HD crash - only have .dbx files

can I recover?
I had .pst files, but the guy who copied my hard drive didn't copy those.

I have a bunch of .dbx files that he recovered.
can I do anything with them without buying software.  Or, if I must buy
software, what is good?

Outlook 2003 - and I know how to use it well.

thx

0
sorenkerk (3)

..dbx files are for Outlook Express.  Looks like you paid the wrong person to
do your recovery.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, soren asked:

| can I recover?
| I had .pst files, but the guy who copied my hard drive didn't copy
| those.
|
| I have a bunch of .dbx files that he recovered.
| can I do anything with them without buying software.  Or, if I must
| buy software, what is good?
|
| Outlook 2003 - and I know how to use it well.
|
| thx

0
MillyS (3228)
6/28/2006 5:51:48 AM
Import / recover the dbx files to OE, once available in OE export to OL

"soren" <sorenkerk@sorenkerk.com> wrote in message
> can I recover?
> I had .pst files, but the guy who copied my hard drive didn't copy those.
>
> I have a bunch of .dbx files that he recovered.
> can I do anything with them without buying software.  Or, if I must buy
> software, what is good?
>
> Outlook 2003 - and I know how to use it well.
>
> thx

0
dl6256 (276)
6/28/2006 9:40:37 AM
soren <sorenkerk@sorenkerk.com> wrote:

> can I recover?
> I had .pst files, but the guy who copied my hard drive didn't copy
> those.

Then he didn't "copy your hard drive" he copied a _portion_ of your hard
drive and you should demand that he either do so or give you your money
back.

> I have a bunch of .dbx files that he recovered.
> can I do anything with them without buying software.

Unless you always downloaded your email with both Outlook (the PST) and
Outlook Express (the DBX files), what good would it do you to move the
contents of the DBX files into Outlook?  I suspect they'd be quite divergent
from what you had in Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

In Visio how can I link a shape to a word file
I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:57:21 -0700, BB1066 <BB1066@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as >buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? Select the shape then from the 'Insert' menu select 'Hyperlinks'. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/ SanDriLa - SDL/MSC/TTCN/UML2 application for Visio http...

HUGE Publisher file
A client of mine is working on a 302MB Publisher Pro 2003 file (it's a 5-year-old Precision 340), and her PC keeps locking up on her while working with it. She's got drive space limitations (1GB left of 20), but gets the same lockup issues with other computers in her office. I have an appt. with her today at 2PM, and will try to open it on a more robust machine in the office... Has anyone else made such a large Publisher file successfully? If so, how, and what are your hardware specs? I'm wondering if Publisher is the Thanks, Paul Lots of Pictures? Turn off detailed ...

Import an OFX file with CAD currency
I am trying to import a file. This file contains currency CAD <CURDEF>CAD. My account is in canadian dollar. When i try to import this file I get the folowing message File Import: Your statement contained a default currency (CAD) which was unrelated to the currency of the account 'Desjardins Checking'. Money does not support statements containing unrelated default currencies. Is <CURDEF>CAD a good value to Money ? What sould I do ? Thanks In microsoft.public.money, Francois Lapointe wrote: >I am trying to import a file. This file contains currency >CAD...

Import data from Adobe Acrobat PDF Files
How can I import text as data from acrobat pdf files? Open the file in Acrobat Reader, then Select all text > Ctrl-C then move to cell A1 on a new worksheet and do Ctrl-V This will put all the text in column A....... It can be then broken out with Data > TextToColumns............. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Ricky S" <why767@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OHJY74iNFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > How can I import text as data from acrobat pdf files? > > > ...

Sheet linking to Another File, HLP! #2
Yea i have used the hyperlink method, but it simply opens up the othe file on a separate worksheet. I really need to bring it into the main file as a sheet -- FultonHoga ----------------------------------------------------------------------- FultonHogan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1569 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27226 hi, hyperlinks do not import data. it is just a reference to where the data is at. If you need to import, then hyperlink is not what you are after. If it is a one time thing, then c...

Duplicate reference to .pst file Outlook 2003
I have Office 2003 including Outlook 2003 installed on a Win XP Pro machine. When Outlook opens two Personal Folders appear in the Mail window, one has the default icon, the second has the archive icon. I cannot delete either of these. In Properties|Advanced they both have the same exact path name to Outlook.pst. In the Calendar window under My Calendars appears Calendar and Calendar in Personal folders. In the Contacts window two sets of contact folders appear As Contacts and Contacts in Personal folders, etc. Likewise for the Tasks and Notes windows - duplicate icons appear. If I dele...

Opening Word 2007 Files
One of my co-workers is having a problem in opening Word 2007 files. He can open them directly in Word, but can open any by double clicking the file Icon in Windows Explorer. She insists there is something wrong with Word 2007, in the way files are created and saved and is quite animated to all of her other co-workers on this subject. I really need to solve this issue - does anyone have any experience with this sort of a problem. I thank you Carl I think that the file associations might be messed up. Find a Word file on the computer in question and right click it. Look fo...

Combining two publisher files
I created chapters for a book as separate publisher files. I need to combined the chapters into one book. Does anyone know if that is possible? It should be possible but I cannot find any instructions in how to do that. I shouldn't have to paste one page at a time, but I don't see any info on appending one file to another. -- A G Broadhurst Are the pages linked within each file? -- Don Vancouver, USA "A G Broadhurst" <AGBroadhurst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C643E82-434B-4E73-9EFB-BD87BE5980A6@microsoft.com... >I created chapters...

Computer crashed suring revent update
My computer froze during the restart process of a recent update (KB971512) forcing me to manually restart it and now loads very slowly. It runs fine except for whenever it need to load (example: Left 4 Dead 2 take about 10 minutes to load a level, but then runs fine besides the occasional sputter when it loads during play). Other things: whenever I start Windows, it comes up with "Windows update: Configuring 3/3 0%" but then moves onto the login screen. I also tried running Windows update again (I thought maybe it would catch it's own error or something) but I get err...

"..." in file name path
I remember there was one API function that would make long paths short by inserting "..." in path: c:\program files\...\my.xml but I can't remember func name? Try PathCompactPath(Ex) shell functions. "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net> wrote in message news:%23qRW2%23$6EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > > I remember there was one API function that would make long paths short > by inserting "..." in path: > > c:\program files\...\my.xml > > but I can't remember func name? > Try to avoid ever doing thi...

Interactive exel file on the web
I created a very small excel file that I saved as a web page (calculations.htm). More specifically, when I saved it I selected Republish Sheet and add interactivity, then saved it to my desktop. When I opened it up on my desktop everything looked fine. However, when I posted it to my website, as I do will all my new htm pages, the data would not appear. Any suggestions? By the way, the file is a series of calculations that ask for a user to input their weight and I calculate what their daily calorie intake is. Very simple. CP ...

Why does / cause cursor to go to File menu?
Using Excel 2002 SP 3. Why I try to enter / (forward slash) in a cell the corsor jumps to the File menu and the cell remians empty Why? Can I prevent this, if so how? TIA. Hi, Chris. Sounds like you have Lotus 123 settings in your Excel. Go to Tools-Options, Transition tab and untick any Lotus options. ________________________ **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat www.VBAExpress.com/forum ************************ "Chris Mitchell" <chris.a.mitchell@MAPSONbtinternet.com> wrote in message news:cdt5ep$cgf$1@sparta.btinternet.com... > Using Excel 2002 SP 3. > > Why...

RichTextBox saves files in wrong place
I have a small app that contains a RichTextBox which will save its contents to the apps folder and load it whenever the RTB opens again - at least that is what is supposed to happen and in fact used to happen. here is the RTB window load event. It either gets the previously stored save directory if it exists else the current dir. private void TextBoxForm_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { if (Properties.Settings.Default.settingsSaveDirectory.Length != 0) _saveDirectory = Properties.Settings.Default.settingsSaveDirectory; else { Properties.Settings.Default.settings...

priv+stm file much bigger than total pst files
Exchange 2003 SP2/Windows 2002 SP4 Some time ago I added an exchange server, and moved some mailboxes to the new server. Due to problems with speed etc. on the new server, the mailboxes were moved back and forth a few times. I found that the stm file suddenly exploded to a very big size. Thinking this would be resolved with an offline defrag, I tried that with no change at all. I have made pst files of the mailboxes and the figures are: Total of pst files: 9Gb priv1.edb: 7Gb priv1.stm: 33Gb I have run offline defrag again with no change in database size (surprisingly I expected some reduct...

File format vs Version
I see that embedded it states "Access 2002-2003 file format". Will an application built in 03 have any problems running on a machine with 02? -- NTC It shouldn't. It's trying to tell you that the two versions of Access share the same file format. Note, however, that is possible that anytime an application is developed on one machine and run on a different machine, there's always a chance of a problem with the References collection. (Heck, even on the same machine there can be problems if you install new software!) Check http://www.accessmvp.com/DJSteele/AccessRe...

How? Writing the results of a XSL transformation to a string rather than to File
I am a bit of a newbie to C# and would like help with the following. I am bringing in a dataset and transforming that dataset using an XSL style sheet to generate text. This text does in fact contains SQL statements (DBCC commands etc) which I want to capture and run on a SQL Server instance. At the moment I can do this by writing the result of the transformation to file and re-loading it, but would like to skip out the file and write directly into a string. How do I acheive this? Currently my code looks like this; {load DataSet xmltestDS with relational data} XmlDataDocument xmlDoc = new ...

GP 8.0 and SQL 2000 Optimal File Size
I have questions about SQL Server 2000 databases with Great Plains 8.0 and file size. After the upgrade to 8.0 our Company database has ballooned to a whopping 9 GB (including the transaction log). It was 7 GB before the upgrade. It seems really large to me and was wondering what the recommended settings were for the SQL databases with Great Plains. I have looked in the Knowledgebase and haven't found anything to give me good answers. Here are the specs on the Company database: Database Size = 7,184 MB, Space Used = 4,655 MB Log Size = 2,162 MB, Space Used = 76.99 MB Auto G...

FBI FORENSICS CAN FIND DELETED FILES xxxaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaa\a
You're in Serious Trouble - It's a Proven Fact! FBI FORENSICS CAN FIND DELETED FILES THERE ARE THINGS ON YOUR COMPUTER THAT YOU THOUGHT YOU DELETED. !!!!BUT THEY ARE STILL THERE!!! Click here for details on the EVIDENCE ELIMINATOR Clear your computer of incriminating files that you cannot delete. www.removefiles.com THIS IS A MUST READ!!!! www.removefiles.com ewfrgh32gh02439-eftrpewjtrrewgfs dg fd g fds g fds g fds g fds g fds gfds g fd g fdasdsadsadsad fds g fd g fdsg jbn...

size of .pst file
My .pst file was very big (about 600 meg) so I deleted about half my emails from my inbox and then emptied the "Deleted Items" folder. However, when I check the size of the .pst file it remains the same. I'm using windows explorer to view the .pst fil Mike get in to the setting of the pst file and compact your pst file. pst file is like a database and when you move stuff in and out of the folder it creates space in the database, so it will remain the same size. "Mikeceee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3FD9777-A63E-4FA3-B3AB-FC864...

Create file to be sent to IRS for 1099
How do I create 1099's? How do I create a file to be sent to the IRS for 1099's? I would start by reading the Payables manual. It has a section on creating 1099s. For the file, you need to go to a third party solution like Greenshades (www.greenshades.com). -- Charles Allen, MVP "janieb" wrote: > How do I create 1099's? > How do I create a file to be sent to the IRS for 1099's? > > ...

Changing the volume of 2 sound files on the same slides
Hello all, I have background music playing on my PPT while I'm speaking. I would like to know how can I adjust the volume to on the background music to play softly underneath my voice. Thanks in advance! Geo I see you have posted a couple of times on this. The only method I have been able to use is Audacity, a FREE and quite comprehensive sound utility. Put your music (and voice, if you wish) into Audacity and alter the volumes to suit you needs, then export the file as a wav file for use in PowerPoint. You will need to spend a little time playing with Audacity t...

can a hyperlink open to a specific time in a video file?
I hope someone can help me out. The only problem is my hotmail account gets so much junk mail I can't recieve messages on it so and an e-mail to ryan.schaefer@enbridge.com would be much appreciated. thanks Hi, I don't think so. Can you edit the video to the start at the place you need to begin?? sorry i'm not more help to you.. jeff >-----Original Message----- >I hope someone can help me out. The only problem is my hotmail account gets >so much junk mail I can't recieve messages on it so and an e-mail to >ryan.schaefer@enbridge.com would be much apprec...

How many files is an IMC of Exchange using?
Hi everyone, I have an issue with my Exchange 5.5 IMC, which was added after the Exchange, its Service Pack(4), and Hotfixes were installed. I suspect there might be some files, if IMC is not just using MSEXCIMC.exe, mis-matching at version level. Could anyone who knows provide me the info in the subject line? Thanks in advance Eric What is the issue? eric z wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I have an issue with my Exchange 5.5 IMC, which was added after the > Exchange, its Service Pack(4), and Hotfixes were installed. I suspect there > might be some files, if IMC is not just...

Temporary files remain
When saving any office document to a network location, the temporary office files remain. E.g. when saving a.doc to a network location ~a.doc remains. So Im having to delete all the temp files everyday. How do I stop this. Nick wrote: > When saving any office document to a network location, > the temporary office files remain. E.g. when saving > a.doc to a network location ~a.doc remains. So Im having > to delete all the temp files everyday. How do I stop this. Stop using Microsoft Office and start using the free compatible Open Office? :-p You cannot stop the creation ...

conversion to qif or ofx file format
Does anyone know of a conversion utility or plug-in that converts xls to qif or ofx formats...thanks RCofCupertino wrote: > Does anyone know of a conversion utility or plug-in that converts xls to qif > or ofx formats...thanks free plug-in: http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/xl2qif_en.php ...