Hide "All Mail Folders" pane? Rename inboxes?

I'm using Outlook 2003 in Windows XP.  I have three email accounts, one 
university IMAP account, one POP3 account, and a Bluebottle.com account.

I currently filter my IMAP email by having it autoforwarded to the 
Bluebottle address.  This means that I have three folders, but I only want to 
see two of them (the filtered one and the POP3).  I have those in my 
"Favorite Folders" pane, but everything is still in my "All Mail Folders" 
pane.  Is there any way to hide this pane so that I only have to look at the 
favorite folders?

Second, I would like to rename my inboxes.  For some reason, Outlook will 
not allow this.  Maybe this is because they are IMAP folders and need to 
match the server's version?  Even so, there's no good reason for the program 
not to allow some kind of nickname.

Neither of these issues comes up with Mozilla's Thunderbird client, but I 
would rather stay with Outlook if possible.

Any help would be great.
0
TheProf (2)
1/21/2005 7:39:05 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

6 Replies
318 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 42

TheProf <TheProf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I currently filter my IMAP email by having it autoforwarded to the
> Bluebottle address.  This means that I have three folders, but I only
> want to see two of them (the filtered one and the POP3).  I have
> those in my "Favorite Folders" pane, but everything is still in my
> "All Mail Folders" pane.  Is there any way to hide this pane so that
> I only have to look at the favorite folders?

At the bottom of the Navigation pane, click the >> at the lower right, click 
Navigation Pane Options and deselect "Mail".  You won't be able to select 
that view any more.

> Second, I would like to rename my inboxes.  For some reason, Outlook
> will not allow this.  Maybe this is because they are IMAP folders and
> need to match the server's version?

IMAP folders are merely a reflection of what's on the server.

> Even so, there's no good reason
> for the program not to allow some kind of nickname.

The good reason is that the authors of the program didn't want to allow 
that.  Because you don't agree doesn't mean the reasoning is faulty.

> Neither of these issues comes up with Mozilla's Thunderbird client,
> but I would rather stay with Outlook if possible.

If you use Thunderbird for IMAP, its Inbox will be named whatever is on the 
server as well, won't it?

Since Outlook is a Personal Information Manager while Thunderbird is 
strictly a glorified email client, they're not comparable.  Use what you 
want.
-- 
Brian Tillman 

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/21/2005 8:39:56 PM
Ok, so the way to avoid seeing ALL of my mail folders is to disable the Mail 
view completely (which also hides my favorite folders- see my original 
question).  Interesting.  I'm going to take this as a no.

On the second point, I guess those software authors know best, then.  Darn 
consumer needs, full speed ahead.

Thanks for the friendly posting.


"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> TheProf <TheProf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> > I currently filter my IMAP email by having it autoforwarded to the
> > Bluebottle address.  This means that I have three folders, but I only
> > want to see two of them (the filtered one and the POP3).  I have
> > those in my "Favorite Folders" pane, but everything is still in my
> > "All Mail Folders" pane.  Is there any way to hide this pane so that
> > I only have to look at the favorite folders?
> 
> At the bottom of the Navigation pane, click the >> at the lower right, click 
> Navigation Pane Options and deselect "Mail".  You won't be able to select 
> that view any more.
> 
> > Second, I would like to rename my inboxes.  For some reason, Outlook
> > will not allow this.  Maybe this is because they are IMAP folders and
> > need to match the server's version?
> 
> IMAP folders are merely a reflection of what's on the server.
> 
> > Even so, there's no good reason
> > for the program not to allow some kind of nickname.
> 
> The good reason is that the authors of the program didn't want to allow 
> that.  Because you don't agree doesn't mean the reasoning is faulty.
> 
> > Neither of these issues comes up with Mozilla's Thunderbird client,
> > but I would rather stay with Outlook if possible.
> 
> If you use Thunderbird for IMAP, its Inbox will be named whatever is on the 
> server as well, won't it?
> 
> Since Outlook is a Personal Information Manager while Thunderbird is 
> strictly a glorified email client, they're not comparable.  Use what you 
> want.
> -- 
> Brian Tillman 
> 
> 
0
TheProf (2)
1/21/2005 10:19:01 PM
Brian, I think is "faulty reason" when customizing is a must in todays 
solutions for consumers.

Also, my outlook name for "spam" mail is "Correo electronico no deseado". 
Wow! It uses 1/4 of the screen space just to have that full name displayed 
allong with the amount of emails...

Do you think is "good designing" to loose all that usefull space??

