How Can I turn off Date Autocomplete in Outlook 2007

I don't like the way that when I type in a date like 25th July 2007 in Word
and Outlook 2007 it insists on offering me 2007-07-25 autocomplete if I
press the enter key. I usually create a juornal entry and then hit enter to
move down to a new line so this is a right pain.  Herb Tyson came up with
the following Macro for Word 2007 on his Word 2007 Bible Blog

*To simply turn it off*
Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = False
End Sub

*To toggle it on or off*
Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = Not
(Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips)
End Sub

Unfortunately of course this doesn't work in Outlook
Run-time Error 438
because the object doesn't support this property or method

Can anyone fix this for Outlook or now of another way to sort this out?

Thanks,

Nigel

You'd need to get a Word.Application object for the current message. =
There's no such global setting. My blog post at =
http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C1013F1F9A99E3D8!579.e=
ntry shows how to get a Word.Document object from a message. It would be =
just one more step to get the Document.Application object from that =
Document. Whether Herb's technique would work, though, is something =
you'll have to test to find out.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
    http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=3D54=20

"Nigel Freeney" <nigel.msnewsgroups@freeney.co.uk> wrote in message =
>I don't like the way that when I type in a date like 25th July 2007 in =
Word=20
> and Outlook 2007 it insists on offering me 2007-07-25 autocomplete if =
I=20
> press the enter key. I usually create a juornal entry and then hit =
enter to=20
> move down to a new line so this is a right pain.  Herb Tyson came up =
with=20
> the following Macro for Word 2007 on his Word 2007 Bible Blog
>=20
> *To simply turn it off*
> Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
> Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips =3D False
> End Sub
>=20
> *To toggle it on or off*
> Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
> Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips =3D Not=20
> (Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips)
> End Sub
>=20
> Unfortunately of course this doesn't work in Outlook
> Run-time Error 438
> because the object doesn't support this property or method
>=20
> Can anyone fix this for Outlook or now of another way to sort this =
out?

0
suemvp (4038)
7/25/2007 6:37:22 PM
I just ignore it and keep typing and it goes away - it will not apply the
style it offers if you either keep typing, or if you are done typing, press
space twice.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Nigel Freeney" <nigel.msnewsgroups@freeney.co.uk> wrote in message
>I don't like the way that when I type in a date like 25th July 2007 in Word
>and Outlook 2007 it insists on offering me 2007-07-25 autocomplete if I
>press the enter key. I usually create a juornal entry and then hit enter to
>move down to a new line so this is a right pain.  Herb Tyson came up with
>the following Macro for Word 2007 on his Word 2007 Bible Blog
>
> *To simply turn it off*
> Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
> Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = False
> End Sub
>
> *To toggle it on or off*
> Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
> Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = Not
> (Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips)
> End Sub
>
> Unfortunately of course this doesn't work in Outlook
> Run-time Error 438
> because the object doesn't support this property or method
>
> Can anyone fix this for Outlook or now of another way to sort this out?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nigel

0
outlookmvp (5838)
7/25/2007 6:55:13 PM
Hi Diane,

As I said in the original post this is irritating because it occurs in a
journal entry which is in the format of date carraige return next line. I
get the carraige return by pressing enter which then leads to the autodate
replacing the date format I want.

Thanks,

Nigel

"Diane Poremsky" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>I just ignore it and keep typing and it goes away - it will not apply the
>style it offers if you either keep typing, or if you are done typing, press
>space twice.
>

> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> "Nigel Freeney" <nigel.msnewsgroups@freeney.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I don't like the way that when I type in a date like 25th July 2007 in
>>Word and Outlook 2007 it insists on offering me 2007-07-25 autocomplete if
>>I press the enter key. I usually create a juornal entry and then hit enter
>>to move down to a new line so this is a right pain.  Herb Tyson came up
>>with the following Macro for Word 2007 on his Word 2007 Bible Blog
>>
>> *To simply turn it off*
>> Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
>> Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = False
>> End Sub
>>
>> *To toggle it on or off*
>> Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
>> Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = Not
>> (Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips)
>> End Sub
>>
>> Unfortunately of course this doesn't work in Outlook
>> Run-time Error 438
>> because the object doesn't support this property or method
>>
>> Can anyone fix this for Outlook or now of another way to sort this out?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Nigel

Hi Sue,

I don't have enough experience with VBA to work it out for myself - but
thanks for taking a look.

In my frustration I have discovered a more lateral solution to the problem.

