein@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8332AC71-6E21-41A8-B4EE-103FDFDDBB08@microsoft.com... > Recently installed Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 and everything seems to > be > okay, calendar, tasks etc., except that my e-mail still goes to...

Outlook has caused an error in OUTLLIB.DLL
I cannot reply to emails in OutLook 2000 without the following pop up 'Outlook has caused an error in OUTLLIB.DLL' then Outlook 2000 shuts down, I have tried erasing the software then reloading and I have reloaded win ME and still the same problem, I have come across others with same problem and they ended up trashing their PC because their does not seem to be answer for this problem anywhere on the net. I have erased all my contacts Erased all emails and info Reloaded software Reloaded win operating software Contacted techs who have no clue for it Any ideas anyone? Try renam...

Outlook 2003 Auto Send/Receive #2
Hi, i need help please, In my Outlook 2003 the Auto Send/Receive stopped working, to check my mails i have to manually click on send/receive so that i receive emails. I did check all the necessary options, and all are OK. and i did check to see if Work Offline is checked and its not. the Include this group in send/receive is checked, and Schedule an automatic send/receive every 10 min. is checked. I use regular POP3 mail with windows xp sp2. please if someone can help me solve this problem of mine. Thank you -- hyewiz With Outlook closed, find and delete the .srs file you will find us...

Import Master Category List in Outlook 2003 ?
I asked this in microsoft.public.outlook.general but did not receive a reply : Can anyone tell me how to import the Master Category List from my old installation of Outlook 2003 into my new install of the same version ? I exported everything else into a .pst file and got all my contacts etc but the Category List doesn't 't seem to be included ? Many thanks, Mike Probably a result of the import. Importing a .PST file does two things: A. You lose the following information: 1. Custom Forms 2. Custom Views 3. Connections between contacts and activities 4. Received dates on mail...

outlook 2003 and Exchange 5.5 (client drops to offline)
I have a number of workstations that are using outlook 2003 without any problem. However I have one workstation that continues to drop to offline mode and cannot send or recieve may. I uncheck the offline mode and then it goes in connected mode for about 10 minutes and then fails again. It then asks for username and password which it rejects, even using administrator. Anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this one? Thanks Scott Checked the physical connection already? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and ...

Outlook Express
I have been unable to determine how to store any autotext entries in Outlook. I am interested in being able to store different text and recall these texts as needed. Since our company handles many products, I need preset autotext entries that can be recalled and inserted into an email response depending on what product the customer is inquiring about. Can anyone offer any assistance with this? Thank you. Karen "karenn@durand-wayland.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b68101c43771$27a4cb40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have been unable to de...

Error Outlook 2000 #2
Expensive gentlemen,=20 I come for this way to request support mainly technician=20 due to a set of errors that have come to occur, with=20 programs of the Office, nominated the Microsoft Outlook=20 2000 and Microsoft Word 2000. Error in the Microsoft Outlook 2000:=20 The Error for the Microsoft Outlook 2000: 1.=BA - Always=20 that I open Outlook 2000, the message appears immediately=20 the following message: Error Outlook.exe has generated and=20 will beand will be closed by Windows. You will need you=20 restart the program. Error An log is being created.=20 Computer:=20 LapTop Marca:Comp...

Can not import Outlook 2003 PST into Outlook XP
Hi there, I am using MS Outlook XP and need to import a PST file that was generated in Outlook 2003. However when I try to do this I get the following error message: 'outlook.pst is not compatible with this version of the Personal Folders information service. Contact your administrator.' Is there anyway around this please? Any help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks, Gary. You'll need to use Outlook 2003 for this and create an Outlook 97-2002 pst-file and export the data to that file. For more info see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/downgradefromoutlook20...

Double e-mail in Outlook
Hi, One of my users Outlook often receive the same e-mail with two copies. Does anyone get any idea on what is happening? The user is using Outlook 2002 with the latest service pack and fixes. ...