How do I get Outlook2003 to open folders when new mail arrives?

Outlook 2003 / ms Exchange 2007

Hi

How do I get Outlook2003 to open folders when new mail arrives?

Background:
I have just changed my profile so that we now use Ms Exchange(2007)
with our Outlook(2003). In my previous profile (which used .PST
files), when new mail arrives in a folder (having been placed there by
a rule), Outlook would automatically open each folder when it puts new
emails into that folder.
This would mean that previously I could see at a glance where new
emails have arrived (because the foldername has gone bold, with the
number of unread emails also showing in brackets).

But with the new profile that uses ms Exchange 2007 and an .OST files
(instead of a .PST file), emails are now arriving in folders without
that folder being made visible. This means that unless you keep all
possible folder directories open all the time, that it becomes very
hard to find see any new emails.

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henether

P.S. Someone talked about using categories, but I do not undersand how
to do that!

0
shiphen (100)

Are the rules Client side? If they don't say client side, they
aren't -server side rules move messages as they arrive on the server and
outlook doesn't touch the message. Since it doesn't touch the message, it
can't open the folder.

See http://www.slipstick.com/rules/serverbased.htm for ways to make rules
client side, although I don't recommend it. Use the unread search folder
instead.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com

"ship" <shiphen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003 / ms Exchange 2007
>

> Hi
>
> How do I get Outlook2003 to open folders when new mail arrives?
>
> Background:
> I have just changed my profile so that we now use Ms Exchange(2007)
> with our Outlook(2003). In my previous profile (which used .PST
> files), when new mail arrives in a folder (having been placed there by
> a rule), Outlook would automatically open each folder when it puts new
> emails into that folder.
> This would mean that previously I could see at a glance where new
> emails have arrived (because the foldername has gone bold, with the
> number of unread emails also showing in brackets).
>
> But with the new profile that uses ms Exchange 2007 and an .OST files
> (instead of a .PST file), emails are now arriving in folders without
> that folder being made visible. This means that unless you keep all
> possible folder directories open all the time, that it becomes very
> hard to find see any new emails.
>
> With thanks
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henether
>
> P.S. Someone talked about using categories, but I do not undersand how
> to do that!

0
outlookmvp (5838)
6/26/2010 12:54:57 AM

Some of my rules are definitely "client" side but outlook moans about
this refuses to store them as being active!
For example I had a rule to move emails from any of my social friends
to into a folder called "Personal".
Unfortunately Outlook (2003) says that it can't store such rules.

Is there no tool or rule in Outlook to open up ALL my folders that
have unread emails in them?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

On Jun 26, 1:54=A0am, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
> Are the rules Client side? If they don't say client side, they
> aren't -server side rules move messages as they arrive on the server and
> outlook doesn't touch the message. Since it doesn't touch the message, it
> can't open the folder.
>
> Seehttp://www.slipstick.com/rules/serverbased.htmfor ways to make rules
> client side, although I don't recommend it. Use the unread search folder
> instead.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com/
> OutlookForumshttp://www.outlookforums.com
>
> "ship" <ship...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Outlook 2003 / ms Exchange 2007
>
> > Hi
>
> > How do I get Outlook2003 to open folders when new mail arrives?
>
> > Background:
> > I have just changed my profile so that we now use Ms Exchange(2007)
> > with our Outlook(2003). In my previous profile (which used .PST
> > files), when new mail arrives in a folder (having been placed there by
> > a rule), Outlook would automatically open each folder when it puts new
> > emails into that folder.
> > This would mean that previously I could see at a glance where new
> > emails have arrived (because the foldername has gone bold, with the
> > number of unread emails also showing in brackets).
>
> > But with the new profile that uses ms Exchange 2007 and an .OST files
> > (instead of a .PST file), emails are now arriving in folders without
> > that folder being made visible. This means that unless you keep all
> > possible folder directories open all the time, that it becomes very
> > hard to find see any new emails.
>
> > With thanks
>
> > Ship
> > Shiperton Henether
>
> > P.S. Someone talked about using categories, but I do not undersand how
> > to do that!- Hide quoted text -

shiphen (100)
6/28/2010 12:23:59 PM
No, there is no tool - you can expand all folders in a message store using
keyboard shortcuts though. Or use an Unread search folder.

