Exchange + IMAP = pain

I have an Exchange Server configured. We are using RPC over HTTPS, so
all of our users are able to send mail from anywhere without messing
with VPNs and SMTP server settings. Things are good.

The issue: We have added a Cisco Unity server. It delivers voicemail
to Outlook using IMAP. If a user wants to forward a voice message to a
third party it is sent using the SMTP server that is associated with
the IMAP account. This poses an obvious problem as we do not have an
SMTP server that is accessible from outside of our network.

Is there a way to tell Outlook to send all messages using the Exchange
server and to never use the SMTP server?

0
ddom (2)

Glate <ddom@dayna.org> wrote:
> I have an Exchange Server configured. We are using RPC over HTTPS, so
> all of our users are able to send mail from anywhere without messing
> with VPNs and SMTP server settings. Things are good.
>
> The issue: We have added a Cisco Unity server. It delivers voicemail
> to Outlook using IMAP.

IMAP is for receiving - not sending. Can't the Unity server  be integrated
directly into your Exchange organization, or send mail to the mailbox
directly using SMTP? I'd be very surprised if this configuration was
standard or mandatory; it could become a real administrative nightmare.

>  If a user wants to forward a voice message to a
> third party it is sent using the SMTP server that is associated with
> the IMAP account. This poses an obvious problem as we do not have an
> SMTP server that is accessible from outside of our network.

It doesn't need to be accessible from outside your network, does it?. If you
do want to stick with this configuration in Outlook, you could set up the
IMAP
account to use your Exchange server for SMTP, and authenticate to it.
Authenticated relay is enabled by default.

> Is there a way to tell Outlook to send all messages using the Exchange
> server and to never use the SMTP server?

Exchange *is* an SMTP server - I think you mean, use the Exchange *account*
instead of the Internet mail account. See above....but again, there has to
be a better way.

Check out
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/01/UnityExchange/default.aspx
for starters....but you might also post in microsoft.public.exchange.admin
for more help.

0
lanwench (7567)
4/19/2007 12:38:06 PM
Once again since you decided to comment on the wording of my post
rather than try to provide a solution:

- We have 1 Account configured right now: Exchange (RPC/HTTPS) and one
we are looking to add: IMAP/SMTP
- All of our users have laptops and travel a lot. The same users are
used to having email simply "work". They do not need to select which
account to send with, they do not need to mess with SMTP settings when
they are on different networks. They simply send email and it gets
delivered. This is how it must work going forward.
- We do not have an SMTP server that is "available on the internet"
for the users to relay mail through. We use Microsoft Exchange Hosted
Services (frontbridge) for our email, meaning that SMTP (port 25) is
not open to the internet. We have an access list that only allows
connections by selected hosts.

I am looking for a solution that would tell Outlook that when an email
is received, regardless of how it was received.. it needs to be sent
using the Exchange Server. It would obviously need to use the Exchange
ACCOUNT to do that.

This is for a Unity Connection server, which uses IMAP, not SMTP, and
cannot integrate into Exchange.

On Apr 19, 5:38 am, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwe...@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
> Glate <d...@dayna.org> wrote:
> > I have an Exchange Server configured. We are using RPC over HTTPS, so
> > all of our users are able to send mail from anywhere without messing
> > with VPNs and SMTP server settings. Things are good.
>
> > The issue: We have added a Cisco Unity server. It delivers voicemail
> > to Outlook using IMAP.
>
> IMAP is for receiving - not sending. Can't the Unity server  be integrated
> directly into your Exchange organization, or send mail to the mailbox
> directly using SMTP? I'd be very surprised if this configuration was
> standard or mandatory; it could become a real administrative nightmare.
>
> >  If a user wants to forward a voice message to a
> > third party it is sent using the SMTP server that is associated with
> > the IMAP account. This poses an obvious problem as we do not have an
> > SMTP server that is accessible from outside of our network.
>
> It doesn't need to be accessible from outside your network, does it?. If you
> do want to stick with this configuration in Outlook, you could set up the
> IMAP
> account to use your Exchange server for SMTP, and authenticate to it.
> Authenticated relay is enabled by default.
>

> > Is there a way to tell Outlook to send all messages using the Exchange
> > server and to never use the SMTP server?
>
> Exchange *is* an SMTP server - I think you mean, use the Exchange *account*
> instead of the Internet mail account. See above....but again, there has to
> be a better way.
>
> Check outhttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/01/UnityExcha...
> for starters....but you might also post in microsoft.public.exchange.admin
> for more help.

0
ddom (2)

Two Exchange Server
I have Company A with Location A and Location B. Location B implemented a separate Exchange Server, HOW can I get mail to flow to A & B with same PUBLIC DNS NAME? How can I reroute SMTP to another server but not in the same Exchange site or ORG? I just want mail to go to next set of mailboxes at another location if it does not find it in the first location - WHEN different Exchange site / org altogether. Hope it makes sense. On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:43:21 -0600, "Ed" <edg@wti.com> wrote: >I have Company A with Location A and Location B. Location B implement...

Exchange Not Connected

Restarting Exchange 5.5
I manually shutdown the Exchange Services 5.5 after a conversion to SBS 2003. I did not move over the shared contacts. Is there anyway to get to those shared contacts without restarting Exchange 5.5? If I have to restart Exchange 5.5, is there a whitepaper that I can refer to? Thanks, Dave "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I manually shutdown the Exchange Services 5.5 after a >conversion to SBS 2003. > >I did not move over the shared contacts. Is there anyway >to get to those shared contacts without restarting >Exchange 5.5...

Exchange 2003 IMF licensing
Can anyone tell me what the current stand is on licensing for the Intelligent Message Filtering add-on is? When I first saw this on the MS site there was a clear indication that Software Assurance for both Exchange Server and CALs was a requirement. I've just spent an hour trying to find this information, I even downloaded the filter and started the install to read the EULA, also searched google to no avail. Any help is much appreciated! My understanding is that microsoft backed away from their original position, and as long as you have an exchange license you can use the IMF. Go...

Exchange 2003 SRS & Removing a 5.5 server
I am removing an Exchange 5.5 server from a EX2003 administrative group. I connect with the 5.5 admin to the SRS server for that administrative group and notice 2 things. 1) the connectors I had deleted from the 5.5 server 2 weeks ago appear under the connections in the 5.5 admin 2) when I try to delete the 5.5 server I get a message that there are 190+ mailboxes on the server. All of the mailboxes it claims are there had been moved off of the 5.5 server 2 weeks ago. There appears to be something wrong with the SRS. Can I delete the 5.5 server despite the warning about the mailboxes ...

Redirection to secure exchange virtual directory failed
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C70285.9805C790 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I followed this KB - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555053 and make = sure that the /owaasp directory have no certificate used or encryption = and changed the "Custom error" file to the URL - /owaasp/owahttps.asp = but I still failed to redirect the http://mail.abc.com to = https://mail.abc.com/exchange. I received this error message : You are not authorized to view this page HTTP Error...

Outlook 2003/ Exchange 2003/Dialup
Can you help I have a laptop configured with Outlook 2003 to check the email server for emails, when the machine is taken offline and then a dialup is used it should pickup and send emails succesfully. I seem to have a problem that I need to have dialup before exchange server in the list for which one checks first. However by having this one first when the machine gos back on the network it does not send emails correctly. They come back undelivered. If I exchange server first in the list then dialup will receive but you cannot send via dialup. Any ideas???? I hope so David ...

Two SBS exchange servers one Internet Domain
I work for a non-profit company. We have two seperate locations. Both locations have a DSL connection with a constant IP address. We have two SBS 2003 servers. Currently I have them setup like this: Corporate server: I have exchange setup with all the users from both locations. DNS points to this server to send emails. branch server: I have only the users setup that are in this location. I setup a POP3 connector with these users pointing them to my corporate server. It pulls down the email every 30 minutes. I have setup the "forward all mail with unresolved recepients to host&q...

exchange 5.5
I'm running exchange 5.5 on a server that is also the Primary DC. Inbound emails are being delivered 1 - 2 days later. We are using Outlook xp as our client-side application. Any Ideas? Thanks in Advance ...

