How do I know whether i have a POP3 or IMAP server and a SMTP server?

I have no idea what type of email that i have.  The setup asks for whether I have a POP3 or IMAP server and the address of it.  I don't even know what that means.  The email I have is based from my school: albany.edu.  The address I use to access the mail is https://webmail.albany.edu/src/login.php  How do I figure out how to set up my Outlook?  Also, I have another email address based on www.aol.com that I would also like to connect.  How do I set that one up as well?  Help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
0
ln4735 (1)

1.  Ask your school mail admin for that information - no one here would
know.
2.  AOL and Outlook do not play well together since AOL uses a proprietary
non-standard mail system.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the
Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted
w/out reading.

Laura <ln4735@albany.edu> asked:

| I have no idea what type of email that i have.  The setup asks for
| whether I have a POP3 or IMAP server and the address of it.  I don't
| even know what that means.  The email I have is based from my school:
| albany.edu.  The address I use to access the mail is
| https://webmail.albany.edu/src/login.php  How do I figure out how to
| set up my Outlook?  Also, I have another email address based on
| www.aol.com that I would also like to connect.  How do I set that one
| up as well?  Help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

0
MillyS1 (1480)
11/11/2003 5:13:18 AM
You'll have to ask your school's internet people what type of e-mail you
have and what the server names are.  Did they give you any kind of
instruction manual or a link to a website that might give you this
information?

As for your AOL account, you can't connect that directly to Outlook -- AOL
doesn't provide any mechanism for this.  However, there are some third party
add-ins that may work for you.  Check them out here:

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/online.htm#aol

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

"Laura" <ln4735@albany.edu> wrote in message
> I have no idea what type of email that i have.  The setup asks for whether
I have a POP3 or IMAP server and the address of it.  I don't even know what
that means.  The email I have is based from my school: albany.edu.  The
address I use to access the mail is https://webmail.albany.edu/src/login.php
How do I figure out how to set up my Outlook?  Also, I have another email
address based on www.aol.com that I would also like to connect.  How do I
set that one up as well?  Help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Two Exchange Server
I have Company A with Location A and Location B. Location B implemented a separate Exchange Server, HOW can I get mail to flow to A & B with same PUBLIC DNS NAME? How can I reroute SMTP to another server but not in the same Exchange site or ORG? I just want mail to go to next set of mailboxes at another location if it does not find it in the first location - WHEN different Exchange site / org altogether. Hope it makes sense. On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:43:21 -0600, "Ed" <edg@wti.com> wrote: >I have Company A with Location A and Location B. Location B implement...

Exchange 2003 SRS & Removing a 5.5 server
I am removing an Exchange 5.5 server from a EX2003 administrative group. I connect with the 5.5 admin to the SRS server for that administrative group and notice 2 things. 1) the connectors I had deleted from the 5.5 server 2 weeks ago appear under the connections in the 5.5 admin 2) when I try to delete the 5.5 server I get a message that there are 190+ mailboxes on the server. All of the mailboxes it claims are there had been moved off of the 5.5 server 2 weeks ago. There appears to be something wrong with the SRS. Can I delete the 5.5 server despite the warning about the mailboxes ...

Outlook 2003 Server Reply Rule
Has anyone out there experimented with rules in Outlook 2003? Although it may be very similar for 2000. I am trying to create a server reply using a specific message in my conference room resource and get the error, "The form required to view this message cannot be displayed. Contact your administrator." Any ideas? Clear the forms cache. Close Outlook. Find the file frmcache.dat. Delete it. The restart Outlook. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** &qu...

Need help setting up a leave copy on server
I have an exchange server. I'm trying to setup an option where I can leave a copy on server, so that the client can recieve the same E-mail on the website and on his computer at work. How can I configure that option on outlook meanwhile having an exchange server? Don't use a .pst file and the mail will remain in the exchange mailbox. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, ...

Cannotconnect to Exchange Server from a RDP session or server local machine
Please excuse the double posting as I wasn't sure which group to post this in. I'm having issues using Outlook from a server desktop, an RDP or ICA connection. I have remote users who connect using Citrix. They logon to the Citrix server desktop (Windows 2003 Server) and use Outlook from there. They can also use Outlook from within Citrix as it is a Published Application. I know some of you are going to suggest why don't they use OWA but let's not get into that. I can log onto any workstation here in the office and connect to the Exchange server and open their Outlook. W...

Two SBS exchange servers one Internet Domain
I work for a non-profit company. We have two seperate locations. Both locations have a DSL connection with a constant IP address. We have two SBS 2003 servers. Currently I have them setup like this: Corporate server: I have exchange setup with all the users from both locations. DNS points to this server to send emails. branch server: I have only the users setup that are in this location. I setup a POP3 connector with these users pointing them to my corporate server. It pulls down the email every 30 minutes. I have setup the "forward all mail with unresolved recepients to host&q...

