How to import .dbx files to Outlook e-mail program

When the motherboard on  my computer burned the repair people were able to
save all files. They created a backup disc and I successfully installed
everything on my new computer with one exception.  They were able to save my
"saved" e-mails from my former Outlook Express program.  So I have a file
from their disc titled "email Folders for import" which contains 13 folders.
These are dbx folders and I need help importing these into my current e-mail
program which is Outlook.  My new computer has Windows 7.  Can someone walk
me through the procedure. I, as you have guessed, am not very computer-smart.
 Thank you.

"Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When the motherboard on  my computer burned the repair people were able to
> save all files. They created a backup disc and I successfully installed
> everything on my new computer with one exception.  They were able to save
> my
> "saved" e-mails from my former Outlook Express program.  So I have a file
> from their disc titled "email Folders for import" which contains 13
> folders.
> These are dbx folders and I need help importing these into my current
> e-mail
> program which is Outlook.  My new computer has Windows 7.  Can someone
> walk
> me through the procedure. I, as you have guessed, am not very
> computer-smart.
> Thank you.

This will only work if included in that folder is a file called Folders.dbx.

Download and install Windows Live Mail.
Import the OE messages into WLM.
Then export from WLM to Outlook.
If the Folders.dbx file is missing then you will need a third-party tool to
extract the emails as .eml files which you can then drag and drop into WLM
and then export.

HTH

0
Gordon
2/20/2010 10:03:17 PM
 The Folders.dbx file is indeed included in the list.  Windows Live Mail is
on my computer and I "signed up" successfully.  Now...I have no idea how to
import and export as you suggested.  Sorry to be so slow on the uptake.  Can
you direct me the steps necessary.  Many thanks.

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When the motherboard on  my computer burned the repair people were able to
> > save all files. They created a backup disc and I successfully installed
> > everything on my new computer with one exception.  They were able to save
> > my
> > "saved" e-mails from my former Outlook Express program.  So I have a file
> > from their disc titled "email Folders for import" which contains 13
> > folders.
> > These are dbx folders and I need help importing these into my current
> > e-mail
> > program which is Outlook.  My new computer has Windows 7.  Can someone
> > walk
> > me through the procedure. I, as you have guessed, am not very
> > computer-smart.
> > Thank you.
>
> This will only work if included in that folder is a file called Folders.dbx.
>
> Download and install Windows Live Mail.
> Import the OE messages into WLM.
> Then export from WLM to Outlook.
> If the Folders.dbx file is missing then you will need a third-party tool to
> extract the emails as .eml files which you can then drag and drop into WLM
> and then export.
>
> HTH
>
> .

You need to import the files into LM then export to Outlook.
See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/convert_oe.htm for a step-by-step.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

How many email accounts are in your main Outlook profile?

> The Folders.dbx file is indeed included in the list.  Windows Live Mail is
> on my computer and I "signed up" successfully.  Now...I have no idea how
> import and export as you suggested.  Sorry to be so slow on the uptake.
> Can
> you direct me the steps necessary.  Many thanks.
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>

>> "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When the motherboard on  my computer burned the repair people were able
>> > save all files. They created a backup disc and I successfully installed
>> > everything on my new computer with one exception.  They were able to
>> > save
>> > my
>> > "saved" e-mails from my former Outlook Express program.  So I have a
>> > file
>> > from their disc titled "email Folders for import" which contains 13
>> > folders.
>> > These are dbx folders and I need help importing these into my current
>> > e-mail
>> > program which is Outlook.  My new computer has Windows 7.  Can someone
>> > walk
>> > me through the procedure. I, as you have guessed, am not very
>> > computer-smart.
>> > Thank you.
>>
>> This will only work if included in that folder is a file called
>> Folders.dbx.
>>
>> Download and install Windows Live Mail.
>> Import the OE messages into WLM.
>> Then export from WLM to Outlook.
>> If the Folders.dbx file is missing then you will need a third-party tool
>> extract the emails as .eml files which you can then drag and drop into
>> WLM
>> and then export.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> .

0
Diane
2/21/2010 3:17:16 AM
Thank you so very much for the link to the easy step-by-step procedure to
follow.  It worked -all my old saved e-mails are in their proper place - I'm
happy!  Thank you

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> You need to import the files into LM then export to Outlook.
> See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/convert_oe.htm for a step-by-step.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> How many email accounts are in your main Outlook profile?
> http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=36602
>

> "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The Folders.dbx file is indeed included in the list.  Windows Live Mail is
> > on my computer and I "signed up" successfully.  Now...I have no idea how
> > import and export as you suggested.  Sorry to be so slow on the uptake.
> > Can
> > you direct me the steps necessary.  Many thanks.
> >
> > "Gordon" wrote:
> >

> >> "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> This will only work if included in that folder is a file called
> >> Folders.dbx.
> >>
> >> Download and install Windows Live Mail.
> >> Import the OE messages into WLM.
> >> Then export from WLM to Outlook.
> >> If the Folders.dbx file is missing then you will need a third-party tool
> >> extract the emails as .eml files which you can then drag and drop into
> >> WLM
> >> and then export.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> .

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

MS Money 95 data files

Recieve Mail Before Sending

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

Where is the workspace file stored?

cant start outlook pst file to large

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

Outlook 2003

Importing leads and workflow
We are just implementing CRM and have a couple of lead lists that we want to import (about 5000 records). The sales force would like calls automatically scheduled when the list is imported and would only like 50 calls scheduled per week. I know that I can assign leads based on various criteria to the correct salesperson. However, is there any way that I can create the phone activities and only limit to 50 per week? Does workflow look at the salesperson work schedule at all or will each sales person have 1000 phone calls scheduled for 3 days from when I import? There isn't anything in ...

Trying to read XML file into dataset

Mail lMerge