Exchange/Outlook security problems Password What??

Hello everyone,

I hope one of you Exchange/Outlook users out there can help solve this
problem.

This has all started out by needing to turn off the "Something's
looking at your email addresses" nag box in Outlook 2003, in order to
get a macro written in Outlook 2003 to work properly.

According to what I have read and hopefully understood from Microsoft's

support documents ("Customizing the Outlook Security Features
Administrative Package" is that these nag boxes can be bypassed with
the Outlook Security Features Administrative Package.

I have set up a form in a folder called Outlook Security Settings,
which is a public folder. I have Administrator/Owner/Everything access
to it. I was able to successfully publish the form to the folder.

Whenever I try to make new settings for either the default or Exception

groups, I get an error when I try to save.

"The Access levels on this security setting cannot be saved, probably
because of an invalid password. This setting is currently set as a
default setting for all users. You should either delete the setting or
save it again, and type the correct password."

Invalid password?? HUH?? I was never once asked to enter a password,
not can I find a place in th form to enter one. Where is this coming
from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0
goldhors64 (15)

If you are working with Outlook 2003 in Cached Exchange mode, try =
switching to a profile that doesn't use Cached Exchange.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
     Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20

"XxLicherxX" <goldhors64@aol.com> wrote in message =
>=20
> This has all started out by needing to turn off the "Something's
> looking at your email addresses" nag box in Outlook 2003, in order to
> get a macro written in Outlook 2003 to work properly.
>=20
> According to what I have read and hopefully understood from =
Microsoft's
> support documents ("Customizing the Outlook Security Features
> Administrative Package" is that these nag boxes can be bypassed with
> the Outlook Security Features Administrative Package.
>=20
>=20
> I have set up a form in a folder called Outlook Security Settings,
> which is a public folder. I have Administrator/Owner/Everything access
> to it. I was able to successfully publish the form to the folder.
>=20
>=20
> Whenever I try to make new settings for either the default or =
Exception
>=20
> groups, I get an error when I try to save.
>=20
>=20
> "The Access levels on this security setting cannot be saved, probably
> because of an invalid password. This setting is currently set as a
> default setting for all users. You should either delete the setting or
> save it again, and type the correct password."
>=20
>=20
> Invalid password?? HUH?? I was never once asked to enter a password,
> not can I find a place in th form to enter one. Where is this coming
> from?=20
>=20
>=20

suemvp (4038)
7/8/2005 5:22:59 PM
Hi Sue,

Thanks for your response.

The error that I got before this one told me to turn off exchange
cached mode. I also tried getting the hotfix described in KB 885227,
but no luck.

Dave

0
goldhors64 (15)
7/8/2005 5:34:02 PM
Did you create the Outlook Security Settings folder as a top-level =
public folder?=20

What about the mail profile that you're using? Is it accessing the =
mailbox associated with your Windows logon account?=20

What does your macro do? Does it derive all its objects from the =
intrinsic Application object? Does it use CDO?

Also note: The newsgroup interface you are using apparently does not =
quote earlier messages in the thread, making your latest message so =
short on detail that you risk not getting the answer you're looking for. =
Please take the time to quote the original message.=20

> Hi Sue,
>=20
> Thanks for your response.
>=20
> The error that I got before this one told me to turn off exchange
> cached mode. I also tried getting the hotfix described in KB 885227,
> but no luck.=20
>=20
> Dave

0
suemvp (4038)
7/8/2005 8:01:48 PM
Hi Sue,

I have double checked the location of the Outlook Security Settings
folder using the Exchange System Manager. (This is where I originally
created it) it is in Folders -> Public Folders... The root of the
public folders.

My mailbox name is the same as my logon name.

My macro just uses VBA code, I don't think I have anything from CDO in
it. The only thing I use from the Application object is:

"Set olNS = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")"

(I think I got this from you on the Outlook VBA programming newsgroup,
Thanks again)

I don't understand what could be bringing up the error that complains
about my password. Are there settings in Outlook where I would need to
specify a password for something like this? I have double-checked
permissions on the folder, taken ownership of the object under my
username, and tried saving my form into another folder. These all have
the same result. I just don't get it.

