Exchange Mailbox - Synchronize Contacts and Calendar but NOT Email

I have a client who uses Outlook at his office in conjunction with
Exchange Server and Outlook at home with a totally separate POP3
mailbox and email address.

He wishes to be able to see his Office Calendar and Contacts on his
home machine but does not want his office mail delivered or
synchronized with his home machine or visa versa.

I have set up an Exchange Mailbox on his home machine and can access
the Calendar and Contacts but have not found a way to stop the Mailbox
picking up the email from the Exchange Server.

I have tried every setting i can think of including modifying the Send
and Receive Groups settings to exclude the Exchange Mailbox but is
still seems to check for mail every minute or so.

Does any one have any suggestions please.

Many thanks

Michael

0
Michael

Just allow him access via OWA to his work email account.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Michael asked:

| I have a client who uses Outlook at his office in conjunction with
| Exchange Server and Outlook at home with a totally separate POP3
| mailbox and email address.
|
| He wishes to be able to see his Office Calendar and Contacts on his
| home machine but does not want his office mail delivered or
| synchronized with his home machine or visa versa.
|
| I have set up an Exchange Mailbox on his home machine and can access
| the Calendar and Contacts but have not found a way to stop the Mailbox
| picking up the email from the Exchange Server.
|
| I have tried every setting i can think of including modifying the Send
| and Receive Groups settings to exclude the Exchange Mailbox but is
| still seems to check for mail every minute or so.
|
| Does any one have any suggestions please.
|
| Many thanks
|
| Michael

0
MillyS (3228)
11/14/2005 2:04:47 AM
Milly - Thanks for the prompt response

I suppose I asked for that.

When I said "see" his Office Calendar and Contacts on his home machine
I should perhaps have been a little clearer.

Ideally, he would like to have access to his Office Contacts on his
home machine so that he can use the email and other addresses in his
email and other correspondence.  The idea being that he could log on
to the office server from time to time via his VPN and update the
contacts folder and calendar without collecting his email.

Thanks again

Michael

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:04:47 -0800, "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
<MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote:

>Just allow him access via OWA to his work email account.
>
>--?
>Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
>Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  All
>unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
>reading.
>
>After furious head scratching, Michael asked:
>
>| I have a client who uses Outlook at his office in conjunction with
>| Exchange Server and Outlook at home with a totally separate POP3
>| mailbox and email address.
>|
>| He wishes to be able to see his Office Calendar and Contacts on his
>| home machine but does not want his office mail delivered or
>| synchronized with his home machine or visa versa.
>|
>| I have set up an Exchange Mailbox on his home machine and can access
>| the Calendar and Contacts but have not found a way to stop the Mailbox
>| picking up the email from the Exchange Server.
>|
>| I have tried every setting i can think of including modifying the Send
>| and Receive Groups settings to exclude the Exchange Mailbox but is
>| still seems to check for mail every minute or so.
>|
>| Does any one have any suggestions please.
>|
>| Many thanks
>|
>| Michael

0
Michael
11/14/2005 2:38:18 AM
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:36:41 -0500, "Brian Tillman"
<tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:

>If he has a VPN and is accessing the Exchange server through that with an
>Exchange account (not a POP account), then he's NOT "collecting" the mail.
>He's just accessing the mailbox on the server and has identical access to
>all the folders he does at work, since he actually is referencing the
>folders at work.  You can't access non-mail folders via POP or IMAP
>accounts, so it'a apparent that he's not using those account types.
>Consequently, why does he care whether or not he can see the mail folders as
>well?

Brian - Many thanks for the considered response.

I will try and explain the problem in a little more detail.

You are entirely correct that he does access the Exchange server via
the VPN and as such can see his work Contacts, Calendar and Inbox etc.

The problem arises because his home computer also has an Personal
Folder (Outlook.pst file) which he uses to handle his personal
correspondence via a personal email address and a POP3 mailbox.

Once he connects to the Exchange server one of two things happen
depending upon the option he has chosen in the "Deliver new email to
the following location" drop down list.

If he opts to "Deliver new email" to his Personal Folder any mail in
his Office Exchange Inbox or any mail that arrives while he is online
is transferred to his Personal Folder Inbox and is then no longer
accessible when he is in the office.

If on the other hand he opts to "Deliver new email" to his Exchange
Mailbox then the opposite happens.  Furthermore when he is offline at
home and is using his POP3 account any incoming mail arrives in the
Exchange Mailbox Inbox and any mail he sends out goes into the
Exchange Mailbox Sent Folder rather then the equivalent Folders in his
Personal Folder.

I have tried to get round this using "Rules" and this works quite well
for the Inbox with mail addressed to his personal email address being
moved to the Inbox in his Personal Folder.  Unfortunately, I have not
found a way of doing the same for sent items as the Rules in Outlook
do not seem to cater for moving "Sent" items to a particular folder
they only allow items to be copied.  As a result copies of his
outgoing personal mail end up in his Office Exchange Mailbox sent
Folder.

Which brings me back the original problem which is that he would like
to be able to go online via the VPN and update his Exchange Mailbox
Contacts and Calendar without his Office mail being transferred to his
personal Folder or Visa Versa.

Thanks again for the help - any further thoughts would be greatly
appreciated

Michael
0
Michael

--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/14/2005 3:36:41 PM
Apologies for the date stamp on the previous message -  I had the
temporarily adjusted the date on my computer and forgot to put it
back.

Michael

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:36:41 -0500, "Brian Tillman"
<tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:

>If he has a VPN and is accessing the Exchange server through that with an
>Exchange account (not a POP account), then he's NOT "collecting" the mail.
>He's just accessing the mailbox on the server and has identical access to
>all the folders he does at work, since he actually is referencing the
>folders at work.  You can't access non-mail folders via POP or IMAP
>accounts, so it'a apparent that he's not using those account types.
>Consequently, why does he care whether or not he can see the mail folders as
>well?

Brian - Many thanks for the considered response.

I will try and explain the problem in a little more detail.

You are entirely correct that he does access the Exchange server via
the VPN and as such can see his work Contacts, Calendar and Inbox etc.

The problem arises because his home computer also has an Personal
Folder (Outlook.pst file) which he uses to handle his personal
correspondence via a personal email address and a POP3 mailbox.

Once he connects to the Exchange server one of two things happen
depending upon the option he has chosen in the "Deliver new email to
the following location" drop down list.

If he opts to "Deliver new email" to his Personal Folder any mail in
his Office Exchange Inbox or any mail that arrives while he is online
is transferred to his Personal Folder Inbox and is then no longer
accessible when he is in the office.

If on the other hand he opts to "Deliver new email" to his Exchange
Mailbox then the opposite happens.  Furthermore when he is offline at
home and is using his POP3 account any incoming mail arrives in the
Exchange Mailbox Inbox and any mail he sends out goes into the
Exchange Mailbox Sent Folder rather then the equivalent Folders in his
Personal Folder.

I have tried to get round this using "Rules" and this works quite well
for the Inbox with mail addressed to his personal email address being
moved to the Inbox in his Personal Folder.  Unfortunately, I have not
found a way of doing the same for sent items as the Rules in Outlook
do not seem to cater for moving "Sent" items to a particular folder
they only allow items to be copied.  As a result copies of his
outgoing personal mail end up in his Office Exchange Mailbox sent
Folder.

Which brings me back the original problem which is that he would like
to be able to go online via the VPN and update his Exchange Mailbox
Contacts and Calendar without his Office mail being transferred to his
personal Folder or Visa Versa.

Thanks again for the help - any further thoughts would be greatly
appreciated

Michael
0
Michael
11/15/2005 3:01:22 AM
Michael <Michael> wrote:

> Once he connects to the Exchange server one of two things happen
> depending upon the option he has chosen in the "Deliver new email to
> the following location" drop down list.
>
> If he opts to "Deliver new email" to his Personal Folder any mail in
> his Office Exchange Inbox or any mail that arrives while he is online
> is transferred to his Personal Folder Inbox and is then no longer
> accessible when he is in the office.
>
> If on the other hand he opts to "Deliver new email" to his Exchange
> Mailbox then the opposite happens.  Furthermore when he is offline at
> home and is using his POP3 account any incoming mail arrives in the
> Exchange Mailbox Inbox and any mail he sends out goes into the
> Exchange Mailbox Sent Folder rather then the equivalent Folders in his
> Personal Folder.

The best thing to do in theis situation, in my opinion (and it's also what I
do) is to have two mail profiles at home.  One profile has delivery to the
Exchange server and one has delivery to the PST.  The former connects only
to the work Exchange server (i.e., doesn't contain the PST in the profile)
and the second doesn't have the Exchange account (i.e., is only for personal
mail).  Outlook is configured to ask which profile to use when it starts and
the user picks the home profile when not on the VPN and the work profile
when connected.

You can have variations on this, like including the PST in the work profile,
so that you can manually copy any new appointments or contacts to the home
PST.  In my case, I also have a PDA that I sync with the Outlook Exchange
account at work so that I have all my contacts, calendar, etc. on the PDA.
However, I don't sync the Inbox.  If I was to see that at home, I use the
work profile, which doesn't access my home profile's PST.  I also sync the
PDA at home with the home mail profile so that my home profile, which
contains my personal mail in a PST, also contains my work calendar,
contacts, tasks, etc, but NOT my work Inbox - only my personal mail.  This
adds my personal contacts, calendar, tasks, etc, to the corresponding
folders at work, but I find that acceptable, since it's not that much data.
Al my messages, however, are completely distinct.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/15/2005 1:57:58 PM
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:57:58 -0500, "Brian Tillman"
<tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The best thing to do in theis situation, in my opinion (and it's also what I
>do) is to have two mail profiles at home.  One profile has delivery to the
>Exchange server and one has delivery to the PST.  The former connects only
>to the work Exchange server (i.e., doesn't contain the PST in the profile)
>and the second doesn't have the Exchange account (i.e., is only for personal
>mail).  Outlook is configured to ask which profile to use when it starts and
>the user picks the home profile when not on the VPN and the work profile
>when connected.
>
>You can have variations on this, like including the PST in the work profile,
>so that you can manually copy any new appointments or contacts to the home
>PST.  In my case, I also have a PDA that I sync with the Outlook Exchange
>account at work so that I have all my contacts, calendar, etc. on the PDA.
>However, I don't sync the Inbox.  If I was to see that at home, I use the
>work profile, which doesn't access my home profile's PST.  I also sync the
>PDA at home with the home mail profile so that my home profile, which
>contains my personal mail in a PST, also contains my work calendar,
>contacts, tasks, etc, but NOT my work Inbox - only my personal mail.  This
>adds my personal contacts, calendar, tasks, etc, to the corresponding
>folders at work, but I find that acceptable, since it's not that much data.
>Al my messages, however, are completely distinct.

Brian - Thanks again

You seem to be confirming my own findings that there is no simple
solution to the problem.

Your solution with the PDA is exactly what we want to achieve (i.e.
what is in effect a common Contacts folder but separate email).

It just seems unfortunate that one has to buy a PDA to achieve such a
simple objective.

Anyway thanks again for your help.

Michael

0
Michael
11/15/2005 6:25:13 PM
Michael <Michael> wrote:

> Your solution with the PDA is exactly what we want to achieve (i.e.
> what is in effect a common Contacts folder but separate email).
>
> It just seems unfortunate that one has to buy a PDA to achieve such a
> simple objective.

Well, my suggestion of including the home PST in the work profile but
keeping the delivery location on the Exchange server comes close, since you
can enable the PST's Contacts folder as an address book and then see its
contents as well as the Exchange Contacts folder when you click To and
manipulate the "Show Names from the" drop-down.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Exchange 2003, Outlook 2003 and Encryption
Hello everyone, What kind of encryption is commonly used with Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 since the Key Management has been removed from Exchange? We are an organization of almost 1000 employees and we like to take care of all of our systems in-house. What is the best and cheapest option for us for signature and encryption for our emails. Thank you. Here's a good place to start: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/E2k3MsgSecGuide/1f600576-efa4-4ea8-af6b-2bbd7c9c8425.mspx?mfr=true -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and...

how to find out service pack # for exchange on sbs 2003
I am new IT taking over the operation. I would like to know what service pack for exchange is install in sbs 2003 I went to registry under exchange setup it show service version 65 I dont know what that means Thanks Exchange System Manager console displays that info. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Song Tan" <SongTan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AB03B58-3566-40A9-915D-77F623CD33DF@microsoft.com... >I am new IT taking over the operation...

Global settings size limitation on Exchange Server 2003
I set send and received mails as 1MB max. from global settings on Exchnage 2003 server. Then some users need more over 1MB sized mail. I set user settings of this users to 5MB. But they cannot send or receive any mail over 1MB from outside of organisation. I searched and found that user settings cannot override global settings for internet mails. How can I increase limitations for special users. By the way, I try to ommit 1MB limit for all as temporarily. I changed global settings as "no limit" but still I cannot send or receive any mail over 1MB. How can I solve these problem...

Isinteg on 5.5 store before moving mailboxes to 2003?
Hello, I have been reading the 2003 Deployment guide from MS regarding Exchange server 2003 and what is involved in moving over from 5.5. One thing I am just curious about, as a general rule of thumb - is it recommended that isinteg -test be run on the 5.5 box prior to moving mailboxes over to 2003? As far as I can tell, we do not have any issues with our store, event log is clean and online backups do not show any irregularities. I am just trying to cover as much as possible before we even test this out in a lab environment. Also, our current 5.5 hardware is fairly old (PII 300,...

email addresses

Need to EXPORT Exchange Users email
Does someone have anyway in EXPORTING User's email - I am on Exchange 2003 SP1 and we would like to export our users in the system that has an email. thanks. On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:24:33 -0600, "JPM" <jpm@yahoo.com> wrote: >Does someone have anyway in EXPORTING User's email - I am on Exchange 2003 >SP1 and we would like to export our users in the system that has an email. >thanks. > Is this question complete? It just seems to tail off. Anyway, to export one or more users you can use http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;174197 ...

