Exporting email with atachment to text file

I would lke to have a backup of all my email in a pure text form.  Many
years ago I used Netscape email, and the entire mail file was pur text;
attachments followed the message and were encoded in base64.  I could
always retrieve my email (with a little effort) by cuting and pasting,
and using uuencode to retrieve the binary form of the attachment.  Is
there any way to do this in Outlook?

I have recently encountered difficulties with different versions of
Outook at home and work, so would like to avoid problems like this in
the future by having a purely text email file.

TIA

0
dtshedd (2)
11/2/2006 11:17:21 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

3 Replies
717 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 22

<dtshedd@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:1162509441.280418.305220@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
>I would lke to have a backup of all my email in a pure text form.  Many
> years ago I used Netscape email, and the entire mail file was pur text;
> attachments followed the message and were encoded in base64.  I could
> always retrieve my email (with a little effort) by cuting and pasting,
> and using uuencode to retrieve the binary form of the attachment.  Is
> there any way to do this in Outlook?
>
> I have recently encountered difficulties with different versions of
> Outook at home and work, so would like to avoid problems like this in
> the future by having a purely text email file.
>
> TIA
>


Install Thunderbird and import your Outlook mail to that - that will do 
exactly the same job.

HTH 


0
11/3/2006 8:42:35 AM
Thank you for the suggestion.  I installed Thinderbird, but that only
allowed me to import the emails if Outlook was installed, and the
messages currently in the personal folders.  I would like to import a
standalone Outlook Personal Address Book file (*.pst).  Is there
another program that can do this?

TIA

Dan

Gordon wrote:
> <dtshedd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1162509441.280418.305220@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
> >I would lke to have a backup of all my email in a pure text form.  Many
> > years ago I used Netscape email, and the entire mail file was pur text;
> > attachments followed the message and were encoded in base64.  I could
> > always retrieve my email (with a little effort) by cuting and pasting,
> > and using uuencode to retrieve the binary form of the attachment.  Is
> > there any way to do this in Outlook?
> >
> > I have recently encountered difficulties with different versions of
> > Outook at home and work, so would like to avoid problems like this in
> > the future by having a purely text email file.
> >
> > TIA
> >
>
>
> Install Thunderbird and import your Outlook mail to that - that will do
> exactly the same job.
> 
> HTH

0
dtshedd (2)
11/6/2006 2:03:25 PM
dtshedd@yahoo.com <dtshedd@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestion.  I installed Thinderbird, but that only
> allowed me to import the emails if Outlook was installed, and the
> messages currently in the personal folders.  I would like to import a
> standalone Outlook Personal Address Book file (*.pst).  Is there
> another program that can do this?

There is no program that can read a PST other than Outlook.  Moreover, a 
Personal Address Book file is not a .pst file, but a .pab file.  If you 
really mean a PAB, then Outlook Express can import that, but there are no 
messages in a PAB, only contacts.
-- 
Brian Tillman 

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/6/2006 3:46:28 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces: