how to convert msg files

Hi, Firstly I hope this is the right forum for my question.

The problem is I downloaded E-mails and my address book at work onto
CD but now when I try to open them on my new home PC I see they are al
msg files. I had taken some of the E-mails and put them into persona
files at work (pst files ?) as the Inbox was full and from ther
exported them to the CD; the E-mails in my Inbox and the address boo
(in V card format) I just exported direct to the CD.
Is there anyway to convert them back to their original format or a
least to something i can open? I don't have MS Outlook or Word if tha
means anything. Any suggestions

--
BorisBierbell
Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:07:52 +0530, BorisBierbelly wrote:

> Hi, Firstly I hope this is the right forum for my question.
>
> The problem is I downloaded E-mails and my address book at work onto a
> CD but now when I try to open them on my new home PC I see they are all
> msg files. I had taken some of the E-mails and put them into personal
> files at work (pst files ?) as the Inbox was full and from there
> exported them to the CD; the E-mails in my Inbox and the address book
> (in V card format) I just exported direct to the CD.
> Is there anyway to convert them back to their original format or at
> least to something i can open? I don't have MS Outlook or Word if that
> means anything. Any suggestions?

As you don't have Outlook at home, there is really only one option (other
than buying it of course - you may find your work has a spare licence you
could use if they deem it necessary for you to read work emails at home) -
and that is importing your Outlook mail into Outlook Express at work and
copying the OE files to a CD. You would then be able to import those files
into OE at home.

HTH

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
gordon1271 (133)
3/1/2006 9:27:41 AM
The thing is I've left the company now. They were personal E-mails an
addresses so I would like to keep them. Short of buying Outlook (I
that is a solution) is there any way to convert them

--

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:38:28 +0530, BorisBierbelly wrote:

> The thing is I've left the company now. They were personal E-mails and
> addresses so I would like to keep them. Short of buying Outlook (IF
> that is a solution) is there any way to convert them?

have a look here:
http://www.aid4mail.com/

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
gordon1271 (133)
3/1/2006 11:14:31 AM
BorisBierbelly <BorisBierbelly.23zgsr@NoSpamPleaze.com> wrote:

> Hi, Firstly I hope this is the right forum for my question.

Sure.

> The problem is I downloaded E-mails and my address book at work onto a
> CD but now when I try to open them on my new home PC I see they are
> all msg files.

You certainly didn't use the correct method to transfer your Outlook data.
The correct way is, if using an Exchange server for your mailbox, to create
a PST (FIle>New>Outlook Data File)and copy your folders to it.  Then take
that PST home with you.  If you're already using a PST, then take it home
with you.  Start the home Outlook and click FIle>Open>Outlook Data File to
open it.

Naturally, this presupposes you have Outlook at home because there's no way
to read Outlook data with any program but Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
3/1/2006 2:55:19 PM
You can use Microsoft Exchange to read .msg & .pst files.  Most Windows OSes
contain this program buried somewhere on the CD.  Sometimes called Windows
Messenging or Microsoft Mail.  You should be able to install it or may
already have it on yours system, look in your programs folders, it might be
there.

I would copy the files from your CD to your hard drive, remove the 'Read
Only' attribute, then drag them to Exchange.  From there you can import them
into Outlook Express.

A program call Mailbag Assistant is available here:
http://www.fookes.com/mailbag/ you can try that.

I have a version of Outlook 98 which was free on a $4.95 cd from PC Mag or
something like that, any version of Outlook would probably work, maybe a
cheap on ebay?