The shortcuts to expand and collapse folders are +, -, and * on the *numeric
keypad*.
(From Working with Folder and list views at
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/shortcuts.htm)

--

> Some of my rules are definitely "client" side but outlook moans about
> this refuses to store them as being active!
> For example I had a rule to move emails from any of my social friends
> to into a folder called "Personal".
> Unfortunately Outlook (2003) says that it can't store such rules.
>
> Is there no tool or rule in Outlook to open up ALL my folders that
> have unread emails in them?
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe
>

> On Jun 26, 1:54 am, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
>> Are the rules Client side? If they don't say client side, they
>> aren't -server side rules move messages as they arrive on the server and
>> outlook doesn't touch the message. Since it doesn't touch the message, it
>> can't open the folder.
>>
>> Seehttp://www.slipstick.com/rules/serverbased.htmfor ways to make rules
>> client side, although I don't recommend it. Use the unread search folder
>> instead.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com/
>> OutlookForumshttp://www.outlookforums.com
>>
>> "ship" <ship...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Outlook 2003 / ms Exchange 2007
>>
>> > Hi
>>
>> > How do I get Outlook2003 to open folders when new mail arrives?
>>
>> > Background:
>> > I have just changed my profile so that we now use Ms Exchange(2007)
>> > with our Outlook(2003). In my previous profile (which used .PST
>> > files), when new mail arrives in a folder (having been placed there by
>> > a rule), Outlook would automatically open each folder when it puts new
>> > emails into that folder.
>> > This would mean that previously I could see at a glance where new
>> > emails have arrived (because the foldername has gone bold, with the
>> > number of unread emails also showing in brackets).
>>
>> > But with the new profile that uses ms Exchange 2007 and an .OST files
>> > (instead of a .PST file), emails are now arriving in folders without
>> > that folder being made visible. This means that unless you keep all
>> > possible folder directories open all the time, that it becomes very
>> > hard to find see any new emails.
>>
>> > With thanks
>>
>> > Ship
>> > Shiperton Henether
>>
>> > P.S. Someone talked about using categories, but I do not undersand how
>> > to do that!- Hide quoted text -

outlookmvp (5838)
6/28/2010 10:10:42 PM
On Jun 28, 11:10=A0pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com>
wrote:
> No, there is no tool - you can expand all folders in a message store usin=
> keyboard shortcuts though. Or use an Unread search folder.
>
> The shortcuts to expand and collapse folders are +, -, and * on the *nume=
ric
> keypad*.

Sounded promising on paper but in practice not very useful. It only
opens
the position and level you are at, rather then the entire tree...

Ship

no new E-mails in Outlook Express inbox
As of today no E-mails were received. Buckeye checked their system and it is was ok they suggested I contact Dell. My Dell computor is new and I have been in the process of transferring data from my Macintosh to Dell via E-mail. Is this helpful in solving the receiving of E-Mails? Virginia I also cannot locate my address book nor my entered E-Mail adresses??? In news:5D56DA8C-799A-46D2-8DDF-7D4A350640B9@microsoft.com, outlook new users <outlook new users@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > As of today no E-mails were received. Buckeye checked their system > and it is w...

On-line services set up failed with "new & improved" Money update
Money 2005 Premium: with the mid-August unannounced update by Microsoft, I lost my ability to go on-line. I reviewed the instructions inside Money and tried to re-set the on-line service but I'm now in a loop that doesn't seem to have any way to back out of it or to move forward successfully. Instead of disabling the account first, which is listed in the long, weary icon version of the update instructions, I went to set up online services and now have the message "complete setup for online services" which apparently will not work because I consistently get a message ...

Opening Excel Files #10
Once upon a time, like everybody else, when I clicked on an Excel fil (say) on the Desktop, it would open for me. Now, I have to open th Excel program first, then click file-open. Any ideas -- wayne ----------------------------------------------------------------------- waynet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2796 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47464 Try this: <Tools> <Options> <General> tab, and *Uncheck* "Ignore Other Applications". -- HTH, RD -------------------------------...

Access denied opening XML attachment
A user on my network cannot open an xml attachment in Outlook 2003. It works fine in previous versions. It says "access denied. Error processing resource." If the file is saved to a drive, then it opens without a problem. Is there some security configuration that would cause this behavior? I have tested on multiple machines and multiple users to rule out profile or other causes. I have also checked security on the tmp folder the file is trying to open from. Any insight would be helpful. -Paul ...

Troubleshooting missing items in Search Folders
Hi, all - I've got OL2003 SP2, and in the interest of organizing my boatload of client correspondence, I've just started setting up search folders for them. I have used Search Folders a lot in the past, but am running into some strangeness... My goal is to find all mail sent to or from me, to or from my clients' registered domain names, looking in my inbox or sent items folder only. I was unable to make a wildcard (to act on anybody@domain.com) if I used a custom search folder, no matter what I did - in advanced, using "TO contains domainname.com" and "FROM c...

