How to make outlook perform more like Blackberry?

Hey all,

I have a simple question that probably has a complicated answer.

I find that sending email is much easier on my Blackberry than on
Outlook and I was wondering if there was anyway to incorporate some of
its best features into Outlook.

What I am mostly talking about is the "auto complete". I have thousands
of contacts (Upward of 4000+) and clicking the To: field to pick a
contact is a pain. In the blackberry I can simply start typing the
first name, last name or email and it will pull it up as a choice and
then I can select which email address I would like to use for that
contact. In outlook this doesn't work smoothly from auto complete or
even within the To: field.

For example John Smith with the email JSmith@aol.com I could type John,
Smith or JSmith and it would pull it up but outlook will only remember
the way the "display name" is set or the email its self. Also this only
works if I have sent the person an email before.

I thought I came up with half the solution which was to work offline
and send an email to all my contacts to add them (which would work
until I added somebody new) but all of the "display names" contain a
Mr/Ms and make it nearly useless as I won't want to type Mr. John Smith
to send him an email every time. There doesn't appear to be an option to
remove the title field from the display name as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions?

--
RaydenEG
0

What version of Outlook are you using? If you type enough of the name to be
unique then Outlook will find that person in your Contacts and resolve the
typed name to the e-mail address.  "John" probably won't do it (unless you
really don't have any other John's in your Contacts) but "John Sm" might.
And if you did just type "John" Outlook would simply prompt you for which
John you mean.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon

"RaydenEG" <RaydenEG.641f3d0@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message

> Hey all,
>
> I have a simple question that probably has a complicated answer.
>
> I find that sending email is much easier on my Blackberry than on
> Outlook and I was wondering if there was anyway to incorporate some of
> its best features into Outlook.
>
> What I am mostly talking about is the "auto complete". I have thousands
> of contacts (Upward of 4000+) and clicking the To: field to pick a
> contact is a pain. In the blackberry I can simply start typing the
> first name, last name or email and it will pull it up as a choice and
> then I can select which email address I would like to use for that
> contact. In outlook this doesn't work smoothly from auto complete or
> even within the To: field.
>
> For example John Smith with the email JSmith@aol.com I could type John,
> Smith or JSmith and it would pull it up but outlook will only remember
> the way the "display name" is set or the email its self. Also this only
> works if I have sent the person an email before.
>
> I thought I came up with half the solution which was to work offline
> and send an email to all my contacts to add them (which would work
> until I added somebody new) but all of the "display names" contain a
> Mr/Ms and make it nearly useless as I won't want to type Mr. John Smith
> to send him an email every time. There doesn't appear to be an option to
> remove the title field from the display name as far as I can tell.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> --
> RaydenEG

0
Ben
5/26/2010 7:06:46 AM
Using Outlook 2007. That window will come up in certain situations but I
am looking for more of a dummy proof system. Typing a name and hoping
the correct entry pops up is not really ideal

--
RaydenEG
0

"RaydenEG" <RaydenEG.642f0ee@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>> even within the To: field.
>>
>> For example John Smith with the email JSmith@aol.com I could type
>> John,
>> Smith or JSmith and it would pull it up but outlook will only
>> remember
>> the way the "display name" is set or the email its self. Also this
>> only
>> works if I have sent the person an email before.
>>
>> I thought I came up with half the solution which was to work offline
>> and send an email to all my contacts to add them (which would work
>> until I added somebody new) but all of the "display names" contain a
>> Mr/Ms and make it nearly useless as I won't want to type Mr. John
>> Smith
>> to send him an email every time. There doesn't appear to be an option
>> remove the title field from the display name as far as I can tell.

0
DL
5/26/2010 4:47:09 PM
Keep in mind that AutoComplete is not the same as AutoResolve.

This article might help a little:
http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/oab.html

Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
> [...]

>> even within the To: field.
>>
>> For example John Smith with the email JSmith@aol.com I could type
>> John,
>> Smith or JSmith and it would pull it up but outlook will only
>> remember
>> the way the "display name" is set or the email its self. Also this
>> only
>> works if I have sent the person an email before.
>>
>> I thought I came up with half the solution which was to work offline
>> and send an email to all my contacts to add them (which would work
>> until I added somebody new) but all of the "display names" contain a
>> Mr/Ms and make it nearly useless as I won't want to type Mr. John
>> Smith
>> to send him an email every time. There doesn't appear to be an option
>> remove the title field from the display name as far as I can tell.

0
Ben
5/26/2010 8:49:25 PM
I am aware of both of these issues. I am trying to make AutoComplete
better and more like that of a blackberry. A possible solution I came
up with was to send an email to all my contacts but they all Auto
Complete to their "display name" which contains a Mr. or a Ms. in front
and thus making it not useful. I guess this isn't possible but I would
sure think it would be as both Black Berries and Gmail and most other
email services seem to work better than Outlooks AutoComplete

--
RaydenEG
0

Outlook 2002 access on desktop AND laptop ???
Hello all, I'm currently running Outlook 2002 (Office XP) on my Desktop in my home office with XP Home as the OS. I'll soon be taking this desktop to a new office and purchasing a laptop for home use. This new laptop will also have XP Home as the operating system and Outlook 2002 . My question is: Is it possible to have the same access to my Outlook folders (inbox, sent items, contacts, calendar, etc...) on both my home laptop and my desktop that'll be in my office? I won't to be able to check (and send emails) from either location and have the same access to all my Outlook...

Outlook Web Access: Error on Page
The basic version of OWA works fine (other than frustrations with selecting email addresses from GAL and contacts folder when composing an email; suggestions on that are welcome), but the Premier version only half-works on some machines. Messages can be displayed, but clicking any "button" to show the address book, reply to, create, or forward email, etc, all create an "Error on page" message in the status bar. I've experienced no other java errors on other pages/sites. Does OWA require or prefer Microsoft VM over Sun's Java, or does ActiveX require any special c...

outlook.pst #8
What suggestions do you have to respond to the following error message? C:\Document and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\ Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst could not be accessed (cyclic redundancy check) Error 0x80040116 When I run Norton I am told "outlook.pst is corrupt" I am running Outlook from Office 2000 with Win2000 op sys on laptop Thanks "Don Mountan" <dmountan@lcia.com> wrote in message news:2ab63d40.0401280709.60104f18@posting.google.com... > What suggestions do you have to respond to the following error > message? > > C:...

Outlook 2003 sends my gmail through 2 steps, why??
I am using Outlook 2003 to send my gmail account through smtp.gmail.com. When I send mail in Outlook, it goes into the Outbox rather than get sent right away. Then from my outbox, I can send the email. This seems like a redundancy in efforts, how can I get Outlook to send it straight away? Look at the Tools Menu, then Options, then Mail Setup Tab. Check off the box "Send immediately when connected". -- Lenny V "Uncle Scotty" wrote: > I am using Outlook 2003 to send my gmail account through > smtp.gmail.com. When I send mail in Outlook, it goes into the Outbox...

Winfax 10 causes an error on Exit of Outlook 2003!!
Hi all Just installed Winfax 10 and since doing so, everytime I exit Outlook 2003 I get an error "Microsoft Office Outllok has encountered a problem and needs to close, We are sorry for this inconvenience." I did view the report prepared for sending to MS and there was mention of the Winfax plugin causing the problem. Anyone know of a workaround or perhaps I need to dump Winfax! Regards John Have you checked with Symantec yet to see if they have managed to get WinFax 10 to work with Outlook 2003? It usually takes them several months to bring WinFax up to speed, if they ever ...

How to used HOOK in OutLook Express
Hello All : I want to use hook control .When outlook express received new mail and remove the new eamil to myself mailbox . PS:Use C++ or HOOK .(not outlook express rule) Thanks Stiwin Lee ...