I have been posting through www.groups.google.com... Is there a certain
tag or anything like that I need to use to indicate its quoted text,
(Google has a link that says "Show Quoted Text") or is it ok to simply
do this:

[...]

"

0
goldhors64 (15)
7/8/2005 8:42:12 PM
So, in your macro, what statement triggers a security prompt? We may be =
able to solve the real problem, which is getting the code to run without =
prompts..=20

The only time I've seen anything like that password prompt is when the =
mail profile of the user working on the security forms doesn't match the =
Windows login account. You might try creating a new profile to see if it =
behaves differently.=20

There's no special quoting tag. It's just harder to follow the =
discussion if the relevant information is not kept together in one =

> Hi Sue,
>=20
> I have double checked the location of the Outlook Security Settings
> folder using the Exchange System Manager. (This is where I originally
> created it) it is in Folders -> Public Folders... The root of the
> public folders.
>=20
> My mailbox name is the same as my logon name.
>=20
> My macro just uses VBA code, I don't think I have anything from CDO in
> it. The only thing I use from the Application object is:
>=20
> "Set olNS =3D Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")"
>=20
> I don't understand what could be bringing up the error that complains
> about my password.=20
>=20
> This has all started out by needing to turn off the "Something's
> looking at your email addresses" nag box in Outlook 2003, in order to
> get a macro written in Outlook 2003 to work properly.
>=20
> I have set up a form in a folder called Outlook Security Settings,
> which is a public folder. I have Administrator/Owner/Everything access
> to it. I was able to successfully publish the form to the folder.
>=20
> Whenever I try to make new settings for either the default or =
Exception
> groups, I get an error when I try to save.
>=20
> "The Access levels on this security setting cannot be saved, probably
> because of an invalid password. This setting is currently set as a
> default setting for all users. You should either delete the setting or
> save it again, and type the correct password."
>=20
> Invalid password?? HUH?? I was never once asked to enter a password,
> not can I find a place in th form to enter one. Where is this coming
> from?=20

0
suemvp (4038)
7/8/2005 10:05:48 PM
Hi Sue,

I beleive that the following statements are what are causing the
security prompt:

msg.CC
msg.SenderName
msg.To

"msg" is the variable name for the MailItem object passed into this
Macro. Is there an alternative way of pulling this information out of
an email?

Thanks

"
[...]

7/11/2005 12:52:34 PM
And where does that MailItem object itself come from?=20

> Hi Sue,
>=20
> I beleive that the following statements are what are causing the
> security prompt:
>=20
> msg.CC
> msg.SenderName
> msg.To
>=20
> "msg" is the variable name for the MailItem object passed into this
> Macro. Is there an alternative way of pulling this information out of
> an email?
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
> "
> Hello everyone,
>=20
>=20
> I hope one of you Exchange/Outlook users out there can help solve this
> problem.
>=20
>=20
> This has all started out by needing to turn off the "Something's
> looking at your email addresses" nag box in Outlook 2003, in order to
> get a macro written in Outlook 2003 to work properly.
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)
7/11/2005 1:38:05 PM
Hi Sue,

The MailItem is the incoming email message to the inbox folder.

"
[...]

7/11/2005 1:55:01 PM
So this is a procedure you're invoking with a "run a script" rule? In =
that case, use the EntryID to return a "trusted" MailItem, as in this =
example:

Sub RunAScriptRule(MyMail As MailItem)
    Dim strID As String
    Dim olNS As Outlook.NameSpace
    Dim olMail As Outlook.MailItem
   =20
    strID =3D MyMail.EntryID
    Set olNS =3D Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    Set olMail =3D olNS.GetItemFromID(strID)
    MsgBox olMail.To
   =20
    Set olMail =3D Nothing
    Set olNS =3D Nothing
End Sub

olMail will be "trusted" with regard to the security prompts, because it =
is derived from the Appliction object.=20

