How can I see which lists a contact is a member of?

Hello,

In Outlook 2007, is there a way to see which distribution lists a
contact is a member of? We have lots of lists. We want to be sure that
if we delete a contact in a group, instead of just removing it from
the group, that the contact doesn't exist in other groups as well.

Even a way to export to Excel would be ok, if there's nothing else.

Thanks,

- Alan.
0
bruguy (167)

The following macro in Outlook will list all the distribution lists
containing the name you enter into the dialog box in a Word document

Sub ListNames()
Dim wdApp As Word.Application
Dim wdDoc As Word.Document
Dim myNameSpace As Outlook.NameSpace
Dim myFolder As Outlook.Folder
Dim myDistList As Outlook.DistListItem
Dim myFolderItems As Outlook.Items
Dim myListMember As String
Dim sList As String
Dim x As Integer
Dim y As Integer
Dim iCount As Integer

myListMember = InputBox("Enter name of list member to be found", _
"Find name in Distribution Lists")
Set myNameSpace = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set myFolder = myNameSpace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts)
Set myFolderItems = myFolder.Items
iCount = myFolderItems.Count
sList = ""
For x = 1 To iCount
    If TypeName(myFolderItems.Item(x)) = "DistListItem" Then
        Set myDistList = myFolderItems.Item(x)
        For y = 1 To myDistList.MemberCount
            If InStr(1, myDistList.GetMember(y).Name, myListMember) Then
                'MsgBox myDistList.GetMember(y).Name & _
                " is a member of " & myDistList.DLName, _
                vbInformation, "Distribution List"
                If sList = "" Then
                    sList = sList & myDistList.GetMember(y).Name _
                    & vbTab & myDistList.DLName
                Else
                    sList = sList & vbCr & myDistList.GetMember(y).Name _
                    & vbTab & myDistList.DLName
                End If
            End If
        Next y
    End If
Next x
On Error Resume Next
Set wdApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
If Err Then
    Set wdApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
End If
Set wdDoc = wdApp.Documents.Add
wdApp.Visible = True
wdApp.Activate
With wdDoc.Range
    .InsertAfter sList
    .ParagraphFormat.TabStops.ClearAll
    .ParagraphFormat.TabStops.Add Position:=InchesToPoints(4), _
        Alignment:=wdAlignTabLeft, Leader:=wdTabLeaderSpaces
End With
Set wdDoc = Nothing
Set wdApp = Nothing
End Sub

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Alan" <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> In Outlook 2007, is there a way to see which distribution lists a
> contact is a member of? We have lots of lists. We want to be sure that
> if we delete a contact in a group, instead of just removing it from
> the group, that the contact doesn't exist in other groups as well.
>
> Even a way to export to Excel would be ok, if there's nothing else.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Alan.

0
gmayor (48)
8/1/2010 2:07:15 PM
Wow! Thanks very much Grahal, I'll give it a try.

On Aug 1, 4:07=A0pm, "Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote:
> [...]
> Dim iCount As Integer
>
> myListMember =3D InputBox("Enter name of list member to be found", _
> "Find name in Distribution Lists")
> Set myNameSpace =3D Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
> Set myFolder =3D myNameSpace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts)
> Set myFolderItems =3D myFolder.Items
> iCount =3D myFolderItems.Count
> sList =3D ""
> For x =3D 1 To iCount
> =A0 =A0 If TypeName(myFolderItems.Item(x)) =3D "DistListItem" Then
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Set myDistList =3D myFolderItems.Item(x)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 For y =3D 1 To myDistList.MemberCount
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 If InStr(1, myDistList.GetMember(y).Name, myListM=
ember) Then
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 'MsgBox myDistList.GetMember(y).Name & _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 " is a member of " & myDistList.DLName, _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 vbInformation, "Distribution List"
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 If sList =3D "" Then
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 sList =3D sList & myDistList.GetM=
ember(y).Name _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 & vbTab & myDistList.DLName
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Else
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 sList =3D sList & vbCr & myDistLi=
st.GetMember(y).Name _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 & vbTab & myDistList.DLName
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 End If
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 End If
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Next y
> =A0 =A0 End If
> Next x
> On Error Resume Next
> Set wdApp =3D GetObject(, "Word.Application")
> If Err Then
> =A0 =A0 Set wdApp =3D CreateObject("Word.Application")
> End If
> Set wdDoc =3D wdApp.Documents.Add
> wdApp.Visible =3D True
> wdApp.Activate
> With wdDoc.Range
> =A0 =A0 .InsertAfter sList
> =A0 =A0 .ParagraphFormat.TabStops.ClearAll
> =A0 =A0 .ParagraphFormat.TabStops.Add Position:=3DInchesToPoints(4), _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Alignment:=3DwdAlignTabLeft, Leader:=3DwdTabLeaderSpaces
> End With
> Set wdDoc =3D Nothing
> Set wdApp =3D Nothing
> End Sub
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor - =A0Word MVP
>
> My web sitewww.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>
> "Alan" <bru...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > In Outlook 2007, is there a way to see which distribution lists a
> > contact is a member of? We have lots of lists. We want to be sure that
> > if we delete a contact in a group, instead of just removing it from
> > the group, that the contact doesn't exist in other groups as well.
>
> > Even a way to export to Excel would be ok, if there's nothing else.