Outlook 2000 not fully closing
Windows XP Home Edition Outlook 2000 Everytime I open and close Outlook, another instance of the program will show up in Windows Task Manager. If I open and close Outlook three times, there will be three instances of Outlook in Windows Task Manager. I also get an email notification in the system tray, with the program closed, even though I've unchecked the notification box. Know what's going on? Thanks. Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle. 2. WinFax Pro (e...

Migration from ACT to CRM via Outlook with Business Contact Manage
We have been looking for a straightforward means of migrating ACT to CRM (reasonable cost and reasonable effort). Alternatives include manual reentry, Scribe Insight, CDF / DTS. Is the following migration path technically feasible? Documentation suggests that the following alternative might work: 1. Install Business Contact Manager (BCM) for Outlook. 2. Use the Business Contact Manager's Import wizard to capture Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities, etc., into Outlook with BCM. This would exploit the ACT/ BCM maps in IRIS. 3. Synchronize MS CRM with the BCM database in Outlook. Ho...

Redirect all mail in outlook
Hi, I used to have Outlook as my email-client. Now I use a web-based-one. How to move|redirect all my old mail to my new webbased? Solution is redirecting the email, but there is no function for redirecting multiple emails at once in Outlook. Somebody capable to make a script foro this? I imagine a script doing something like this: --- for each email{ redirect to email@domain.com} --- oeas <odd.aamot@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1167382209.428176.116930@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I used to have Outlook as my email-client. > Now I use a web-based-one. > ...

outlook dropping attachments
I am using Outlook 2000 for my Yahoo POP3 account and most of the files I attach to e-mails never make it to the recipient. I can see and open the files in the original version of the e-mail in my sent items folder, but they some how seem to dropped in transit. Does anyone know why this happens and how I can fix it? Thanks, Don Make sure your message format is plain text or html and consider disabling Word as your e-mail editor. (Only Microsoft Outlook understands Rich Text format) "dlp" <dlp@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23%23QAvvw5EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx...

Can't See Word Check Boxes in Outlook
I have a Word Document that I wish to send via the File->Send To->Mail Recipient once it is filled in. The document has questions that require the User to select a check box for the different selections (Excellent, Good, Poor, Very Poor). When I send the document, the check boxes show up in Outlook, however when the email arrives the check boxes are no longer there. Is there a way to have the check boxes show up in the email, or, are they somehow being stripped? ...

Forward in outlook 2002 / 2003
Hello, I have an e-mail which contains a form. This e-mail must be forwarded to a lot of recipients. I've tested some mail readers, without any problem. But, in MS Outlook 2002 / 2003, when I try to forward the message, the html code changes, converting my <form action='http://xxx' name='f'> into <form>. What I mean is that I lose the essential parameters to send the form. Of course, when I recieve the e-mail forwarded by outlook 2002/2003, and I try to submit the form, it can't be able to send the data, because it have no information about where and how ha...

How do I make Tags appear in a Process flowsheet in VISIO 2000 ?
Hi I am using Visio 2000 to create a process flowsheet. I am unable to see any Tags for the process equipments drawn on the sheet. Even the Hide Tag doesnt seem to be working. How do i make the Tags show up ? Thanks, Rahul Can you right click on the page to turn them on? Do you see the Process Engineering menu appear in the menu bar? -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Rahul" <Rahul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6789D41-D698-4F16-A4A9-231FD124A24D@microsoft.co...

Notification before sending external email with Outlook
Background: Using Exchange 2000 and Outlook2003. Does anyone know if there is a way to set Outlook to give some kind o warning notification if sending a message to an external recipient? B external I mean someone outside of your domain/domains. This comes ou of the fact that occasionally when using autofilled addresses a use will select the wrong "joebob" and end up emailing an externa "joebob@yourcompany.com" that happens to be in their address book instead of the internal "joebob@ourcompany.com". Any other thoughts on how to approch this would be appreciated. ...

outlook express #32
password not remembered even tho box checked, just installed oe6 have Xp.what do i do ? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroupsmicrosoft.public.windo...

