how can i set up my hotmail ID to work on Outlook?

0
Vithish (1)

Vithish <Vithish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

google "outlook connector"
"Vithish" wrote in message

<blank body = blank post = blank mind>
Read:
http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Microsoft discontinued WebDAV access for free account back in November
2004.  WebDAV is the scripting language used to communicate to their
HTTP mail host.  Only Outlook and Outlook Express had WebDAV scripting
supported (and knew the command set expected by Microsoft's HTTP mail
host).  There were some other 3rd programs that allowed WebDAV access
to Hotmail accounts to provide access in non-Microsoft e-mail clients.
When WebDAV access for free Hotmail accounts was discontinued, Outlook
[Express] and these 3rd party programs or services also lost access.
There are some e-mail clients, add-ons, or programs that use screen
scraping to access free Hotmail accounts.  Paid Hotmail accounts
permit WebDAV access.  You never bothered to mention if you have a
free or paid Hotmail account.

For a free Hotmail account, you could try installing the Outlook
Connector plug-in (get it from Microsoft's download site).  It only
works for Outlook 2003/2007.  You also never bothered to mention WHICH
version of Outlook that you use.  Sometimes the Connector plug-in
works, sometimes not.

0
V4521 (722)
2/15/2008 9:37:09 AM
the connector works as long as you migrated the acct to Live.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

> "Vithish" wrote in message
>>

> <blank body = blank post = blank mind>
> Read:
> http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html
>
> Microsoft discontinued WebDAV access for free account back in November
> 2004.  WebDAV is the scripting language used to communicate to their HTTP
> mail host.  Only Outlook and Outlook Express had WebDAV scripting
> supported (and knew the command set expected by Microsoft's HTTP mail
> host).  There were some other 3rd programs that allowed WebDAV access to
> Hotmail accounts to provide access in non-Microsoft e-mail clients. When
> WebDAV access for free Hotmail accounts was discontinued, Outlook
> [Express] and these 3rd party programs or services also lost access. There
> are some e-mail clients, add-ons, or programs that use screen scraping to
> access free Hotmail accounts.  Paid Hotmail accounts permit WebDAV access.
> You never bothered to mention if you have a free or paid Hotmail account.
>
> For a free Hotmail account, you could try installing the Outlook Connector
> plug-in (get it from Microsoft's download site).  It only works for
> Outlook 2003/2007.  You also never bothered to mention WHICH version of
> Outlook that you use.  Sometimes the Connector plug-in works, sometimes
> not.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
2/15/2008 3:00:30 PM
"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message

> "VanguardLH" wrote ...
>>
>> For a free Hotmail account, you could try installing the Outlook
>> Connector plug-in (get it from Microsoft's download site).  It only
>> works for Outlook 2003/2007.  You also never bothered to mention
>> WHICH version of Outlook that you use.  Sometimes the Connector
>> plug-in works, sometimes not.
>

> the connector works as long as you migrated the acct to Live.

Does it matter if the Classic or Full interface is selected for the
Hotmail Live account?  I tried both interface styles and the Connector
plug-in wouldn't work with my free Hotmail account (which used to be a
legacy account but lost its WebDAV access when I switched to a Live
version of that free Hotmail account).  Unfortunately, I still have
OL2002 and the Connector plug-in says it doesn't support that version
so my test of the plug-in was flawed.

0
V4521 (722)
2/16/2008 2:07:13 AM
"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>> the connector works as long as you migrated the acct to Live.
>
>Does it matter if the Classic or Full interface is selected for the
>Hotmail Live account?

The question is moot since you aren't using a version that Connector
supports.
"Uncle Grumpy" wrote in message

> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>>> the connector works as long as you migrated the acct to Live.
>>
>> Does it matter if the Classic or Full interface is selected for the
>> Hotmail Live account?
>
> The question is moot since you aren't using a version that Connector
> supports.

But if a user (not me) asks if Connector will work to connect okay
with Hotmail for both the Classic and Full interfaces to a Live
account and they are using OL2003 or OL2007, I'd like to know how to
respond to them.

So far, to access a freebie Hotmail account using Outlook:
- Install and use the Outlook Connector plug-in. Make sure to download
the latest version (older versions had problems).
- You must be using Outlook 2003 or 2007 with the plug-in.  The
plug-in's install does not verify a compatible version of Outlook.
- Hotmail must not be the MSN Classic account but have been migrated
to a Hotmail Live account.
- Doesn't matter if the Classic or Full interface is selected in the
Hotmail Live account.

The 3rd point is Diane's proclamation.  It's the last point that I'd
like to verify.  I ask because there are other 3rd party programs that
try to access a Hotmail Live account but only work with the Classic
interface.  As I recall, the WebMail add-on (with the Hotmail add-on)
in Thunderbird wouldn't work with the Full interface so users had to
switch to the Classic interface in their Hotmail Live account.  A
similar problem might be present in the Outlook Connector plug-in.

I don't have to be using a product to want information on it.

0
V4521 (722)
2/16/2008 10:16:38 AM
"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>But if a user (not me) asks if Connector will work to connect okay
>with Hotmail for both the Classic and Full interfaces to a Live
>account and they are using OL2003 or OL2007, I'd like to know how to
>respond to them.

It will work IF their hotmail account is a HOTMAIL LIVE account.

Has it ever occurred to you to check the official site?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA102225181033.aspx

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

cannot open hyper links in outlook

Change position ID in HR

outlook 97 and express email problems

Setting a dynamic range in a formula

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...

outlook 2007 e-mail

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

Terminal Server and GP Settings
Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a question for somebody who is. When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under their user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the settings for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this thinking correct? -- Charles Allen, MVP I think you also have to make certain that the dex.ini does NOT exist in the program install location for GP or it will still look to that. Dwight...