Exchange vs POP3
Hi, I have both Exchange (Need VPN Connection to Access the Exchange Server) and POP3 (No Need for VPN) accounts for emails... I normally surf the Web without VPN connection, therefore, when I open Outlook, it opens up the default profile and then due to the fact that the Exchange server is not accessible without VPN, it pops and asks me to work offline... I fogot what I did last time that I didn't have to click "Retry" or "Work Offline" and Outlook checks my POP3 accounts automatically...anyone knows how to fix this??? Thanks a lot, J- ...

I new to this Exchange server
Can someone please help... I'm having a problem where I cannot receive email from a specific person... and nothing has changed could some point me in the right direction on where to look for answer... I can send her email but not receive her response.... I can email her external from the company(gmail) and I'm able to receive her mail. It is something on my side but I have no idea where to start... I know this is sad but I am the person responsible to fix this issue. Thanks for any help! Kimberly On 24 Jul 2006 13:35:07 -0700, "kdegonia" <kdegonia@gmail.com> wrote...

KB 827401 fails on Windows 2003 Server
I have the exact problem described in KB 827401. (My Project Web Access is blank instead of displaying the timesheet). When I follow the KB procedure I get the message that the Windows Script 5.6 is not Logo Certified for Windows 2003 Server and the installation fails. My Windows 2003 Server is running Terminal Services in application mode and runs Outlook 2003. ...

New mystery with POP3 Connector
I repaired the SBS 2008 POP3 Connector according to MS's Tech Net instructions. The service operates correctly, but, when I restart the server, the service does not start automatically. I tried changing the recovery options, but nothing worked until I set the service to Automatic (Delayed Start). It was not set to a delayed start before. What has changed that requires the delay? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004E_01CAA0D0.2D45A0A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable It...

In Excel: If I know a file has 147,000 records, but Excel will on.
In Excel: If I know a file has 147,000 records, but Excel will only load 65,000, how do I get to the rest of the file? MVP Chip Pearson's website has some code that may help you out: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >In Excel: If I know a file has 147,000 records, but Excel will only load >65,000, how do I get to the rest of the file? >. > > attached a VBS script that I wrote to do that. Was unable to save it, Jim .. Could you paste it in the message itself ? Thanks -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22...

install new exchane server...
We are already having 1 domain controller (domain.com) in our premises which we are using for user logon, file servers, data storage, respository etc., Now we have planning to install another new Windows 2003 Server and Microsft Exhcange 2003 Server on the this new server. I would like to register new domain name (proven.com) for exchange server instead of using old(domain.com). Can anybody guide me about how to setup this environment? Shall I run Forestprep and Domainprep on new domain? Note1 :- I do not want to join & upgrade new server to our existing domain as we have planning to r...

Permanent failure reported by policy group provider on Exchange 2003 SP2 server.
I recently added another Windows 2003 Server and added it to the domain. I then installed Exchange System Manager on this new server. (I applied SP2 for Exchange on this server). Since then I have been getting the following error in my event log. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeAL Event Category: Service Control Event ID: 8231 Date: 6/14/2006 Time: 8:06:13 AM User: N/A Computer: MAIL1 Description: Permanent failure reported by policy group provider for 'CN=System Policies,CN=PA,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration...

outlook timing out to server
I set up my dad's new Dell with outlook for email. Everything was working fine. I did the service updates that Microsoft recommended and now I cannt send or get email. It never connects to the server. Any help is apprecaited. My ISP was stumped and could not figure it out. dialup or broadband (cable/dsl)? if broadband, are you behind a router that lets you share a single ip address? -- Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "egriffit@prodigy.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03bd01c...

routing smtp email between exchange and domino
hi to everyone... your goal is to migrate the mail server from exchange to domino... we have, behind the main exchange server, a domino server that share the same mail domain and where new user have their new mailboxes... i've used the microsoft connector for lotus notes during the coexistece of the two mail system, and everything works fine... directory sincronization and mail transport... but we have problem with html mails... i goggled and i'm discovered that the connector have this terrible bug: no good conversion of html mail :( so i find that i can bypass this routing messages b...

Server Failure 131: A server failure occurred while attempting to.
I get the following error message every time I try to open Manager or POS and it doesn't allow me to continue. "Server Failure 131: A server failure occurred while attempting to read the current batch." Any idea on how to fix this? I use version 1.2. Thanks a lot. You probably have a problem with tender types. Have you been running any SQL Statements? There may be a Knowledge Base article on Customer Source regarding this, but you should probably either seek help from your reseller or open a support incident with MS. This is pretty deep into the RMS weeds. Is this happe...

