Hi, I'm using Word as my e-mail editor in Outlook 2003 and want to change
the default Style for e-mails from 'Normal' to 'Normal (Web)'.

The problem is that new e-mails and replies in HTML format use the 'Normal'
Microsoft Word 'Style', and this has no gap after paragraphs.  The upshot of
this is that when sending an e-mail, I have to press return twice to create
a gap, but when the recipient views this, their software shows it as four
gaps (the extra carriage return I typed + their correctly viewed HTML
carriage return after each line).

E.g. I type this:

    Dear Mr Gates

    Why is it always so difficult?

    Kind regards

And they see this:

    Dear Mr Gates

    Why is it always so difficult?

    Kind regards

The simplest solution is if I change the style of the e-mail to 'Normal
(Web)' before typing each message, but this is obviously a lot of trouble
and we really need it to happen automatically.

Adjusting the Paragraph settings in Word itself has no impact on the default
settings for e-mails.

There is a New E-mail Message template in Word's New Document template list,
but I can't seem to edit this as it is an Outlook template.  If I edit it in
Outlook, it doesn't offer the 'Normal (Web)' Style, and if I edit it in
Word, I can't save it back as the required Outlook template format!

I have also tried adjusting the Stationary to include the paragraph breaks
correctly, and this works fine for new HTML messages, but for replies it
doesn't use my Stationary, so the problem recurs.  Help!
--
Thanks in advance!

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

0
usenet4553 (11)

Have you tried using SHIFT+ENTER for the line breaks instead of just ENTER?

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:e8XAOo87DHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
CJSnet wrote:

> Hi, I'm using Word as my e-mail editor in Outlook 2003 and want to
> change the default Style for e-mails from 'Normal' to 'Normal (Web)'.
>
> The problem is that new e-mails and replies in HTML format use the
> 'Normal' Microsoft Word 'Style', and this has no gap after
> paragraphs.  The upshot of this is that when sending an e-mail, I
> have to press return twice to create a gap, but when the recipient
> views this, their software shows it as four gaps (the extra carriage
> return I typed + their correctly viewed HTML carriage return after
> each line).
>
> E.g. I type this:
>
>     Dear Mr Gates
>
>     Why is it always so difficult?
>
>     Kind regards
>
> And they see this:
>
>     Dear Mr Gates
>

>     Why is it always so difficult?
>

>     Kind regards
>
> The simplest solution is if I change the style of the e-mail to
> 'Normal (Web)' before typing each message, but this is obviously a
> lot of trouble and we really need it to happen automatically.
>
> Adjusting the Paragraph settings in Word itself has no impact on the
> default settings for e-mails.
>
> There is a New E-mail Message template in Word's New Document
> template list, but I can't seem to edit this as it is an Outlook
> template.  If I edit it in Outlook, it doesn't offer the 'Normal
> (Web)' Style, and if I edit it in Word, I can't save it back as the
> required Outlook template format!
>
> I have also tried adjusting the Stationary to include the paragraph
> breaks correctly, and this works fine for new HTML messages, but for
> replies it doesn't use my Stationary, so the problem recurs.  Help!

I don't think you read my message properly!  Shift+Enter would do the
opposite of what I need, plus it's not automatic.

My question was "How can I change 'Normal' Style for Word e-mails to 'Normal
(Web)'?"
--

"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:umrp7QF8DHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Have you tried using SHIFT+ENTER for the line breaks instead of just
ENTER?

> --
> Jocelyn Fiorello
> MVP - Outlook
>
> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
> reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>

> In news:e8XAOo87DHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> CJSnet wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm using Word as my e-mail editor in Outlook 2003 and want to
> > change the default Style for e-mails from 'Normal' to 'Normal (Web)'.
> >
> > The problem is that new e-mails and replies in HTML format use the
> > 'Normal' Microsoft Word 'Style', and this has no gap after
> > paragraphs.  The upshot of this is that when sending an e-mail, I
> > have to press return twice to create a gap, but when the recipient
> > views this, their software shows it as four gaps (the extra carriage
> > return I typed + their correctly viewed HTML carriage return after
> > each line).
> >
> > E.g. I type this:
> >
> >     Dear Mr Gates
> >
> >     Why is it always so difficult?
> >
> >     Kind regards
> >
> > And they see this:
> >
> >     Dear Mr Gates
> >

