How do you copy open PST files?

Does anyone know how you can copy an open PST file?
0
anonymous (74722)

You can't.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

| Does anyone know how you can copy an open PST file?

0
MillyS4407 (663)
4/30/2004 1:47:47 AM
Milly - thanks for your response. OK, another question -
is it possible to shut Outlook down via a command prompt?
I.e. I'd like to setup a batch file to backup my PST
files, but if I can't copy and open PST file, is it
possible to shut down Outlook via a command prompt rather
than manually shutting the program down?

intact.

>| Does anyone know how you can copy an open PST file?
>

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
4/30/2004 1:59:41 AM
Why don't you just use the PST backup add-in and have it backup on whatever
schedule you want?

> Milly - thanks for your response. OK, another question -
> is it possible to shut Outlook down via a command prompt?
> I.e. I'd like to setup a batch file to backup my PST
> files, but if I can't copy and open PST file, is it
> possible to shut down Outlook via a command prompt rather
> than manually shutting the program down?

0
kfb1 (138)
4/30/2004 4:19:12 AM
Hello Karl,

> Why don't you just use the PST backup add-in and have it backup on
whatever
> schedule you want?

This add-in is very buggy and you have more problems with this add-in than
without.

--

Thomas Wetzel
Synchronize or backup your Outlook quick and easy.

0
wetzel1 (79)
4/30/2004 11:08:38 AM
I have used it for years on several version of Outlook and on several
computers with no problems.  I just recommended it as an alternative to
allow him to backup at set intervals.

"Thomas Wetzel" <wetzel@wisco.de> wrote in message
> Hello Karl,
>
> > Why don't you just use the PST backup add-in and have it backup on
> whatever
> > schedule you want?
>
> This add-in is very buggy and you have more problems with this add-in than
> without.
>

> --
>
> Thomas Wetzel
> Synchronize or backup your Outlook quick and easy.
> www.synchpst.com

0
kfb1 (138)
5/1/2004 2:56:39 AM
You can't backup an open pst file, but the pst backup add-in will schedule
to back it up when you close Outlook.  To set it up, install the add-in,
then open Outlook and go to File, Backup.  There you can set a schedule to
run for whatever period of time you want.  I typically run it weekly.

"DWC" <DWC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having the same issue of trying to backup open PST files I came
across the tool, but I woud need to do the schedueling of the backups not
the user. Is there a place to set-up time date of backup?

> "Karl Burrows" wrote:
>
> > I have used it for years on several version of Outlook and on several
> > computers with no problems.  I just recommended it as an alternative to
> > allow him to backup at set intervals.
> >
> > "Thomas Wetzel" <wetzel@wisco.de> wrote in message
> > > Hello Karl,

> > > whatever
> > >
> > > This add-in is very buggy and you have more problems with this add-in
than
> > > without.
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Thomas Wetzel
> > > Synchronize or backup your Outlook quick and easy.
> > > www.synchpst.com

0
kfb1 (138)
6/16/2004 5:11:40 AM
A bit late but...
....you can close outlook from the command line with the following VB
script:

  On Error Resume Next
  GetObject(,"Outlook.Application").Quit

Place the above two lines in a file with the extension .vbs (make sure
your security settings allow a Windows script to be run). Within a
batch file use the 'Call' statement to call the vbs file
asynchronously.

I use this in a batch file on my desktop which does the following:
1) Closes outlook
2) Empties the recycling bin
3) Uses 'RoboCopy' to synchronise my local folders with those on a
server.
4) Shuts the computer down.

I'm still looking for an easy way to close ActiveSync (for my iPaq)
which also keeps a connection to Outlook.
0
alock (1)

Copied Worksheet does not maintain it 's properties
Hello , My VB app , access a particular Excel file (ie Template.xls) and runs a Macro . This Macros out is a report which is printed on a Worksheet in the same Template.xls . Then I select the Output worksheet of the template xls and copy the contents into a new Excel file . The reason why I am doing this is because I dont want the new file to contain the Macro . The problem is , the formatting of the Output sheet (Column lengths , Fonts etc) is NOT effected on the new workesheet of the file when copied . So I basically have an unformatted Output in the new file . How may I overcom...

Looking at a message without opening it
Hi there, This is an Outlook question, despite me mentioning Outlook Express below.. In Outlook Express, I can look at a message in raw format (including ALL email headers, mime parts, etc) by right-clicking on the message in the inbox, select "Properties", select "Details" tab, select "Message Source" button. This will open a text window displaying the whole email in raw format. Can I do that with Outlook as well? Right-click, "Options" does not give me the same possibilities like in Outlook Express. But perhaps there is a plugin or makro I cou...

Writing the DBF file
Hello, All! I have a trouble with writing a database to a file. Here's my code: // Write the file structure SDBFHeader dbfHdr; dbfHdr.nVersion = 0x03; strcpy(dbfHdr.cLastUpdate, _T("3A6")); dbfHdr.nNumOfRecs = m_ctrlList.GetItemCount(); dbfHdr.nNumOfBytesInHdr = 32 + (3 * 32) + 1; dbfHdr.nNumOfBytesInRec = m_nFieldsLength[0] + m_nFieldsLength[1] + m_nFieldsLength[2] + 1; dbfHdr.nReserved1 = 0x00; dbfHdr.nIncmpltTrans = 0x00; dbfHdr.nEncrypt = 0x00; strcpy(dbfHdr.cMultiUser, _T("")); dbfHdr.nIndex = 0x00; dbfHdr.nLangID = 0x00; dbfHdr.nReserve...

