how do I transfer old XP address book to new vista computer

how do I transfer old XP address book to new vista computer
0
Bob4289 (354)

We have no idea what you are asking. This is an Outlook group. Outlook does
not even use an address book, and there is no "XP" version of Outlook.
Clarify what it is you need to do and why you think it is an Outlook
question. So far, you seem to be asking about operating systems, not
Outlook.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do I transfer old XP address book to new vista computer

0
russval1 (2100)
11/25/2007 9:29:36 PM
On Nov 25, 2:29 pm, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russ...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> We have no idea what you are asking. This is an Outlook group. Outlook does
> not even use an address book, and there is no "XP" version of Outlook.
> Clarify what it is you need to do and why you think it is an Outlook
> question. So far, you seem to be asking about operating systems, not
> Outlook.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]"bob" <b...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > how do I transfer old XP address book to new vista computer- Hide quoted text -

If you go to file and then export you can choose to export your
contacts and then use the import feature to import them into the new
computer.
<josiah.inman@gmail.com> wrote in message

> If you go to file and then export you can choose to export your
> contacts and then use the import feature to import them into the new
> computer.

And if you'd read all the many many posts about this in all the Outlook
groups, the import/export function is NOT recommended as the way to transfer
native Outlook data!

0
gbplinux (1141)
11/26/2007 8:59:58 AM
josiah.inman@gmail.com <josiah.inman@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you go to file and then export you can choose to export your
> contacts and then use the import feature to import them into the new
> computer.

Bzzt.  Wrong, by thanks for playing.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
0

Macro for transferring data from excel to word
Hi, I have an excel file and a word file. I want a macro in excel which would open the existing word file in system, then go to the specified location in the word file, delete the existing picture from word file, copy a range/picture from excel file and then paste that onto the word file as picture enhanced format or bitmap format. Which code should i use for the same? Regards, Ajay Varshney Hi, It's generally advisable to "pull" data rather than to "push" it. So this means you should code this in Word VBA. I suggest you post the question in the Word Newsgrou...

removing autocomplete email addresses
OL 2002 SP3, Win XP SP1 Hi, In OL 2002, when one starts to type an email address, in the "To:" field, it often fills with a name or email address. However, at times it fills it with a name for which I have no email address and thus is useless. How do I remove that name (or any one name or email address)?--I mean can I remove that name from the list or must I delete the whole file that this feature uses? If so, what is the file name and where does OL keep it? Tx! Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested n...

Offline Address Book failure after new exchange server added
I've brought up a new Exchange 2003 server on new hardware on a network with an existing Exchange 2003 server, i've moved all the mailboxes, public folder replication just wouldnt work so I backed up the non system folders to pst and did all the other bits etc and everyone is working fine on the new server whether the old one is online or not but i'm getting errors syncing the offline address book and it will not rebuild, some users get permissions errors and others just say "error syncing" and the exchange event log reports that its the OAB. I've still got access to...

Working with SQL Server CE under vista (UAC)
I have a .net 3.5 project written with visual studio 2008. I also have a setup project for this application. The project includes a SQL Server CE database, and needs to read from and write to this database. The database file (sdf) is included in the application project as type "content". The setup project sends "content files" to the users application folder. This works under XP, but not under vista. When the program is run, an error occurs, saying that permission is denied on the database file. What is the solution to this for vista? Do I need to change...

New Message Window
WLM version 14.0.8089.0726. ( Win 7 Starter ) Just installed it on my netbook and it's running nicely , except that each new message window is maximized. If I restore down , it resizes correctly , but I can't set it to the preferred size and have it re open that way ? I thought perhaps , it might be auto maximizing because of the new feature in Win 7 ( sorry , forgot the name ) where dragging a window to the top will maximize it. I resized the main WLM window to less than desktop size , created a new message , and once again , got a maximized window. I should ad...

Transfering settings
I am about to upgrad my Excel 2000 to 2003 but I would like to tranfer my personal settings that I have changed in 2000 over the years. Is there any way to tranfer them or at least get a hard copy of them that are in the Tools, Options, Tabs? Thanks, Craig Craig Before reading further....... Transferring your *.xlb file from 2000 to 2003 will reduce the functionality of new version menu items, although most of them can be dragged onto the old menu. Read on......... NOTE: some settings are workbook-specific and would be stored with the workbook. For other global stored settings.........

