global removal of 'Arrange by'

After I converted from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003, all
of my messages are 'arranged' by date groupings. I can
see you to switch this off for individual folders (View,
Arrange By, untick Show in Groups) but how can I do it
for all of my folders a once?

Thanks
0
anonymous (74722)

You can redefine your Messages view for this or define your own custom view
and apply it to the folder upon first use.
For instructions on how to redefine the Messages view see;
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/classicview2003.htm

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks

-----
"Larry Podmore" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After I converted from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003, all
> of my messages are 'arranged' by date groupings. I can
> see you to switch this off for individual folders (View,
> Arrange By, untick Show in Groups) but how can I do it
> for all of my folders a once?
>
> Thanks

0
Roady
7/26/2004 10:09:05 AM
Thanks for the reply.

The ungrouping method you suggested is much more long
winded than the method I mentioned in my original message
and it still only applies to the current folder.

Surely there is a method that applies to ALL folders?

Why would Microsoft apply this (new) feature without some
way of turning it off?????
0
anonymous (74722)
7/26/2004 11:27:53 PM
Your way created a view specific to that folder only. This is why editing
your Messages view isn't "global". Therefor it is better to define a new
view and apply it to your folder on first use; saves a lot of headaches
troubleshooting and resetting your view settings per folder so it applies
globally.

--

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The ungrouping method you suggested is much more long
> winded than the method I mentioned in my original message
> and it still only applies to the current folder.
>
> Surely there is a method that applies to ALL folders?
>
> Why would Microsoft apply this (new) feature without some
> way of turning it off?????

0
Roady
7/27/2004 4:49:53 PM
Fixing a folder on first use is fine but I've just
imported several hundred existing folders from Outlook
2000. That's why I'm looking for a global fix.

Any further suggestions please?

thanks
Larry

0
anonymous (74722)
7/28/2004 5:12:41 AM
First reset the view applied to all folders with the /cleanviews command
line switch. Then edit the Messages View by View-> Arrange By-> Current
View-> Define Views...-> select Messages (don't take the shortcut to this)
and modify it

--

> Fixing a folder on first use is fine but I've just
> imported several hundred existing folders from Outlook
> 2000. That's why I'm looking for a global fix.
>
> Any further suggestions please?
>
> thanks
> Larry

0
Roady
7/28/2004 7:23:57 AM
I did that but it still only reset the folder I was in.

Did I miss something?

Thanks for all your follow up Robert

cheers
Larry

0
anonymous (74722)
7/29/2004 7:05:25 AM
That's why I suggested to create your own view and apply it on first use of
the folder. This is a lot less time consuming then troubleshooting it ;-)

You might want to use this code if you really don't want to define your own
view;

'------------------------------------------------------------------
' GlobalDisableShowInGroups - version 1.0
'
' this macro recursively goes through Inbox and all its subfolders
' and disables the annoying "Show in Groups" in Outlook 2003
' You'll see some Outlook instances popping up, but that's ok
'
' (c) Silly Software, 2004

Sub GlobalDisableShowInGroups()
    Dim ns As NameSpace
    Dim Inbox As MAPIFolder

    Set ns = GetNamespace("MAPI")
    Set Inbox = ns.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox)

    TreeDisableShowInGroups Inbox
    '.....add your own top level Folders here (not subfolders)

End Sub

Public Sub TreeDisableShowInGroups(oFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder)
  Dim oSubFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder
  Dim oCB As Office.CommandBar
  Dim oPop As Office.CommandBarPopup
  Dim oCtl As Office.CommandBarControl
  Dim objExpl As Outlook.Explorer

  'open folder in new outlook instance
  oFolder.Display

  'find state of "Show in Groups"
  'NOTE: For WindowsXP in Dutch language, substitute "View" with
"Beeld",
  '"Arrange by" with "Rangschikken op" and "Show in groups" with
"Weergeven in groepen"
  Set oCB = Application.ActiveExplorer.CommandBars("Menu Bar")
  Set oPop = oCB.Controls("View")
  Set oPop = oPop.Controls("Arrange by")
  Set oCtl = oPop.Controls("Show in groups")
  st = oCtl.State
  'if state is ON than change it by executing it
  If (st = -1) Then
    oCtl.Execute
  End If

