Help, Accessing "Contacts"

I built a new computer. I'm running my "old" hard drive
as a "slave", it originally operated on windows 98. My
new operating system is xp.

I'm cannot retrieve my "contacts" from my "old" outlook
express. I'm able to locate what I believe are the
outlook express files, but the old contact information is
not there. It appears to be running in the new outlook
form, even though it's getting the information off
my "old" drive.

Please Help !!

0
sikojunk (3)

Clarify what you are using.
Outlook and Outlook Express are completely different programs.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"J's Dad" <sikojunk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I built a new computer. I'm running my "old" hard drive
> as a "slave", it originally operated on windows 98. My
> new operating system is xp.
>
> I'm cannot retrieve my "contacts" from my "old" outlook
> express. I'm able to locate what I believe are the
> outlook express files, but the old contact information is
> not there. It appears to be running in the new outlook
> form, even though it's getting the information off
> my "old" drive.
>
> Please Help !!

0
russval (3097)
1/15/2004 6:49:47 PM
Sorry, the information I'm trying to retrieve is/was in
Outlook Express, 6 I believe.

Outlook has been installed on the "new" system/drive.

0
sikojunk (3)
1/15/2004 7:14:58 PM
J's Dad <sikojunk@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sorry, the information I'm trying to retrieve is/was in
> Outlook Express, 6 I believe.
>
> Outlook has been installed on the "new" system/drive.

Which version of Outlook?  If 2002 or 2003, the "Import and Export>Import
Internet Mail and Addresses" wizard should do the job.  Alternatively, you
can import them back into OE and then use that to export to Outlook.  It's
often the more desirable approach because it preserves the message dates.
--
Brian Tillman
Smiths Aerospace

Tillman (1436)
1/15/2004 8:07:10 PM
Then you need to restore the data to OE on your new drive first. Only then
will you be able to export/import from OE to Outlook. If you need help
restoring to OE, you'll need to visit an OE group.
--
> Sorry, the information I'm trying to retrieve is/was in
> Outlook Express, 6 I believe.
>
> Outlook has been installed on the "new" system/drive.

0
russval (3097)
1/15/2004 8:57:02 PM
I'm not sure whats meant by "Then you need to restore the
data to OE on your new drive first." My computer was
purchased in pieces, we purchased all the components
seperatly to the end result. I did buy a new drive, "c" a
seperate motherboard etc. My "old" drive, "f", was
running on 98, does the xp on the "c" drive "over-ride"
the 98 on the f ?? I understand they operate diff. fat32
etc.

I'm able to fing the contact folders (on the f) & open.
The page appears, similar to my old outlook express b-4.
when I select the contacts I get none of the names & info
added b-4. Theres one folder that does have 4
names/contacts. Not near as many as I had b-4.

An OE group is what ?? Is that the computer mfg. i.e.
sony, hp, compaq etc ?? If so, thats not an option.

@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@**@**@**@*@*@*@**@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*

0
sikojunk (3)
1/15/2004 9:54:44 PM
This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs.
Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different
program despite its similar name..

You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an
outlook express news group.

Try posting in one of these newsgroups:

A good website for information on OE is:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/

--
> I'm not sure whats meant by "Then you need to restore the
> data to OE on your new drive first." My computer was
> purchased in pieces, we purchased all the components
> seperatly to the end result. I did buy a new drive, "c" a
> seperate motherboard etc. My "old" drive, "f", was
> running on 98, does the xp on the "c" drive "over-ride"
> the 98 on the f ?? I understand they operate diff. fat32
> etc.
>
> I'm able to fing the contact folders (on the f) & open.
> The page appears, similar to my old outlook express b-4.
> when I select the contacts I get none of the names & info
> added b-4. Theres one folder that does have 4
> names/contacts. Not near as many as I had b-4.
>
> An OE group is what ?? Is that the computer mfg. i.e.
> sony, hp, compaq etc ?? If so, thats not an option.
>
> @*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@**@**@**@*@*@*@**@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*

0
russval (3097)
1/15/2004 11:32:36 PM
J's dad <sikojunk@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure whats meant by "Then you need to restore the
> data to OE on your new drive first." My computer was
> purchased in pieces, we purchased all the components
> seperatly to the end result. I did buy a new drive, "c" a
> seperate motherboard etc. My "old" drive, "f", was
> running on 98, does the xp on the "c" drive "over-ride"
> the 98 on the f ?? I understand they operate diff. fat32
> etc.

Unless you've set up your system as a dual boot system (i.e., you can choose
whether to boot Windows 98 or Windows XP), then whatever is on your C drive
is what your comuter will run.  You said that's XP.  Now,  the goal is to
get your old Outlook Express mail (on your F drive) into Outlook on your C
drive.  To do that, you'll need to use the Outlook Express installed on your
C drive (it's included in Windows XP).

Your old mail is contained in a number of files whose type is ".dbx".
Search your F drive to find them.  Your Outlook Express contacts are stored
in a WIndows Address Book on your F drive, a file whose type is ".wab".
First import that into Outlook Express.  Then, tell Outlook Express where to
find your DBX files with Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store Folder.  This
should then get all your old messages into Outlook Express in Windows XP.
Set up Outlook so that it's properly configured by creating a Mail profile
using Control Panel (there's a Mail applet in there) and adding a Personal
Folders File.  In Outlook, create an Email account.  Now, in Outlook
Express, Export first addresses, then messages and everything should be
transferred to Outlook.

> An OE group is what ?? Is that the computer mfg. i.e.
> sony, hp, compaq etc ?? If so, thats not an option.

An Outlook Express newsgroup.  This newsgroup, microsoft.public.outlook is
an Outlook newsgroup.  Other newsgroups exist that deal with questions
strictly pertaining to Outlook Express.  One is
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress, which you should
be able to find on the same server you find this group.
--
Brian Tillman
Smiths Aerospace

Tillman (1436)

Public folder Shared Contacts in Outlook Contact Favourites
Hi All, We have a Shared Contacts Public Folder which works fine and is flagged as an Outlook address book. Only thing is one of our users has now asked how to include this in Outlooks Contacts Favourites Tab, any ideas? Thanks, Nick In Outlook, Right Click on the Shared Contacts PF and select Add to Favorites. -- Regards, Boon "Nick" <NoOne@NotHere.com> wrote in message news:#QJ7dC91KHA.224@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > We have a Shared Contacts Public Folder which works fine and is flagged as > an Outlook address ...

Need to backup Contacts
I am running Outlook 2000 behind Windows ME. I want to make a backup of Contacts but cannot find the location of the file. When I search on *.pab, it returns "not found". I have over 850 entries in Contacts, so I know the file exists somewhere. Any suggestions on where to find or how to back-up? Thanks. Export your contacts folder to a .pst file. The .pab is old and obsolete and has not been used for a number of releases. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all ...

Transferring contacts from OAB file
Hello, I am trying to transfer the entire GAL from a work PC to a home PC. I copied the oab, ost, and pst files to an external harddrive but have not been able to open the offline address book in Outlook at home. The pst opens fine. Any assistance or ideas appreciated. Thanks Love your attempt in regards to the oab/ost, but take a peek at http://www.slipstick.com/exs/portagal.htm <dextrorama@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1148816290.691150.313800@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > I am trying to transfer the entire GAL from a work PC to a home PC. > > ...

AOL to Outlook 2003, transfer contacts and favorites, help?
Moving from 7 years of AOL service to a new ISP and using Outlook 2003 now. How do I avoid having to copy/paste hundreds of contacts one at a time from my AOL address book to Outlook. Also have lots of 'favorites' on AOL I would like to keep... Jakfrost "Jakfrost" <Jakfrost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:924061C2-70C6-45DE-BA7D-9533902A9783@microsoft.com... > Moving from 7 years of AOL service to a new ISP and using Outlook 2003 > now. > How do I avoid having to copy/paste hundreds of contacts one at a time > from > my AOL addres...

Contacts' names & addresses
i would like to find out whether I can store my contacts' information (names and Addresses) in Excel, so that it can be self-completing when I am working on a new worksheet. You can use the VLOOKUP function to return data from a table. There are instructions and examples here: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html Thijs wrote: > i would like to find out whether I can store my contacts' information (names > and Addresses) in Excel, so that it can be self-completing when I am working > on a new worksheet. > -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Bo...

Why won't contacts list out in address book
When I open my address book or select the To: or CC: options, my contacts are not listed out. I performed the steps at the below link. The address book appears to be linked to the contact folder since the address book shows the correct contact file in the very top and will search from it, but why aren't the contacts listed for easier selection like I've seen before? Thanks.. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563&Product=ol2002 To give further info, I am running Outlook 2007 and the only message in either the global address list or my sp...

Print contacts #2
I would like my notes to appear when I print my address book from Outlook. Thanks. Add the notes field to the view you are using for your Contacts folder, and then when you print, you should see your notes. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:12fae01c3f693$82e8b4e0$a501280a@phx.gbl, RWhite wrote: > I would like my notes to appear when I print my address > book from Outlook. > > Thanks. ...

Contacts #26
I'm trying to combine all my different "contacts" folders into one folder. No matter how I copy or . . . what ever, it will not combine the folders and insists on making another copy of that "conatct" folder as a subfolder under the current folder. Is there a way to do this? Yes you can. You need to select all of the contacts in the folder (not the folder itself) and then drag them to the destination folder. Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook] Acorn Training and Consulting www.acorntraining.com.au Everyone - turn on your Advanced Toolbars and learn how to u...

Export contacts from CRM to MS Outlook
I've been searching and have not yet found a link for the answer. I am attempting to export contacts within CRM to a client and MS Outlook. Is this something that can be done? You need custom development for this. Other way is export contact manually and import in outlook. LEt me know if you are interested for this. -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com "ADP Comm" wrote: > I've been searching and have not yet found a link for the answer. I am > attem...

CRM Contacts
Hi all how do you view the CRM Contacts via the Global Address List in Outlook.and not via the outlook client addin thank you In Address BOOK , choose "CRM Contacts" and then double click on contact you wish to open. Now click on "Open in CRM" button. /Aamir Hi thank you Can non CRM users all access it from there . I want non CRM users to Access the CRM contacts any Ideas "Aamir" <whatelseto@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1194358069.573462.118740@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com... > In Address BOOK , choose "CRM Contacts" and th...

convert contacts into leads
Does anybody know how to convert an outlook contact into a crm lead? tia If you are using the CRM for outlook add-in, you simply use the "Track in CRM" button. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "tlee" <tlee@adsionline.com> wrote in message news:%23HWNSS5fGHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... Does anybody know how to convert an outlook contact into a crm lead? tia This would work for one contact at a time. Any idea how it could be done for a folder with 200 contacts in it? "Matt Parks" wrote: > If you are using the CRM for outlook add-in, y...

Cannot view contacts or public folders in outlook address book
Hi, I have Exchange Server 2003 (data migrated from SBS 2000 to SBS 2003 using a clean install of SBS 2003) and when I go to the Exchange Admin -> Recipients->All Address Lists ->All Contacts and hit "Preview" then it lists all the contacts I have set up in Active Directory. Similarly for ->Public folders. However, if I go to Outlook Address book and choose All Address Lists->All Contacts then no contacts are shown and if I go to Public folders most are shown but some are missing. I suspect a permissions problem but have checked the permissions on two public ...

Missing contacts #7
I had to reinstall my OS and now after reinstalling Outlook 2007, when I go to send an e-mail there is nothing in my contacts list. Oddly enough though all my contacts are available to be when I click on the contacts button on the left pane. http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/contactsinaddressbook.htm might help "Patrick C. Simonds" <ordnance1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:OjvWIZl5JHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I had to reinstall my OS and now after reinstalling Outlook 2007, when I go >to send an e-mail there is nothing in my contacts list. Oddly enough tho...

Error 1706 when attempting to export Contacts to Excel
When I attempt to export my contacts to Excel or as a "CSV" file, I get an error message stating that the Translator is not installed. I put my disk in to find the file and did not find it on my disk. I searched Microsoft.com and found no download. ...

unable to save any data (contacts, calendar, etc.) in Outlook 2002
I get a Microsoft box that says "not implemented" whenever I try to save data. Would it have anything to do with the fact that I answer no when I first open Outlook and it asks if I want it to be my email default? I have created an address book in Outlook Express but can't find out how to print labels from there -- dmendes Hi, search for frmcache.dat(file might be hidden) rename to frmcache.old and check if you are able to save any data. Vijay "dmendes" <dmendes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D414CBCA-9F1B-40C4-97A2-DCAED4399638@microsof...

Lead Batch Conversion to Contacts and Opportunities
Has anyone come across a solution for running a bult conversion process of leads to contacts, and opportunities? For example, I am importing a bunch of leads. Instead of going on by one and converting these leads to contacts and opps I want to do it in batch. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help! ...

CRM can't start Outlook to import contacts.
I am having a weird problem. I am trying to get CRM to import contacts that are in Business Contact Manager. When I try the import process and have CRM get them from BCM in Outlook, when it tries to start Outlook, it comes up with an error message that it could not start Outlook, it might not be installed. I am doing this on a XP machine with Office 2003 installed. Outlook by itself works fine. Any idea? Bruce can BCM output to CSV formats? I am interested to know what export features it has and of course CRM can directly import contacts and leads as csv files. -- John O'Donnell ...

Syncing Outlook contacts
Hi; In our small business we use CRM and our field people carry Treo 700W phones. It seems like the only way CRM accounts and contacts sync to a users Outlook is if they are the owner of the record in CRM. Is there a way to send ALL Accounts and or Contacts to each users Outlook Contacts? Thanks, Lloyd Hi Lloyd, The Treo 700W uses Windows Mobile, as such might I recommend the use of CRM Mobile? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=EA5A3566-7EC8-4AFE-BBFA-91E7210C55C4&displaylang=en -- Best Regards ---------------- Dave Abraham Blog: http://www.crmrocks.net &...

ActiveSync 4.2 beta and Outlook 2003 Contacts Properties Changed
When I synced with Outlook 2003 it changed a couple things in my contacts. One thing it changed is the format for "Display as" email name. It used to look like this: John Doe (johndoe@att.net). Now it just looks like this: johndoe@att.net. So when I send an email the name of the person is no longer in the To: field, only the email address. It also changed the properties of what format to send the email in. It used to say "Let Outlook decide the best sending format" Now it says, Send using Outlook Rich Text Format. Please let me know how I can get back my o...

Customize DL and contacts in GAL.
Hi, At our company we've implemented Exchange 2003. We work with franchise organisations which use our mailsystem. Management of the DL's and contacts is in our hands. Problem: We want to create a GAL filled with DL's and contacts based on groupmembership of the user. Not custom address lists. example: UserA, UserB, Admin, ContactA and DL-B GAL of UserA should contain: UserA and ContactA GAL of Userb should contain: UserB and DL-B GAL of Admin should contain: UserA, UserB, Admin, ContactA and DL-B Is it possible to accomplish this. I thought it should be possible with prop...

outlook contacts & mail merge subject
Hi, 2 Questions: - After performing a mail merge an activity is added to the recipients included in the mail merge, the subject is set to "Microsoft Mail Merge...". Can you alter this subject for each mail merge, so you can specify more detailed information in the subject line. Altering the subject for each contact/lead/account individually is too much work. - If you create a crm contact from outlook, a contact record is created both in outlook and in crm. But when migrating contacts from another db with the cdf tables this will only create contacts in crm. I want to create ...

download some Outlook 2003 contacts to my Sharp GX15 mobile
I'm trying to download some Outlook 2003 contacts to my Sharp GX15 mobile. I use Windows XP Home Edition. I select the contact in Outlook 2003 and then File - Send File to Bluetooth. For most of the contacts it downloads without any problem although for some contacts (it appears mainly for contacts that have more fields completed than just the basic name and phone numbers, etc.) I get an error message on the phone of 'Card rejected' and then on the laptop 'The request could not be honored'. Any advice as to why there is this apparent inconsistency would be very much ...

Exporting Contacts to iMac
I have just bought an iMac and just want to know how to copy my Contacts from Outlook to iMail. Anyone know how? -- Pete W "Pete W" <PeteW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5846910-C15B-4C97-9BEA-F8431898FF3E@microsoft.com... > I have just bought an iMac and just want to know how to copy my Contacts > from > Outlook to iMail. Anyone know how? Have you looked to see what formats iMail will import? No idea if this covers what your looking for but might be worth a look (know nothing about Mac) Outlook2Mac http://www.littlemach...

Re: Import Contacts
Sorry, I meant Windows Live Mail where I wrote Windows Mail. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message news:... Basically: export contacts from Gmail using the CSV option, then import that file into Windows Mail contacts. See http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=3Den&answer=3D24911 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "B.W." <bbwaller@hotmail...

Removing duplicate contacts from the database
Hi, I did not found any feature, which can be used to remove duplicate contacts in the CRM. Once it is imported into the CRM system duplicates are difficult to remove, more over only two elements can be merge at a time. Can any body suggest, how to remove duplicates? Thanks, Gagan This functionality is not availbale out of the box, however, there are a few 3rd party add-ins that are geared towards duplicate detection. "Gagan" wrote: > Hi, > > I did not found any feature, which can be used to remove duplicate contacts > in the CRM. Once it is imported into the ...