How do I get entire addresses to show up for incoming mail?

Instead of just showing the sender's name, I want the 'new mail' list to show
the entire email address.  Is there a way to do this?  For example, I want
the 'from' field to show 'bill.smith@hotmail.com' as opposed to just Bill
Smith.  Thanks!
0
whools (1)

Hopefully you don't have too many contacts that you want this to happen with
but you can go into each contact and change the "Display as:" field.  This
field is right under the Email address field.  It will probably show the
persons name.  All you need to do is copy/paste the email address into this
field.  When you highlight and "copy" the email address right above it and
then move your cursor to the "Display as" field and right click, it should
highlight the name, when you click "Paste", it will replace the name with the
email address.  Then when you send that person an email, it will show the
email address rather than their name in the "To:", "C.C." or "B.C.C." line.

Oooops.  After I typed all of that, I realized I misread your post and you
were looking for incoming mail, rather than outgoing mail but the above
information may still be of assistance.  Read on.

To see the email addresses in the "From" field of an email that has the name
showing would require you to open the header information of the email.  With
Outlook, this is done by right clicking on the email file (it does not have
to be opened) and choosing Options.  In the Message Options pop-up, you will
see the email address of the sender.  If this sender is already in your
contacts list, then you may be able to change the view as described above and
the emails will show up from "johndoe@abc.com" rather than John Doe.  You'll
have to experiment with this by changing the Display As in one of your
frequently received emails which you alread have a address book contact
already.
--
Lenny V

"whools" wrote:

> Instead of just showing the sender's name, I want the 'new mail' list to show
> the entire email address.  Is there a way to do this?  For example, I want
> the 'from' field to show 'bill.smith@hotmail.com' as opposed to just Bill
> Smith.  Thanks!
0
lnvpi (5)
10/17/2006 6:51:02 AM
The display of the sender's name is controlled by the sender and is not
configurable by the recipient.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, whools asked:

| Instead of just showing the sender's name, I want the 'new mail' list
| to show the entire email address.  Is there a way to do this?  For
| example, I want the 'from' field to show 'bill.smith@hotmail.com' as
| opposed to just Bill Smith.  Thanks!

0
MillyS (3228)
10/17/2006 9:08:30 AM
that is what I thought, but, I have this email also going to my blackberry
and the blackberry does the conversion from email format to display as
format.  Is this just a blackberry feature that outlook hasn't figure out yet
or is there a way to get outlook to resolve the email back to the contacts
list ???

"Milly Staples - MVP Outlook" wrote:

> The display of the sender's name is controlled by the sender and is not
> configurable by the recipient.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, whools asked:
>
> | Instead of just showing the sender's name, I want the 'new mail' list
> | to show the entire email address.  Is there a way to do this?  For
> | example, I want the 'from' field to show 'bill.smith@hotmail.com' as
> | opposed to just Bill Smith.  Thanks!

0
KenZ (3)
11/7/2009 11:45:01 PM
Every mail client does it differently.  Outlook began its life as the
Exchange client, when internal email was more common than internet mail.
Users didn't need to see email addresses, since most mail was from their own
mail server.

If you want to see a from email address in the message list, see
http://www.slipstick.com/exs/customfields.htm

--

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Ken Z" <KenZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> that is what I thought, but, I have this email also going to my blackberry
> and the blackberry does the conversion from email format to display as
> format.  Is this just a blackberry feature that outlook hasn't figure out
> yet
> or is there a way to get outlook to resolve the email back to the contacts
> list ???
>
> "Milly Staples - MVP Outlook" wrote:
>
>> The display of the sender's name is controlled by the sender and is not
>> configurable by the recipient.
>>
>> --
>> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  All
>> unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
>> reading.
>>
>> After furious head scratching, whools asked:
>>
>> | Instead of just showing the sender's name, I want the 'new mail' list
>> | to show the entire email address.  Is there a way to do this?  For
>> | example, I want the 'from' field to show 'bill.smith@hotmail.com' as
>> | opposed to just Bill Smith.  Thanks!

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Can I show a number like 1,935,674,923 as 1.9B?
I would like to reformat 10- and 11-digit the numbers (e.g. like 1,935,674,923 as 1.9B). Can this be done? Custom format: 0.0,,,"B" best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:262241F3-063E-4F97-B864-A629EC670112@microsoft.com... > I would like to reformat 10- and 11-digit the numbers (e.g. like > 1,935,674,923 as 1.9B). Can this be done? Dave, Use a custom format of #.#,,,"B" or 0.0,,,"B" depending on ho...

Outlook Send/Receive mail SLOW

Setting up a new e-mail account

Replying to an Outlook e-mail

Getting the BCC field by default.

Showing 3:54PM instead of 3:54:03PM

Getting rid of selection

Workplace Queues

Doesn't show busy,when scheduling meeting
Hello I have a user, who has meetings scheduled and shows up in her Calendar fine. But, when she or someone else tries to schedule new meeting, invite her, it doesn't show her busy schedule. It indicates as if she is available all time. Secondly, when she edits the meeting and marks as "Out of Office", than it shows up as busy. Her Out of Office is Off. Outlook 2000 with Exchange corporate setup. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks ...

Get info from Fidelity
I use money's portfolio manager to retrieve info from my Fidelity accounts. However, it only retrieve stock and bond informations. It did not retrieve the money market fund information. How can I make it download money market fund info? In microsoft.public.money, Peter Tso wrote: >I use money's portfolio manager to retrieve info from my >Fidelity accounts. However, it only retrieve stock and >bond informations. It did not retrieve the money market >fund information. How can I make it download money market >fund info? Fidelity does things a differently th...

Duplicate E-Mail #4

Get Xml from web .
This is a link to an address where I would like to access xml. http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?cmd=user_xml&email=XXXX The XXXX is the email address of a user. All I want to do is access the xml and view it in a datagrid. I have read several tuturials and articles and have not been able to find something that would explain how to do this. Does anyone know of a sample code or something close I could use as a reference. I am using visualstudio.net. and visual basic. THX Take a look at using the following classes on your app: HttpWebRequest HttpWebResponse DataSe...

Odd e-mail duplication problem