Hi + Excel related...Please read.

Hello everybody,

I just joined this community and this is my first email.

I am sure these three question must have been posted a hundred times
before but I couldn't find the answers in the preliminary search I did
here. Please feel free to redirect me to any video or tutorial site for
my issue....

I want to know the steps (at least rough steps) to transfer my address
book from excel 2003 to outlook so that I can get it finally into my
iphone. I don't know how can I tell outlook or excel that the column A
has the 'first names', column B has the 'last names' column C has the
Phone no. and so on.

Moreover, my excel sheets have so many columns eg, "no. of children"
and "the school they went to" which are not there in Outlook at all.. I
want ALL the contacts in my outlook to have these two additional
fields.. How can I do that in bulk and not add these two fields
manually for each contact??

Also I want to be able to save all the contact information from outlook
back to some kind of file on my external hard disk.... for backup you
know...

Please give me steps for these three tasks...(most important is the
first one of course... I am struggling since I got the iPhone on the
11th.)

Cheers,
Charles.

--
Charles Brown

1. See http://www.slipstick.com/Tutorials/import/import.htm - use the same
method for contacts.
2. I don't think you can import to custom fields - maybe use the 4 user
fields outlook already has or merge the cells of extra data and place it in
the Notes field (Message field when mapping fields).
3. Do you want the data in outlook format or a more universal format?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **

"Charles Brown" <Charles.Brown.2c2aaea@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message

> Hello everybody,
>
> I just joined this community and this is my first email.
>
> I am sure these three question must have been posted a hundred times
> before but I couldn't find the answers in the preliminary search I did
> here. Please feel free to redirect me to any video or tutorial site for
> my issue....
>
> I want to know the steps (at least rough steps) to transfer my address
> book from excel 2003 to outlook so that I can get it finally into my
> iphone. I don't know how can I tell outlook or excel that the column A
> has the 'first names', column B has the 'last names' column C has the
> Phone no. and so on.
>
> Moreover, my excel sheets have so many columns eg, "no. of children"
> and "the school they went to" which are not there in Outlook at all.. I
> want ALL the contacts in my outlook to have these two additional
> fields.. How can I do that in bulk and not add these two fields
> manually for each contact??
>
> Also I want to be able to save all the contact information from outlook
> back to some kind of file on my external hard disk.... for backup you
> know...
>
> Please give me steps for these three tasks...(most important is the
> first one of course... I am struggling since I got the iPhone on the
> 11th.)
>
> Cheers,
> Charles.
>

> --
> Charles Brown

0
outlookmvp (5838)
7/15/2008 8:34:36 PM
Thanks Diane.

I can get the contacts in outlook now using 'named ranges' in excel
However I have nicknames for my contacts and the 'nickname' field i
outlook did not take that, e.g. I call my nephew, tiger, but th
contact's nickname field showed as blank after the import from excel.
had to finally send it in the notes. Why did outlook not take th
nickname?

Also what is the value to be sent in the 'file as' field. I sent 'Firs
Last' and it still saved my contact as 'Last, First' Why?

Also what is the use of the 4 user fields if you can't tell outlook t
add the 4 fields for all the contacts (current, and ones in future) a
: 'date we met', 'favorite movie', 'favorite food' and favorit
drink'.

For the last question I asked earlier.. (saving the contacts i
external HDD) any format which Outlook can read again is fine.. I
excel can also read then its great but I want outlook to rea
atleast... Will all my contacts in all folders go as one single file?

One very important question... Suppose one of my contacts has som
important info in the notes field.. How can I search all my contacts t
pin point that contact.. Ie are all fields (including Notes) searchabl
in outlook...

Thanks in advance.
Charles.

--
Charles Brown

Excel 97 dropdown function box
The dropdown function box on the Formula Bar show formulas but will no longer show "More Functions". How can I get this item back? ...

generate report thru pracle to excell
Recently i upgraded to ms office 2003 since then I'm not able to generate reports thru oracle unto excell (online ). But when I log in an administrator in the local system I'm able to generate the report. the same does not happen with domain users ...

Vertical Header in Excel
Is there a way to make a header in excel run down the side of the spreadsheet (vertical header)? You can freeze panes so that certain columns are always visible. Is that what you meant? If yes, then make sure the column(s) that should be visible is showing. Then select the column to the right and window|Freeze Panes (in xl2003 menus) For instance if I wanted column A to be always visible, I would make sure column A is visible to start. Then select column B and window|freeze Panes. On 05/18/2010 09:09, Erika wrote: > Is there a way to make a header in excel run do...

finding the area under the curve in a graph in excel
Need help having excel calculate the total area under the curve of a graph in excel. Have a look at Bernard Liengme's website: http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/ HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Need help having excel calculate the total area under the curve of a graph in >excel. >. > ...