> >     Why is it always so difficult?
> >

> >     Kind regards
> >
> > The simplest solution is if I change the style of the e-mail to
> > 'Normal (Web)' before typing each message, but this is obviously a
> > lot of trouble and we really need it to happen automatically.
> >
> > Adjusting the Paragraph settings in Word itself has no impact on the
> > default settings for e-mails.
> >
> > There is a New E-mail Message template in Word's New Document
> > template list, but I can't seem to edit this as it is an Outlook
> > template.  If I edit it in Outlook, it doesn't offer the 'Normal
> > (Web)' Style, and if I edit it in Word, I can't save it back as the
> > required Outlook template format!
> >
> > I have also tried adjusting the Stationary to include the paragraph
> > breaks correctly, and this works fine for new HTML messages, but for
> > replies it doesn't use my Stationary, so the problem recurs.  Help!

0
usenet4553 (11)
2/11/2004 10:42:10 AM
I realize I didn't answer your bottom-line question, but you were concerned
that your line breaks were doubling on the recipient's end.  If you are
adding a manual line break, the only way that it won't turn into two line
breaks on the other end is to use SHIFT+ENTER for the break rather than
ENTER.

Have you tried editing and saving the Normal.dot template in Word so that it
uses the styles you want?  AFAIK, WordMail in Outlook 2002 or later uses
Normal.dot -- older versions of WordMail used a separate Word template
(Email.dot).

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:OG9o5uI8DHA.2640@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
CJSnet wrote:

> I don't think you read my message properly!  Shift+Enter would do the
> opposite of what I need, plus it's not automatic.
>
> My question was "How can I change 'Normal' Style for Word e-mails to
> 'Normal (Web)'?"
>
> "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:umrp7QF8DHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Have you tried using SHIFT+ENTER for the line breaks instead of just
>> ENTER?
>>
>> --
>> Jocelyn Fiorello
>> MVP - Outlook
>>
>> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
>> reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>>

>> In news:e8XAOo87DHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> CJSnet wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm using Word as my e-mail editor in Outlook 2003 and want to
>>> change the default Style for e-mails from 'Normal' to 'Normal
>>> (Web)'.
>>>
>>> The problem is that new e-mails and replies in HTML format use the
>>> 'Normal' Microsoft Word 'Style', and this has no gap after
>>> paragraphs.  The upshot of this is that when sending an e-mail, I
>>> have to press return twice to create a gap, but when the recipient
>>> views this, their software shows it as four gaps (the extra carriage
>>> return I typed + their correctly viewed HTML carriage return after
>>> each line).
>>>
>>> E.g. I type this:
>>>
>>>     Dear Mr Gates
>>>
>>>     Why is it always so difficult?
>>>
>>>     Kind regards
>>>
>>> And they see this:
>>>
>>>     Dear Mr Gates
>>>

>>>     Why is it always so difficult?
>>>

>>>     Kind regards
>>>
>>> The simplest solution is if I change the style of the e-mail to
>>> 'Normal (Web)' before typing each message, but this is obviously a
>>> lot of trouble and we really need it to happen automatically.
>>>
>>> Adjusting the Paragraph settings in Word itself has no impact on the
>>> default settings for e-mails.
>>>
>>> There is a New E-mail Message template in Word's New Document
>>> template list, but I can't seem to edit this as it is an Outlook
>>> template.  If I edit it in Outlook, it doesn't offer the 'Normal
>>> (Web)' Style, and if I edit it in Word, I can't save it back as the
>>> required Outlook template format!
>>>
>>> I have also tried adjusting the Stationary to include the paragraph
>>> breaks correctly, and this works fine for new HTML messages, but for
>>> replies it doesn't use my Stationary, so the problem recurs.  Help!

Okay, thanks for clarifying Jocelyn, that's a great help :)  I think we may
be getting somewhere too...