Bad (blank) messages stopping Outlook
We are running Exchange 2003, and clients are accessing via Outlook and POP3. Occasionally, completely empty messages (no sender, no message, no body) will appear in mailboxes, and Outlook will choke. We must then go into OWA, which clearly shows the message to be completely empty, and delete the message before Outlook can receive again. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is there a fix/work-around? The message Outlook produces at that point is as follows: ---------- Task '(email account name) - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was...

Outlook hanging #2
When I open Outlook it is slow to check send/receive. Once open, it appears to be randomly hanging when I click on a message to open it. Especially those with attachments. I have to control, alt, delete to move on. When I open the details window in the error report window it has "szAppName:OUTLOOK.EXE szAppVer: 10.0.4510.0 szModName:hungapp szModVer: 0.0.0.0 offset:00000000". I can't seem to get past this problem, and have been unable to find anything to help me fix it. ...

Transferring Outlook to another computer
What files must be transferred to move outlook, all folder setups, shortcut bar things to another computer so that it comes up just like it was before? It would be helpful if you posted your versions. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "...

Outlook 2000 & Vista #2
Can anyone tell me whether Outlook 2000 (from Ofice 2000) is compatible with Vista? If so, where might I find support to complete the installation? I keep getting an "Operation Cancelled" message anytime I try to sign in or set Outlook 2000 as my default. Thanks -- Steve Only 2003 and above is fully compatible OL2k is out of support as is OLxp "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACAE99AB-0EAB-4523-9304-AFAB18AB724C@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me whether Outlook 2000 (from Ofice 2000) is compatible > with > Vista? I...

outlook 2002 sp3 send/receive interval
Outlook 2002 with sp3 How do I set my "send/receive interval"? Whenever I am > sending a large file, the task details box keeps adding > send/receive tasks and reducing the % completion from > 100% to 50%, to 33%, to 25% etc etc Tools-> Options-> tab Mail Setup-> button Send/Receive... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1e9d201c455bc$c9301280$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Out...

Outlook 2007 #19
Whenever I start Outlook 2007, I receive a message box which says Identity Switch Cancelled The current identity could not be changed because one of the applications was unable to switch. Close any open dialog boxes in other applications before trying again. Does anyone know how to correct the problem and prevent the message from appearing. ...

Known Outlook issue?
Background information- Docs Open 3.9.6 (File management software) Office XP (including Outlook) MS Exchange Server Issue: In the previous version of Outlook, you could attach a Word document to an email by generating it from DocsOpen (right-click on the document and select "Mail") without Outlook running in the background. You now have to open/launch Outlook before doing so. Otherwise you generate a "permissions" error. Is this a known problem and if so, will there be a service pack that will address this issue? (NOTE: It's more of an inconvenience than an iss...

previewing windows files in Outlook
Is there a way to preview or auto preview Windows documents using Outlook? I have placed shortcuts to various windows folders on my Outlook bar. When I open the folders in Outlook, there is no AutoPreview or preview pane feature. I would like to view these files in Outlook without having to open each file. I use Outlook 2000. Peter Henderson <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to preview or auto preview Windows > documents using Outlook? I have placed shortcuts to > various windows folders on my Outlook bar. When I open > the folders in...

outlook as my email tool
When I open Outlook lately I get an error messge that says RunTime Error This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the applicationsupport team for more info. I get out of Ouotlook and re-try immediateley then ( most of the time ) I can open Outlook and proceed with my email Waht am I doing wrong or is my computer not configured properly. Find and rename outcmd.dat - if that doesn't help, which version of outlook and OS? If Win2k or XP, look in the event viewer for more information about the error and post it here. We have too little to ...

outlook express 6 #34
I received an email from websiteline@aol.com I cannot delete it I cannot receive any more emails from my hotmaill address unless I go direct to hotmail I cannot send an email with outlook express in other words the whole thing is jammed up How do I delete this email It wont delete by clicking delete keith <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I received an email from websiteline@aol.com > I cannot delete it > I cannot receive any more emails from my hotmaill address > unless I go direct to hotmail > I cannot send an email with outlook express > in other ...