Exch. Server in Child Domain
Can a Parent Domain's public folders be synched to a child domain's exchange server? Sure as they are all in the same Exchange org. Nue "Dan Klinge" <Dan.Klinge@NOSPAMJERKArborMed.com> wrote in message news:uRS2KYKOGHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Can a Parent Domain's public folders be synched to a child domain's > exchange server? > On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:26:37 -0800, "Dan Klinge" <Dan.Klinge@NOSPAMJERKArborMed.com> wrote: >Can a Parent Domain's public folders be synched to a child domain's exchange >serve...

How do I get a filter to "UPDATE" the rows selected?
Hey there! I am using Excel 2002 and I have a speadsheet that has prices in it. If I have the filter set to (the filter criteria is much more complex than this though) prices for items that cost >$5.00. Of I change an item to 4.59, it should not be seen. How can I get it to re-update the rows shown, with out releaseing the filter and resetting it? Is there something like refresh.filter or anything like that? Thanks Phil AFAIK you must release and reset but a macro with a worksheet_change event could trigger this for you so that it would happen automatically. -- Don Guillett SalesAid...

Mail deleting from virtual inbox
When I open windows mail it automatically downloads and it deletes it from my virtual yahoo inbox, is there a way i can get it to stop deleting it or being able to place those messages back in my inbox to retrieve anywhere? also, it doesnt allow me to send messages so i cant foward them to myself! Thanks, i appreciate ur help! Erika Hey Erika. I was having similar problem a while back. I remember in my webmail (optus) there was an option at the bottom of the list of emails (delete after download). I had to untick this box. You may have something similar, maybe in tools?? Just be aw...

How big is the outgoing mail messages
Is there any way to see how big mail the user are sending or receiving. And who's sending the mail. I have exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 /RO ...

Only printing header in Windows Live Mail
My canon printer has suddenly stopped printing the email content - only the header. Printing in word, excel etc not affected. Using W7 (+ Firefox if that relavent). Any suggestions please Does you have the same problem if you try printing from IE? WLM depends on IE for printing services. Take a look at this: Print and Print Preview May Display Only Text at Top of Page http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272518 It's a similar problem for a different version but the fix may apply. -- Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us "Jem" <Jem@discussions.mic...

Outlook pop up windows stops outgoing mail
In the last 3 weeks I continue to get a pop up window titled "Enter Network Password". There is a key icon and the request: "Please type your user name and password." It then list my Server: (entered) Password: (entered with asterisk showing) I continually enter my Outlook password with Bellsouth and click the box "Save this password in your password list" and click "OK". Everything then works alright and then the window pops up again in 5 minutes. It happens over and over again. Anybody have any ideas on how to eliminate this? I use XP Pr...

open subfolders automatically on mail entry -- not happening.
Hello all. Have a problem that happens in one Outlook 2002, but not another -- so I know there's a likely setting someplace, but can't find it. I've even stumped my company's IT people on this one: I download mail through several rules (and accounts); and ship them to various subfolders off of parent folders. What I desire is to have the email automatically open the appropriate folder -- revealing the affected subfolder -- when new mail comes into it. In one of my Outlooks (both 2002), this does open automatically revealing the new highlighted message. But the other do...

Sent Mail items not showing up
Using Outlook 2002 w/SP2 on WinXP Pro. Unable to view items in Sent Item folder (Outlook shows normal blank window with "there are no items to show in this view") even though the Item count in the lower left shows over 2600 msgs in the Sent Items folder. It keeps increasing as new msgs are sent. Using the standard view, all standard columns, with NO Filter set. Anybody seen this before? Any ideas? ...

mail merge cannot continue
I have been using mail merge in Publisher 2000 on Windows XP. But it suddenly started refusing to work, giving the message "mail merge cannot continue". I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling things I had done recently, to no avail. Did you have to relink to your database? If so, try changing your selection in the checkbox for "First row of data contains column headers". Greg "Margaret" <denmar@zamnet.zm> wrote in message news:1738101c448d3$24c77fd0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have been using mail merge in Publisher 2000 on Windows > XP. But it...

Move / Migrate Mail
I currently have my Exchange server hosted off site. I am looking to move this in house, of course I don't own the hardware the server is currently on. So I will be building a new server. The current server (hosted) is in its own domain - I did not make this but I have to support it-, I have duplicate accounts for email, plus some only email accounts. I am looking for suggestions to accomplish this task. My idea was to add all the user accounts that are currently 'email only' to my domain so all my accounts match.... Make my Exchange server and mailboxes. Then should I u...

deleting mail on exit not working
hey guys im using outlook 2002 and I have selected empty deleted items folder upon exiting which works until i restart my computer. I have to slect this option everytime i restart my computer because the option keeps unchecking itself. Any body knows how to fix this problem thanks in advance Am 6 Sep 2005 12:04:27 -0700 schrieb jjlopez45@gmail.com: > hey guys im using outlook 2002 and I have selected empty deleted items > folder upon exiting which works until i restart my computer. I have to > slect this option everytime i restart my computer because the option > keeps uncheck...