Excel 2003 file freezes laptop
I took a laptop away from the office and tried to open a large spreadsheet on the local C: drive. Each time I tried the laptop froze and had to be rebooted. When I connected back to the LAN at work, and opened the same file on the local C: drive I had no problems. What could cause this? If there is any corruption is there a way to decompile or something as you would in Access? Thanks, Mich ...

How to slant cells in Excel on top of chart at about 45 degrees
Trying to make a chart and slant cells at the top at about a 45 degree angle with borders and still be able to type into it. Is this possible? ckricci Wrote: > Trying to make a chart and slant cells at the top at about a 45 degree > angle > with borders and still be able to type into it. Is this possible? HI ckricci Try Format > Cells > Alignment Tab and set the Orientation to 45 degress -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

Pasting Graphs as Pictures in Excel
In an attempt to save file size, I would like to use paste special to past Excel graphs as pictures within Excel. I know you can paste special as pictures within PPT, but is it possible to do it within Excel???? Not sure if that can be done, what I do is cop the graph, open mspaint paste, select it again copy and paste back into excel, it does it as an image -- -John Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know what is helpful. "andy.hogan@gmail.com" wrote: > In an attempt to save file size, I would like to use paste special to > past Excel gra...

Displaying a dataset or datatable in Excel
There's something I think ought to be easy, but I can't find a way to do it. Either there's something wrong with the way I'm searching, or there's a reason it can't be done easily. What I want is to create an excel addin that, when the user opens a spreadsheet , it goes out and fetches some data from a database, and displays it in a table. Pretty straightforward. Here's some code: void Application_WorkbookOpen(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook wb) {//I've also attached this to other events. The "open" event isn't...

Syntax for Re-registration of Excell
Windows 2000, Excel v8. Does anyone know the syntax for re-registration with Windows? We get a file already open error every time we launch a SS without opening the app first. Had a similiar problem with Word and fixed it with Winword /r. Thanks! Hi first you may check: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Windows 2000, Excel v8. Does anyone know the syntax for > re-registration with Windows? We get a file already open > error every time we launch a SS without opening t...

Data changes when Analyzed with Excel
I have a query with 3 tables that represent master item list, count qty and as qty. When I look at the results in Query, all is well and accurate yet when I select Analyze with Excel, values change. For example, if a record shows zero qty in the as of field and zero quantity in the count field, I get a value in one or both of the fields that origianlly were zero. Other than linking the tables and grouping by master item list (to show all parts regardless of qty's), there are no formulas or expressions in this query. One of the tables is linked to a FoxPro table via ODBC driver. ...

Recovery excel file
Anybody knows if there is any free tools to recover a advanced excel file (using macro, graphics, formulas, and several formats)???????? Tks, Marcelo Rayol ...

Printing in excel always comes out in bold even tho bold not on
When I print in excel my work always comes out in bold even though the bold is not switched on. Any suggestions?? It could be a printer setting. Does it print in bold from other applications? Regards, Fred "Scarlett50" <Scarlett50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF3BAEA1-4D22-449E-BB8F-31DD8855AF20@microsoft.com... > When I print in excel my work always comes out in bold even though the > bold > is not switched on. Any suggestions?? No only when I have to type a report in excel - the actual report is ok on other computers! but...

Powerpoint with Excel formatted information
My team has an excel file with Text and Icons in a status report format. We use it to copy and insert paste into Powerpoint. After copying into Powerpoint, I try to select it and edit but powerpoint gives an error that says: "There isn't enough memory available to read the Excel file" Other team members use this same excel template and powerpoint and they can edit the information after it is copied to powerpoint. And I can use their files and they work fine. Only one team member has this issue so somehow this person's excel file is using a massi...

how do I open excel workbook If i forget my workbook password
I made programm with a lot of formuals so I've put password on the workbook, because I did not wanted to earase formulas accidently,but now I can't open it because I forget the password. Thanks for help Hi search Google for 'Excel password remover' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "av8rart" <av8rart@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D2443918-FEF4-41E6-92C4-9B19A293778A@microsoft.com... > I made programm with a lot of formuals so I've put password on the workbook, >...

Excel calculates wrong ????
I have had no luck figuring this out... I have a list of 8 positive and negative numbers that 2 decimal place each. The numbers sum to zero confirmed by a calculator, however exce sums them to (2.55654899E12). I do not know why excel calculates the with a small value left that is denoted by scientific notation. I checked the value of each number to ensure that it did not includ any extra decimals, and I even re-typed them. I have had this happen with several other lists of numbers that are n brainers to calculate, and excel added extra scientific notation to th total. I have no idea why ...

Output to excel ==> replace worksheet
Usually out to excel will replace a workbook.Can we make it to replace worksheet only.Thank's "shiro" <shiro@myname?.com> wrote in message news:umONlZiRIHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Usually out to excel will replace a workbook.Can we make it > to replace worksheet only.Thank's How about, just replacing the contents of a cell, or cells? Dim appXL As Object Dim wkb As Object Dim wks As Object Set appXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") Set wkb = appXL.Workbooks.Open("C:\MyFolder\MyWorkBook.xls") Set wks = wkb.Worksheets(1) wks.Cell...

IN EXCEL, WHEN I CLICK ONA SINGLE CELL It HIGHLIGHTS WHOLE Page
please help Hi maybe: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:36180425-96C2-4368-9DE0-3E60741154FF@microsoft.com... > please help Just click on a cell and nothing else? Or perhaps you mean click on a cell then as you move the cursor around other cells are selected like the cursor is stuck? If the former, you must have some event code which selects the cells or you are clicking on the gray box at intersect of rows and columns(top left above ro...

Please help, I know nothing
I am a very new at this and it is driving me crazy. For example, I want to add all of column A + column B and I want the answer to go in C. I want this action to always happen automatically. How do I do this...in easy, non-math language?? I understand the basic concept of the formula, but it will only do it in C1, e.g I also get the error #name? Where do I enter this "name" and what is it referring to I would appreciate any and all help Thanks Amme your question is a little vague do you want c1 to add a1 & b1 then c2 to add a2 & b2 If yes then in c1 type in =a1+b1 o...

excel v4
Does anyone know when Version 4 of Excel was introduced and/or retired http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:042201c39e64$4f4d9ab0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know when Versi...

help with Excel Chart, Series name
Hello, I am using ORACLE OLE2 package to print a series bar graph in excel. I need to rename "Series Name" that comes out in as a char in excel. By defual the series are names as Series1, Series2, Series3,.....SeriesN. How can I access the handle to "Series Name" which help me change its name. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks you, Bilal Bilal, Manally, you do this with Chart - Source data - Series tab. There's a series name box. Select the series to be edited in the drop-down at the left first. It may have a cell reference currently in it, or you can...

Excel spradsheet automation help
there are 3 sheets in an excel spreadsheet say the names are 1,2 AND3 layouts ar ethere for all 3 sheets. the first sheet is used as input and based on certain fields/columns in the first sheet i need to populate entries in the second and 3 rd sheet. teh main purpose is taht based on the first sheet the 2 and 3 sheet should be automatically filled. wat kind of formula / macro should i be using .. im new to this and jsut know to create macro. CAn anybody help ON either Sheet 2 or Sheet 3, you can put this formula in any cell and it will return whatever value is in cell A1 on sheet 1. =Sh...

Active X control in Excel 2003
I have is=nstalled a pen pad on my pc which usies an active x control in Excel to enable me to draw in it. Everytime I start Excel it asks me if I was to run this Active X control. Is there a way of stopping it asking me every time? Thanks Shane Excel 2003, Windows XP home Hi, I think if you lowered your security level, it wouldn't ask, but I wouldn't recommend doing so. It prevents unauthorized and possibly dangerous macros from running and causing damage. I'd put up with the nuisance. jeff >-----Original Message----- >I have is=nstalled a pen pad on my pc which usi...

A little budget understanding, please
I am a new Money 2004 user after using Quicken for 10 years. I have noticed the monthly bills I have assigned dollar amounts to show up in the Budget planner. Underneath these routine bills, another budget entry is there entitled "other expenses for . . . ." If I leave the "other expenses for {whatever monthly bill I have setup} blank, it shows up during the review of the budget with no amount budgeted for that catergory. Even though I have a dollar amount setup for the monthly bill. However, if I enter the same dollar amount as the monthly bill, it than shows a subto...

gridlines from excel not working?
im trying to make outlook print gridlines. i copy a piece of an excel worksheet into an outlook email. the gridlines appear ok. but when i go to print- they dont appear on the preview or the print out. what do i need to do to make them visible? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ also when i paste the same clipboard contents into wordpad and select print preview, the gridlines work! the only way i can figure how to get the gridlines to work in outlook is t...