Error on installing great plains on xp machine
I installed Great Plains 9 client on XP machine. The install went fine. However, when I logged into Great Plains, after generating about 5000 messages, the system stopped with an error (which I did not capture). Now, when I log into Great Plains from that machine, I get an error - a get/change first operation on table 'SY_ResourceActivity' (45) I click more and I get the below text. Note that I have unchecked Use ANSI Quoted and Use ANSI nulls flags. I have installed Great Plains on the server and that seems to work fine. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Unclosed ...

How to get the heap address?
Hello all: Look: unsigned long get_esp() { unsigned long val_esp; __asm { mov eax,esp mov val_esp,eax } return val_esp; } Could these codes get the stack address?I want to know how to get the heap address?Thanks very much. Well, sort of. They will return to you A stack address, but I have no idea what THE stack address is because it is dynamic. Note that this only works on a 32-bit machine for two reasons: you only allowed 32 bits for the address, and in Win64 the values are 64 bits; and Win64 does not support __asm inserts. UINT_PTR get_esp() { DWORD top; retur...

New Domain setup for exchange.
Hi all I use exchange 2003 on a simple AD domain. we have just brought another domain (company2.com). I assume all I have to do it tell the hosting company to forward the mx records to us (same place where the existing mx records are going) and then supply the individual users with the smtp address and that should work. Please let me know if there is anything else that I must do to start receive external emails for this new domain. Thanks in advance. f. fm wrote: > Hi all > > I use exchange 2003 on a simple AD domain. we have just brought another > domain (company2.com)....

Help: New dialog box when opening Word
Starting in the last week or so I get the following message when opening Word or Outlook (which I have set to use Word as my mail composer): ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The document contains macros. Macro language support is currently disabled. Features requiring VBA are not available. Would you like to open this document read-only? OK Cancel Help ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am not opening a fil...

New essay: A PowerPoint indexer
I got tired of all the complaints that my massive PowerPoint presentation has no index, so I wrote a program that reads a PowerPoint presentation and indexes every single word in the text. THen it allows you to create filters that will drop useless words, canonicalize case, etc. The output is a .htm file that is an index to the slides. I will be including these indices on the CD-ROMs of my courses. It also has a lot of cool control techniques, runs threads in the background to do the lengthy computations, has sophisiticated representations of how sorting is done (case sensitive but with ...

Office 2003/XP/2000 to be converted to 97
I created add-ins (Excel & PowerPoint) for Office 97/2000/XP/2003. Each client may have different machines with different Office versions. If a user has Office 2003 and wants to give the Excel Workbook or Power Point Presentation to a user with office 2000, do I have to use the following command ? activeworkbook.saveas "C:\aa.xls", xls9795 (I don't remember exactly the parameter) I noticed that by saving it like this, especially the presentations, their size becomes 3/4 times more (from 4MB it becomes 12MB). What are your suggestions ? "Save As" changes the file...

Sending email outlook 2007 with vista
I have two laptops and I want to trade the email user names and passwords (one for the other). The account settings on both laptops are exactly the same other than the email address and password. When I attempted to do this, I could not send email from a wireless connection but can receive email. When I plug into the local connection at work I can both send and receive mail. I can also send and receive from my Alltel wireless card. I only have email problems when I am connected to a wireless connection at home or in hotels. They both work fine before I tried to switch them....

Dual boot XP & Win 7?
I have a 250GB Sata HDD divided into C: 35GB with XP/SP3 installed and the remainder as D: for storage. I also have 2 IDE drives for storage. Would like to install Win 7 on D: allocating about 35GB for it. I have Acronis Disk Director to create partitions etc., when I run it it asks the type of partition to create, Active, Primary or Logical. Which should I select considering that I would like the choice of which OS to load at boot up? I have run the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor and only minor problems with graphics and sound which updated drivers should resolve. Replies appreciated. ...

Rule to transfer meeting invites to folders
I would like to have meeting invites that I receive on behalf of several people sent to their individual folder on my outlook. I've tried setting up a rule with all meeting invites going to a folder, using words in the header "Please respond on behalf of xxx" , or sent to my name with "xxx's name" in header. To no avail. Does anyone know how the header reads at the time the rule would be looking at it? Or any other suggestions ? Thanks !! ...