New Entity Question
I created a new entity in CRM. After creation, by default, I have the following options under the Actions menu when a new object is created: Actions > Delete; Actions > Deactivate How do I get a "close"/"resolve" option to appear under Actions? (Ex: the way it appears under Cases, Activities, etc...) On the form of my new entity, I have a Regarding field so I'm able to track these objects in CRM. I would like to be able to keep the history in CRM, so I don't want to delete or deactivate these objects. Any advice? Thanks! ...

New CRM Database Views
I am need of creating a new CRM view to handle some report requirements. I have read that views that use views are supported and I have read that I need to create a new database adjacent to the CRM database. How are any of youh hanlding New CRM Database Views? If you scroll down the CRM tables in OrganizationName_MSCRM database then you will see the ffiltered views of table. I have created Reports in Business intelligence by using existing views of CRM . These views correspond to the security role of crm users. /Aamir Hello there, It's a good practice to create a new database to hol...

GST Tax Forms for New Zealand
Hi there, I have recently prchased Money 2005 Standard, ans the box has big claims about it being able to track GST on purchases etc. That all seems to be working well, except I cannot get the GST information out of it at all. How do I setup my tax forms to give me the totals that I need for my GST return? Thanks in advance Jerome Brown Dear Jerome, I also would like to display the GST in a final report. Did you have any luck elsewhere? Marcus "Jerome Brown" wrote: > Hi there, > > I have recently prchased Money 2005 Standard, ans the box has big claims > about...

Public Folder/OWA problem
We're running a pure Ex2k3 environment. I'm trying to setup a public folder where end-user software can be posted. This way, users can access our front-end OWA server outside of the network, open public folders, and then save the software to their local PC. The problem is that i get a "403 Forbidden" error whenever i try to download the file off of OWA. I checked that users had all permissions to the folder.. I found this TechNet article that describes something very similar (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834743/en-us). The only problem is that it refers to som...

Restoring Public Folder to a Recovery Server
Hello, We have exchange 2003. We restored our PUB folder database to a recovery server (separe forest). We are able to mount the database but how can we acess it. We know exmerge will not work in this case and we tried installing outlook client but we can only see the default Public folder database. Thanks in advance Hi, "xmis1" <xmis1@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6FCB9C1E-1D51-4FCA-9F82-6A3B85DFB510@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > We have exchange 2003. We restored our PUB folder database to a recovery > server (separe forest). We ar...

create new users STRANGE problem
Hi, I'm developing a web application (using standard asp and not asp.net) to let certain remote users administer exchange 2003. I have installed win2003 standard edition, exchange 2003 enterprise edition,owa and my web application on the same server. My web app, let users to create mailboxes, delete mailboxes, change user password. All works fine, but for example, if I reboot the server, a web application user can create 50 mailboxes. But when any of these users log on to owa, something goes wrong and the admin user cannot mailbox enable other user accounts through the web app, even if he ...

Folder-Link Icon in Outlook 2003
In the past (Outlook XP and before) I could distinguish between a regular Folder and a Folder-Link (.xnk file). Their icons were different. In Outlook 2003 a Folder-Link icon looks exactly the same as a Folder icon. Is they any way I can influence the look of Folder Link icons ? You can change the xnk-file icon association by going to Control Panel-> Folder Options -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Arie Blonk" <Arie Blonk@discussio...

cannot get BCM to work on Office Enterprise 2007 and Windows 7
I have Windows 7 and Office enterprise 2007 and tried to install BCM 2007 and got it installed then opened Outlook and said it could not setup database. Is BCM 2007 compatible with Enterprise and Windows 7. Is there a work around? ...

new blank doc
I some how corrupted my blank doc. When I go to file and open. I get a blank doc with 3 cloums saying next record. How can I get my blank doc back so that I can do my work? Thank you itropier While this newsgroup is for Microsoft .NET (dotnet) questions, you should locate the hidden system file called "normal.dot" and delete it. -Scott "new blank doc" <newblankdoc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95C60997-1B8B-4831-BB69-A56A9B1CBC8B@microsoft.com... >I some how corrupted my blank doc. When I go to file and open. I get a >...