Editing Normal.dot itself didn't help, so I can confirm Wordmail doesn't
seem to use that file, BUT going into word and choosing to Modify the
'Normal' Style did... sort of.  Now all new e-mails follow whatever style I
use for the Normal style, so I chose there a 12pt gap after paragraphs.  So
you're sort of right - Wordmail e-mails actually use the Normal style, not
Normal.dot.

However, still when I reply to someone else's HTML e-mail, it doesn't use
the Normal style, I get a 0pt gap instead of a 12pt gap, and therefore when
I make the e-mail look correct on my screen, when they receive it, it has
twice as many gaps, as I illustrated previously.

So, my question has now changed to:
"How can I change 'Normal' Style for Wordmail *replies*?"
--

message news:%23xhUE5P8DHA.1112@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I realize I didn't answer your bottom-line question, but you were
concerned
> that your line breaks were doubling on the recipient's end.  If you are
> adding a manual line break, the only way that it won't turn into two line
> breaks on the other end is to use SHIFT+ENTER for the break rather than
> ENTER.
>
> Have you tried editing and saving the Normal.dot template in Word so that
it
> uses the styles you want?  AFAIK, WordMail in Outlook 2002 or later uses
> Normal.dot -- older versions of WordMail used a separate Word template
> (Email.dot).
>
> --
> Jocelyn Fiorello
> MVP - Outlook
>
> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
> reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>

> In news:OG9o5uI8DHA.2640@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> CJSnet wrote:
>
> > I don't think you read my message properly!  Shift+Enter would do the
> > opposite of what I need, plus it's not automatic.
> >
> > My question was "How can I change 'Normal' Style for Word e-mails to
> > 'Normal (Web)'?"
> >
> > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> > message news:umrp7QF8DHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >> Have you tried using SHIFT+ENTER for the line breaks instead of just
> >> ENTER?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jocelyn Fiorello
> >> MVP - Outlook
> >>
> >> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
> >> reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***

0
usenet4553 (11)
2/12/2004 1:38:57 AM
Unfortunately, I've reached the end of my "expertise" on this one  ;-)
Hopefully someone else will pick up the thread.  Good luck.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:%23U$$BkQ8DHA.712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
CJSnet wrote:

> Okay, thanks for clarifying Jocelyn, that's a great help :)  I think
> we may be getting somewhere too...
>
> Editing Normal.dot itself didn't help, so I can confirm Wordmail
> doesn't seem to use that file, BUT going into word and choosing to
> Modify the 'Normal' Style did... sort of.  Now all new e-mails follow
> whatever style I use for the Normal style, so I chose there a 12pt
> gap after paragraphs.  So you're sort of right - Wordmail e-mails
> actually use the Normal style, not Normal.dot.
>
> However, still when I reply to someone else's HTML e-mail, it doesn't
> use the Normal style, I get a 0pt gap instead of a 12pt gap, and
> therefore when I make the e-mail look correct on my screen, when they
> receive it, it has twice as many gaps, as I illustrated previously.
>
> So, my question has now changed to:
> "How can I change 'Normal' Style for Wordmail *replies*?"
>
> "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:%23xhUE5P8DHA.1112@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> I realize I didn't answer your bottom-line question, but you were
>> concerned that your line breaks were doubling on the recipient's
>> end.  If you are adding a manual line break, the only way that it
>> won't turn into two line breaks on the other end is to use
>> SHIFT+ENTER for the break rather than ENTER.
>>
>> Have you tried editing and saving the Normal.dot template in Word so
>> that it uses the styles you want?  AFAIK, WordMail in Outlook 2002
>> or later uses Normal.dot -- older versions of WordMail used a
>> separate Word template (Email.dot).
>>
>> --
>> Jocelyn Fiorello
>> MVP - Outlook
>>
>> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
>> reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>>

>> In news:OG9o5uI8DHA.2640@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> CJSnet wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think you read my message properly!  Shift+Enter would do
>>> the opposite of what I need, plus it's not automatic.
>>>
>>> My question was "How can I change 'Normal' Style for Word e-mails to
>>> 'Normal (Web)'?"
>>>
>>> "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote
>>> in message news:umrp7QF8DHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

I believe that the normal.dot template is being used.  It is almost
certainly the normal style in the normal.dot template that you have
modified.

