Folders disappearing after compacting file cabinet

Twice, now, I've lost a good chunk of e-mail I've saved in different folders
because I've compacted my file cabinet.  Anything with a file folder named
with E or beyond gets dumped.  A through D only remains.  Any ideas as to
what's going on?  Thanks!

Karen C.

0
Karen

Did you compact or run ScanPST.EXE? I've never heard of a compact deleting
valid data unless, of course, the file was damaged before running the
compact. I hate to ask but do you have a backup of your PST from before this
happened?

"Karen C." <kcunningham @ iglou.com> wrote in message
> Twice, now, I've lost a good chunk of e-mail I've saved in different
> folders because I've compacted my file cabinet.  Anything with a file
> folder named with E or beyond gets dumped.  A through D only remains.  Any
> ideas as to what's going on?  Thanks!

0
vince8328 (2733)
7/29/2005 4:18:22 PM
"Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message
> Did you compact or run ScanPST.EXE? I've never heard of a compact deleting
> valid data unless, of course, the file was damaged before running the
> compact. I hate to ask but do you have a backup of your PST from before
> this happened?

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not knowledgeable in the program.  Actually, I
didn't choose to run it.  Both times this happened, I got one of those
messages asking if it could compact my file cabinet to free up space--or
something along those lines.  I said yes, and . . . poof!  When I opened OE
again, the folders starting E and thereafter were gone.

No, I don't have a backup of my PST.  How would I do that in the future?

BTW, your last name is very interesting to me.  My niece's last name is
Avarello.  (Her dad was from Bronx, NY, but I believe his his grandparents
were Italian immigrants.)

Karen C.

0
Karen
7/29/2005 5:22:19 PM
Ah ha... You mentioned Outlook Express... that might be part of the issue.
This is an Outlook newsgroup. Believe it or not, Outlook & Outlook Express
are entirely different programs with different message files, etc. You might
want to check out this site for help with Outlook Express:
http://www.insideoe.com/

Hmmm, I do/did have relatives from the Bronx & Brooklyn and the spelling of
my last name varied amongst different branches of the family. My grandfather
(same name as me) came straight from Sicily so there's always a chance we're
related :-)

> Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not knowledgeable in the program.  Actually,
> I didn't choose to run it.  Both times this happened, I got one of those
> messages asking if it could compact my file cabinet to free up space--or
> something along those lines.  I said yes, and . . . poof!  When I opened
> OE again, the folders starting E and thereafter were gone.
>
> No, I don't have a backup of my PST.  How would I do that in the future?
>
> BTW, your last name is very interesting to me.  My niece's last name is
> Avarello.  (Her dad was from Bronx, NY, but I believe his his grandparents
> were Italian immigrants.)

0
vince8328 (2733)
7/29/2005 5:45:00 PM
> Ah ha... You mentioned Outlook Express... that might be part of the issue.
> This is an Outlook newsgroup. Believe it or not, Outlook & Outlook Express
> are entirely different programs with different message files, etc. You
> might want to check out this site for help with Outlook Express:
> http://www.insideoe.com/

Thanks so much!  I will go there and see if I can solve my problem.

> Hmmm, I do/did have relatives from the Bronx & Brooklyn and the spelling
> of my last name varied amongst different branches of the family. My
> grandfather (same name as me) came straight from Sicily so there's always
> a chance we're related :-)

My niece's grandfather's name was Charles (died in late '70s or early '80s,
as I recall), and his wife was Eleanor (who passed away just a couple of
months ago).  Their son (Robert) is my niece's father (my sister's
ex-husband).  Charles's parents also came straight from Sicily, too, so I'd
be willing to bet you're related.  Small world <g>.

I will see my sister this weekend, and I will ask her to ask her ex-husband
if he knows anything of Vince Avarello.

Thanks for the OE info!

Karen C.

0
Karen
7/29/2005 7:00:42 PM
P.S.  Your link appears to have just the info I need.  Thanks!

Do you know of a newsgroup specifically for Outlook Express?

Thanks, again!

Karen C.

0
Karen
7/29/2005 7:33:41 PM
As a matter of fact....

microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups
microsoft.public.internet.mail.mac for the Macintosh version of OE
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.internet.outlookexpress.mac&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups

for all the microsoft.public newsgroups). The links under the newsgroup
references are for use with MS's web newsreader (not exactly the best way to
post but it works for some people)

> P.S.  Your link appears to have just the info I need.  Thanks!
>
> Do you know of a newsgroup specifically for Outlook Express?

