favorite folders #10

OL 2003, Windows XP home, SP3

Some of my Favorite Folders disappeared so I right clicked on them in
All Mail Folders. However, when I close and then reopen Outlook the
new folders are not in the Favorite Folders area.

I noticed that it was suggested to use Start/Run: OUTLOOK.EXE /
resetnavpane for this problem, so I tried this twice and all I got was
two more lists of Personal Folders under All Mail Folders.

How can I get the Favorite Folders to remain and can I delete the two
new Personal Folders, or will that delete all my personal folders?

Thank you.

Caryl

Are these two Personal Folders mirror images?

"Caryl" <c.dreiblatt@verizon.net> wrote in message
> OL 2003, Windows XP home, SP3
>
> Some of my Favorite Folders disappeared so I right clicked on them in
> All Mail Folders. However, when I close and then reopen Outlook the
> new folders are not in the Favorite Folders area.
>
> I noticed that it was suggested to use Start/Run: OUTLOOK.EXE /
> resetnavpane for this problem, so I tried this twice and all I got was
> two more lists of Personal Folders under All Mail Folders.
>
> How can I get the Favorite Folders to remain and can I delete the two
> new Personal Folders, or will that delete all my personal folders?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Caryl

0
notvalid5776 (249)
8/20/2009 9:14:01 PM
All three Personal Folders lists are identical.

On Aug 20, 5:14=A0pm, "DL" <notva...@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote:
> Are these two Personal Folders mirror images?
>
> "Caryl" <c.dreibl...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> > OL 2003, Windows XP home, SP3
>
> > Some of my Favorite Folders disappeared so I right clicked on them in
> > All Mail Folders. However, when I close and then reopen Outlook the
> > new folders are not in the Favorite Folders area.
>
> > I noticed that it was suggested to use Start/Run: OUTLOOK.EXE /
> > resetnavpane for this problem, so I tried this twice and all I got was
> > two more lists of Personal Folders under All Mail Folders.
>
> > How can I get the Favorite Folders to remain and can I delete the two
> > new Personal Folders, or will that delete all my personal folders?
>
> > Thank you.
>
> > Caryl

Can someone please help me recover my Favorite Files. Another site
said to delete the XML file. However, I cannot find it. I followed the
path where it should be and there were only three items: Extend (a
video CD move), an Outlook text document (1kb), and the Outlook Data
file. Start/Search showed that there is a 5KB XML document there.

Please help. Thanks.

On Aug 20, 12:42=A0pm, Caryl <c.dreibl...@verizon.net> wrote:
> OL 2003, Windows XP home, SP3
>
> Some of my Favorite Folders disappeared so I right clicked on them in
> All Mail Folders. However, when I close and then reopen Outlook the
> new folders are not in the Favorite Folders area.
>
> I noticed that it was suggested to use Start/Run: OUTLOOK.EXE /
> resetnavpane for this problem, so I tried this twice and all I got was
> two more lists of Personal Folders under All Mail Folders.
>
> How can I get the Favorite Folders to remain and can I delete the two
> new Personal Folders, or will that delete all my personal folders?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Caryl

I solved the problem by doing a system restore to yesterday's date.
After doing that I opened Outlook again and I had no Favorite Files at
all. So I brought both the folders that are normally there and the few
that I elect to have there to the Favorite Files area and this time
after I closed and reopened Outlook they were still all there.

> Can someone please help me recover my Favorite Files. Another site
> said to delete the XML file. However, I cannot find it. I followed the
> path where it should be and there were only three items: Extend (a
> video CD move), an Outlook text document (1kb), and the Outlook Data
> file. Start/Search showed that there is a 5KB XML document there.

