Have over 300 messages (and growing) i can't open or delete!

Every time I try to access any message, I get an error
message "This program has performed an illegal operation
and will be shut down."

This has happened a few times in the past and I was able
to ignore those messages.  Now every message knocks me out
of the program, some of these messages are about my bills,
and I desperately need to be able to open them!!

PLEASE HELP if you can.  This is my first time to try this
newsgroup.  Thanks.

0
anonymous (74722)

You didn't say what ver of Outlook you are using. Have you tried using Help
/ Detect and Repair?

If that didn't work, my second thought is your .pst file is corrupt. Outlook
does not like to store 300+ messages. Do you have the archiving option
enabled? How often does it archive your messages? How much do you have
archived? Have you tried importing your last archive file back into Outlook?

For future reference, and Im not being mean, just trying to be helpful,
error msg are there for a reason, not to ignore. Try to archive your
messages more often, store less than 100 messages, archive the rest, you can
reimport them later when you need them. Storing 300 emails in your inbox is
only asking for disaster, its not a matter of if but when, as you
unfortunately found out.

I hope the 2nd paragraph tips help, theres alot of good ppl here so someone
more knowlegable can perhaps walk you thru or offer better help.

marx404

0
marx404
12/20/2003 1:40:37 AM
Actually, Marx404, Outlook with large table support is able to store 65,000
folders and 65,000 items per folder.  The OP does not have that many
messages in the in-box.  I have seen people where I works with thousands of
messages.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the
Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out
reading.

marx404 <404@404.com> asked:

| You didn't say what ver of Outlook you are using. Have you tried
| using Help / Detect and Repair?
|
| If that didn't work, my second thought is your .pst file is corrupt.
| Outlook does not like to store 300+ messages. Do you have the
| archiving option enabled? How often does it archive your messages?
| How much do you have archived? Have you tried importing your last
| archive file back into Outlook?
|
| For future reference, and Im not being mean, just trying to be
| helpful, error msg are there for a reason, not to ignore. Try to
| archive your messages more often, store less than 100 messages,
| archive the rest, you can reimport them later when you need them.
| Storing 300 emails in your inbox is only asking for disaster, its not
| a matter of if but when, as you unfortunately found out.
|
| I hope the 2nd paragraph tips help, theres alot of good ppl here so
| someone more knowlegable can perhaps walk you thru or offer better
| help.
|
| marx404

0
MillyS1 (1480)
12/20/2003 3:14:43 AM
Thanks for the advice.  However, I didn't start with 300
msgs - they are accumulating daily, which is one reason I
need to solve this problem ASAP!

0
anonymous (74722)

Outlook delegate-mailbox deletion problem
This sounds like an easy one however, haven't found resolution yet. Here's scenario... User B reported to User A and added A to his delegation for being copied on all meeting request replies (done from Outlook 2000). All was well until User A left the company and mailbox was subsequently archived and deleted. Ever since the mailbox deletion, all attendees accepting a meeting request from User B receive an NDR referencing inability to deliver reply to User A's mailbox. The typical answer would be to open User B's Outlook app, goto delegates and remove User A.. The problem is...

Outlook Express message links all dead!
Incoming mail contains blue underlined links. Pointing to them produces the "hand" icon, but clicking does absolutely nothing. Is there a setting I'm missing that prevents activating links? Something else? Hi Greg The article is about an error message and outlook, but maybe it could solve your problem, too! -- Gestern gings noch, ICH habe nichts gemacht! ;-) Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de "GregS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:609101c474f3$4327c010$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Incoming mail contains blue underlined links. ...

OWA not finishing loading messages
I am using SBS 2003. OWA has been working correctly for days (a miracle in itself, I think :-) ) Today, we have the same problem on all machines inside or outside the LAN. We get the message "Loading..." and no messages show up on the Outlook desktop. If I switch to Calendar, I get "Updating view..." forever If I switch to Contact, I get "loading..." forever. We enabled new virus scanning software: TREND MICRO Office Scan, and wonder if that could be a problem? - Frank Frank Rudolph wrote: > I am using SBS 2003. OWA has been working correctly for days (a &g...

outlook won't automatically receive/send when opened
outlook won't automatically receive/send when opened how do i get it to do this? An answer would require knowing your Outlook version, mail account type, and connection type. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "newbiejw" <newbiejw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EDBE10B5-2D8E-4684-99A8-C8C0F4FDC25F@microsoft.com... > outlook won't automatically receive/send when opened > how do i get it to do this? ...

