How do I make my task list work like it did in Groupwise?

My firm recently switched from Groupwise 7 to Outlook 2003.  I was an avid
user of the task list in Groupwise and there are several features I loved
that I have yet to figure out in Outlook.

I don't want my tasks to appear on my list until I need them.  It clutters
up the list to see tasks that I don't need to deal with for months.

I want all the tasks I have completed to be visible someplace, however not
on the list.

I want to be able to print my task list, in a list format, and see the notes
section.  That is where all the good stuff is.  It does me no good to just
see the subject line of the task.

I am a fairly adept user and can usually figure this stuff out.  Please
help, I am getting frustrated!!!!
0
Liz1 (52)

G'day Liz

Having taught people to use both products I know what you mean.  The best
stuff in Outlook is well hidden.  Here are a few tips for you.  I hope
you'll feel better soon!

Turn on the Advanced toolbar.
Use the Field Chooser (from that toolbar) in the Tasks folder to show the
Fields you want to see.
Also try the Group By Box in the Tasks folder.

To see which Tasks you need to do each day go to the Calendar.
Turn on the TaskPad. (View | TaskPad)
Set it to show Active Tasks for Selected Days (View | TaskPad View etc)
When you make Tasks, the Start date determines when it will show up on the
TaskPad. (when you use Active Tasks for Selected Days Setting)

To make emails into Tasks (it was easier in GroupWise!!):
Right mouse drag an email from the Inbox to the Tasks Folder, release and
select Move here....

How's that for starters?

Regards

Judy Gleeson
MVP Outlook
Trainer and Consultant

There are various articles about using Outlook here: www.judygleeson.com
Canberra, Australia

"Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My firm recently switched from Groupwise 7 to Outlook 2003.  I was an avid
> user of the task list in Groupwise and there are several features I loved
> that I have yet to figure out in Outlook.
>
> I don't want my tasks to appear on my list until I need them.  It clutters
> up the list to see tasks that I don't need to deal with for months.
>
> I want all the tasks I have completed to be visible someplace, however not
> on the list.
>
> I want to be able to print my task list, in a list format, and see the
> notes
> section.  That is where all the good stuff is.  It does me no good to just
> see the subject line of the task.
>
> I am a fairly adept user and can usually figure this stuff out.  Please
> help, I am getting frustrated!!!!

0
gleeson_judy (322)
11/8/2007 8:10:52 AM
Liz <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I don't want my tasks to appear on my list until I need them.  It
> clutters up the list to see tasks that I don't need to deal with for
> months.
>
> I want all the tasks I have completed to be visible someplace,
> however not on the list.

Try the Next Seven Days view or create a view that shows you only the tasks
you wish to see.

> I want to be able to print my task list, in a list format, and see
> the notes section.  That is where all the good stuff is.  It does me
> no good to just see the subject line of the task.

If you notes are short, you could add the Notes field to the header line
with Field Chooser so that the notes appear in the task list.  They'll print
then when you choose the Table style.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Distribution List Auto Respond
Hello all, Do any of you know of a way to have Exchange auto respond to messages sent to a distribution list? I do not want to turn on the Send Out-of-Office Messaegs to originator option on because all of the members will have their own OOF messages set up during our Holiday Closure (1 week). The desire is that when people send a message to our Help Desk DL during our closure they would receive a message in return stating that we are closed for the holidays. Thanks for any help with this. Mike Seattle Pacific University You may have to remove everyone from the DL except a temp user wi...

Smart List Builder
We just bought Smartlist Builder. Are there any good resources out there for using it? Thanks! There are a few sample SmartLists from Great Plains. They are located in the document library on customer source. -- www.fmtconsultants.com "Wes" wrote: > We just bought Smartlist Builder. Are there any good resources out there for > using it? > > Thanks! > > > ...

Capital One Downloads (and other Yodlee Downloads) not working
I use MS Money to download transactions of Capital One and Bank of America credit cards. For the last 4 days, MS Money has been unable to download these transactions, and when I log into the "My Money" section of the MSN Money web site, I cannot download the transactions either. Both of these downloads are handled via the Yodlee service. Is this a known outage? Are others experiencing the same problem? Is there a solution? I've tried logging in and out of Passport, but the downloads continue to fail. Thanks, Reddog None of these are working for me today. I assume i...

List<string> as class property ?

