finding all addresses in an exchange system

Being relatively new to Exchange and Outlook, I'm looking for the best
way to implement a situation where there is a generic email account
that the outside world sends to that a number of people need to
monitor.

Right now what I have done is set up an email enabled Public Folder and
simply give permissions to that folder to the appropriate people.  I
also hide that address so it doesn't display in the GAL, since there is
no reason for internal folks to write to that address.

However, one problem I see with this scenario is I can't find an
effective way to look at all email addresses in the system.  If I
continue creating these email enabled folders how do I keep track of
them?

Is it better just to create an account in AD and a mailbox for the
generic address?  That seems cumbersome because then I have to remember
passwords for each account as well as create a profile on my machine
for that account in Outlook (or use OWA).  Advice please!

0
acalenti (1)

It's really up to you. You can create a new OU in AD and put all such =
accounts there as mailboxes. Or you can create them all under the same =
parent folder in Public Folders.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
"agcintucson" <acalenti@gmail.com> wrote in message =
> Being relatively new to Exchange and Outlook, I'm looking for the best
> way to implement a situation where there is a generic email account
> that the outside world sends to that a number of people need to
> monitor.
>=20
> Right now what I have done is set up an email enabled Public Folder =
and
> simply give permissions to that folder to the appropriate people.  I
> also hide that address so it doesn't display in the GAL, since there =
is
> no reason for internal folks to write to that address.
>=20
> However, one problem I see with this scenario is I can't find an
> effective way to look at all email addresses in the system.  If I
> continue creating these email enabled folders how do I keep track of
> them?
>=20
> Is it better just to create an account in AD and a mailbox for the
> generic address?  That seems cumbersome because then I have to =
remember
> passwords for each account as well as create a profile on my machine
> for that account in Outlook (or use OWA).  Advice please!

0
suemvp (4038)
8/2/2006 8:44:44 PM

In news:1154542291.648965.56820@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com,
agcintucson <acalenti@gmail.com> typed:
> Being relatively new to Exchange and Outlook, I'm looking for the best
> way to implement a situation where there is a generic email account
> that the outside world sends to that a number of people need to
> monitor.
>
> Right now what I have done is set up an email enabled Public Folder
> and simply give permissions to that folder to the appropriate people.
> I also hide that address so it doesn't display in the GAL, since
> there is no reason for internal folks to write to that address.
>
> However, one problem I see with this scenario is I can't find an
> effective way to look at all email addresses in the system.  If I
> continue creating these email enabled folders how do I keep track of
> them?
>
> Is it better just to create an account in AD and a mailbox for the
> generic address?  That seems cumbersome because then I have to
> remember passwords for each account as well as create a profile on my
> machine for that account in Outlook (or use OWA).  Advice please!

You can still find any SMTP addresses in use in ADUC....whether hidden or
not.

Note that with shared mailboxes, you do have to create a user, but don't
need to care what the PW is - just grant yourself/a group Full Mailbox
Access rights (and perhaps Send As).

How many of these sorts of generic SMTP addresses are there, btw? Any reason
you can't just assign them all to the same PF or mailbox or whatever?

0
lanwench (7567)

How to use outlook address in Excel
Hello, I have an Excel sheet which I use as an invoicing-application. I would like to retrieve address-data from Outlook where I keep all my contact-data of my customers. So, I want to select a customer from my Outlook contactlist when I am writing a new invoice in Excel. In Word, I have a macro which does this, but unfortunately the Application.GetAddress does not work in Excel. Can somebody help me ? "Henny Slokker" wrote: > Hello, > > I have an Excel sheet which I use as an invoicing-application. I would like > to retrieve address-data from Outlook where I...

Mailbox on Exchange Front-End Server
Can you create a mailbox on an Exchange 2003 Front-End Server? When you make Exchange a FE server, it then assumes all internet protocols are to be proxied to the BE servers. It can't proxy to itself. If you put mailboxes on it, only MAPI connections could reach them. Depending on your deployment, there may be security implications of allowing that. Can you? I think so. Should you? Probably not. William "John Blake" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19f8501c44d87$e00c6950$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Can you create a mailbox on an Exchange 20...

Exchange Extension Error
I'm trying update an email address and an error pops up. Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension A Local Error has occured. Facility: Win32 ID no:8007203b Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension Everything else seems to be working ok. Any ideas? Thanks, Q does this apply? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329642 "Quan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1a2001c4abc4$e8f2ea30$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > I'm trying update an email address and an error pops up. > > Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange...

End user wants to create items in Global Address List
I have an end user who wants to be able to create distribution lists and entries in the global address list. Any idea how I can configure him to do this? Douglas he would have to have Exchange permissions, and that isn't a particularly good idea... "Douglas McIver" <douglas@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OFGd$QhiEHA.1104@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have an end user who wants to be able to create distribution lists and > entries in the global address list. Any idea how I can configure him to do > this? > > Douglas > > ...