Cannotconnect to Exchange Server from a RDP session or server local machine
Please excuse the double posting as I wasn't sure which group to post this in. I'm having issues using Outlook from a server desktop, an RDP or ICA connection. I have remote users who connect using Citrix. They logon to the Citrix server desktop (Windows 2003 Server) and use Outlook from there. They can also use Outlook from within Citrix as it is a Published Application. I know some of you are going to suggest why don't they use OWA but let's not get into that. I can log onto any workstation here in the office and connect to the Exchange server and open their Outlook. W...

Exchange vs POP3
Hi, I have both Exchange (Need VPN Connection to Access the Exchange Server) and POP3 (No Need for VPN) accounts for emails... I normally surf the Web without VPN connection, therefore, when I open Outlook, it opens up the default profile and then due to the fact that the Exchange server is not accessible without VPN, it pops and asks me to work offline... I fogot what I did last time that I didn't have to click "Retry" or "Work Offline" and Outlook checks my POP3 accounts automatically...anyone knows how to fix this??? Thanks a lot, J- ...

I new to this Exchange server
Can someone please help... I'm having a problem where I cannot receive email from a specific person... and nothing has changed could some point me in the right direction on where to look for answer... I can send her email but not receive her response.... I can email her external from the company(gmail) and I'm able to receive her mail. It is something on my side but I have no idea where to start... I know this is sad but I am the person responsible to fix this issue. Thanks for any help! Kimberly On 24 Jul 2006 13:35:07 -0700, "kdegonia" <kdegonia@gmail.com> wrote...

New Exchange 2003 mailboxes not accessible via OWA 5.5
We successfully migrated our old mail server with Exchange 5.5/Windows 2000 to a new mail server running Exchange 2003/Windows 2003. All * old * user accounts and mailboxes are working fine and are accessible as before via our unchanged OWA 5.5 on our unchanged Windows 2000 web server (we currently do have not the resources to upgrade this server as well). The problem is that after adding some * new * users to Windows 2003 / Exchange 2003 these users cannot access their mailboxes via OWA 5.5 as they receive the following error after successful authentication: "The Microsoft Exchange Se...

Does the 'Expires After' message option require Microsoft Exchange on sender side, reciever or both?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0178_01C4F8D8.6864AFF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have asked this question in two Outlook newsgroups and nobody has been = able to give me a definite answer.=20 Does the 'Expires After' message option require Microsoft Exchange on = the=20 sender side, receiver side, or both? Thanks. ------=_NextPart_000_0178_01C4F8D8.6864AFF0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HT...

Exchange 2000 Postmaster account
I have Exchange 2000 installed and the administrator account has the email address postmaster@"domain". I would like to remove that address and assign it to another user account. Unfortunately I am unable to remove it from the administrator, but can view it. The administrator doesnt have an exchange mailbox. I have read that the admin doesnt have a mailbox for security reasons but that doesnt help me move that address. Any ideas ? ...

Exchange 2003 System Backup Recommendations???
What is a good strategy for backing up the Exchange System? By system I mean the disks (program files etc) and System State of Exchange. I'm currently backing up the Exchange DB, and mailboxes as well as my Domain Controllers (1 DC daily, the other DC once a week). The Admin before was doing a weekly full system backup and Differentials the rest of the week. The diff's never complete. Is once a week good or are nightly fulls better? Thanks for any info- ...

Exchange in Recovery Mode #4
I'm SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003. When a user opens outlook while on the network we get this message: Exchange is currently in recovery mode. Have looked all over and can not find an answer. Thanks, Dwayne Sun Communications Inc. On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:29:21 -0800, Sun Communications <dwayne@suncommunicationsinc.com> wrote: >I'm SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003. When a user opens outlook while on the >network we get this message: Exchange is currently in recovery mode. Have >looked all over and can not find an answer. > >Thanks, > >Dwayne >Sun Communi...