You perhaps still have the option to view hidden files and folders disabled
and you have hiding of known file types enabled.  The file "Extend" is
"extend.dat", so you must have ".dat" files associated with an application
that views video files.  The "Outlook Data File" is your PST, with the file
type ".pst".  It's hard to say what the text file is.  Use Notepad to look at
what it contains.  Outlook doesn't use text files particularly.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
8/21/2009 12:02:35 PM
On Aug 21, 8:02=A0am, "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]"
<tillman1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Caryl" <c.dreibl...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> > Can someone please help me recover my Favorite Files. Another site
> > said to delete the XML file. However, I cannot find it. I followed the
> > path where it should be and there were only three items: Extend (a
> > video CD move), an Outlook text document (1kb), and the Outlook Data
> > file. Start/Search showed that there is a 5KB XML document there.
>
> You perhaps still have the option to view hidden files and folders disabl=
ed
> and you have hiding of known file types enabled. =A0The file "Extend" is
> "extend.dat", so you must have ".dat" files associated with an applicatio=
> that views video files. =A0The "Outlook Data File" is your PST, with the =
file
> type ".pst". =A0It's hard to say what the text file is. =A0Use Notepad to=
 look at
> what it contains. =A0Outlook doesn't use text files particularly.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Thanks for responding, Brian.

"Show hidden files and folders" is checked in Window Explorer/Tools/
Folder Options/View. Although I do not need it now, I would like to
find the XML file in case I need it in the future. Any other ideas how
I can do that?

The .dat file is a 968 bytes video CD movie which indicates that it
opens with Nero ShowTime. However, it would not open with this
program. Nero has been having problems recently so I have not been
using it. Should I just leave the file where it is?

I know what the .pst file is, and I have backed it up previsouly.

The text file is:

Microsoft (R) Inbox Repair Tool
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1995-1996. All rights reserved.

**Beginning NDB recovery

Attempting to...

Is there any reason for me to keep this file?

Thanks again for your help.

> "Show hidden files and folders" is checked in Window Explorer/Tools/
> Folder Options/View. Although I do not need it now, I would like to
> find the XML file in case I need it in the future. Any other ideas how
> I can do that?

It's in %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook

> The .dat file is a 968 bytes video CD movie which indicates that it
> opens with Nero ShowTime. However, it would not open with this
> program. Nero has been having problems recently so I have not been
> using it. Should I just leave the file where it is?

It's not really a video file.  You just have Nero ShowTime associated with DAT
files.  Outlook doesn't care.  If you delete this file with Outlook closed,
Outlook will just create a new one the next time you run it.

> The text file is:
>
> Microsoft (R) Inbox Repair Tool
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1995-1996. All rights reserved.

It appears to be just a log of a prior run of SCANPST.EXE.  It is safe to
delete.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
8/21/2009 6:19:50 PM
On Aug 21, 2:19=A0pm, "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]"
<tillman1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Caryl" <c.dreibl...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> > "Show hidden files and folders" is checked in Window Explorer/Tools/
> > Folder Options/View. Although I do not need it now, I would like to
> > find the XML file in case I need it in the future. Any other ideas how
> > I can do that?
>
> It's in %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook

I found it there. Which brings me to another question. Outlook Data
File is also there with 19 KB. However, when I add Local Settings and
then go to Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook, I find the three files
I mentioned earlier. The Outlook Data File is 1.26 GB. I know that
this one is the one to be backed up, but what is the smaller data
file?

Thank you.

> I found it there. Which brings me to another question. Outlook Data
> File is also there with 19 KB. However, when I add Local Settings and
> then go to Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook, I find the three files
> I mentioned earlier. The Outlook Data File is 1.26 GB. I know that
> this one is the one to be backed up, but what is the smaller data
> file?

%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook is the default
folder Outlook uses when you create a new PST.  If you see more than one PST
there, you created them there at some point.  If one of them is named
"Archive.PST", then Outlook's AutoArchive feature created it.  It is unusual
to see PSTs in %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook, but Outlook really doesn't care
where you locate a PST.  For example, I keep mine in "My Documents\Outlook
Files".  As long as you have permission to create files in the folder and as
long as when you do, the file you create allows you read/write permissions,
then you can create the PST in that folder.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
8/24/2009 12:00:18 PM
On Aug 24, 8:00=A0am, "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]"
<tillman1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Caryl" <c.dreibl...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook is the de=
fault
> folder Outlook uses when you create a new PST. =A0If you see more than on=
e PST
> there, you created them there at some point. =A0If one of them is named
> "Archive.PST", then Outlook's AutoArchive feature created it. =A0It is un=
usual
> to see PSTs in %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook, but Outlook really doesn't ca=
re
> where you locate a PST. =A0For example, I keep mine in "My Documents\Outl=
ook
> Files". =A0As long as you have permission to create files in the folder a=
nd as
> long as when you do, the file you create allows you read/write permission=
s,
> then you can create the PST in that folder.

Brian,

I have one more question regarding this. Thanks for being so patient
with me. Since the large PST file is in the default folder User Profile
\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook, can I just delete
the small (19 KB) PST file that is in Application Data/Microsoft/
Outlook?

Actually, I have a second question. Since you brought up the archive
PST file, what is the advantage of archving files if Outlook works
well without doing that. If I do archive, do I just open the archive
file that is in the Outlook default folder if I need something in it?

> I have one more question regarding this. Thanks for being so patient
> with me. Since the large PST file is in the default folder User Profile
> \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook, can I just delete
> the small (19 KB) PST file that is in Application Data/Microsoft/
> Outlook?

19KB should be too small for a viable PST.  As long at it doesn't show in the
Data Files section of your mail profile, you can delete it, provided it
contains nothing of value to you.  Open it in Outlook and see.

> Actually, I have a second question. Since you brought up the archive
> PST file, what is the advantage of archving files if Outlook works
> well without doing that. If I do archive, do I just open the archive
> file that is in the Outlook default folder if I need something in it?

Using AutoArchivre allows you to keep your main folder set organized with only
those items you find of current value.  Older items you wish to keep for
historical reasons but do not need to be active can be archived.  They're
available when you need them by opening the file, but they're not part of your
day-to-day information.  In versions of Outlook prior to 2003, archiving was
more often necessary in order to keep the size of the PST below its 2GB limit.
WIth current Outlook versions, archiving due to size is much less a
requirement, but systems analysis shows that people have a harder time keeping
track of a large number of items, so archiving is handy for organizational
purposes.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
8/25/2009 12:45:24 PM
On Aug 25, 8:45=A0am, "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]"
<tillman1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Caryl" <c.dreibl...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Brian,

Thank you very much for all your help. I learned a lot.

Caryl
You can try a popular Outlook recovery tool called Advanced Outlook
Repair to repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool to recover
messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft
Outlook PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe
Good luck!
Wangdong

0
wangdong (38)

Public Folders In different routing/administrative groups
Hi guys! I know this is a real mess, but I have an exchange 2000 org, (not native yet we have some 5.5s out there) with 2 different administrative groups with 2 different routing groups. Each admin/routing group has a 2003 sp2 exchange server running in it right now. One of those 2003 exchange servers has all of our public folders on it, and I would like to replicate those public folders to our other 2003 exchange server in the other administrative/routing group. Is there a reason why I should not do this? Thanks guys! Mike Not at all and probably makes sense from a user perspect...

Find and Replace Permissions change on Public Folders
OK, I've been tasked with changing permissions on Hundreds of public folders. We are bringing up a thousand new security groups in a new naming convention, they are going to replace Mail enabled security groups currently assigned to public folders. How can I simplify this process? Is there a tool that performs a function like "subinACL" that will perform a Find/Replace on public folders? pfDavadmin might be able to help you out. It can export permissions and you can modify the permissions file and then import them back. "dnilson@gmail.com" wrote: > OK, I'...

test 05-05-10
Am unable to post queries, just testing ...

Error Message 02-28-10
My computer has been really slow so Norton offered a free PC checkup. I did all the steps that they suggested but I believe that I did something wrong and keep gettinga message box that says: Error Loading c:\ProgramFiles\Wildtangent\Apps\CDA\cduEngine0400.dll I don't know how t stop this box from popping up on startup. Please help.. Thanks, Val Contact Norton Support? Valerie wrote: > My computer has been really slow so Norton offered a free PC checkup. I > did > all the steps that they suggested but I believe that I did something wrong > and keep gettin...

Can I move an old user's email to a public folder?
I am running Exchange 2000 and would like to move some ex-employees emails to a public folder accessed by a select few. The employee's account is disabled, but his email is still active because of the nature of our business. Is this possible? Thank you in advance. Frank On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 07:47:02 -0700, Zach <zach@news.postalias> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2000 and would like to move some ex-employees emails to >a public folder accessed by a select few. The employee's account is >disabled, but his email is still active because of the nature of our >bu...