I think that you will find that in a reply, the formatting that is being
applied is based on that used by the originator.  Reply to a message that
you send to yourself and see what happens.

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested.  Unsolicited questions forwarded
"CJSnet" <usenet@the-simpsonTEETH.tv> wrote in message
> Okay, thanks for clarifying Jocelyn, that's a great help :)  I think we
> may
> be getting somewhere too...
>
> Editing Normal.dot itself didn't help, so I can confirm Wordmail doesn't
> seem to use that file, BUT going into word and choosing to Modify the
> 'Normal' Style did... sort of.  Now all new e-mails follow whatever style
> use for the Normal style, so I chose there a 12pt gap after paragraphs.
> So
> you're sort of right - Wordmail e-mails actually use the Normal style, not
> Normal.dot.
>
> However, still when I reply to someone else's HTML e-mail, it doesn't use
> the Normal style, I get a 0pt gap instead of a 12pt gap, and therefore
> when
> I make the e-mail look correct on my screen, when they receive it, it has
> twice as many gaps, as I illustrated previously.
>
> So, my question has now changed to:
> "How can I change 'Normal' Style for Wordmail *replies*?"
> --
> Thanks in advance!
>
> CJSnet
>
> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)
>

> "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:%23xhUE5P8DHA.1112@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> I realize I didn't answer your bottom-line question, but you were
> concerned
>> that your line breaks were doubling on the recipient's end.  If you are
>> adding a manual line break, the only way that it won't turn into two line
>> breaks on the other end is to use SHIFT+ENTER for the break rather than
>> ENTER.
>>
>> Have you tried editing and saving the Normal.dot template in Word so that
> it
>> uses the styles you want?  AFAIK, WordMail in Outlook 2002 or later uses
>> Normal.dot -- older versions of WordMail used a separate Word template
>> (Email.dot).
>>
>> --
>> Jocelyn Fiorello
>> MVP - Outlook
>>
>> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
>> reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>>

>> In news:OG9o5uI8DHA.2640@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> CJSnet wrote:
>>
>> > I don't think you read my message properly!  Shift+Enter would do the
>> > opposite of what I need, plus it's not automatic.
>> >
>> > My question was "How can I change 'Normal' Style for Word e-mails to
>> > 'Normal (Web)'?"
>> >
>> > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
>> > message news:umrp7QF8DHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

0
dkr6272 (1)
2/12/2004 5:40:33 AM
You are right, it is using the formatting used by the sender.

So we have a problem - an issue - with Wordmail.  If the sender isn't using
Wordmail, when I reply to their message and press return, I get a 0pt space
after the paragraph.  However when they view my reply, they see a 12pt
space, because they are using an HTML reader like normal Outlook or Outlook
Express, that correctly always expects 'Return' = '12pt space'.

The issue is, Wordmail doesn't display the correct space, so I press return
twice.

When it looks right on my screen, it looks wrong on theirs.  When it looks
wrong on my screen, it looks right on theirs.  Surely this isn't the way
Microsoft intended it?

Can this be fixed, worked-around, or submitted as an issue to the Wordmail
development team?
--
Thanks in advance!

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP - DELETE UPPERCASE CHARACTERS FROM EMAIL ADDRESS"
<dkr@mOSTvALUABLEpROFESSIONALs.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> >> adding a manual line break, the only way that it won't turn into two
line
> >> breaks on the other end is to use SHIFT+ENTER for the break rather than
> >> ENTER.
> >>
> >> Have you tried editing and saving the Normal.dot template in Word so
that
> > it
> >> uses the styles you want?  AFAIK, WordMail in Outlook 2002 or later
uses
> >> Normal.dot -- older versions of WordMail used a separate Word template
> >> (Email.dot).
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jocelyn Fiorello
> >> MVP - Outlook
> >>
> >> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
> >> reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***

2/12/2004 11:10:07 AM
Ok, I give up, I'm going back to normal e-mail and ditching Word.  It's
useless if it can't format consistently.
--
Thanks in advance!