0
bruguy (167)
8/2/2010 1:50:29 PM
On 01/08/2010 12:43, Alan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Outlook 2007, is there a way to see which distribution lists a
> contact is a member of? We have lots of lists.

Then you might like to look at Categories instead. You assign Categories
to a Contact, rather than adding a Contact to a D/L....much easier to
administer, without having to use macros. If you delete a contact then
that contact is automatically removed from the Categories you assigned
to it...

How can I open files from a prev. version of Publisher in Pub 2000
Is there a way to open files from an earlier version of Publisher in Publisher 2000? I have a file that I cannot access, that I believe was created in Publisher 97 or 98, that I need to access, but I get an error message that says it cannot be opened. ...

contact address and/or billing address
Hello Most of our customers have the same Contact and Billing addresses - but some don't. I have set up fields for both in separate tables (Contacts and Billing) and entries on a form for both. How would I set up the form so that our receptionist can fill in a Contact address which will automatically fill in the information for the Billing address if they are the same? I have created a Billing Query/ Report using the Billing addresses which works well - I just need to work out how to duplicate the Contact address where necessary so that she can create her invoices. M...

Format a combobox list as a heirarchy...?
I have a table that has a primary key and a parentKey column. I'm using it as a Combo Box in the Lookup of a field in another Table. Right now, the dropdown list is formatted normally, like this: Program1 | Process1 Program1 | Process2 Program1 | Process3 Program2 | Process1 Program2 | Process2 Is there an easy way to make it look like this: Program1 | Process1 - | Process2 - | Process3 Program2 | Process1 - | Process2 -- Brian Brian ?"in a table"? Are you saying that you are using a lookup field data type in a table? You posted in ...

Can't Trasfer Outlook Express Files to New PC
Hi, I have an old PC running Outlook Express 6.0 and Windows98. I want to move all e-mails to new PC running XP Home Ed. I successfuly on old PC used export to create a PST file called outlook.pstand moved it to a folder on new PC, I try to use import to read this file but it does not recognize it. Please help. Doc Hi, Try to use our program to backup and restore your data in Outlook Express. There won't be problems with creation PST files when move to another PC. See: http://www.abf-soft.com/oeb.html -- Best regards. ==================== Natalia Guskova, ABF software, Inc. m...

Help with Rules: can't select Public Folders.
Does anyone know why it's sometimes possible, but not always, to use a rule to move or copy a message to a public folder? I don't seem to be able to select the public folder; I can select it, but it doesn't stick. The inconsistency is a bit weird. I can't even make a, 'from scratch' exact copy of a currently working rule that moves a message to a public folder. Weird! -- Dab Cut off: yourhead to respond do you have full permission on the folder? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for W...

How do I syncronize my outlook contacts on two pc's?
I am using outlook XP on a P to P home network using windows 2000 pro on two computers. Is there a way of linking the contacts/address books so that if I up-date one the other is automatically up-dated too? Since you are on a peer to peer network there is not Exchange server so sharing mailbox and giving permission to share data is not available. Also your Outlook information is strored in personal folder (.pst file) on the local system. If the pst had been stored in central location on a server we could add that pst to the other system. I have not tried this but you may be able s...

Can't send attachments #11
Ever since I upgraded to WinXP(home) I can no longer send attachments of any size. SP2 installed. I'm using Outlook 2000. I keep getting "a timeout occured while communicating with server (error number 0X800ccc19). I am not on a network and have turned off my virus scan. I can send plain email fine. Any ideas appreciated. ...

I accidentally deleted a contact list
Right when I did it, a brief msg flashed that said something about where it went - junk folder ? I don't recall. I am using MS Office Professional 2007 and find the Contacts and Distribution Lists very confusing! I meant to delete a distribution list and ended up deleting a contacts list. It's in the Deleted items folder - search for it there if you can't find it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-reque...

preventing distribution lists from getting outside emails
We have an Exchange 5.5 server an have recently started receiving computer worm/virus emails to our companywide (everyone@mycompany.com) email address, thus everyone recieves the email. Is there any way to block this particular email address from receiving emails from the outside (internet)? Why not just remove the SMTP address? On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:43:16 -0700, "Jason Gallas" <jgallas@hotmail.com> wrote: >We have an Exchange 5.5 server an have recently started receiving computer >worm/virus emails to our companywide (everyone@mycompany.com) email address, >t...

How can I view two pages at once on Publisher?
I am trying to create a lab/classroom set up using Publisher but I can't figure out how to view both pages at once. I selected view two page spread but it still only shows me one at a time. Can someone help, please? If you go to view on the menu bar, clik on two page spread. It will then be ticked. Good luck! "jesi in san marcos" wrote: > I am trying to create a lab/classroom set up using Publisher but I can't > figure out how to view both pages at once. I selected view two page spread > but it still only shows me one at a time. Can someone help, please...

Contacts/Address Book can't be opened
Hi. When creating a New Mail message, if I hit the icon alongside the "To..." field, the following message is displayed and I don't get the Addressbook list window: The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. .... Is this normal, and if not, how can I get it to display my contacts list ? Thanks in advance, Steve On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:43:24 +0900, "Steve" <news_svaardt@NOSPAM_hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi. > >...

Can't import .pst after machine rebuild
After rebuilding my machine and reinstalling my apps, I'm being prompted that I can't import my .pst because the service hasn't been configured. The problem is that I'm not seeing how to configure the service. I'm running Outlook 2k, Internet only. How do I import my .pst? Thanks. Have you tried simply opening the .PST via File | Open | Personal Folders File, rather than trying to import it? Re-using the same .PST tends to work better than importing anyway... -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- p...

Unlocking an Access Database so multiple users can access it.
We have an access database that is set to record level locking - but only one person at a time can access it. We need multiple user access at the same time. How do we set this up? We are running Office Professional 2003, and Office Professional 2007, and the database is set to run as 2000. Help?? -- Jay Have you split your db? If not, that is the first thing you must do. Spit your db into a front-end and back-end (Tools -> Database Utilities -> Database Splitter). Then set your back-end on a central server (or a network connect everyone has access to) and give ea...

How can I register Office v.X?
I failed to register when I installed and now cannot find the setup assistant. In article <f01e2995.0403061937.568a5cf@posting.google.com>, lorfal@earthlink.net (Lora) wrote: > I failed to register when I installed and now cannot find the setup assistant. Check out the <application menu>/On-line registration menu item in any Office v.X app. On 3/6/04 8:56 PM, in article jemcgimpsey-72FB7E.21561206032004@msnews.microsoft.com, "JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote: > In article <f01e2995.0403061937.568a5cf@posting.google.com>, > lorfal@eart...

Can't access CRM
I have installed CRM 1.2 pro on my SBS2003 box. I am confused about the instruction to give the CRM website the same IP address as the server as when I do that all the default web sites stop working and I can no longer use TSWEB to access the server. What is the way round this and what URL should I use. Also, I have not yet installed the exchange connector as I was concerned in case I do something irreversible to our exchange server, especially as CRM is not working. Is the connector safe and uninstallable? You need to look at using host headers. Have you read the updated Microsoft CRM I...