0
vince8328 (2733)
7/29/2005 10:10:27 PM
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress for OE 6.x
> http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups

That's the one I need!  I couldn't make heads nor tails out of the
abbreviated list in OE.  Thanks so much for all your help!

Karen C.

0
Karen
7/29/2005 10:56:41 PM
Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook] <vince@omegageek.com> wrote:

> As a matter of fact....
>
> microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x
> http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x
> http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress for OE 6.x
> http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups
> microsoft.public.internet.mail.mac for the Macintosh version of OE
> http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.internet.outlookexpress.mac&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups

And these:
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Print PDF files with margins cut
If I print a pdf file with the source listed below, print out with the trimmed edges. In fact I get a technical drawing with the missing information. The same results if I print from explorer context menu. If I open the pdf file with Acrobat and do printing, the printed sheet is correct. How do I properly print the entire PDF file through code? Thanks Regards i forgot the source that i use: Process proc = new Process(); proc.StartInfo.FileName = "c:\\filo.pdf"; proc.StartInfo.Verb = "Print"; proc.StartInfo.CreateNoWindow = true; proc.StartInf...

HTML Help not closing the file
I am using HTML Help to display help information within my Excel program. After I close HTML Help, the file system thinks that the .chm file is still being accessed, and I cannot overwrite the file (although the HTML Help process is closed). Here is the code that I have to open: Call HtmlHelp(0, ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\MyHelp.chm", HH_DISPLAY_TOPIC, 0) or Call HtmlHelp(0, ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\MyHelp.chm", HH_HELP_CONTEXT, 1001) and to close: Call HtmlHelp(0, 0, HH_CLOSE_ALL, 0) ...

Can publisher 2003 open files from publisher 2000
I had an e-mail sent to me with an attatchment of publisher 2000 and I have just installed publisher 2003 and I can't open it. 2003 will open 2000 documents. Disable "script blocking" if you have Norton and Office Plug-ins in Norton options and try again. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "melboy" <melboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B133C378-2FB0-4DEA-95F6-B7AF9F3378A0@microsoft.com... >I had an e-mail sent to me with an attatchment of publisher 2000 and I have > j...

Cannot View Attachment Information in Sent Items Folder
In Outlook 2003 After an email has been sent with an attachment and you go to your Sent Items folder to open it...the Header lists, From: Sent: To: Subject: and Attachment. However, when you print the email, the Attachment does not print. Why? Is the format of email HTML because if it is then it wont list the attachment when printing, from the open message go to Edit and Edit Message and then change the Format from the Format menu and see if the attachment is listed when you now print "Sharon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0ffb01c436b1$95863b...

Exchange 2003 SP1 / public folder / IPM.Post instead of IPM.Note
Hi all, sending E-Mail to mail enabled public folders makes them IPM.Post (like the yellow post-its) instead of makeing them IPM.Note (E-Mail). This is known and a solution is posted in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817809 Well, this says "To resolve this issue in Exchange 2003, install Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1)." and we installed SP1 before we started production -- and still have IPM.Post instead of IPM.Note ! Outlook 2003 does not even offer making a folder of type IPM.Note What is going wrong? IPM.Post performs converions which som...

System.OutOfMemoryException on Large Files)
hello, I get XXX when I run the following code (if and only if the outcome of transformation is beyond 20 MB) With _Xslt .Load(XslFile) .Transform(XmlDocument, Nothing, MyWriter, Nothing) End With If I run this in .NET 2.0 Beta 2, it gets on and it's much faster as well. If run the same on MSXML 4.0, it's works and it's much faster too. Is this a known issue in .NET 1.1 ? Is there a way around it? or do I have to switch to MS XML 4.0 for now? -- Mohammed Banat Mohd Banat wrote: > I get XXX when I run the ...

Recovery of ASD files
My computer crashed and was in the middle of working on two Word files. When I rebooted and started Word I was not given the automatic auto recovery function. I did find the auto recovery (.asd) files and made copies and renamed as .wbk files. I could not open either .asd or .wbk files ("Word cannot open because unsupported file type"). Is there a way to open these files in Word? I was able to open in notepad but most of the data inside the file was not readable. Thanks. ...

exchange 2003 default public folder has storage limits unchecked
Hi all, I have an Exchange organization with all Exchange 2003 SP1 servers running on a combination of Windows 2000 (SP4 + latest patches) and Windows 2003 (+ latest patches). Our problem is that by default every new Public Folder created by users has "Use public store defaults" UNCHECKED under "Storage limits", although the other "Use public folder defaults" under "Deletion settings" and "Age limits" are by default checked. This is on all of our servers. So we have to manually go in the Exchange System manager and make that Storage limits ...

Saving files automatically
Hi, I have a macro to save a number of different versions of my file for different budget holders. When this is run, it recognises that the file already exists and prompts to allow it to be overwritten. Is there some VBA I can add to accept the prompt automatically? Thanks Richard application.displayalerts = false 'your code to save application.displayalerts = true Richard Burton wrote: > > Hi, > > I have a macro to save a number of different versions of my file for > different budget holders. When this is run, it recognises that the file &g...

news icon disappeared from command list
Trying to add Newsgroups to Go menu commands so I can invoke newreader from within Outlook. Supposedly all you have to do is drag the news icon over to the Go Menu from within the customize commands box. Only problem is- after selecting "Go" in the categories column, there is no news icon in the command column to be able to drag over to the Go menu! Any idea how to get it back or some other way to do this? To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to ...

seem to have deleted 'file' and 'edit' from my menu in Word 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm not entirely sure how I have done this! But I cannot seem to get either file or edit to appear on my Word menu, it basically just starts off with 'view'. <br><br>Any help much appreciated!!! In the View menu select Customize Toolbars & Menus. On the Toolbars & Menus page click the name of the Menu Bar, then click the Reset button & see if things are put right when you OK out. -- HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac <Richy78@officeformac.com> wrote ...

Checking if files open prior to running macro
Is it possible to check if a number of files are open prior to running a macro that pulls data from the required files. After testing with a file open, Excel does not prompt you that the files is already open but when trying to save the files to overwrite the original the macro falls down. Thanks in advance!!! This is a repost--newsreader problems. But I did want to add that if you're using xl2k or higher, you can remove the split97 function and just change this line: mySplit = Split97(FileNameToCheck, "\") to mySplit = Split(FileNameToCheck, "\") (Split was a...

DX50 Codec ? Change file preferences in WMP 9?
Hello, Recently re-installed XP Pro after a bad MB. I am still using WMP 9 and I get messages saying I need a "DX50" codec to play some files. Even though these same file types were listed when I installed the program. Two questions..... 1/ Where do I get the DX50 codecs ( that are guaranteed to work ) :) 2/ Where in WMP 9 can I DESELECT some of the file types I chose when I first ran it? I can't seem to find that option anywhere in the program. Thank you, Tinsby Tinsby wrote: > 1/ Where do I get the DX50 codecs ( that are guaranteed to work...

change default outlook folder name
can I changed the default outlook folder names? like Sent Items, Deleted Items, Junk E-Mail etc. because I'm connecting to a IMAP server which has it's own set of folders for the exact same functionality. it's very annoy to have two sets of folders, and I can't seem to change these on the IMAP end, so how I can change the Outlook folders to match my IMAP server, if it's possible. thanks! you can't change the default names. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart...

Delimited Files
Can anyone please tell me what these are and how to fix them. Thanks Les. A delimited file is a file that has a character separating fields (or columns). A common example would be a comma separated file (CSV). When used with Excel, you can tell Excel what the delimiter in the file is and Excel will separate the file fields into columns. (With CSV files, Excel assumes it's delimited by commas). You'd need to be more specific as to the problem as far as fixing one goes. >-----Original Message----- >Can anyone please tell me what these are and how to fix them. > &g...

"Move to folder" doesn't show folder labels
Outlook 2007, Windows 7: The "move to folder" command only shows the icons, not the folder labels/titles. I have to guess which folder might correspond to the subfolder I want to move an e-mail to. How do I get the labels/titles to appear? I've used Outlook for 6 years -- including OUTLOOK 2007 SINCE 'O7 and never had this problem until I migrated to Windows 7. Help!! Thanks. "Teragram7" <Teragram7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED0276B0-703E-4269-96DC-D4327743EA17@microsoft.com... > Outlook 2007, Windows 7: The "...

FileSearch dislikes Zip-files
L.S. FileSearch doesn't report zip-files. Executing the Macro you'll find below, does not list the zip-files that reside in the specified directory. Replacing the FileName "*.zip" by "*.*" lists all files except the zip-files. I've reviewed the contents of the collections PropertyTests and FileTypes, but could not get any results. Using the interactive version at the Excel-sheet, via the menu-options, I got the same results. Kind regards, Hub van de Laar Private Sub ListZipFiles() Dim FS As FileSearch, I As Integer With Application.FileSearch ...

Public folder Access #7
On my exchange 2003 server while i try to access public folder i get an error message "The object is no longer available.Press F5 to refresh to display and try again. ID NO:80040e19 Exchange system manager." On client there is an error message" Unable to display the folder. This folder cannot be opened because there is a configuration problem on the server. Contact your Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator for assistance." Based on the ID NO we have checked the number of settings such as 1) There is only 1 website configured (Virtual Server).The defaul...

Change excel Open default to "all files"
I have a customer who gets lost when he tries to open a lotus file with excel 2000. Is there any way to change the file->open default file type of "all microsoft excel files" to "all files?" >-----Original Message----- >I have a customer who gets lost when he tries to open a >lotus file with excel 2000. Is there any way to change >the file->open default file type of "all microsoft excel >files" to "all files?" >. > That was the wrong email address...too many. My real email is jvinicky@hotmail.com. Thanks! I do...

How do I shrink an xlsx file after cutting a big data worksheet?
I deleted an Excel 2007 worksheet that contained lots of data (approx. 40% of initial spreadsheet size). It resaved to the disk at its previous disk size. What do you do to save the file in its new, smaller size, i.e. compress it? I'm new to Excel 2007, previously using Excel XP, so I figure there is some option to check/uncheck to make this work. I just haven't found it yet. Thanks for the pointers. If you deleted a worksheet itself the file size will be smaller. If you simply cut or cleared the contents of a worksheet then Excel thinks those cleared cells are still bein...

Office 2007 Help files
Did Microsoft recently change the way the Help facility <F1> works? It seems to me, as someone who used it quite a bit, that they have made a major change, which was certainly not an improvement. On May 17, 4:45=A0pm, Kelli <Ke...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Did Microsoft recently change the way the Help facility <F1> works? > It seems to me, as someone who used it quite a bit, that they have made a > major change, which was certainly not an improvement. Hi Kelli, yes I have noticed that it changed about a month ago now or so. Hi Kelli, In wh...

Contact groups/folders
I am still using WXP and and Outlook Express but planning to change to W7 and WLM. I have installed WLM as my second email client and imported all message folders and the OE address book (WAB). My only problem is with the Contacts list in WLM. In the OE Address Book I stored my contacts divided into in 3 separate folders (sub-directories), e,g. Family, Friends, etc. On importing the contacts into WLM these separate folders disappeared. I can create new contact categories in WLM but that is not the same thing. When I start a new WLM email and click on To: I would like to be ab...

Automatic updates of a Publisher file
Is there a way to automatically populate data in a Publisher file? My company has a catalog/price list that is based in Publisher. We issue this catalog to 3 different regions that all have different pricing. If there is a change to a description, a price, etc., I must manually update all three versions of the file. Is there a way that I can create a single Excel file with three different prices, that would automatically feed into Publisher? That way, I would only have to make the change in one place, but the changes would be seen in the Publisher document. Thanks. Mike ...

CSV File
I am opening a common delimted file in Excel and formating 2 fields as "text" to retain leading zeros. They appear correctly in Excel. I then need to save as a "csv" file and retain the leading zeros. How can I do this? The zero's always drop off in the csv file when retrieved again in excel. TIA hi, do you need to save the csv every time, if you save I agree it will remove the zeros. There is no perfect solution to this but if your file format is standard, you may consider preparing a excel template with the repeate, concencanate and left and right formul...

"File As" feature option in Contacts (OL98)
I can't remember ho wto change the default order of naming contacts. I would like all my Contacts to be saved as "First Name Last Name" but when I edit a contact my default is "Last Name, First Name". I have looked in the Options but can't find what I am missing to do. Please help! Thanks Tools-> Options-> tab Preferences-> button Contact Options... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "��" <news@kidsnews.au.org> ...