Problems with address books
I've had to re-install outlook '97 a couple of times to sort out some problems. Now I find that contacts isn't the default mail list. That's to say when I want to send an email the list of people is from an old address book and not from the contact list I have in front of me! How do I make sure that when I want to send an email or fax that I'm presented with a choice from my contact list? How can I safely delete the old address books which are now a waste of space? Peter ...

exporting to address book
I want to export address's from excell into address book for the mac. DIF is not available and have tried other formats to no avail. Anyone know how to do this. I have 1000 names, address's, phone numbers and email address's and wish to email to this group. Thanks Scotty Scotty I would look at either csv or txt output (File>Save as...), there are very few address books in the PC world certainly that don't offer these import formats -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Scotty&...

are scripts allowed in exchange 2003?
I used to run a few scripts in exchange 5.5, and now that I'm upgrading to 2003 I can't find how to implement these scripts. How do I keep using my scripts from exchange 5.5 in exchange 2003? Can you give us a bit more information regarding your scripts? Are they VBS accessing WMI information, batch files utilizing resource kit (reskit) utilities, etc. Scripting works with Exchange 2003 and Active Directory...I tinker with VBScripts. I have also used batch scripts to manage Exchange 2000 with the reskit utils. Bob "gigi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

2 accounts being sent under one address
I currently have two accounts in my Outlook 2000. xxx@provider.net & PPP@provider.net. The PPP@provider.net is the primary account. When sending an email from the xxx@provider.net, it still shows as the PPP@provider.net address, so in turn I get any replies to the xxx@provider.net back to the PPP@provider.net. Is there any way to make the reply address or the address of sender shown to the xxx@provider.net account? You said you had 2 accounts. You then listed 2 email addresses. Those are not the same thing. Clarify your post. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "jeepstr9" ...

Where can I delete an old/incorrect email address?
I'm using Outlook 2003 So I have, say, Sandy in my contacts book. Her email is SW@...... Later her email changes to SAW@...... I make the change in my contacts. But when I'm creating a new email and I start to type "Sandy..." in the TO field, it still finds the old "SW@..." address. Why? How can I delete that old & incorrect address forever? (Without starting from scratch and loosing all my old email?) Thanks Gary use arrow keys to highlight 'bad' address then hit delete btn "jabadoodle" <jabadoodle@yahoo.com> wrote in message n...

Exchange 2003 Enterprise and several mailbox stores
Is there any limitation on how many mailbox stores in a administrative group you can create? For now we have 4 mailbox groups and 1 public folder, when trying to create one more Mailbox-group i get this errormsg: This storage group alreday contains maximum number of stores allowed. ID no: c1034a7a I thought that Enterprise edition had no limit. Kind Regards Peter Kulinski You can create up to 4 storage groups, each containing a maximum of 5 stores. Enterprise Edition has a limit of 20 stores. The 'no limit' you've heard about probably applies to the sizes of each of t...

the same outbound SMTP address for multible users
Hi group Her is a tricky one Is it possible to configure Microsoft Exchange 2003 recipients so the emails seems to be comming from the same sender SMTP address e.x. info@domain.com when the sends email outside the organisation (not internal) it must be done on the server level and not in Outlook using "From" field Thanks in advance B.Hansen MCP Denmark On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 21:25:12 +0100, "Bjarne Hansen" <bhansen1@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi group > >Her is a tricky one >Is it possible to configure >Microsoft Exchange 2003 recipients so the emails see...

Exchange server recovery
I am running 2 exchange servers in a Windows 2000 AD domain. My 2nd Exchange server has failed and Dell is sending a replacement server. I know that I can run setup and use the /disasterrecovery switch to reinstall Exchange on this new box. My question is: how do I install the replacement server into the domain with the domain already having a server by that name? In other words Poly_ethylene has failed and when I get its replacement I will be loading server onto this box and putting it back into the domain using the same name. How can I do this? I have a full bakup of C: and sys...

Exchange rules
Hi Our company uses Exchange5.5 and Outlook 2000 email clients. Does anyone know if it is possible to 'deploy' a standard set of rules to all mailboxes, which will be in addition to those already set up by the users using their rules wizard. eg. create a rule for everyone where when a mail with a certain subject is received, it is flagged up on their mail client Thanks for any help R ...

Finding the last line on a spreadsheet
If hitting the Ctrl - Home buttons will find the first entry on a spreadsheet, what is the quickest way to find the last line. does anyone know of a website with these types of shortcuts. Ctrl-End will send you to the last line. in the Excel Help, select "Hotkey" and you'll get a list of all the different keyboard shortcuts. "derwood" <darren.irvine@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1131173033.742797.236360@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > If hitting the Ctrl - Home buttons will find the first entry on a > spreadsheet, what is the quickest way to find ...

