How do I move Outlook to a new computer

I need to upgrade some of my users to new computers but I need them to keep
their old e-mails, contacts, tasks etc.. What files do I have to copy over
to the new machines? I see an outlook.pst but I don't know if e-mail folders
are in there as well. hopefully this is easy to do if the same version of
Outlook eg 2000

What if the new computer hasa a new version of outlook?

I'm sure this has been discussed so just a pointer to the info would be
fine.

Thanks
jt

0
yea (5)

After you install Outlook on the new computer, you can copy the old .pst
file to the new computer, then import it into the new Outlook using: File,
Import and Export, Import from another file or program, Personal Folder
File. Browse for the copy of the old .pst file and complete the import of
the .pst file. Good luck - Aidan

"Aidan" <oreilly_aidan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After you install Outlook on the new computer, you can copy the old .pst
> file to the new computer, then import it into the new Outlook using: File,
> Import and Export, Import from another file or program, Personal Folder
> File. Browse for the copy of the old .pst file and complete the import of
> the .pst file. Good luck - Aidan

Why Import the old pst? Why not just add it by browsing to it and continue
to use it? As long as the same person is using the same account/pst why
bother importing? I ask because importing may have an advantage over adding,
and I'd like to know if it does. Also, isn't there anohter file he needs to
copy -- the address book? Or is that included in the pst?

> "MS" <yea@right.off> wrote in message
> > I need to upgrade some of my users to new computers but I need them to
> keep
> > their old e-mails, contacts, tasks etc.. What files do I have to copy
over
> > to the new machines? I see an outlook.pst but I don't know if e-mail
> folders
> > are in there as well. hopefully this is easy to do if the same version
of
> > Outlook eg 2000
> >

> > What if the new computer hasa a new version of outlook?
> >

> > I'm sure this has been discussed so just a pointer to the info would be
> > fine.
> >
> > Thanks
> > jt

0
Peter
2/15/2005 3:01:02 PM
Aidan wrote:
> After you install Outlook on the new computer, you can copy the old .pst
> file to the new computer, then import it

Current best practice says do NOT import but go to File-Open-Outlook
data file and navigate to the folder where you copied the pst file to.
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
0
gordonbp11 (453)
2/15/2005 4:14:40 PM
MS <yea@right.off> wrote:

> I need to upgrade some of my users to new computers but I need them
> to keep their old e-mails, contacts, tasks etc.. What files do I have
> to copy over to the new machines? I see an outlook.pst but I don't
> know if e-mail folders are in there as well. hopefully this is easy
> to do if the same version of Outlook eg 2000

If anyone tells you to "export" or "import", don't listen.  See
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

> What if the new computer hasa a new version of outlook?

It will still be able to use your old data.

> I'm sure this has been discussed so just a pointer to the info would
> be fine.

Google Groups (http://groups.google.com/) is how you search newsgroups for
information.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/15/2005 4:15:41 PM
"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

> Current best practice says do NOT import but go to File-Open-Outlook data
> file and navigate to the folder where you copied the pst file to.

OK Thanks, is it just the one file, outlook.pst that I need to worry about?
It contains everything?

TIA
jt

0
yea (5)
2/15/2005 8:28:20 PM
MS <yea@right.off> wrote:

> OK Thanks, is it just the one file, outlook.pst that I need to worry
> about? It contains everything?

Generally, yes, but see this:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

New Implementation

Attaching Contacts to new email

New to excel

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

cannot open hyper links in outlook

New Record