Crosstab Report 02-25-10
Thank you for taking the time to look into this problem. Using Access2007, How can I create a report that looks like this?: ‘ ColumnHead (AuditorID) ‘ Satisfactory Unsatisfactory RowHead1(FloorProgName) RowHead2(FloorProgCriteriaShortDetails) 0 1 RowHead2(FloorProgCriteriaShortDetails) 1 0 RowHead2(FloorProgCriteriaShortDetails) 2 0 RowHead2(FloorProgCriteriaShortDetails) ...

Importing messages and files to Favorite Folders
have my POP email accounts set up in WLM. I imported all my message folders .They went in to Imported Folder. My question is how can I move the folders into my Pop email account Folder. I have a pop server account named: 1st Account BOB Inbox Drafts Sent Items Junk email Deleted 2nd Account JOHN Drafts Sent Items Junk Items Deleted Items Imported Folders Drafts Sent Deleted Imported Folder (1) Under Folder (1) are all my imported Folders with my email messages in them. How can I get these Folders into Bob's account Thanks in Advance Doug ...

Upgrading from GP 9 to GP 10

Inbox- Missing files/folders
This is the second time this has happened, I wonder if anyone can help. > Without any warning all the files and sub folders under my Inbox in Outlook > Express disappear totally but files in the Sent, Outbox, Deleted folders etc are all okay. Can > anyone tell me where they went and how to get them back. > Cheers. Hello, Please take a look at the following article. 321505 OLEXP: Outlook Express E-Mail Messages Are Missing from the Inbox Folder http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321505 If you check inbox.dbx file and there is no content of previous mail items, then there is n...

User Access Error 09-10-03
Well I have finally managed to install MS CRM (after a little frustration to say the least). Now when I go to http://localhost to add an MS CRM user as per the Imp. Guide, I get the following error: ** User Access Error The logged on user is either not a Microsoft CRM user, is disabled in the system, has not been assigned any security roles, or has not been assigned a license. ** How do I assign a specific user a license ? Any help/thoughts on this error would be greatly appreciated Cheers Sarah login as the user who installed microsoft CRM and you should be able to access the a...

IF Formula 05-17-10
I'm needing a formula that will do the following... If cell A1 is 1 it shows with the word Developing. If A1 is 2 it shows with the word Performing. If A1 is 3 it shows with the word Leading. Thanks you could put this formula in b1 =CHOOSE(A1,"Developing","Performing","Leading") -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Redroc" <Redroc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C464B73-6438-4BD7-8002-DC494926E073@microsoft.com... > I'm needing a formula that will do the following... > > If cell A1 is 1 i...

Opening other users folders
Howdy. How do you stop users from opening other user's folder, ie inbox, calendar, tasks. Inbox folders are NOT shared. Default and Anonymous permissions are "none." Privacy/Security problem. THanks in advance, Kenny ...

Ole Object visible if... 03-11-10
Is it possible to set an ole object visible if another ole object has no data? I use OLE links to excel and once set up, I can use xlapp.Visible = True to show/hide the excel app as required. You may need to be more specific in your question... "Robbie Doo" wrote: > Is it possible to set an ole object visible if another ole object has no data? ...

Question #10
1. How can I setup Outlook 2003 under WinXP to auto download all images everytime I open a message? John Jeremiah wrote: > 1. How can I setup Outlook 2003 under WinXP to auto download all images > everytime I open a message? > > > John > > try going to options, security, click "download picture settings" AL "Jeremiah" <jeremiah@truth.org> wrote in message news:eIxKcxdJGHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > 1. How can I setup Outlook 2003 under WinXP to auto download all images > everytime I open a message? > > > Joh...

Check box to add 10%...
In my form I have a check box "Expendable", when I check the check box I need the "UnitPrice" to be multipled by 10%, if the check box isnt checked it needs to be what the user enters, could someone tell me how to do this? Thanks. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200706/1 Private Sub Expendable_AfterUpdate() If Me!Expendable = True Then Me!UnitPrice = Nz(Me!UnitPrice), 0) * .1 End If End Sub -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "stephendeloach...