Self-Made Combo Boxes not working correctly...
Okay all.. Here's my deal... I have tried and tried and tried to get these to work... I'm going to post what I have done, and what I am trying to do, and see if someone can help me figure crap out... tblBuilding - PK is BuildingIDNum - Autonumber tblBuildingZones - FK is BuildingIDNum via SELECT DISTINCTROW Building.BuildingIDNum, Building.Name FROM Building ORDER BY Building.BuildingIDNum; cboBuilding - This has Building 1, Building 2, etc. The field displaying this info is "Name" in tblBuilding. cboBuildingZones - This has different "zones" for Building 1,...

master list for auto complete data?
Is it possible to have a master list, in my case it's of names, in a workbook that excel will use for auto complete data for that workbook? Thanks Hi Tangy Go to "Tools>Auto Correct Options", select the "Auto Correct" tab and enter the abbreviated items and full names for those items you want Excel to replace. Ensure the relevant boxes are ticked. -- XL2002 Regards William willwest22@yahoo.com "Tangy" <t a n g y@rogers.com> wrote in message news:_OqdnbKPa7IShELcRVn-jQ@rogers.com... | Is it possible to have a master list, in my case it'...

Filtered list
Hi, I hope that some one can help! I want to take a certain range of cells in the file "HCP_2005_upgrade" and filter so as to select all the cells that are not empty. Then select all the rows for these cells and copy them to a new workbook "W_V" in "sheet2". I have the following code. Three problems: 1- When copying to the new workbook I did not have the same column width. What should I do in order to have the same column width? 2- What code do I need to add, and where, so as to let the macro automatically find the last r...

outlook contact list problem
Hello, I've been using Outlook for quite some time and it worked fine. My set-up: At work an english Outlook 2002 At home a german Outlook 2000 To sync I use an IPAQ PPC with Active Sync 3.7 I've now installed bluetooth support and sync even with my SE mobile phone with XTND Before the contact list was on both computers shown as "first last" i.e. Tom Smith, but now suddenly it shows as "Smith, Tom" I checked the settings on both outlooks and it says: "first last" both in - Tools>Options>Contact options> - Tools > E-mail accounts &g...

Creating a list of info in A1 cell in multiple worksheets
How can I create a list of the info/contents in the A1 cell in multiple worksheets? I am trying to create a summary worksheet of the data from 90 worksheets and would like to be able to list the headers in the A1 cell vertically. 'Right click on the summary sheet tab, and paste in this macro. 'Edit where appropriate: Sub CreateSummary() 'Starting row for summary: i = 1 For Each Sheet In ThisWorkbook.Sheets If Sheet.Name <> Me.Name Then 'Control What column to place data in Me.Cells(i, "A").Value = Sheet.Range("A1").Value i = i + 1...

require completion of a task
i have a task that automatically generates in crm when a lead is created. i want to require that this task is completed before converting to an opportunity. Any suggestions on how to do this. wendi Wendi, That is an interesting scenario, and not one I'm sure there is an easy answer for. Hopefully one of the other folks will have a better idea, but it looks to me like you'll need a bit of custom programming called a "callout" that looks at the "pre-create" of the Opportunity and checks to see if that task is completed before it will allow the Opportunity t...

Print Tasks Outlook 2007 Q.
I would love to print out a listing of all my tasks. Unfortunatly, I cannot think of how to do this. I can select my desired list of tasks but when I print it out, they only print one page to a task. How can I print a listing of tasks that will be more like the display? Respectfully, Jonathan Morningstar Greenville, South Carolina USA How and where in Outlook are you "selecting my desired list of Tasks?" Have you made a filtered view of the Tasks Folder? Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook www.judygleeson.com Outlook 2003 user? Read "7 settings all Outlook 2003 us...

Hiding tasks with due dates in the distant future
I'd like to display only my tasks for the next month or so. How can I filter out those that are in the distant future or recurring tasks that won't be due until next year or the year after? Hi, Goto the Tasks folder. Goto the Customize current view. Click on the Filter Button. Goto the Advanced Tab. Under define more criteria, clickon the Feilds and then select All Task Feilds and then select Due Date. Then under the condition Select Between and then in the Value enter the range of dates ( say 3/8/2004 and 3/10/2004 ). Hope this helps !!! With Regards, Sudharson.AN "Ambe...

sync outlook and entourage tasks 02-12-10
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Is it possible to record a task in outlook and have it show up in entourage, and vice versa...? On 2/12/10 2:29 PM, in article 59bb2be3.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "cccryer@officeformac.com" <cccryer@officeformac.com> wrote: > Exchange Is it possible to record a task in outlook and have it show up in > entourage, and vice versa...? Entourage for EWS: Notes and Tasks don't sync? <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2010/01/entourage_for_ews_notes_and_ta...