> Hi Sue,
>=20
> The MailItem is the incoming email message to the inbox folder.
>=20
> "
> Hello everyone,
> I hope one of you Exchange/Outlook users out there can help solve this
> problem.
> This has all started out by needing to turn off the "Something's
> looking at your email addresses" nag box in Outlook 2003, in order to
> get a macro written in Outlook 2003 to work properly.
> According to what I have read and hopefully understood from =
Microsoft's
>=20
> support documents ("Customizing the Outlook Security Features
> Administrative Package" is that these nag boxes can be bypassed with
> the Outlook Security Features Administrative Package.
> I have set up a form in a folder called Outlook Security Settings,
> which is a public folder. I have Administrator/Owner/Everything access
> to it. I was able to successfully publish the form to the folder.
> Whenever I try to make new settings for either the default or =
Exception
>=20
> groups, I get an error when I try to save.
> "The Access levels on this security setting cannot be saved, probably
> because of an invalid password. This setting is currently set as a
> default setting for all users. You should either delete the setting or
> save it again, and type the correct password."
> Invalid password?? HUH?? I was never once asked to enter a password,
> not can I find a place in th form to enter one. Where is this coming
> from?=20
> Any help would be greatly appreciated=20
> "

0
suemvp (4038)
7/11/2005 2:06:08 PM
Hi Sue,

I changed my code to reflect what you put in your last post and my
problem is solved! My macro runs nice and smoothly now. Thank you very
much for your help with this situation.

Dave

0
goldhors64 (15)

outlook will not save my outgoing mail

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Problem automating page in IE 8
Hi, I am using the following code to open a page to sign in to MyMsn and it does not work in the same way as other secure sites do. I don't know if Microsoft does something different(big grin here), but the code, which I believe I got from Karl Peterson, shows 22 objects on the document, but does not print anything for the obj type, obj name or obj value. Passing the document to a timer to run HTML links does not show the sign in boxes at all either. Is there another way to see the items on this page and pass the email address and password to them? Code: Private Su...

How to suppress repeating password prompts and scope pre-emption?
Outlook (2003,2007, perhaps other versions also) has an absolutely enraging feature seemingly devised to intentionallly cause major distress and anguish on the parts of its users, to wit: Whenever an email account provider computer decides the account has been open too long and requests a new logon, (ATT/Yahoo) or an account was never able to log on in the first place (bad password) a window periodically pops up and the keyboard entry goes directly into the password field with no warning. I am often typing an email etc. and find that the previous paragraph of text, some of i...

Question -Problem

AD Sync problem

password protection paramenters
Hello, I want to be able to unprotect my sheet, add a wordart graphi and reprotect my sheet. The problem I am having is when I do this wit code the file is protected with the default parameters selected. I wan to be able to enable wordart so I can insert a wordart object and the protect the sheet again. I want to get around the user being able to just delect the added wor art. When protected I would like the following parameters to be set: Allow users to select locked cells select Unlocked cells format cells format rows Its the "edit objects" parameter that needs to be enabled fo...

WCF Client serialization problem

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Excel button problem

Invalid Account on the Security Tab
I deleted an account from AD, and it was listed under the security tab of my server (in ESM), to have full mailbox rights to the information store. I tried removing the inherited permissions, and removing the acct. The I set the inherited permissions back, and the invalid acct. comes back. Does anyone know how I can remove this invalid acct. from the security tab? Thanks. Remove it from the top-level where it was granted permissions. When you set inherited permissions and the account comes back, that means that that account has been granted permissions at a higher level. If you'v...

allowing relaying... security issues
We are using Exchange 2000 on an SBS 2000 machine. We signed up with Spam Soap - an outside company to provide incoming/outgoing SMTP mail filtering . As part of their service, you also configure them as a "smart host". This is configured in the virtual SMTP Server area - in the advanced options for delivery. Also, in order to have this work properly, the SMTP Connector we had configured in the 'Connectors' area also had to be removed. We have an in-house VB .net application that automatically sends auto-generated emails. This particular application is configured and...

Problem with Range

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems