error: end of file reached

Hi,
I have Outlook Express 5.02 on the Mac (OS 8.6). I was running Speed =
disk=20
on my Mac and it hung. Now, when I try to launch Outlook I get an error=20
message that says: "An error has occurred. The end of file was reached." =
and=20
Outlook fails to launch. Per Knowledge base article 296844 I have:
1. Deleted the Identity preferences file.
2. Deleted the Outlook Express preferences file.
3. Rebuilt the desktop.
4. Tried rebuilding the Outlook Express database (by holding the option =
key=20
while launching. I recieved the same "end of file" message when I tried =
a=20
standard rebuild and when I tried a complex rebuild. Followed by=20
"Rebuilding failed, if there were out of memory errors try increasing =
the=20
memory allocated to Outlook Express. If there were no memory errors it =
is=20
likely that your database cannot be repaired."

There were no further instructions in the knowledge base. Any other =
ideas?=20
Are all my emails and address book entries a goner? Would Disk Warrior =
or=20
some other utility help in recovering my database?

Thanks,
Lisa
0
anonymous (74722)

Try posting this in an Outlook Express group for the Mac platform - this
group supports Outlook from Microsoft Office for Windows.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After scratching one's head,
Lisa <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked this group:
| Hi,
| I have Outlook Express 5.02 on the Mac (OS 8.6). I was running Speed
| disk on my Mac and it hung. Now, when I try to launch Outlook I get
| an error message that says: "An error has occurred. The end of file
| was reached." and Outlook fails to launch. Per Knowledge base article
| 296844 I have:
| 1. Deleted the Identity preferences file.
| 2. Deleted the Outlook Express preferences file.
| 3. Rebuilt the desktop.
| 4. Tried rebuilding the Outlook Express database (by holding the
| option key while launching. I recieved the same "end of file" message
| when I tried a standard rebuild and when I tried a complex rebuild.
| Followed by "Rebuilding failed, if there were out of memory errors
| try increasing the memory allocated to Outlook Express. If there were
| no memory errors it is likely that your database cannot be repaired."
|
| There were no further instructions in the knowledge base. Any other
| ideas? Are all my emails and address book entries a goner? Would Disk
| Warrior or some other utility help in recovering my database?
|
| Thanks,
| Lisa

0
MillyS (3228)
7/25/2004 12:01:49 AM
Did that, but the site doesn't seem to get much traffic so I thought I =
would=20
try the PC site. Interestingly, when I searched the knowledgebase for =
articles=20
on Mac Outlook and end of file I found nothing. However, when I just =
looked=20
up Outlook and end of file I turned up the article I was hoping to find. =
So I=20
thought I'd cover all my bases and address this group, as well.

Thanks,
Lisa

0
anonymous (74722)
7/25/2004 6:18:29 AM
But Outlook and Outlook Express are still two completely different programs,
even on the Mac, so you won't likely find much help in this group either
:-)  Try this Mac-specific OE group:

     microsoft.public.internet.outlookexpress.mac

If you're accessing the Microsoft newsgroups through the MS Product Support
Services "Community Newsgroups" web interface, start at
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp, then click the link
for "internet.outlookexpress.mac" on the left

Finally, you might also want to check out
http://insideOE.tomsterdam.com/resources.htm#oemac for links to other
helpful Mac OE sites.  Good luck!

--
Jocelyn Fiorello