> BorisBierbelly <BorisBierbelly.23zgsr@NoSpamPleaze.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Firstly I hope this is the right forum for my question.
>
> Sure.
>
>> The problem is I downloaded E-mails and my address book at work onto a
>> CD but now when I try to open them on my new home PC I see they are
>> all msg files.
>
> You certainly didn't use the correct method to transfer your Outlook data.
> The correct way is, if using an Exchange server for your mailbox, to
> create a PST (FIle>New>Outlook Data File)and copy your folders to it.
> Then take that PST home with you.  If you're already using a PST, then
> take it home with you.  Start the home Outlook and click FIle>Open>Outlook
> Data File to open it.
>
> Naturally, this presupposes you have Outlook at home because there's no
> way to read Outlook data with any program but Outlook.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
msnews
3/1/2006 4:24:02 PM
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:24:02 -0800, msnews.microsoft.com wrote:

> You can use Microsoft Exchange to read .msg & .pst files.  Most Windows OSes
> contain this program buried somewhere on the CD.  Sometimes called Windows
> Messenging or Microsoft Mail.

Eh? what a load of rubbish! Windows messaging is an INSTANT MESSAGING
service and is NOTHING to do with email! Microsoft mail hasn't been
supported since Windows 95 AFAIK and Microsoft Exchange is a MAIL SERVER!

Jeeeez!

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
gordon1271 (133)
3/1/2006 4:35:02 PM
It is you who are mistaken, Gordon. You're confusing Windows Messenger, =
the IM application, with Windows Messaging, the email application =
included with Windows 98 (and SPs for Windows 95). The email client in =
Windows 95 was indeed Microsoft Exchange, the client, not the server.=20

In any case, neither client has been part of Windows for several =
versions, so the earlier advice wouldn't be likely to solve the original =
poster's problem.=20
--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Gordon" <gordon@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message =
> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:24:02 -0800, msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
>=20
>> You can use Microsoft Exchange to read .msg & .pst files.  Most =
Windows OSes=20
>> contain this program buried somewhere on the CD.  Sometimes called =
Windows=20
>> Messenging or Microsoft Mail. =20
>=20
> Eh? what a load of rubbish! Windows messaging is an INSTANT MESSAGING
> service and is NOTHING to do with email! Microsoft mail hasn't been
> supported since Windows 95 AFAIK and Microsoft Exchange is a MAIL =
SERVER!
>=20
> Jeeeez!
>=20
> --=20
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
suemvp (4038)
3/1/2006 7:34:35 PM
I said Windows MessengING, NOT Windows MessenGER, there's a big difference.
Exchange is the underpinnings of Outlook and if you'd check your facts you
will see you can open the exact same .pst and .pab files in Exchange as you
can in Outlook.  The Exchange client exists on several of the Microsoft CD's
I have for Office, it may be hard to find, but it's out there.

Perhaps this user can find a friend with Outlook willing to help him with
his dilemma.

"Gordon" <gordon@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:24:02 -0800, msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
>
>> You can use Microsoft Exchange to read .msg & .pst files.  Most Windows
>> OSes
>> contain this program buried somewhere on the CD.  Sometimes called
>> Windows
>> Messenging or Microsoft Mail.
>
> Eh? what a load of rubbish! Windows messaging is an INSTANT MESSAGING
> service and is NOTHING to do with email! Microsoft mail hasn't been
> supported since Windows 95 AFAIK and Microsoft Exchange is a MAIL SERVER!
>
> Jeeeez!
>
> --
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
msnews
3/2/2006 5:29:15 PM
I appreciate the explanation.  The original poster didn't specify which OS
they had.  Although the client is no longer included with Windows, it's on a
dozen CD's I have.  I.E. Trial Version of Exchange server. Outlook '98,
various versions of Office.  I've even dowloaded it from MS to get and MS
Mail Postoffice to work on Windows 2000.  I hope our original poster has
access to perhaps one source.

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
It is you who are mistaken, Gordon. You're confusing Windows Messenger, the
IM application, with Windows Messaging, the email application included with
Windows 98 (and SPs for Windows 95). The email client in Windows 95 was
indeed Microsoft Exchange, the client, not the server.