Create new distribution list from To: field in a received email
I received an email today addressed to a large number of people, many of whom are not currently in my Contacts folder. It's a working group that will be communicating with each other as a group, so I'd like to simply copy the names in the To: field from this email I received, and create a new Distribution list from this group of names. But so far I can't figure out how to create a new distribtion list without either manually entering all these names into the list, or manually creating Contact forms for each one. Is there a simpler to do this? ...

Recreating the Exchange Administrator Group
Recently my clients Exchange 5.5 server crashed. We did a restore to an identical box of the Information store (Windows NT 4.0). We are up and running, however, when I add people to the pre-existing Exchange Administrator group, we get an insufficient rights to the DS error. I can work around this by adding each person that needs admin rights directly to the Organization, Site, and related containers in the Exchange server, but I would prefer having to just add them to a user group. I'm going with the assumption that it is a SID's issue with that group. Is there a way I can "...

exchange 2003 administrative tools
hi, got an exchange 2k3 server installed and installed the administrative tools from the cd on another server. if i open users and computers on the other server and try to click exchange tasks for an user account i get the following error message: Exchange Extension The format of the specified computer name is invalid ID no: c00704ba i dont get the exchange tasks and i dont see the exchange tabs for any user account any ideas??? pls help :) "Roland P." <roland.pocek@brz.gv.at> wrote: >got an exchange 2k3 server installed and installed the >administrative tool...

Unable to share folders via Exchange
Hi, I am unable to share my Outlook folders via exchange. I have: Outlook 2003 SP1 connected to MS Exchange Server (2003) over RPC. I use cached mode (.ost) rather than local .pst Problem: Only options available when 'Sharing...' selected are: General; Home Page; AutoArchive; Synchronization Permissions tab does not appear. So far, I have: 1. Uninstalled MS Outlook 2. Reinstalled MS Outlook (unpatched) - permissions still not available 3. Repatched MS Outlook - permissions still not available Sharing permissions are available for other MS Outlook 2003 SP1 users in our office. If I ad...

How to import Contacts in Outlook 2003 into new Outlook 2007?
Just tell me how... cannot possibly copy from scratch every one of those address cards - how do I copy them into the new Office program for 07 If you Installed Office 2007 by selecting Upgrade then they will be there in the upgrade. If you uninstalled Outlook/ office 2003 then installed Outlook/Office 2007 (on the same PC) they will still be there http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm "MsLeila" <MsLeila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C34AE49-5ED2-46ED-B955-1685E6D15AD9@microsoft.com... > Just tell me how... cannot possibly copy fro...

I can't add attachments to emails or notes
Hi all !! I can't add attachments to any object i should can ... i get this error message when I click in Attach ... You are not authorized to view this page You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please try the following: Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials. If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number liste...

Newbie: No Exchange tasks in Active Directory Users and Computers
Hi I have just installed Exchange 2000 SP2 on a Win 2K system. Install seemed to go fine, AD Schema has been modified, Exchange seems to be running. However... When I go to AD users to create a new mailbox enabled user, there is no Exchage Tasks Wizard. There are no Exchange related tasks at all that I can see. If I right clikc a user, no Exchange related tasks in teh menu, and if I look at the user properties, there are no Exchange related tabs. There is the following error message in the event log, that might be related: Event Type: Warning Event Source: W3SVC Event Category: None Event ...

Inbound email filtering beyond Rules
I'd like to understand how Outlook 2010 Rules have improved over v2003. Several years ago I found limitations in Outlook 2003 Rules. Outlook would behave weirdly and crash if there were too many rules. It also doesn't deal well with rules for non-standard headers. My solution was to create a series of VBA scripts that processed inbound emails against an external file of rules. Each rule in the file identifies a header, a condition, a value to match the condition, and the target folder when a match is made. Examples: SenderEmailAddress|includes|linkedin.com| \\Personal Folders\I...

Outlook location of email messages in single file?
Where can this one file be located in Outlook 2003/2007? I need to copy this file over to a new hard drive. PanJammi@hotmail.com The location is dependent upon the O/S. You can read more here about the PST and where to locate it: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/aboutpst.htm "PanJammi" <PanJammi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8B81F6E-B9E7-42DE-8E33-DAD1567ED0A3@microsoft.com... > Where can this one file be located in Outlook 2003/2007? I need to copy this > file over to a new hard drive. > > PanJammi@hotmail.com ...