Exchange 2003 OWA #5
I accidentally killed my default website that contained the exchange virtual directories. Can someone tell me how to recreate them? Thanks ...

how to find on screen amimated character
how do u get an animated screen character to come up on ur screen? i have windows vista Hello LFGuard395, I'm sorry there are no animated screen characters in the Microsoft Project software, so I am guessing that you are not discussing Project? I suggest looking again at the software program you are trying to view the animated screen character in (Word?, Excel?) and then reposting your question to the appropriate newsgroup. See the listing at: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/Office I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Pr...

GAB replication between Exchange 2003 and 5.5
Hello We have exchange 5.5 server in our organization. address book is replicating with Exchange 5.5 of another organization. We want to migrate to Exch2003. How can I remain replication? Thank You! Keep the existing of Exchange SRS Server which is the first Exchange Server 2003 installed under Exchange 5.5 Organization. and keep the Exchange 5.5 Server which has the GAB. do not remove any exchange 5.5 server. Alaa Al-Ankar "Shurick" <Shurick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF178F7C-F241-4E75-9F07-95AA8BC04E98@microsoft.com... > Hello > > We...

Address Lists #4
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_006A_01C524AC.4E5782E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Does anyone know of a solution (MS, script or 3rd Party) to get the = 5000+ external contacts I have in public folders into an address list? = I know how to set that up on clients to display the public folder. Some = people need access to 5 or so different PF and we are looking at various = CRM solutions that would created more nested public folder contact = lists... just looking for another solutions...

one for you Exchange super geniuses
Assume I have a Small Business Server 2003 network with an Exchange orginization called @abc.com We use the Exchange POP connector to retrieve email on an external POP3 server. This external domain is also called @abc.com We have an address called user1@abc.com which copies all its email to a second email account called user2@abc.com The reason for the copying is that the user2@abc.com address ends up at a PDA device. The Exchange server in the office doesn't check the user2 account. This all works fine. The problem is when a user on the network in the abc.com domain tries to send...

EXchange Active sync users limit
We have been using the Treo 650 smart phones with some amount of success with the Exchange ACtive Sync. We have Approx. ten users who use this functionality right now. We tried adding another person to allow him to use this functionality but for some reason he gets this error when he tries to sync. "There was a problem syncing messages (Sys 05E5) Server returned error for last command. Status:5 None of our other users get this error. And if they did, all Treo users got the error, which was remedied by adjusting the properties to the Exchange Mobile virtual directory. Now no on...

backup of exchange 2003
hi, i have a question about exchange 2003 which is a member server in an AD domain, and not a domain controller. this is for a small size company, where in the event of the mail server failure there will be time to build a new server from scratch and restore databases. My question is, when building a new exchange server, should I restore the system state data after installing the OS and patches? Starting the exchange 2003 installation in disaster recovery mode will automatically get the exchange specific settings from AD. This suggests I can rebuild a new exchange server and restore t...

exchange tools listed twice in ADUC right click
We installed exchange but forgot to install the tools option so we did it after. When that happened it locked up with errors part of the way thru. When I restarted after a system reboot and installed them again it now listed in the active directory users and computers extensions twice when you right click on an object. I removed the tools, it removes both entries. I reinstalled and now both entries are back. Where can I find these entries in AD and remove the duplicate. Thanks Comments inline below. -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutio...

Plae Help urgent! Recover exchange in a new active directory insta
Hi friends, i nedd your help, i lost my forest and i am trying to recover from backup, but i dont know if this works to active directory knows the exchange, i have to follow some procedure to do that, And if i cant recover my forest y should install a new active directory, and install exchang again, wich is the best way to recover the data from exchange, copy the db's to the exhang database path or what i should do to do that? Thanks a lot for your help Felipx start here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;867704 "Felipex" <Felipex@discussions.micr...

CRM 3.0 LaptopClient installation won't find Outllook 2007
Hi all, I tried to install the LaptopClients of my CRM 3.0 on my WinXP SP2 with Office 2007 machine. The installations stops, by saying me: "Es konnte nicht ermittelt werden, ob eine unterst´┐Żtzte Version von Microsoft Outlook installiert ist. Weitere Informationen finden Sie in der Protokolldatei 'C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\" which means basicly, "...couldn't figure out, if an supported Version of Outlook is installed". On the other hand, when I Start Outlook at the same time it says me at the same time "...please close Outlook for installation"...

SetUp Exchange OWA 5.5 on WIN 2000 Server
Hi, I have using a Windows 2000 Server WIth Exchange 5.5 SP4 ANd I setup a OWA on Exchange 5.5, When I open it on IE , It display Error Type: Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01A8) Object required: 'Application(...)' /exchange/USA/logon.asp, line 12 And I Check on MIcrosoft Website http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;248718 Follow his step to Fix it .. See . RESOLUTION To resolve this problem: 1.. Start the Internet Information Server (IIS) Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in, and expand the Transaction Server folder. 2.. Click Computers, click My ...