Excel missing file
I am a registered user of Office XP Pro. Excel will not start. It is missing a file. In the process of moving, disks in storage. Where can I go online to download the missing file? And, how? ...

Number of Copies
Hi I have a strange problem: - I have a Access 2003 db in 2000 format - I have a report in that database - I am printing the report to different printers or pdf - Suddenly the default for Number of Copies is "4" and not "1" in the Print window If I am importing the report to a new db, the defualt setting of 4 number of copies is still there. There is no code in the report and the problem is there even if I are in design view or not. - Tthe 4 must be in the report, no other reports have the default 4. - It is default 4 in every printer Thx! Staffan ...

Copy a folder and objects
From a workbook I wanted a button that would copy a folder to another drive. After dinging around I came up with this: Set CpyFolder = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") CpyFolder.CopyFolder "c:\TestIt", "d:\TestIt", overwrite End Sub This works but I have no idea why. The CopyFolder only works if you use a Set = something then use the Something.copyfolder. This seems just idiotic and useless. Why not just "Copy c:\folder, d:\folder" and make it easy? What is the purpose of adding the complication of objects? Also... the copy process was...

sqlcmd and Error(s) to a file
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162773.aspx sqlcmd File Names sqlcmd input files can be specified with the -i option or the :r command. Output files can be specified with the -o option or the :Error, :Out and :Perftrace commands. =========above lines are from the URL listed above============= Ok. If I set this command, I get the desired behavior: :Error "./myerrors.txt" (The desired behavior being, if no errors occur, then that file is created, however, it is empty, which is a great indicator for "nothing bad happened") ================= ...

Open form based on selection
I have a form [frm_modelselect] where I will select a chair model. Then I want to hit a command, or just have a macro that runs onChange. Either way, I want to open a specific form based on the Model that I selected in [frm_modelselect]. How do I go about doing this? Thanks in advance. Travis On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:24:04 -0700, Tdahlman wrote: > I have a form [frm_modelselect] where I will select a chair model. Then I > want to hit a command, or just have a macro that runs onChange. > Either way, I want to open a specific form based on the Model that I > selected in [frm_...

Close open space for color fill tool
What is a way to close an open space to use the fill tool? Mark. A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Mark Brown <mbrown@pnint.com>!"... > What is a way to close an open space to use the fill tool? What version of Publisher are you using? How have you created this "open space"? Is it a line/curve? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm Publisher 2003 XP Pro SP1a I am using the curve tool on a 4 X 6 Postcard....

Workflow question: Upon opening a new case notify team
I am trying to configure CRM so that it will notify a team (all team members) when a case is opened. How would I accomplish this? I have created a team, called tech support, added members, and was setting up a workflow rule when I noticed that you can set up notifications only to users, not teams. This just doesn't seem right. Oh yeah, I also created a new email template. Same thing, 1 owner.... What am I missing? David M Afraid there is no easy way to do this. You could use a Post-URL action to send the message and it could expand out the team members. Also note that you can&#...

Unable to send e-mail and get error message when opening live mail
This is the message I get Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'pic' Server: 'post.camtel.net' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No I call server and all is well. Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving, and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting change...

Excel 2002: Can I save all files by just one click ?
Hi, I have 10 working files in an active window. There is no Save All button under the file menu. May I know if I can save all the files at one click without having to exit excel ? Thanks Low This delivers it in 2 clicks ... Hold down Shift key, click File > Close All Then click "Yes to All" in the ensuing prompt to save changes Success? Celebrate it, hit the YES below -- Max Singapore --- "Mr. Low" wrote: > I have 10 working files in an active window. > There is no Save All button under the file menu. > May I know if I c...

transfering the .pst for outlook '03
* takes place in Outlook 2003 I transferred my office.pst file form another computer and put it on my new computer (both computers had office professional 2003), but it didn't save any of my "emails; sent, received, and my specific file that I created to organize my incoming emails (which was created in my "personal folders column")" The only thing it appeared to save was my calendar information. The size of the office.pst file that I was attempting to transfer was 118 MB. I think somewhere in that file must be my emails. How do I get them to appear on my new c...

Unable to open html attachment in outlook 2000 (Please help)
Currently using outlook 2000. Got an attachment html link. Click open, a new windows --> system32 opened. Click onto the attachment again, Click save as, into my computer, double click the link, then it able to open in IE. Q: Why can't I open it directly, instead I have to save the attachment before open the html file. Please help. Thanks & Regards James something is messed up if it's opening a windows explorer window. I think you'll need to reregister IE. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for ...