  'close instance of outlook
  oFolder.GetExplorer.Close

  'Now recursively call any subfolders
  For Each oSubFolder In oFolder.Folders
      TreeDisableShowInGroups oSubFolder
  Next

  'Release objects
  Set oSubFolder = Nothing

End Sub

'------------------------- end ------------------------------

--

>I did that but it still only reset the folder I was in.
>
> Did I miss something?
>
> Thanks for all your follow up Robert
>
> cheers
> Larry

0
Roady
7/29/2004 9:50:26 PM
Thanks for the code

Where/how do I run it? Does it need to be complied, in
what language?

I have many folders which aren't under Inbox - how do I
deal with those?

thanks
Larry

0
anonymous (74722)
8/1/2004 11:53:09 PM
It's VBA so you can place it in the VBA editor in Outlook

I've got no idea who and if the script works. I believe you can define the
root folder in 3rd block. Otherwise ask the otlook.programs_vba group for
assistance

--

> Thanks for the code
>
> Where/how do I run it? Does it need to be complied, in
> what language?
>
> I have many folders which aren't under Inbox - how do I
> deal with those?
>
> thanks
> Larry

0
Roady

Removing port number of mysites
Hi everybody, is it possible to run mysites in a different web application but still be using the same domain name as the default site (without any port numbers)? And each web application also uses its own Application Pool. Our mysite is running in its own Web application using for example port 2000 (as I believe we can't have the same port number for a different web application but please proof me wrong if I misunderstood here something) and should be accessed like the default site. Btw, our SharePoint is published over ISA 2006. Default Site is running on port 80 ...

Removing Border lines and colour for All sheets
Hi Everyone, is it possible to write a macro to run every sheet and just remove border lines and colours for all cells in a sheet for every sheets in a workbook? I know macro is like this but can't really think how I can loop this. Can anyone help? Thanks alot Cells.Select Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalDown).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalUp).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borders(xlEdgeLeft).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borders(xlEdgeTop).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borders(xlEdgeBottom).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borde...

removing Holidays
I'm using Outlook 2007 (under Vista Home Premium, SP1) and just added a set of religious holidays. (Tools \ Options \ Preferences \ Calendar \ Calendar Options \ Add Holidays) I now decided to remove them but do not see a check mark for me to deselect. How do I go about this? Do I have to remove them 'manually'? Thanks, Dave Horne "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message news:eb2Ly12tJHA.1304@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I'm using Outlook 2007 (under Vista Home Premium, SP1) and just added a > set of religious holidays. (Tools \ Options ...

rule that removes flagged items from deleted folder?
I would like to have an outlook 2003 rule that runs on the deleted items folder, and returns to inbox any deleted items that are flagged. This is to prevent accidental deletion of flagged items. create a rule that looks for flagged messages and move them to a new folder - you'll need to use Run Rules now for it to work. Or create a view that shows flagged messages and hides unflagged items and move the flagged items yourself. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ ...

Can't remove Exchange 2000 from server
I get a message that there are still users with mailboxes and Exchange won't remove. I have 3 system mailboxes and 1 renegade mailbox that won't purge or delete from an old 5.5 upgrade. Is there someway to kill these last mailboxes so I can remove it from the organization? The other mail server is an Exhange 2003 box and is doing just fine by itself. Everything else has been done for removal of this Exchange 2000 box except removing the software. Rob by the way, some reason why I can't just remove it in System Manager on the 2003 box? I get the message that says I should do the ...

Removing Footnote Spacing
After removing a footnote in Word 2000 the space remains on the page (along with seperator line if I chose it). In the "normal" view when I click on "footnotes" I tried to "delete" the spacing to eliminate the space but received a dialog box stating it was "not a valid action for footnotes." How do I eliminate the space. The Reference mark in the document is deleted but when clicking on the empty line in "footnotes" the document jumps to where the reference mark originally was. Any solutions? -- G.A.Warren Select a character or...

