exporting contacts from newer Outlook to older Outlook

A friend is attempting to copy his Contacts from one Outlook
installation to another.  He exported his Contacts to a *.pst file and
then attempted to import them but got a message to the effect that the
pst file was not compatible with the version of Outlook he was
attempting to import into.

The receiving Outlook is Outlook 2002.  He isn't sure, but thinks that
the originating Outlook is Outlook 2003.

What's the recommended way to get Contacts from a newer version, such as
Outlook 2003, into Outlook 2002?

--
Lem
0

Found it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909637

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

lemp40 (4)
6/18/2008 9:20:36 PM
No you didn't. You found Microsoft's answer, which is and always has been
wrong. Outlook's import and export function is flawed. It loses or changes
data, but does not transfer it reliably.
The correct method is to create your PST file in the older format, then
simply copy the information you want to transfer into that file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Lem" <lemp40@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lem wrote:
>> A friend is attempting to copy his Contacts from one Outlook installation
>> to another.  He exported his Contacts to a *.pst file and then attempted
>> to import them but got a message to the effect that the pst file was not
>> compatible with the version of Outlook he was attempting to import into.
>>
>> The receiving Outlook is Outlook 2002.  He isn't sure, but thinks that
>> the originating Outlook is Outlook 2003.
>>
>> What's the recommended way to get Contacts from a newer version, such as
>> Outlook 2003, into Outlook 2002?
>>

> Found it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909637
>

> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP

russval1 (2100)
6/18/2008 10:05:57 PM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> No you didn't. You found Microsoft's answer, which is and always has
> been wrong. Outlook's import and export function is flawed. It loses or
> changes data, but does not transfer it reliably.
> The correct method is to create your PST file in the older format, then
> simply copy the information you want to transfer into that file.

Thanks, Russ.

As you might have guessed, I don't use Outlook.  So, after the old
format PST file is created, does one simply select the original Contact
folder and right click and select "copy to" and give the old format file
as the destination?

And then on the computer with OL 2002, copy in a similar manner?

Or do you have to select individual contacts to copy?

--
Lem
0

--
> Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>> No you didn't. You found Microsoft's answer, which is and always has been
>> wrong. Outlook's import and export function is flawed. It loses or
>> changes data, but does not transfer it reliably.
>> The correct method is to create your PST file in the older format, then
>> simply copy the information you want to transfer into that file.
>
> Thanks, Russ.
>
> As you might have guessed, I don't use Outlook.  So, after the old format
> PST file is created, does one simply select the original Contact folder
> and right click and select "copy to" and give the old format file as the
> destination?
>
> And then on the computer with OL 2002, copy in a similar manner?
>
> Or do you have to select individual contacts to copy?
>
> --
> Lem

0
russval1 (2100)
6/18/2008 11:35:27 PM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> Once you create the second PST file in the old format, it should appear
> in your profile's navigation pane. Make sure you are using Folder List
> view so that all files and folders are displayed in the nav pane.
> After that, you can use whatever your preferred method is for
> transferring folders to other PST files. I use R click drag > Copy (to
> the root of the second file) with reliable success.

Thanks again.

--
Lem
0