Cannot open PDF in OWA
Users can't open PDF or other attachments when using OWA. Is this by design or am I missing something in administering our SBS 2003 server? Hi, Is this the errors you experience? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812935/en-us Leif "jeckert" <jeckert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBD8ED6D-233F-4F85-8048-B73427FE711E@microsoft.com... > Users can't open PDF or other attachments when using OWA. Is this by > design > or am I missing something in administering our SBS 2003 server? Leif, No error is given. IE reports that the page is done...

Deleted Accounts in AD
Hello! I am trying to reduce store database sizes by emptying mailboxes of accounts deleted in Active Directory. I tried creating a profile in Outlook but cannot resolve the account name. Is there a way to do this without recreating the account and reconnecting to the mailbox? I would reduce the store sizes by approx. 2 GB. Thank you. -- JoeCL LACO-CAO if you have no need for the data in the mailboxes, just purge them... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "JoeCL" <JoeCL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BA4EE14-82E1-42E7-96F3-F79BA50B5793@microsoft.com... >...

Problem With Opening Attachments
For some reason, when I click on any attachment in received e-mails Microsoft Publisher opens and the attachments cannot be viewed. Does anybody know how to prevent this? It started just a couple of days ago and I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere. Thanks in advance. ...

Export all header information from Inbox messages
Hi I received a lot of undeliverable error messages in my Inbox and I want to be able to flag those addresses as invalid. The only way to see the address is to view the header of each message. What I'm looking for is to be able to export all the header information for all those messages to a file that I can use to update my database. Is it possible? I'm using Outlook 2003 Thanks Josep ...

Is 2003 and open relay by default?
I have recently sent up an exchange 2003 server in our company. It was a fresh install on a 2003 server which is also a fresh install. Is 2003 Exchange an open relay by default? If so, how can I close it? no. by default it is closed to relaying "eotrue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0d5b01c3d949$36fe2090$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have recently sent up an exchange 2003 server in our > company. It was a fresh install on a 2003 server which is > also a fresh install. > > Is 2003 Exchange an open relay by default? If so, how can &g...

"Your message....was read"
I've got a user who claims that every time she sends a message to a particular group of people (about 20), she always gets a read receipt email from somebody it wasn't sent to. I've checked all the recipients mailboxes and i can't find any rules or delegate access that would account for this. I tracked the message on the Exchange server (2000/SP3) and the only thing it shows is that she definitely sent the message and the unintended recipient definitely received it. Based on the tracking info it looks like she intended to send him the message, but looking at the email direct...

Excel sheet (OLE object) sometimes open on the form sometimes in E
Hello there, I have an Excel sheet (OLE object in the table) on a form , I have setup the Property in "Auto Activate" as Double-Click , so when I double click the object the sheet open. But sometime the object appears on the form as an Excel Icon - then when I double click it open in Excel - that is what I want. But sometime it appears as a table of data and when I double click it open on the form - I want to avoid that and instead always have the sheet open in excel. Any idea? Many many thanks, Dan Hi Dan, By default, you can directly double click the OLE Ob...

Emails moved from Sent Items to subfolder moving to Deleted Items instead
We have a problem where a couple of users are moving emails from their Sent Items to folders that are subfolders of their Inbox. However, random emails are moving to the Deleted Items instead. The users have no rules set up, and there is no limit on mailbox size for users. I know it's easy to dismiss them as having made a mistake, but one of the users is pretty competent and has in fact had this problem in the past. Has anyone experienced this problem? ...

CRM Bulk Delete of Activities
We are new to CRM, and in the "testing" phase of implementation. Our marketing group has used smart lists and quick campaign which results in 30,000 open activies (emails). We can respond/delete/acknowledge them 250 at a time via the activities view. Clearly waiting for screen refreshes 120 times would waste a lot of time. Is there a way to "respond" to activies at a campaign level or in bulk? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0108_01C83679.362A3E60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quot...

How to open saved .DBX files?
I saved a folder of e-mails to CD from Outlook Express shortly before my last computer died. I desperately need to open the folder (saved as a .dbx file) by tomorrow, to get my husband (in Portugal watching the footie) the details of his hotel!!I am now running Xp and have both outlook and outlook express(office 2003) I tried open with, but selecting OE takes you into the OE files rather than selecting it as a prog.If I try open with outlook, it just appears as a folder attachment in an e-mail Can anybody help me open this wretched thing??? Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an...

Delegate marks messages as read
Hello everybody, I have the following problem: I configured an Exchange 2003 mailbox on Outlook 2003. On another client I configured (alway on Outlook 2003) a delegate who reads his mailbox and my mailbox. The problem is that when he reads my messages he marks them as read, and unfortunatly this messages are displayed as read on my outlook too. As a result I cannot distinguish which messages are new to me. Is there a way to avoid it? Thanks ...

Opening page
How do I configure Outlook so that when it opens it displays immediately the weekly calendar? Thank you 'Tools|Options|Other|Advanced Options', set "Startup in this folder" to be "Calendar" Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!" KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4 Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com "Jorge Bravo" <open@closed.com> wrote in message news:egO6toXKJHA.5904@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >...

can't open VB editor in Excel 2007 under Vista
I have a spreadsheet with VB code in it. On my XP PC I can edit it without any problem. On my Vista PC, I can run the code, but if I try to edit it I get "error in loading dll". The VB window opens up, but the modules won't. Also, it used to work - I don't know why it stopped. Can anyone help? Thanks! On Nov 11, 3:42=A0am, "Sandy Rosenberg" <srosenb...@bloomfieldct.deleteme.org> wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with VB code in it. =A0On my XP PC I can edit it wit= hout > any problem. =A0On my Vista PC, I can run the code, but if I try to edit = it...

how to create emails with sound when opening
how to create emails with sound when opening Buster <Buster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > how to create emails with sound when opening http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/addingsound.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

Word documents are re-formatted to an undesired font on opening
I have saved documents with an Arial based style but on re-opening the styles have Times New Roman and different font sizes. How did you change the styles? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "KeithCC" <KeithCC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C7387D1-C9F8-4E37-AF7F-7CD79CAC2042@microsoft.com... >I have saved documents with an Arial based style but on re-opening the >styles > have Times New Roman and different font sizes. ...

Problem opening outlook
When I try to open outlook, a message box shows "unable to open your default mail folders. Could not start because a location to send and receive mail could not be found." Evidently I deleted something, but I don't know how or when. My CD installation disk is broken. Is there a way I can fix this problem without re-installing? Or a web site where I can download something? anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I try to open outlook, a message box shows "unable to > open your default mail folders. Could...

selectively deleting cells
I would like to selectively delete alternate rows on an excel worksheet containing a long list of data. i.e. deleting rows/cells A3,A5,A7,A9,A11....A30573 etc. How do i do this quickly without having to use CTRL + select for each specific cell/row? Del, It isn't clear what you mean by "selectively" delete the rows. If you just want to delete every other row, use code like Sub DeleteEveryOtherRow() Dim RowNdx As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False For RowNdx = 30573 To 3 Step -2 Rows(RowNdx).Delete Next RowNdx Application.ScreenUpdating = True E...

New blank document at opening

Deleting email from server
Does anyone know if Outlook 2002 has a setting to automatically delete email from the server after downloading? To what type of server are you connecting? POP3? IMAP? HTTP? Exchange? -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1781501c418f3$1b56cf10$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if Outlook 2002 has a setting to > automatically delete email from the server after > down...

Have over 300 messages (and growing) i can't open or delete!
Every time I try to access any message, I get an error message "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." This has happened a few times in the past and I was able to ignore those messages. Now every message knocks me out of the program, some of these messages are about my bills, and I desperately need to be able to open them!! PLEASE HELP if you can. This is my first time to try this newsgroup. Thanks. You didn't say what ver of Outlook you are using. Have you tried using Help / Detect and Repair? If that didn't work, my second thou...

Outlook automatically downloading selected messages?
Hi all, I have 3 problems and I think they are all related: 1) I did set up my IMAP and HTML mail accounts to download only the headers of the messages it works, but *if I select a message* (without the Reading Pane open) Outlook downloads the message body and Header status icon next to the message changes in "downloaded". 2) This one looks like a bug but I'm sure it is related to the previous one: I compose a message click on "send" and the message goes to the Outbox, *if I select the message* the icon changes to edit mode and the message cannot be sent ...