Manually run message rules on the server
Hi, Is there a way to run message rules (created by the end-user on Outlook) on the server, say on a daily basis ? The reason is that that person has ~50 rules, moving all incoming messages from his inbox to specific folders. Since he now owns a BES-enabled BlackBerry, these rules prevent him from getting his emails onto his handheld. The idea would be to run all the rules once a day, on his behalf, on the server. Exchange 2007 SP1 Thanks Christian Some rules, like moving messages to another folder in the same mailbox, will run server-side by default, depending on how they're create...

Blackberry Professional Server Express on SBS2k3 R2
I have a client who wishes to install Blackbery Professional Server Express on an SBS 2003 R2 box. I told him that my inclination was that it was in his best interest to install Blackberry Server Express on a separate server. He is pushing to the contrary based on Blackberry's minimal requirements. Does anyone have any experience installing Blackberry Professional Express in this type of one server environment? Are there any caveats? I am concerned with overehead from the Blackberry software and compatability issues with installed Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchan...

Any 3rd Party POP/IMAP routers?
We are using CRM3 without Exchange as our email is hosted externally. From what I have read (put very simply) the Exchange router reads the email in a single email box, sucks into CRM any it recognizes and moves any it doesn't recognize into a folder in Exchange. If you use Exchange you also set up a rule for each CRM user that sends all incoming emails (as attachments) to the single CRM email box. Anyone know of any 3rd party add-on/ tool that can do this for either a POP3 or IMAP account? We can set up a single email account and create the necessary rule, we just need some form of connec...

Server Error
Since applying service pack 3 on Office XP, I get a "server permanently rejected" error. What can be causing this? How can I fix it? John, Can you please reply back with the exact/verbatim error message ? -- Thank you! Sincerely, Chris Lineback, MCSE Microsoft Enterprise Messaging Support - Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. -This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "John" <john.marthe@colorado.edu> wrote in message news:2c5e01c4286d$d8048e20$a301280a@phx.gb...

GroupShield 6.0 for Exchange Server 2003
Where can I obtain or download the GroupShield 6.0 for Exchange Installation Guide and Configuration Guide? I can't find it in www.nai.com... Thanks in Advance. https://mysupport.nai.com/DocsFAQs/docs.asp ?? On 11 Nov 2004 11:15:46 -0800, oeforero@hotmail.com (carpathia) wrote: >Where can I obtain or download the GroupShield 6.0 for Exchange >Installation Guide and Configuration Guide? > >I can't find it in www.nai.com... > >Thanks in Advance. Andy, I found it where you said, thank you very much from Colombia. Andy David - Exchange MVP <adavid@pleasekeepi...

icon picture on server log in on Win7
I have this one site I go to which pops up a window that says windows security and has a place for me to sign in with name and password. It has this icon in the window next to the sign in of a flower. It is the same type of icon that is used in the user accounts but I am using my own so it isn't the same. I would love to get something a little more to my liking instead of the icon of a flower but I have checked everyplace I can think of including everything on the control panel but no luck. Is there a way of changing this? Daves, The "flower" is the curren...

do you have to have a server to use outlook for yahoo mail?
can i use outlook for yahoo mail? i do not have a server. if i can how do i set it up? i am at a loss any responce would be helpful. Have you checked Yahoo! help for mail problems? Using Yahoo with Outlook requires their premium service, btw. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, rick asked: | can i use outlook for yahoo mail? i do not have a server. if i can | how do i set it up? i am at a loss any responce would be h...

Scond Exchange Server, recieiving 'No such domain at this location' messages.
Hello, This should be a simple one for someone out there. I just brought a second Exchange 2003 server online and moved a couple of mailboxes to the new server (mine is one of them). I can no longer send email to external email addresses. When I do, I recieve the following error message.... external.address@domain.com on 3/28/2007 10:28 AM There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <newserver.internaldomain.local #5.5.0 smtp;550 <external.address@domain.com>: Recipient address ...

Win Live mail does not delete mails on server after emptying "deleted items" folder?
Hi. We're using wlm as a mail client at the office and we set all the clients to leave the messages on server. Only one client is set to remove from the server after deleting from deleted items. This method once used to work but now it does not. We have to empty our inbox via the host's web mail application. What should we do, what is wrong with wlm? Should we use another mail client? Thank you in advance for your suggestions. -- australis Support for Windows Live Essential applications and Live Services is available in the Windows Live Solution Center Windows Live ...