Copy Sheets
Why can't I copy a sheet in excel to another workbook? When I right click on the sheet tab in is not doing anything no more as well. Hi griify Maybe you protect the workbook Tools>Protection -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "griify" <griify@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AAC20DC8-6132-45D3-874B-57073E9EDB12@microsoft.com... > Why can't I copy a sheet in excel to another workbook? When I right click on > the sheet tab in is not doing anything no more as well. griigy, It works better for me to select the range I want ...

Copy filtered data (Values only)
The following code copies filtered data: Set Rng = ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Range Rng.Copy Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("A1") but copies values and formulae. (e.g. .PasteSpecial xlPasteValues) How do I modify to the copy only the values Thanks! Set Rng = ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Range Rng.Copy Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E54D33F-2...

Problem Opening Outlook XP
I was having a few small problems with outlook xp so I uninstalled the whole office suite. After uninstalling I cleaned everything refering to "office", "outlook" in the registry (windows xp professional w/sp2) with jv16 PowerTools 2006. Then I reinstalled Office XP. Everything works except, when opening outlook I get the message "Failed to register a VB Script DLL. Reinstall or run Regsvr32.exe Vbscript.dll to self register.". Then outlook closes. I have registered vbscript.dll successfully and still the error. I have un/reinstalled several times now and still t...

Modern.ttf font file requested
Hi, I have bought a Dell computer almost 2 years ago and it already had the modern.ttf font file installed (no, I am not talking about the modern.fon file). I have first reinstalled Windows XP without any problems. When I have installed Windows XP for the second time and thereafter, the modern.ttf file was not installed or it was missing from the Windows XP installation disk. I have looked all over the internet for a possible download link, but have not had any luck. Is there a way that someone would send me the modern.ttf file or tell me of a place to download the file or exactly what sof...

Error with the Deployment Manager- access to the file \CRM\_xslfiles\1_Create.xsl refused
Dear all, Dear all, Configuration: CRM 1.2 on a SBS2003 with the rollup 1.2 I 'm unable to deploy my customization . Indeed, as usual i created some new customization fields through the deployment manager and i added them to the account form. No problem with this. But when i launched the Deployment Manager for publishing it failed after a while and it seems there is a problem to access to the following ..xsl file: ...\CRM\_xslfiles\1_Create.xsl. Before i didn't have this problem. Strange? In the event log i have the message: "Erreur ProcessImportWorkItem : Access to the file &...

copy and use vba code
Hi, I am relatively new to using vba. I have successfully recorded and used macros, and also have created simple procedures in vba to use as a macro. What I am trying to do now is copy and use vba code in excel and am having trouble. The situation is this: I found vba code in these forums that I would like to use. What I did was copy the code into a module in the VBAProject (Personal.XLS), where all my aforementioned macros are located. However, when I attempt to find the macro via the Tools>Macro>Macros menu item, it is not listed (all the other macros are). I then tried a new ...

Copy ranges into email
Hi, How do i add more than one item to the body of a outlook mail using vba. I am using named range to select the items. i want to add Text, the leave two lines HTMLBody then leave two lines and add another HTMLBody and leace two lines and add Text I have a function that does the RangetoHTML after passing myRange to it. I am getting confused here. With OutMail .To = s .CC = "SH-DI-List" .BCC = "" .Subject = n & " - Trades in Pending Queue in SW " & Format(Now, "dd-Mmm-yyyy") & _ "...

Outlook 2007/Vista 64/ "Cannot open the Outlook Window"
Unable to start Outlook; rcv dialog "Cannot Start Microsoft Office Outlook; Cannot open the Outlook Window". Error occurred AFTER a Norton 2009 "idle time scan" hang DURING an Outlook send/receive that was apparrently hung due to Norton. I have attempted several published fixes including Scanpst, DeleteOutlookProfiles, running Outlook with /safe switch (same error), uninstall/reinstall Outlook, turning Norton 2009 off during my process, etc. On reinstall (after running DeleteOutlookProfiles), I create a new profile and a new Outlook PST ... still receive the "...

outlook is blanking out previously opened emails
When I open outlook with my msn account previously viewed and/or replied to emails and previously sent emails are all blank. Can anyone help. The messages aare still readble in hotmail but are blank in outlook. "vjvtm4" <vjvtm4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65909A21-3C60-42E9-9321-8789EBCB8CEE@microsoft.com... > When I open outlook with my msn account previously viewed and/or replied to > emails and previously sent emails are all blank. Can anyone help. The > messages aare still readble in hotmail but are blank in outlook. If this...

Problems opening Outlook 2003 #2
I click on the office outlook 2003, it says "configuring outlook accounts", then I get the message, "your microsoft exchange server is unavailable" ( retry, work offline, cancel). I try the work offline tab then a box comes up saying, " unable to open your default email folders, your profile is not configured. I try to configure my profile and something i am doing is not right. Please help. What do I do? Thank you for your help with this problem. Keith Are you trying to connect to an Exchange server? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to ...

merging files #2
Hi My wife has a number of separate publisher files that she needs to combine into a single file. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do this.. I have looked at the "insert" menu and it looks like you can insert a blank page but not an existing file… How do I combine multiple publisher files into one document? Thanks Michael mlsred <mlsred@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I combine multiple publisher files into one document? Copy and Paste. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:20:03 +0000,...