Outlook 2003 on VISTA with Exchange 5.5
Hi all! I have a new laptop running Vista Home Premium, and Office 2003. It's in an office situation with a 5.5 Exchange Server. Now I know Outlook 2007 isn't compatible with 5.5, but I've never had issues with Outlook 2003. When I try to get it to connect, the "Check Names" button gets me a username/password prompt, and no matter what I enter there, it won't take it, and I can get no further. I've tried using DOMAIN\user - no difference. Additional info (if it helps): It's still an NT4 Domain. The Vista machine can't join the domain (Home premium...

Exchange 2003 #3
Is there a newsgroup for Exchange 2003 on the microsoft.public news server? Thanks -- David Miller, MCP Network Engineer MOAA davidm@moaa.org "David Miller" <davidm@troa.org> wrote in news:e4X3sMuqDHA.1632@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl: > Is there a newsgroup for Exchange 2003 on the microsoft.public news > server? > Sure, feel free to ask here. Just specify which version you are referring to. Regards, -- Arlo Clizer Exchange MVP FAQ located at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm Newsgroup archives at http://groups.google.com ...

Best Practice to Upgrade HD for Exchange 2003
We are looking to upgrade the hard drives for an Exchange 2003 server. They DB (only) is currently on IDE running a soft mirror with second drive and the new install would be a SCSI setup. We also have a remote backup of DB offsite so my first question would be... - After the SCSI installation is complete, could i just rename the drive to the original setup, restore the DB from my remote storage and go home early? -or Does Exchange require some special configuration before of after the change? -anything I should be aware of? Also, I was thinking of going to SATA way but according to a Dell t...

Exchange 2003 Performance Monitoring
We use a software called up.time to monitor all our servers and i recently started setting up our new Exchange 2003 server to be monitored for a number of different things and to page me when/if there are any problems. One of the monitors I setup is for the CPU. If the CPU stays at 100% for more than 10 minutes then it pages me because that could mean a problem has arisen. The only problem with this is that INDEXING is run every night on different stores from anywhere between 1am and 4am. As I can imagine you see where this is going, every fricken night indexing makes my pager go off all night...

Permanent failure reported by policy group provider on Exchange 2003 SP2 server.
I recently added another Windows 2003 Server and added it to the domain. I then installed Exchange System Manager on this new server. (I applied SP2 for Exchange on this server). Since then I have been getting the following error in my event log. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeAL Event Category: Service Control Event ID: 8231 Date: 6/14/2006 Time: 8:06:13 AM User: N/A Computer: MAIL1 Description: Permanent failure reported by policy group provider for 'CN=System Policies,CN=PA,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration...

Exchange LDAP Error
Hey all, We have a forest wtih multiple child domains consisiting of 2000/2003 servers. On a larger child domain (larger.domain.com) we host an Exchange 2003 server. This server hosts additional exchange stores for other child domains. One child domian (smaller.domain.com) has a local domain administrator that uses Active Directory Users and Computers to adminster accounts for his users with exchange mailboxes hosted on our domain (larger.domain.com). He only has 2 DCs, one of which is the GC for his domain. The issue we face is that our E2K3 server reports frequently the followi...

routing smtp email between exchange and domino
hi to everyone... your goal is to migrate the mail server from exchange to domino... we have, behind the main exchange server, a domino server that share the same mail domain and where new user have their new mailboxes... i've used the microsoft connector for lotus notes during the coexistece of the two mail system, and everything works fine... directory sincronization and mail transport... but we have problem with html mails... i goggled and i'm discovered that the connector have this terrible bug: no good conversion of html mail :( so i find that i can bypass this routing messages b...

Exchange 2k3
I have a real quick question regarding Internet Message Formats and Exchange 2k3. Basically, I'd like all exchange users to email using the default Internet Message. The domain is * for this rule. However, whenever users email the domain: x.domain.org - (a local domain btw, it's a unix machine that accepts smtp) - i would like uuencode, plain text used only. However, my problem is that the new domain I created in Internet Message Formats doesn't work. I created ad added the domain - x.domain.org - and set the message format to uuencode and never use "rich-text format&...