In any case, neither client has been part of Windows for several versions,
so the earlier advice wouldn't be likely to solve the original poster's
problem.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Gordon" <gordon@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:24:02 -0800, msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
>
>> You can use Microsoft Exchange to read .msg & .pst files.  Most Windows
>> OSes
>> contain this program buried somewhere on the CD.  Sometimes called
>> Windows
>> Messenging or Microsoft Mail.
>
> Eh? what a load of rubbish! Windows messaging is an INSTANT MESSAGING
> service and is NOTHING to do with email! Microsoft mail hasn't been
> supported since Windows 95 AFAIK and Microsoft Exchange is a MAIL SERVER!
>
> Jeeeez!
>
> --
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
msnews

Convert .txt and .xls to .qif ?
How can one convert .txt and .xls to .qif format? My old bank statements are in .txt and .xls format and MS Money only recognizes .qif format... In microsoft.public.money, Dilip Asarpota <Dilip Asarpota@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can one convert .txt and .xls to .qif format? > >My old bank statements are in .txt and .xls format and MS Money only >recognizes .qif format... Didier has a nice set of links of conversion tools at http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/links_en.php http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php describes XL2QIF, Didier's Excel to QIF addin, ...

printing publisher file
I am having trouble printing a file conversion from publisher to adobe. The page printed will only print the top 30% or so. The print range selection of either "all" or "current view" doesent seem to change the outcome. thanks for the assistance. Assuming you mean that you are converting a Publisher file to a .pdf file, which program are yoiu using to do the converting? -- -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "carman3758" <carman3758@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Importing Outlook 2003 file into 2002
Trying to import my Outlook 2003 pst file into my laptop which runs Outlook 2002 and it does not recognize the file. Appears that Outlook 2003 is not backwards compatible with Outlook 2002. Any suggestions besides installing Outlook 2002 on the laptop (would prefer not to do this for various reasons)? In Outlook 2003, use the File->export->Data Management File. Select the Outlook 97-2002 version and export your items to that format. Then, copy that file to your Outlook 2002 system (wherever you want) and then use Outlook->File->open to access the items. --� Milly Staples...

Can't open XLS file
When I double-click on the XLS file, empty XLS will open and following message is displayed: “Windows cannot find ‘document name’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again…” The only way to open my files is to 'drag and drop' them into an already open XLS. Thanks for any advice I bet you could open excel and do File|open to open those workbooks, too. Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regse...

Converting text to numbers, but not blank cells
Hi, I've got a large survey data-set in Excel 2003. Some values are pure text, some are numbers but were recorded as text. There are also many blanks in each collumn. So, I am trying to convert the numbers from text format to a number format. I know the basic tricks (=VALUE(), or Type 1, Copy, Paste Special--> Multiply + Value). The only problem is that all of them convert a blank into a 0. I really need to keep the blanks as blanks. Does anyone have a trick or a macro that would make sure that blanks remain as blanks when converting text to number? Thank you! If you copy an empty cel...

re-combining multi-part files (.dat)
outlook split a large PDF file into 4 parts on send. how do i re-combine them? thanks & happy new year Outlook doesn't do this on its own - are you using Outlook or Outlook Express? Fran wrote: > outlook split a large PDF file into 4 parts on send. how > do i re-combine them? > > thanks & happy new year ...

Pocket PC two files???
I have a file which contains my personal accounts and such. I also have a file that contains the accounts for my grandparents. Is there a way to sync both files onto my Pocket PC using Money 2004 ? It would be nice to switch between each account. Jay Jay, From the Money for Pocket PC Readme: "To change the deskop Money file that you are synchronizing with, you must select the new file from the Money synchronization Settings screen found in ActiveSync Options on your desktop PC. Simply opening a new Money file on your desktop PC will not alter which file your Pocket PC synchronize...

Can you FTP a file/data directly into Excel
Has anyone ever FTP a file/data directly into an Excel worksheet from FTP sever? At present I manually FTP these files when they are created and dro them onto my hard drive then i export it into Excel for processing This is becoming very time consuming as the number of files are growin in number. Regards, TD -- TDR did you try data(menu bar)-get external data-new webquery -- remove $$$ from email addresss to send email TDR <TDR.1tifat@news.excelbanter.com> wrote in message news:TDR.1tifat@news.excelbanter.com... > > Has anyone ever FTP a file/data directly into an Excel w...