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

"CJSnet" <usenet@the-simpsonTEETH.tv> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm using Word as my e-mail editor in Outlook 2003 and want to change
> the default Style for e-mails from 'Normal' to 'Normal (Web)'.
>
> The problem is that new e-mails and replies in HTML format use the
'Normal'
> Microsoft Word 'Style', and this has no gap after paragraphs.  The upshot
of
> this is that when sending an e-mail, I have to press return twice to
create
> a gap, but when the recipient views this, their software shows it as four
> gaps (the extra carriage return I typed + their correctly viewed HTML
> carriage return after each line).
>
> E.g. I type this:
>
>     Dear Mr Gates
>
>     Why is it always so difficult?
>
>     Kind regards
>
> And they see this:
>
>     Dear Mr Gates
>

>     Why is it always so difficult?
>

>     Kind regards
>
> The simplest solution is if I change the style of the e-mail to 'Normal
> (Web)' before typing each message, but this is obviously a lot of trouble
> and we really need it to happen automatically.
>
> Adjusting the Paragraph settings in Word itself has no impact on the
default
> settings for e-mails.
>
> There is a New E-mail Message template in Word's New Document template
list,
> but I can't seem to edit this as it is an Outlook template.  If I edit it
in
> Outlook, it doesn't offer the 'Normal (Web)' Style, and if I edit it in
> Word, I can't save it back as the required Outlook template format!
>
> I have also tried adjusting the Stationary to include the paragraph breaks
> correctly, and this works fine for new HTML messages, but for replies it
> doesn't use my Stationary, so the problem recurs.  Help!
> --
> Thanks in advance!
>
> CJSnet
>
> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

0
usenet4553 (11)

Word 2010 beta: Cannot save my Normal.dotm file
Using the Word 2010 beta on Win7. I cannot save my Normal.dotm file - at least not usefully. I can open the file, edit it, add macros to it, whatever, and it will save (in the folder directory, the .dotm file will show a change in file size). But when I close Word, or if I open a new document in Word, the Normal.dotm file is reset to the default, losing any changes I've made. I can save and use other .dotm templates; but not the default Normal.dotm template. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010 -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup...

Money Deluxe 2006 Trial to Money Deluxe Web Download.
Purchased the "full-download" Microsoft Money Deluxe 2006 version from the trial version download. I followed all the steps to "Activate" the product with successful conclusion. However, the "Trial" nag screen continues to pop-up every time I sign onto Money 2006. To add insult to injury, when I have signed onto the Support Center, wishing to send an email to ask about this, the web-site does not recognize my "PID" (Product ID)...because it continues to believe it is the trail version....thusly only a serial number is listed. And, the SN is not r...

Set request parameters for web services

New Disk storage

Recieve Mail Before Sending

can't customize toolbar

Grammar check not working

Mail lMerge

Can anyone help ?

how do i change colour of scroll bar in worksheet
I find it very difficult to see the scroll bar in my excel workshhet as they are white, can they be changed to a colour and if so how ? Are the scrollbars white in other applications? In win98, I could change some display settings, but I couldn't change the scrollbar colors. But if the scrollbars aren't white in other applications, then this can't be the solution. Jayne wrote: > > I find it very difficult to see the scroll bar in my excel workshhet as they > are white, can they be changed to a colour and if so how ? -- Dave Peterson In word they are, but not on a...

Newbie Question: Using Web Services
Hello All. I've been trying to implement Infopath with CRM with no success. I've tried the example, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crminfopathcrmintegration.asp, to no avail. I have followed the example to the letter, but find the information about publishing the Web Service to the server to be somewhat lacking. Admittedly, I am not a programmer, and I am continually running into an error in line 54: xmlDoc.LoadXml(objQuery.ExecuteQuery(objBizUser.WhoAmI(), strAllAccountsFetchXML)); Has anyone else ...