Importing contacts #3
Hello! When I am trying to import contacts I can´t import the account that they belong to. Does anyone know why? The error message tells me that the format is wrong. need more information . you have imported accounts and now you are importing contacts? if you are in CRM 3.0 or CRM 4.0 and what tool are u using? the best way is to import just 10 rows and see where there is wrong. Format erros mostly appear for data and time . if you are using Microsoft data migration tool , then i might help you . /Aamir On Jun 13, 10:11 pm, Martin <Mar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Code for emailing Excel workbooks will only attach activeworkbook
Hi, Ok so when a non-programmer tries to take code and "tweak it" for a different use...here's what happens....it doesn't work. Can anyone help? What I've got is an Excel file I'm using as a template. I run a macro (not the one below) to create a report for Zone 1. I save the file with a name like "December report - Zone 1". Then I run the macro for Zone 2 and save the file with a name like "December report - Zone 2" and so on for many zones. Within the Excel file there is a sheet called Email. On the Email sheet, starting wit...

New contact form
When adding a new contact Outlook always shows the Business address as the default option on the Addresses section of the form. " Home" and "Other" are available from the dropdown list. Is there anyway that I can change the default first option to "Home"? When adding new contacts I often forget to change this dropdown and I don't normally have any use for Business addresses when maintaining club member information. ChrisW <chris@chrisdeletethiswillsher.co.uk> wrote: > When adding a new contact Outlook always shows the Business address as > the...

How to send email on alternate email address
Hello, Lets imagine that some contact has several email addresses - CRM3.0 supports 3 addresses. But when I click button "Send" - email is sent to the first addresses. Is there possibility to change address before sending email? ...

email recipients
Outlook 2000 - Is there a limitation on the number of email recipients when sending email? And, where is the "control" to adjust it. PLEASE HELP! Ask your mail server administrator. It's the server's limit that matters. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Bernice" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3fe501c4aa14$a1c5f730$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Outlook 2000 - Is there a limitation...

Attempt to view email causes crash
My daughter has an email that crashes Outlook 2003 every time she loads it, as it is the most recent email - and obviously (as the Preview Pane is on) is causing it to fail to preview it and it crashes. I've had this problem, and have tried to get her (remotely) to press the Preview pane button as soon as Outlook loads, and then delete the offending email. I've successfully done this in the past. But it doesn't work for her; Outlook freezes too quickly. Is there any other way out of this? -- Neil Start Outlook one time with the /nopreview switch. Use Outlook's F1 hel...

Receiving email .NET 2.0
Similar to sending email from my .NET 2.0 Application I would like to read the content of incoming emails. Please advise what is available. Thank you Samuel Am 11.03.2010 19:21, schrieb Samuel: > Similar to sending email from my .NET 2.0 Application I would like to read > the content of incoming emails. > > Please advise what is available. There are many APIs available, depending on your scenario: Outlook automation, Exchange (CDO, MAPI), MAPI, IMAP, POP3, ... How are you planning to access the mailbox? -- M S Herfried K. Wagner M V P <URL...

Exchange 2003 Bridgehead Server
Hi I have a Exchange 2003 Organisation that consists of two adminstrative groups: First Admin Group: 1 Exchange Server 2003 hosts all the mailboxes and public folders 1 Exchange Server 2003 functions as the bridgehead server between the the two Admin Groups (hosts no mailboxes, no public folders) Second Admin Group: 1 Exchange Server 2003 hosts all the mailboxes and public folders 1 Exchange Server 2003 functions as the bridgehead server between the two Admin Groups and the internet mail (hosts no mailboxes, no public folders) My two questions are: Why do I have a lot of transactional...

email report in body of email
Does anyone know how to email report data within the body of an email rather than as an attachment? Thanks! Stacey ...

Calendar and Contacts don't sync w server
I purchased my MacBook Pro, OS Snow Leopard, last month and had the Apple Store transfer my data from my PC - MS Outlook, etc. All of the Outlook calendar data was transferred to iCal and contact info to Address Book. Then, I realized I would need Entourage to sync w our work exchange server properly so I bought it and had it installed. Now, the Entourage Mail works with our server fine, but Calendar and Contacts don't. Anyone?? PHD On 1/3/10 4:15 PM, Peter deVries wrote: > I purchased my MacBook Pro, OS Snow Leopard, last month and had the Apple > Store transfer m...