Multiple SMTP Reply Addresses
I need to host a 2nd domain on my Exchange server. If I understand this properly, only one domain can be the default for a user and all "reply to" information will reflect this domain. My users need to use both domains though. When sending a reply, it should reflect the domain that the mail was sent to. So a given user might have: joe@abc.com and joe@xyz.com I've read that the only way to do this is to set up separate boxes. Does this mean I'll have to setup another domain in AD and if so, how? My current setup is that I have one AD domain that serves one e-mai...

Address added under More Addresses not displayed after save
We have a strange problem where our users are adding an additional address under More Addresses on Contacts and sometimes their address doesn't show under More Addresses after it's been saved. They end up entering it again, and the second time it saves. If you do an advanced find in More Addresses for the Parent Contact, all three addreses show up (the address on the Contact form, the address they added but couldn't see, and the second attempt that they can see). It doesn't happen on all records, and from doing some testing it appears that it only happens on record...

*Selective* restore using Files and Settings Transfer?
Before reinstalling XP from scratch on my seriously messed up system, I ran the Files and Settings Transfer wizard, but I haven't yet tried restring anything. The files I backed up separately anyway. I have reinstalled the programs I want to use now -- with the exception of the free-for-personal-use SecureZip Express that was made available a couple of years ago. When I try to reinstall it and it "calls home," it refuses to authenticate. PKWare's response to my tech support request is to say that the free version is no longer available and that I could get th...

new graphics book
Dona Wong's "The Wall Street Journal Guide to Information Graphics" is pretty good http://www.donawong.com/ ...

Print address labels
Getting this message word cannot start converter mswrd632 or DOSWRD32 Click the Fixit button at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;973904 -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "Robneedshelp" <Robneedshelp@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Can't connect a windows 7 computer
I have a brand new Dell server with SBS 2008. I have a brand new Dell laptop running Windows 7 Pro. On the laptop I run http://connect and go through the wizard until I press "Set up this computer for myself" whereupon I get the message "The computer does not meet the maximum operating system requirements for running client setup" Any advice please Many thanks - Anthony Have you installed SBS2008 Rollup 3 on the server? 969121 Description of Windows Small Business Server 2008 Update Rollup 3 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;969121 ...

Unable to install RMS on Home Office Computer
I am trying to get RMS set up on my home office computer so I can manipulate the data, write and test reports, without doing damage to our actual data at work. Unfortunately, the installation routine will not let me install the MSDE. Here's the contents of the installation error log: 2005-03-02 17:00:26.92 server Server Process ID is 3720. 2005-03-02 17:00:26.92 server Logging SQL Server messages in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'. 2005-03-02 17:00:26.95 server SQL Server is starting at priority class 'normal'(2 CPUs detected). 20...

Transferring Domains No Longer Requires Consent
For those with their own domain names, here is an article that can either help you or mess you up, see the entire article. Basis is supposed to be to allow you to transfer from a nasty isp to a good isp, but possibly could be used by domain squatters to steal your domain : ------ Aunty Spam's Net Patrol � Transferring Domains No Longer Requires Consent - Registrars Advise That You Lock Your Domain "11/10/2004 The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has put into place a new rule which says that if a request to transfer an Internet domain is made, and there...

Importing OE 6 folders from ME to XP?
Hello, My question is in regards to importing Outlook Express folders from a machine with Windows ME to a machine with Windows XP. The XP machine already has folders set up with many ancestry mails that cannot be lost. If I export from the ME to the XP machine will the current XP folders and mail be deleted from the XP machine or just added to the current XP OE folders? Sorry if this is confusing but I have been unable to find any answer on this. I just am not sure if the old OE folder contents will be added to the new OE folder contents without deleting the new OE folder mail. Thanks Ka...

EXCEL and XP
Can anyone help. I have been sent a file via CD Rom it was saved using XP professional. I have XP Home but can not open it. I am aware that XP Pro has file encryption would this be the problem?? Is there a way around it? Thanks A file should never be saved to a floppy or a cd. It should be save and then COPIED to the media. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Martin" <gaymarlyn@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:077e01c3d39d$367af5a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone help. I have been sent a file via CD Rom it was > saved using XP professional. I have...