"TheProf" <TheProf@discussions.microsoft.com> escribi� en el mensaje 
news:E35F281D-FC40-42E2-B37C-077D5A7A43CD@microsoft.com...
> Ok, so the way to avoid seeing ALL of my mail folders is to disable the 
> Mail
> view completely (which also hides my favorite folders- see my original
> question).  Interesting.  I'm going to take this as a no.
>
> On the second point, I guess those software authors know best, then.  Darn
> consumer needs, full speed ahead.
>
> Thanks for the friendly posting.
>
>
> "Brian Tillman" wrote:
>
>> TheProf <TheProf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I currently filter my IMAP email by having it autoforwarded to the
>> > Bluebottle address.  This means that I have three folders, but I only
>> > want to see two of them (the filtered one and the POP3).  I have
>> > those in my "Favorite Folders" pane, but everything is still in my
>> > "All Mail Folders" pane.  Is there any way to hide this pane so that
>> > I only have to look at the favorite folders?
>>
>> At the bottom of the Navigation pane, click the >> at the lower right, 
>> click
>> Navigation Pane Options and deselect "Mail".  You won't be able to select
>> that view any more.
>>
>> > Second, I would like to rename my inboxes.  For some reason, Outlook
>> > will not allow this.  Maybe this is because they are IMAP folders and
>> > need to match the server's version?
>>
>> IMAP folders are merely a reflection of what's on the server.
>>
>> > Even so, there's no good reason
>> > for the program not to allow some kind of nickname.
>>
>> The good reason is that the authors of the program didn't want to allow
>> that.  Because you don't agree doesn't mean the reasoning is faulty.
>>
>> > Neither of these issues comes up with Mozilla's Thunderbird client,
>> > but I would rather stay with Outlook if possible.
>>
>> If you use Thunderbird for IMAP, its Inbox will be named whatever is on 
>> the
>> server as well, won't it?
>>
>> Since Outlook is a Personal Information Manager while Thunderbird is
>> strictly a glorified email client, they're not comparable.  Use what you
>> want.
>> -- 
>> Brian Tillman
>>
>> 


0
1/22/2005 12:49:38 PM
Hi, Andrew;

You could collapse your mail folders, so that all that is displayed is the 
top level folder (i.e. "Personal Folders) and whatever other PSTs you are 
using. I tried this. The folder list remained collapsed after closing and 
re-launching Outlook.

Instead of renaming your inboxes, you could make new folders, named whatever 
you want. and use rules to move your e-mails to the appropriate box.

Regards,
Ian  


"Andrew Ofthesong" wrote:

> > Ok, so the way to avoid seeing ALL of my mail folders is to disable the 
> > Mail
> > view completely (which also hides my favorite folders- see my original
> > question).  Interesting.  I'm going to take this as a no.
> >
> > Second, I would like to rename my inboxes.  For some reason, Outlook
> > will not allow this.
0
IanRoy (172)
1/24/2005 1:09:02 AM
TheProf <TheProf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Ok, so the way to avoid seeing ALL of my mail folders is to disable
> the Mail view completely (which also hides my favorite folders- see
> my original question).  Interesting.  I'm going to take this as a no.

Sorry.  I misunderstood what you want.  I can't find any way to display only 
the Favorites list.

> On the second point, I guess those software authors know best, then.
> Darn consumer needs, full speed ahead.

In several years of reading messages in Outlook newsgroups, yours is the 
first request I've seen for the ability to change the name of the Inbox. 
So, make a wish: write to outwish at microsoft dot com and request that they 
add this ability.  Microsoft can't meet consumer "needs" without the 
consumers telling them what they "need".
-- 
Brian Tillman 

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/24/2005 3:07:10 PM
Ok, this is a copy of the email I send.
Hope they read it:

****************************************
Hi, I have Outlook 2003, in Spanish.



My folders have funny names, like:

[Bandeja de Entrada en Hotmail]            (for Hotmail Inbox)

[Correo electr�nico no deseado]             (for Spam)



And so on, so is very useless, because the folder tree uses too much space 
if I want to see the number of emails on all my folders.



I need 225 screen-pixels assigned to folder tree just to see the number of 
spam I have. In a common 1024 screen this is 22% of working space wasted. On 
a also-common 800 screen this is up to 28%!



Hope you Fix (yes, fix) this.