How can i tell excel to cumalative the hours so 17:00 + 10:00 = 2.
I have designed a timesheet in excel thats works out staff hours. I want excel to have a cumalative hours section so on a day to day basis staff know how many hours they have done it total I have done a formula to add up the hours but the problem is once it reached 23:59 it goes back to 0:00 does anyone know how to do cumaltive hours and resolve the problem??? Jenniss, Format the cell (Format - Cell - Number - Custom): [hh]:mm -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "jenniss" <jenniss@discussions.microso...

I Lost my public folders
This morning I had a public folder store that was working well for all my users. The only problem was that just about everybody had full permissions to read and write to every folder. I decided it was time to tighten down the security permissions. I went into ESM -> Folders -> Public Folder Tree and prceeded to edit the permissions to what I thought they should look like. Unfortunatly, I can't remember what I did to the top folder group, but after I clicked apply, the Public Folder Tree dissappeared from ESM. I'm sure its not deleted because if I try and create a new tree wi...

Share Calendar in Public Folder
Hi, I have 5 people sharing a calendar under public folder. They use it to make appoinments, is there a way for me to set a color font for each user? so that it's easier to distinguish which belongs to whom. For instance, can I set the font color of user1 to red, user2 to green, etc... Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed You can change the labels for that. Edit-> Labels... -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "ED" <anonymous...

Removing Public Folder Replica(s)
I will be removing an Exchange 5.5 site from our environment later this week. I have found an article that goes over the process. One of the steps is to remove Public Folder Replicas from Exchange_Site_B. This is where I'm having trouble. When I try and remove the replica from Site_B, I get an error that I don't have permissions to perform this operation on the Information Store. The exact message follows: You do not have the permission required to complete the operation on the information store. Microsoft Exchange Information Store ID no: c1040af3 Now, I have checked permissio...

Delegate access to shared folders created in "outlook today"
I am aware of the process to set up delegates and give permissions to allow other users (a specific group of users) access to a new folder I created in "Outlook Today". When I try to give them access to the new folder I have created, the folder does not even come up as an option. Only lists options to share (general) inbox, calendar, etc. I need this folder to be shared as I have invoked a rule to send all emails from a particular source to this folder (these emails are of interest to all specified users). I only want the other users to be able to access emails from this par...

Need Help Enabling Flags in OWA for Public Folder
Hello-- I set up a public folders (not default public folders) with permissions for access to only a limited group via OWA. Everything is working great except no one, including the Domain Administrator can "flag" a post. The Flag Column header is grayed out and when you click on it, it merely depresses. Any advice on how to enable the flags would be appreciated. Many thanks, sd On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:45:02 -0700, razor <razor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello-- > >I set up a public folders (not default public folders) with permissions for >access to ...

How do I move important folders (as in outlook xp) to the folders.
In Ol xp I was able to move "in use folders and documents" to the OL toolbar on the left. Is that possible in OL2003? No, Outlook 2003 no longer uses the Outlook bar but you can build your own view of folders using the Favorite Folders option. See F1 Help for information on using Favorite folders. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, CDA asked: | In Ol xp I was able to...

Folder Maintenance
I am using OL 2003 and am looking for a folder maintenance tool. I use folders for message sorting as well as for tracking projects and tasks. I build up empty folders as tasks or projects complete and have been deleting them manually. That is time consuming. I looked through add-ins and saw many tools for managing attachments, but none for folder management that would detect and notify for empty folders. And/or that would allow tagging folders so they can be deleted as a group instead of individually. Do you know of anything I can do? Phil -- pventresca http://foru...

Connecting Entourage ver. 10 to exchange 2003
I am trying to connect entourage version 10 (MAC) to exchange 2003. I need help from the beginning to the end. ...

GP 10 Named Printers being ignored on Citrix
I set up Named Printers on four Citrix servers, using my id as the template user. I followed the steps in David Musgrave's blog post from last August, but it still ignores the default printer I set up. This only seems to happen for me and another person (or others aren't telling me about it). The user's default printer from their workstation is also being ignored. For example, if someone logs into GP, then goes to the Print Setup, it shows an "XPS Document Writer" as the default printer. One would think that even if it doesn't pick up the Named Printers ...