One CPropertyPage removing another
I've made derived classes out of CPropertyPage and CPropertySheet to make a wizard, but I need the 2nd property page to have the sheet remove the 1st. Here's my OnSetActive(): CWizardSheet *pSheet = GetSheet(); int nThisIndex = pSheet->GetPageIndex(this); if (nThisIndex != 0) pSheet->RemovePage(0); What I'm trying to accomplish is to remove page 0 after it has been Nexted. It seems that this was the wrong way to go about it, and here's why: This seems to remove page 0, but it does weird things to the current one. For one thing, the title of the sheet takes the page 2...

Removing names from invitees when sending an update
Good day!! I usually create meetings where people in my list either accept or decline my invitation for different reasons. If I have to send an update for a change of venue, for example, everyone receives the update, including those who have declined the meeting. Is there a way to have Outlook automatically remove the names of the people who have declined the invitation instead of me, going painfully through the list and manually removing the names one by one? Thank you for your time! Marc Does anyone have a response to this? mtherrie wrote: > Good day!! > > I usually create me...

Deleted Distro group remains in the Global Address book
Windows 2003 Server / Exchange 2003 I removed a distribution group from Active Directory with the name of "Info". I then created a user with the name "Info". Te mailbox works fine, however, the "Info" distribution group shows in the Global Address Book and the user "Info" does not. Thanks for any and all help. Regards, Tom In news:1133388470.939701.148670@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, bombaci@gmail.com <bombaci@gmail.com> typed: > Windows 2003 Server / Exchange 2003 > > I removed a distribution group from Active Directory with the ...

Outlook 2003 Messages hung up in Outbox-can't remove them
I've got 2 messages hung up in my Outbox. 1st email is 1 meg, 2nd email is 4 megs. These sizes haven't been a problem before. I went to the Office 2003 Knowledge Base and what follows is the MS identity, cause, but the solution/fix escapes me. "OL: Sent Messages Remain in Your Outbox View products that this article applies to. This article was previously published under Q291613 SYMPTOMS Sent items may remain in your Outbox folder. Because the items do not leave the Outbox, you do not receive responses to messages, meeting requests, or task requests. In this situat...

removes email text
I just installed Outlook 2007. It is removing email text from some email forwards. Is there some setting in Outlook to disable this? Thank you, Gary outlook does not have setting to remove text. its either the result of malformed html or a firewall or antispam scanner. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.n...

OL Not Removing Messages from Server
I posted this issue about a week ago, but got no responses, so I figured I'd give it another try... I am using OL2007 to connect to a POP server to download my e-mail. I have the setting for the e-mail account to "Leave a copy of messages on the server" checked. I also checked "Remove from server after xx days" and "Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'. Outlook is leaving the messages on the server as requested, but it is not deleting them as requested. Is there something else I need to do for this to work? Thanks, Merg -- Today's...

removing credit limit message box
Does anyone know how to keep the "this transaction exceeds the customer's credit limit" message box from popping up when entering a sales order? The only option that I've found was to give the customers unlimited credit, and we obviously don't want to do that. Is there a reason you don't want to be notified of this? I mean, if you never get informed doesn't the customer essentially have unlimited credit? You could just raise their credit limit to what you determine to be an unreasonable amount. Funker On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:05:03 -0500, Jeanenne <...

How to find and remove duplicate rows in excel?
I want to know a way that you can group together duplicate rows and remove them so each row in the worksheet is unique. Thats not so hard but I also want when removing the row that columns value next to it be summed up i.e. Column A | Column B Y 5 X 10 Y 10 Z 2 would become: - Column A | Column B Y 15 X 10 Z 2 Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated, Thanks http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Stewbo"...

How to remove odd favorites listing on address bar?
On the far right of the address bar (Explorer 8), is a down-pointing arrow which when clicked, lists recent browsing history, and then (on my computer) a very incomplete list of my favorite sites. Is there a way to delete or edit this outdated and incomplete list of favorites? My computer automatically deletes the history when I sign out of Windows, but that darn favs list remains. Thanks for your assistance. OptionA: Menu--.tools-->InternetOptions-->Delete-->uncheck checkbox which says "Preserve favorites Data" OptionB: In your WindowsExplorer...

Distribution List on a GLobal Address List
In Exchange 2003 how do I add a Distrubution list on the Global Address list? I only know how to add it in outlook, but I need to create one on ther global. Thanks in advance On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:45:03 -0400, "Carlos" <palcar@gmail.com> wrote: >In Exchange 2003 how do I add a Distrubution list on the Global Address >list? I only know how to add it in outlook, but I need to create one on >ther global. > >Thanks in advance > Not sure what you are asking. Create the group in AD and mail-enable it and it should be visible by default. You do this v...

Removing Page Breaks In Word
Hi, I have a very long document (around 400 pages), and I want to take out all the manual page breaks. Is there an automatic way to do this? I don't want to have to go through the entire document and remove them manually. Thanks, Matt basho1691@yahoo.com Hi Matt, you can run a Find and Replace to find all the manual page breaks and replace them with nothing. Click on More..., then Special (cursor in Find) and it will give you a list of special types you can search for and insert the proper code in the Find box. Next time, you can type the code if you remember it. Leave the Re...

remove office prof. 2003
The patch package could not be opened... Bummer. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the news groups - mail sent to me will NOT be answered. Having exhausted other help mediums, Tom Arnold asked: | The patch package could not be opened... ...

attachments removed by oe
I can't open attachments sent to my address. I can open the email. However, when I try to open attachment it indicates that "oe removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your email...". This may have happened after I downloaded some security downloads from MS download site. I use Windows 98 and Outlook 6. Any suggestions to solve this problem will be appreciated. I am experiencing the same problem and as with you it started after I downloaded the security updates from MS. It seems to be focusing on pdf files, but I am not sure whether it is getting rid of an...

new user not added to the global address list
I have Exchange 2003 Std and use Outlook 2003 as a client. I recently created a couple of new users and they have not yet "appeareed" in the global address list. I know that stuff and get cached locally so I have been patient. It's been couple of days and a couple of reboots since the users have been added. The check box for "Hide from exchange address lists" is not checked. What could I be missing? -Steve -- NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth are you running Outlook in cached mode? if you look up the user in ADUC, has it been stamped w...

Removal of thousands seperator in downloaded data
I have downloaded data with an open space as thousands seperator, an example is a number like 2 098,67. Excel will not recognize this as a number. How can I remove this thousands seperator so that the number becomes 2098,67? I need to do this to use the data in another program. See other post. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "finney78" <finney78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEE4BBB3-12AB-4DDD-AD0A-F88ADD242B73@microsoft.com... > I have downloaded data with an open space as thousands seperator, an example >...

removing detail from the detailed trial balance
Hello: We conducted training based on data in a test company in this new GP 10.0 implementation. Afterward, we removed all history in that test company, except for GL history which cannot be removed until year-end. And, I conducted a journal entry directly in the GL to set account balances to "0" for go-live (just to get everything back to level playing field). Then, we made a backup of this test company and restored the backup into the live company database for "go-live". In other words, we condcuted a thorough cleaning of that test database and moved it into li...

Offline copy of Global Address List not possible in Outlook 2000?
I have a laptop that is configured for off-line use (Outlook 2000, Exchange 2003) but for some reason I am unable to download the Global Address List for use when not connected the network. I seem remember the option did appear under Tools, Synchronize, Download Address Book... Now the drop down list is empty! The Global Address List can be used fine when on-line. Is this server setting of a corrupt Outlook installation? Many thanks Paul ...

removing office 2003
Our nonprofit was donated a computer with Office professional 2003. We do not have the installation source. How can I get it out of computer. Remove program does not work, message says "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it". Microsoft apparently doesn't want us to use the program but will not allow us to remove it and replace with genuine copy! Help! Donor has been non responsive. ...

Charting Global Company results on a world map
Was wondering if anyone could advise on the existence of a chart or graphic that is a picture of the globe that allows you to update continents or countries with colours based on results eg. Europe = Green (above target) , North America = Red (below target), Asia = Amber (on target). ...