Outlook 2007 Instant Search not working.
I installed Outlook 2007 on Windows XP SP2. The instant search does not work and desktop search can find everything except email messages. I have rebuilt the index and uninstalled and reinstalled Window Desktop Search 3.0. Any other ideas on how to fix this? I fixed mine by doing two things, not scientific, doing only one may have worked. I unchecked Outlook Express. (Maybe it only likes one email client) (It search OE fine by the way) I ran the repair option for Office 2007 in add remove programs. (I installed search after Outlook prompted me on its first use, maybe Search should be...

Message tracking not work on XP SP2
Message tracking is not working on Windows XP SP2. I've tried System Manager 2000 and 2003 with the same result. Message searching will started, but is still running without result. After uninstalling SP2 it's working fine! On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 05:26:05 -0700, Pol <Pol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Message tracking is not working on Windows XP SP2. I've tried System Manager >2000 and 2003 with the same result. Message searching will started, but is >still running without result. After uninstalling SP2 it's working fine! Your workstation needs to be abl...

Help making BINGO cards

Set a recurring task ie. a task to check a website each month
It would be advantageous to be able to set a recurring task ie. a daily, weekly, monthly or other multiple task. An example would be if you needed to go to an accounts website or prospects website once a month to look for leads. Or to check out a competitor for new things on their website. It could also apply to phoning or mailing etc. This would save constantly having to remember to create a followup or write up to dozens of followups at different dates. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote f...

Merge & Sort Dynamic Lists w/ Data Validation
First off, let me say thanks to the Excel Usenet community that has helped me over and over through these newsgroups. You are phenomenal. Question 1: I need to create a BOTH box that will dynamically pull names from both the "Chicago Office" & "Seattle Office" columns in my sheet. It is extremely preferable to do this without VB Script if possible to avoid the security warnings on opening the sheet. (Our IT department will not budge on this..) Detail: I have two lists of employees. Column A lists the Chicago Office employees. Column B lists the Seattle Office employee...

Can't get automatic updates to work
I get this message: [Error number: 0x8DDD0018] The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running: Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer) Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted) Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed) To make sure these services are running: 1. Click Start, and then click Run. 2. Type servic...

Random List from Query
For accrediation purposes we have to audit a random 10% of our cases each quarter I was wondering if there is a way to run a query or report that would let me show a random 10% of cases for a specific provider. ...

List of items with commissions
Is there a report that will list items that have a commission set on them? I want to be able to email our sales reps a list, but haven't found a good way to do it. The report I'd like, but don't know how to create would have department, category, item, price, and commission amount. Thanks for any help, -CP Hi there, Retail Analytics from Professional Advantage will enable you to create that report. Basically anything that is captured in RMS can be reported on in Retail Analytics. If you would like to take a look at the product, a quick movie is available at http://www.p...

How do I assign a set of values to a selection from a drop list?
Hi. I am trying to assign a set of values, in separate fields ,to a each selection from a drop-down list in Excel (using data validation). What I am trying to do is very smilar to, say, to selecting a SKU from a list and having the product description, unit price etc. fill into their corresponding fields automatically. For example, I pick SKU "11111" from a drop-down list to fill the SKU field, then, automatically, "5-inch widget" comes up in the product description field and "$5.00" shows up in the unit price field. Please help. Mike Along with the d...

CRM Task not working in SFO
I have a problem with SFO. There is no response when I click the "CRM Task" button on the SFO CRM Toolbar. The others work fine - CRM email, convert to crm email, crm appointment, etc. This only happens on one machine. Can't see anything on the server logs. Where should I be looking for errors on the client? Anyone seen this problem before? Try clearing the "cache". In the SFO client> Tools and Options Other tab and then Advanced Options button Custom Forms button and then Manage forms button The click the "clear cache" button. Should be OK then. Guy....

Works Portfolio
I accidently deleted my WksSb.exe application, how can I get this application back? -- Sugarpiemims ...

Most Recently Used list (MRU)
My Most Recently Used list (MRU) does not always list the Most Recently Used file. Sometimes the file i just used shows up and sometimes it doesnt. I cant find a pattern to identfy why it lists. Basically, i would like it to show any time i open the file. Or, at least if i save the file. How can i understand and control this. I now have it set to 9 Most Recently Used files. Thanks, Dave The MRU will only show those files that you open using Files | Open.... If you use a macro to open a file, or double click on a file to open it, then those won't show up. You can use a macro t...