Saving A publisher file to CD-R or CD-RW
Hi, My mentor used MS Publisher to write a book and saved it on his computer's hard drive. He was trying to save it to CD-R and CD-RW but for some reason the E: (CD) drive kept saying that the file was 'read- only'. But the read-only attribute was not selected in the file's properties. Also when he tried the 'Save as' feature, the File type automatically selected was 'Publisher Files'. And again, if the file wouldn't save on a CD-R or CD-RW because it kept saying 'read-only', then would using a Flash Drive/USB PenDrive help to save the publisher do...

Word 2007 won't open files on double-click in Win 7 in VMWare
I am running Word 2007 in a Win 7 64-bit virtual machine. It is running quite nicely with one exception: if Word is not running and I double-click any Word document (or try opening any text document using Open with...), then Word starts up and gives an error: "Unable to send command to program." If Word is running, double-clicking any of the above opens fine. I have tried the following: - uninstalling Office and re-installing it -> no result - formatting the computer and re-installing everything -> the error returned after one or two uses of Word and Outlook S...

Help, Quicken convert -trouble with Online Transactions or Setup
System = Money 2003, Window 98SE, Logging in with Passport.net The Story: When I installed, Setup, Migrated my Quicken file (which all went well) The installation asked me to choose my financial institutions (which I did) it saw all my bank accounts and enabled them for online access. The Problem is: Each accout has a different user name and password (and it has to be that way because of the way my bank does it). So when I set it up, I used the User/Password for the Account I use most frequently. Now when I "connect to bank" using that accout the call summary says "success...

Open and Convert Mac .numbers to excel file format tools
Are there any tools that allow PC user of Excel to open a Mac .numbers extension file? kspalladino@yahoo.com ...

Pivot table converts data to a 1,2,3 how do I get data to correct
I created a pivot table from a range of customers (deposits). Tha data range counted the number of entries per customer and not the dollar amount. How do I format the data range to reflect the dollar amount not the number of entries? Right-click on the 'Count of Deposits' button in the pivot table Choose Field Settings From the 'Summarize by' list, select Sum Click OK mjohnston1327 wrote: > I created a pivot table from a range of customers (deposits). Tha data range > counted the number of entries per customer and not the dollar amount. How do > I format t...

how do i covert publisher 2000 file to publisher 2003 file
I have publisher 2000 files made with mathtype and canvas. Publisher 2003 will not convert,i.e. open many of the files. What is the solution? Are you certain the Publisher 2000 files are Publisher files and not Home Publishing? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CEO Stellaris Consulting" <CEO Stellaris Consulting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEE1E4D3-883F-4C58-9D81-68CDF9F79F44@microsoft.com... >I have publisher 2000 files made with mathtype and canvas. Publisher 2003 > will n...

HELP!!!! priv1.edb file corrupt
my exchange 2003 server will not allow me to mount the store, i get "internal error, restart imformation store service and retry" I put exchange onto a different server and populated the new machine with the users mailboxes, i attempted to copy the priv1.edb file into the new server, but users don't have access to the messages within that database, users can send and receive messages but all folders, messages, contacts etc from the old server are not accessable and the mailbox store shows 2 accounts for each user, one account with the new mailbox info and one with the o...

file handling
I need to access a user-defined data file (say, txt type) in my application, known data type and unknown length. With serialize(), I can only write fixed number of ar>> and ar<<. Could anybody tell me how handle it? Thanks in advance! Rich If it is line based text take a look at CStdioFile, ReadString and WriteString. Tom "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3437FB7-EBB4-490D-9732-8E2571585EB9@microsoft.com... > I need to access a user-defined data file (say, txt type) in my application, > known data type and unknown length. Wi...

sending image file attachment
what are some ways to send image files to reduce the load. I know how to compress the folder. But are there other / additional ways to modify the files to reduce the load? gator wrote: > what are some ways to send image files to reduce the load. I know how to > compress the folder. But are there other / additional ways to modify the > files to reduce the load? E-mail is NOT a reliable file transfer mechanism. It wasn't intended or designed for that. It was designed to send lots of small messages. There is no CRC check on the file to ensure integrity. Ther...

