Exchange server and outlook

Hi,

We have been running a couple of antiquated computers on a network with the
server running Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5. The PC's were running outlook
97 and 2000. Our requirements were looked after by a company that has just
disappeared so I now want to update and move on.

Although I know about setting up POP3 & SMTP servers on outlook I know
nothing about Exchange.

I want to ditch all the old pc's and I have just bought 2 new Dell's both
running Office 2003. These will be wirelessly networked using a workgroup

The Questions:

How do I copy across the emails that are on the old systems and are they
stored locally?

We have our own domain so would Exchange have been getting the emails via
POP3? (trying to find the settings for the new system) we only have 3 email
addresses we want from this domain.

Thank you for your time.

Paul.

0
pleaseask (5)

Open the mailboxes in your outlook client and export the
inbox to a pst file and import to the new machines.

The exchange server could be setup for pop3, imap, http,
etc - the default I believe is smtp.

What are you now going to use for a mail server?
f you want more information on your exchange setup their
should be a Exchange admin program installed on one of the
older pc's or you can run setup from the exchange disk and
install the admin program.

0
anonymous (74722)
8/9/2004 2:10:29 PM
You can export everything to PST files & set up new mail profiles if you
wish. If Exchange is set up to receive mail for your Internet domain via
SMTP as it's supposed to, you'll need to contact the ISP/DNS host to have
them create POP mailboxes for everyone....

What does everyone have in their Outlook profiles right now?

I suggest you look for a new consulting firm and stick with Exchange. You'll
lose a ton of functionality if you ditch it in favor of just POP mail. May
also be time to invest in better server hardware & do a migration to
Exchange 2003/Windows 2003.....

Paul Reed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have been running a couple of antiquated computers on a network
> with the server running Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5. The PC's were
> running outlook 97 and 2000. Our requirements were looked after by a
> company that has just disappeared so I now want to update and move on.
>
> Although I know about setting up POP3 & SMTP servers on outlook I know
> nothing about Exchange.
>
> I want to ditch all the old pc's and I have just bought 2 new Dell's
> both running Office 2003. These will be wirelessly networked using a
> workgroup
>
> The Questions:
>
> How do I copy across the emails that are on the old systems and are
> they stored locally?
>
> We have our own domain so would Exchange have been getting the emails
> via POP3? (trying to find the settings for the new system) we only
> have 3 email addresses we want from this domain.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Paul.

0
lanwench (7567)
8/9/2004 2:23:05 PM
"Marvin" wrote the following

> Open the mailboxes in your outlook client and export the
> inbox to a pst file and import to the new machines.
>
> The exchange server could be setup for pop3, imap, http,
> etc - the default I believe is smtp.
>
> What are you now going to use for a mail server?
> f you want more information on your exchange setup their
> should be a Exchange admin program installed on one of the
> older pc's or you can run setup from the exchange disk and
> install the admin program.

Thanks for the reply.

I will have a look at the Exchange Admin program.

Paul.

0
pleaseask (5)
8/9/2004 2:51:52 PM
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" Wrote

> You can export everything to PST files & set up new mail profiles if you
> wish. If Exchange is set up to receive mail for your Internet domain via
> SMTP as it's supposed to, you'll need to contact the ISP/DNS host to have
> them create POP mailboxes for everyone....
>
> What does everyone have in their Outlook profiles right now?
>
> I suggest you look for a new consulting firm and stick with Exchange.
> You'll
> lose a ton of functionality if you ditch it in favor of just POP mail. May
> also be time to invest in better server hardware & do a migration to
> Exchange 2003/Windows 2003.....

Thanks for the reply.

As only 2 of us are receiving or sending emails, I would prefer not to have
a server as well and would like to keep it simple using POP3 to receive and
SMTP to send.

Out of interest, what functionality would I lose by ditching Exchange?

Paul.

0
pleaseask (5)
8/9/2004 2:54:32 PM
If only 2 of your are utilizing email then exchange is
just a resource hog. Only needed if your org. had more
users then you can have the advantage of having a local
mail server (customized to your setup,backups, virus
checking, secure, etc.)

0
anonymous (74722)
8/9/2004 5:09:59 PM
Paul Reed <pleaseask@formyemailaddress.com> wrote:

> How do I copy across the emails that are on the old systems and are
> they stored locally?

Typically with an Exchange server, messages are stored on the server so that
no matter what machine a person uses, all messages are available.  However,
some people also use a Personal Folders file (PST) as local storage.  If you
set up the new PCs to reference existing Exchange mailboxes, you should see
all the messages on the server for that person.  You should also scan the
old PCs for existence of any PST files and, if found, copy them to the new
PCs.  They can then be added into the mail profiles,.

> We have our own domain so would Exchange have been getting the emails
> via POP3?

I don't think Exchange uses POP to get mail from anything.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
8/9/2004 6:05:15 PM
Paul Reed wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" Wrote
>
>> You can export everything to PST files & set up new mail profiles if
>> you wish. If Exchange is set up to receive mail for your Internet
>> domain via SMTP as it's supposed to, you'll need to contact the
>> ISP/DNS host to have them create POP mailboxes for everyone....
>>
>> What does everyone have in their Outlook profiles right now?
>>
>> I suggest you look for a new consulting firm and stick with Exchange.
>> You'll
>> lose a ton of functionality if you ditch it in favor of just POP
>> mail. May also be time to invest in better server hardware & do a
>> migration to Exchange 2003/Windows 2003.....
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> As only 2 of us are receiving or sending emails, I would prefer not
> to have a server as well and would like to keep it simple using POP3
> to receive and SMTP to send.
>
> Out of interest, what functionality would I lose by ditching Exchange?

The ability to store mail centrally, share contacts/calendars, have
interoffice mail, shared distribution groups, Out of Office, Outlook Web
Access, the ability to scan all inbound/outbound mail for viruses and spam
at a single point, and so forth. The number of users isn't really relevant -
it's how people are using the product, or want to use the product. If they
aren't using the collaborative features now, they won't miss much.

> Paul.

0
lanwench (7567)

Inconsistent DBASE after doing a restore of Exchange 5.5 Dbase
Tried moving my dying ex 5.5 server to new hardware this weekend and it failed because the restore did not bring over a log file and left the dbase in an inconsistant state. Has any one had this happen to them or heard of this happening. Using Vertias backup Exec 10.d, The error I recieved when I tried to start the dbase after the restore was: EVENT ID 5000, could not start the information store, 0x8004010f in the app log, and in the system log was the info store service terminated wth service specfic error, 2147746063. Another question, since my dbase is 26gb and I can't copy it acros...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Crash on 'Send"

Exchange update problem

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook 2003

cant start outlook pst file to large

How to restore entire server?

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Exchange 2k3 imap VS startup

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

Exchange 2007 across account search

Exchange clusters
Hello Everyone, I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers. I am going to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3. Which cluster do I install it on first? The active cluster or the passive cluster? Thank you, Most appreciative, Do you mean you're running one cluster with two nodes? If you were to install on the active node, Exchange will shut down and the passive node will become the active node. So, it's clear that you should install first on the passive node, fail over, then install on the passive node (which was formerly the active node). -- Ed Crow...

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Outlook Express 6 w/multiple accounts

Moving Contacts to Outlook Address Book