Thanks,

***************************************



"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> escribi� en el mensaje 
news:eLPpiZiAFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> TheProf <TheProf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, so the way to avoid seeing ALL of my mail folders is to disable
>> the Mail view completely (which also hides my favorite folders- see
>> my original question).  Interesting.  I'm going to take this as a no.
>
> Sorry.  I misunderstood what you want.  I can't find any way to display 
> only the Favorites list.
>
>> On the second point, I guess those software authors know best, then.
>> Darn consumer needs, full speed ahead.
>
> In several years of reading messages in Outlook newsgroups, yours is the 
> first request I've seen for the ability to change the name of the Inbox. 
> So, make a wish: write to outwish at microsoft dot com and request that 
> they add this ability.  Microsoft can't meet consumer "needs" without the 
> consumers telling them what they "need".
> -- 
> Brian Tillman 


0
2/6/2005 11:27:27 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

SMTP account in All Mail Folders (Outlook2003)
Hi All, I have successfully gotten my Hotmail to show as a folder in my "All Mail Folders" pane, but after setting up a POP3/SMTP mail account (twice even!) I can't get this to show in the "All Mail Folders" pane. It (outlook) knows it's 'there' because when I send mail I can choose the POP3 account as the source of my email, I just can't see it anywhere to be able to check it's contents. Ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated. Steve. Just in case anyone else has gotten this problem, it looks like any mail that gets delivered to the POP3/MAPI...

Possible to hide the All Mail Folders part of Mail view?
I have rules that move messages to folders in my hierarchy. The problem is that the All Mail Folders section of the Nav Pane (when in the Mail view) resizes vertically to show the folder. This hides my Current View part of the Nav Pane that I use frequently. Is there any way to customize the nav bar to remove parts like. IOW, I only want Fav Folders and Current View to display. (I can get to the other folders through the Folder View when I need to) Use the shortcuts button to create the view you want. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion ...

How do I make "Search In All Mail Folders" actually search all of them?
How do I make "Search In All Mail Folders" actually search all of them? When I select "All Mail Folders" from dropdown, it only inserts Drafts;Inbox;Outbox;Sent Items into the "Search In" field, Is there any way to make that dropdown actually list all mail folders or do I have to select them all by hand each time? Any help or pointers to help are appreciated. Thanks, Ken Outlook version? What search engine are you using? WDS? GDS? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head sc...

another pst file has attached itself to my all mail folders list
Outlook 2003 I have a few different users and each one has its own pst file with its own individual name. mg.pst or louise.pst etc. Somehow, when I open the mg profile, the louise.pst is also listed in my All Mail Folders List on the left. Right clicking on it to close it, results in the message "the operation failed. An object could not be found". Is there a way to get this out of my mg mail folders list profile list? And how did it get on? TIA Louise Create a new mail profile - yours has somehow become corrupt. Configure it to use your existing .pst file. --� Milly...

Need "Bold Fonts" on some folders in the "All Mail Folders".
In the "ALL Mail Folders" above the Navigation Pane I would like to make the Folder Names to be BOLD and hane the sub-folders normal. I have several Folders that I keep expanded and having the Main Folders in Bold Fonts would help the folder I am looking for "Jump Out". Can anyone Help? Nope, Outlook doesn't support that. Keith wrote: > In the "ALL Mail Folders" above the Navigation Pane I would like to make the > Folder Names to be BOLD and hane the sub-folders normal. I have several > Folders that I keep expanded and having the ...

Views don't update in all mail folders.
When using View/arrange By/Current Views/Define Views, to make modifications to the "Messages" view (specifically, to turn off the reading pane and grouping and/or add/remove fields) the changes do not filter through to all mail folders using that view. I can't locate anything in options that looks like a toggle switch to automatically update all folders to use the new view settings. HELP anyone? As soon as you change the Messages view in one folder, that view is "one-offed" for that folder only. You'd need to reset the Messages view globally and then ap...

how to recover a deleted file from All Mail Folders
how to recover a deleted file from All Mail Folders This may or may not help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246153/en-us How to recover items that have been hard deleted in Outlook Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!" KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4 Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com "NaNi" <NaNi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0558ECE9-B22C-4640-9A42-D6C9D8B07649@microsoft.com... > how to recover a d...

Yahoo does not appear in my All Mail Folders window
I have added my Yahoo email account to Outlook 2003. It was easy enough to add Yahoo email but I can't figure out how to get Yahoo to appear in my "All Mail Folders." I can't locate Yahoo email at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated! On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:05:02 -0800, "dclarine" <dclarine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have added my Yahoo email account to Outlook 2003. It was easy enough to >add Yahoo email but I can't figure out how to get Yahoo to appear in my "All >Mail Folders." I can't locate Yahoo email a...

Is there a way to display Public Folders in the All Mail Folders view? Outlook2003
We are getting ready to deploy Outlook 2003 to about 10,000 users. The powers that be do not want the users to have to click on the folder icon in order to see Public Folders (PF). They want them to be in their face when the software is first deployed. A new installation shows, on the left side of the window, Favorite Folders, All Mail Folders (which is the user's mailbox and folders that are on the Exchange server), large icons for Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks, small icons for Notes, Folder View, and Shortcuts. Then there's the little double arrow to configure all of the icons...

Is there a way to display Public Folders in All Mail Folders view?
We are getting ready to deploy Outlook 2003 to about 10,000 users. The powers that be do not want the users to have to click on the folder icon in order to see Public Folders (PF). They want them to be in their face when the software is first deployed. A new installation shows, on the left side of the window, Favorite Folders, All Mail Folders (which is the user's mailbox and folders that are on the Exchange server), large icons for Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks, small icons for Notes, Folder View, and Shortcuts. Then there's the little double arrow to configure all of the ic...

Triple "Personnal Folders" in All mail folders pane
Hi, I d' like to knwon how Can I remove 2 of the triple "personnal folder" I had in the All Mail Folders panel (the left hand side panel). They are all the same. Except the first one have different icons compare to the other 2 which are below the first one. How Can I remove the last 2 Thanks ...

Appearance of the "All Mail Folders"
I would like to make the "Folders" in my "All Mail Folders" (above the Navigation Pane) "BOLD" while leaving the sub-panels un-bolded. Can anyone help? "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9690308A-B370-425E-BFAF-56BFF0833448@microsoft.com... > I would like to make the "Folders" in my "All Mail Folders" (above the > Navigation Pane) "BOLD" while leaving the sub-panels un-bolded. Can anyone > help? Sorry, not possible AFAIK... Please don't multi-post. Cross po...

Same view for all mail folders
How do I define a mail view and apply it to all my mail folders? I'm on Outlook 2003. Define View - Type = Table (assuming you want it to resemble a standard mail folder). "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:uEKWwchvFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > How do I define a mail view and apply it to all my mail folders? > > I'm on Outlook 2003. > > But that only sets the view to the current folder. What about for all folders? I don't have to go about doing this setting manually one-by-one for each do I? "Rich Gory" <rgory...

Hide "All Mail Folders" pane? Rename inboxes?
I'm using Outlook 2003 in Windows XP. I have three email accounts, one university IMAP account, one POP3 account, and a Bluebottle.com account. I currently filter my IMAP email by having it autoforwarded to the Bluebottle address. This means that I have three folders, but I only want to see two of them (the filtered one and the POP3). I have those in my "Favorite Folders" pane, but everything is still in my "All Mail Folders" pane. Is there any way to hide this pane so that I only have to look at the favorite folders? Second, I would like to rename my inboxe...

removing "all mail folders" from left "Mail" view
I am a new user to Outlook and am using Outlook 2003. On the left side of my screen, there is a column called MAIL. It has a FAVORITES folder near the top and under that there is a ALL MAIL FOLDERS area. Is there a way to delete the ALL MAIL FOLDERS area? The only folders I use are above it in the FAVORITES area. TIA No. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no a...

Multiple *.pst files in "All Mail Folders"
Dear All: I have multiple *.pst files that have been created over the last 10 years. Most are still on the old 2000 format ie not the new 2003 format. Some relate to specific projects and others relate to series of companies etc etc. They were all under the former 2 gig limits in size for pst files. I would like to have those files available in the " All Mail Folders" section in Outlook 2003. However, I get an "out of resources" when I bring those files into the folder area and try to open a pst file to read an email or deposit a new email in that file/folder. (abc.pst...

Outlook 2003 mail folder layout issue, all mail folders
I would like to set a default mail folder layout or view that will apply to all mail folders. In Outlook 2003 when I click View | Arranged By | Current View | Define Views, highlight IMAP Messages (my e-mail account is an IMAP account, not an Exchange mail server), click Modify, makes my changes in the 'Customized View: IMAP Messages', such as: Fields: Subject, Flag Status, From, Received, Size, Attachment, and Importance Group By: None Sort: Received Filter: Off Other Settings: Grid line style: No grid lines [ ] Show items in Groups How do I make Outlook 2003 ...

Search ALL Mail folders
(Microsoft Office Outlook 2003). When I type a word in the "Look for:" box, click "All Mail folders" in the "Search in" drop-down list and click "Find Now", the results appear in a list labelled "Inbox". (This leads me believe that only the "Inbox" folder is being searched). How do I see the results from ALL folders? Searching the Inbox folder includes all subfolders if you have specified they are included. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook ve...

organizing outllok all mail folders pane
I just switched from Thunderbird to Outlook. TB was very easy to customize. For outlook, any tips on how to organize the all mail folder pane? Like, moving the deleted folder from the top to the bottom of the list. Looks like my pane is sorted alphabetically. You might as well get used to sorting alphabetically... Sry. On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:49:02 -0800, Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I just switched from Thunderbird to Outlook. TB was very easy to customize. >For outlook, any tips on how to organize the all mail folder pane? Like, >moving the deleted folder...