If I press SHIFT+ENTER then the autocomplete is ignored and I can carry on
with the date as I have written it without breaking the work flow. This is a
useable solution.

Of course if anyone can come up with the macro fix or a registry hack I
would be grateful.

Thanks,

Nigel

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
You'd need to get a Word.Application object for the current message. There's
no such global setting. My blog post at
http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C1013F1F9A99E3D8!579.entry
shows how to get a Word.Document object from a message. It would be just one
more step to get the Document.Application object from that Document. Whether
Herb's technique would work, though, is something you'll have to test to
find out.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Nigel Freeney" <nigel.msnewsgroups@freeney.co.uk> wrote in message
>I don't like the way that when I type in a date like 25th July 2007 in Word
> and Outlook 2007 it insists on offering me 2007-07-25 autocomplete if I
> press the enter key. I usually create a juornal entry and then hit enter
> move down to a new line so this is a right pain.  Herb Tyson came up with
> the following Macro for Word 2007 on his Word 2007 Bible Blog
>
> *To simply turn it off*
> Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
> Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = False
> End Sub
>
> *To toggle it on or off*
> Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
> Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = Not
> (Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips)
> End Sub
>
> Unfortunately of course this doesn't work in Outlook
> Run-time Error 438
> because the object doesn't support this property or method
>
> Can anyone fix this for Outlook or now of another way to sort this out?

I usually just ignore by continuing to type.=20

> Hi Sue,
>=20
> I don't have enough experience with VBA to work it out for myself - =
but=20
> thanks for taking a look.
>=20
> In my frustration I have discovered a more lateral solution to the =
problem.
>=20
> If I press SHIFT+ENTER then the autocomplete is ignored and I can =
carry on=20
> with the date as I have written it without breaking the work flow. =
This is a=20
> useable solution.
>=20
> Of course if anyone can come up with the macro fix or a registry hack =
I=20
> would be grateful.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Nigel
>=20
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message=20
> You'd need to get a Word.Application object for the current message. =
There's=20
> no such global setting. My blog post at=20
> =
http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C1013F1F9A99E3D8!579.e=
ntry=20
> shows how to get a Word.Document object from a message. It would be =
just one=20
> more step to get the Document.Application object from that Document. =
Whether=20
> Herb's technique would work, though, is something you'll have to test =
to=20
> find out.
>=20
> --=20
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>   Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming:
>     Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators
>    http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=3D54
>=20
>=20
> "Nigel Freeney" <nigel.msnewsgroups@freeney.co.uk> wrote in message=20
>>I don't like the way that when I type in a date like 25th July 2007 in =
Word
>> and Outlook 2007 it insists on offering me 2007-07-25 autocomplete if =
>> press the enter key. I usually create a juornal entry and then hit =
enter=20
>> move down to a new line so this is a right pain.  Herb Tyson came up =
with
>> the following Macro for Word 2007 on his Word 2007 Bible Blog
>>
>> *To simply turn it off*
>> Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
>> Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips =3D False
>> End Sub
>>
>> *To toggle it on or off*
>> Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
>> Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips =3D Not
>> (Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips)
>> End Sub
>>
>> Unfortunately of course this doesn't work in Outlook
>> Run-time Error 438
>> because the object doesn't support this property or method
>>
>> Can anyone fix this for Outlook or now of another way to sort this =
out?

0
suemvp (4038)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

How do I turn a jpg image I have into a visio background?
I have a jpg image I downloaded for the net. I want to turn it into a background for a diagram I am creating. I also would like to make it transparent. I have looked on the help and can't find my answer. Please help. the simplist way is to drop it on a background page and then attach the background to your foreground images. al "doming07" <doming07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E476FD31-FFC3-45C5-8987-EBE2FB98C714@microsoft.com... >I have a jpg image I downloaded for the net. I want to turn it into a > background for a diagram I am creating. I...

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

CRM and Outlook Integration 07-22-03

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

Date/Day
Hi, How do I make Excell tell me the day that the Date corresponds to. Example: If I have 8/7/03 in a column, I want to be able to enter a formula in the next column such that Excell would tell me it is Thursday Thx Omer Omer, Look at the WEEKDAY function. From Help Syntax WEEKDAY(serial_number,return_type) Serial_number is a sequential number that represents the date of the day you are trying to find. Dates may be entered as text strings within quotation marks (for example, "1/30/1998" or "1998/01/30"), as serial numbers (for example, 35825, which represents...