Keep report page setup when converted to PDF
I'm using ReportToPDF to convert my reports to PDF files for emailing and I was wondering if there's a way to preserve the local report page settings when it's converted to a PDF. For example, most of my reports are formatted for Legal paper with Landscape orientation. When I convert them to PDF, the PDF file page setup is Letter/Portrait and so in order to fit all contents on one page when printing, I have to manually set the page to Legal/Landscape. Is there some way to preserve the Access report settings in the converted PDF or am I S.O.L.? I'd appreciate any help...

Can't defrag .pst file O2003
Defrag won't defrag one of my .pst files. I've run scanpst twice (errors first time, none second). I've compacted the .pst file. File size just under 5 GB. Free disk space 20.5 GB (55%). Does anyone know something else I can try? Is Outlook closed when you do this? A bootdefrag will work. Diskkeeper is capable of doing this. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003 Subscribe ...

.eml files in outlook express
My Outlook Express is removing what it calls unsafe attachments. The attachments are .eml files. I am sure they are safe as they come from close associates. How can I change it to allow these attachments to be opened? I use XP Pro and the newest versions of OEE and IE Tools-> Options-> tab Security-> option Do not allow attachments... Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplore...

Recording music to file
Hi, How do I record music or speech (I assume through the microphone input) to a file? Thank you for your help. "Erik" <reply-to-group@email.net> wrote in message news:%23g0v27YmKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > > Hi, > How do I record music or speech (I assume through the microphone input) to > a file? > > Thank you for your help. > Plug a mic into Mic In, download Audacity Free, set your sound card to Mic In. Press the Record on Audacity and Record. The Save Project As. Or us windows sound recorder. See this info: htt...

PDF Files created from Word 2007
If I save a file in PDF format and send it to someone as a n attachment, will they be able to modify it if they have adobe software. If so how do I make it so they can't change the original document thanks BV On Mar 5, 6:48=A0pm, Techtrainer <Techtrai...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If I save a file in PDF format and send it to someone as a n attachment, = will > they be able to modify it if they have adobe software. If so how do I mak= e it > so they can't change the original document > thanks > BV One way to prevent editing is to print o...

Win2K3 SBS - Drive C nearly full
Windows 2003 SBS all MS updates Drive C: 40GB with 5GB remaining RAIDED 250GB hard drive with Drive D: remaining Gigs In the Windows C:\ClientApps\ directory there are a lot of *.cab files (some ie4 some ie6 etc. like in C:\ClientApps\ie6). I have IEv8 on the server and it's been running for about 1 year or so. Can I delete these unneeded *.cab files without any negative implications on my Windows 2003 SBS system? TIA Do you have an Exchange Server on the C drive. If so, are your logs on it also, or on another drive. The reason I ask is that an Exchange Server, over t...

Opening file causes bogus err msg that file is already open
I'm running XP Home on a new eMachines box & running Office 97. Whenever I open an excel file (for instance foo.xls on my desktop), an window opens up that says "A document with the name "foo.xls" is already open...... After I click OK, everything seems to work fine. Same kind of thing happens with Word & Wordpad files although the error message in those cases is slightly different (i.e. "C:\...\foo.doc is being used by XYZ. Do you want to make a copy?) This drives me nuts. Any deas whats going on? Thanks Hi Jack This are the usual things to fix th...

Money 1999 to 2004 file transfer
I want to transfer my Money file from a Money 1999 program running on a Windows 98SE machine to another machine in a home network that came with Money 2004 (from Dell). I have gone through opening the Money files, both on floppy and via the network. My Computer shows large files under Money 2004, but nothing comes up when I open the files within Money 2004. Am I missing a step or something? Tough to say because despite all you wrote it's tough to tell what you are doing and what is actually happening. Use you network to copy your .MNY data file from the Win98SE/M99 machine to...