Making long alphanumeric list
Sorry guys this is a newbie question I know... But how do you make a long alphanumeric list in excel automatically without having to type all the figures etc... eg Lan01 Lan02 ... .... Lan101 etc. Thanks:) -- Medtner ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Medtner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29547 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492512 Just enter Lan01 in the first cell,, then move the cursor to the bottom-right corner of the cell until it changes to a black cros...

Can I mirror the Dynamics GP databases?
I'm in the process of planning the upgrade to v10.0 and was wondering if I can use SQL Server 2005 mirroring. Mirroring Yes, replication no And make plans to visit Convergence in Orlando. Accolade Publications will be in booth 834. We are throwing a party Wednesday evening on an ocean going cruise ship. Visit our web site for details http://www.AccoladePublications.com -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "John Piotrowski&q...

Can't move or delete Word file in Win Explorer: file in use
I have Win XP Pro SP3. When using Win Explorer, I sometimes cannot move or delete a file. I get the message that the file is being used by another person or program. Here's how to reproduce the problem: - Open a file in Word. - Make a change. Save and close the file. - Try to move or delete the file in Win Explorer. Sometimes I can release the file simply by closing Word. At other times, I need to reboot. Any advice? You will not be able to move or delete a Word document until its lock file has been released. All lock files should be released when Word is closed (o...

Summary of Duplicate Account, Contact and Leads
I have read many posts about this topic...and these are my observations: 1. You can control duplicate creation on records using the onSave JScripts, this work when you create new accounts, contacts 2. You can control duplicate imports using ISV solutions like C360, which evalute duplicates for Accounts, Contacts, Leads 3. However, I am not sure if the above mentioned solutions validate duplicates during the conversion process of a lead into an account/contact...does it? Regards ...

list spacing
I am using ON 2010 beta. Do you have any idea how I can change the space size between the list items? For example, I have a list as follows: 1. car 2. pencil 3. table I would like ON to give automatically a line line space between the list items, but it does not. How to do that? ...

Quick Campaign lists
Hi, Is there a way to add names inot the quick campaign list and have it not go inot the leads, and also is there a way to bulk transfer the owner for the whole list? Thanks Please clarify "Jasmine" <Jasmine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4059AAF-254A-4D4E-A392-0DDE3E13F1AC@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Is there a way to add names inot the quick campaign list and have it not > go > inot the leads, and also is there a way to bulk transfer the owner for the > whole list? > Thanks ...

Can't send any emails?
I have 12 accounts in OE6. one acct. is from windows live the others are from other servers. I get the following error on all of them (server name different). Inbound is fine. I go to the web based accounts and all is fine. I disabled firewall same error. Any suggestions? The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Thanks Tony "Tony M" <wHATeVER@msn.com> wrote in message news:OQmsYEi8KHA.4604@TK2...

Trying to see if...
this group is active sorry Very. Is there a problem? <info@haverstock.com> wrote in message news:44665c25$1@news.scardovi.com... > this group is active > > sorry > ...

Dropdown List Help
Does anyone know how I can make the dropdown button on a list stay visible whether the cell is active or not. Thanks for the help, Steve You can't if you use data > validation, you would need a combo box from either the forms or control toolbox tollbars Regards, Peo Sjoblom "smonczka@hotmail.com" wrote: > Does anyone know how I can make the dropdown button on a list stay > visible whether the cell is active or not. > > Thanks for the help, > > Steve > > Steve Same answer as yesterday when you posted the identical question. Steve No. T...

how to update member value correct
Hello! I'm reading a book called programming Visual C++. The book says "Finally, you need to update the trackbar's m_nTrackbar1 data member when the user clicks OK. Your natural instinct would be to put this code in the OnOk button handler. You would have a problem, however, if a data exchange validation error occurred involving any other control in the dialog. Your handler would set m_nTrackbar1 even though the user might choose to cancel the dialog. To avoid this problem, add your code in the DoDataExchange function as shown below." if (pDX->m_bSaveAndValidate...