Error clicking on e-mail address in IE and sending via Outlook

I have several Windows XP SP2 /Office 2003 SP2 workstations that are unable
to click on e-mail addresses on a WEB page in Internet Explorer for example.
What should happen is a new Message window should pop open and I can send
the e-mail just fine.  Instead, however, we get the following error:

"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. The operation failed. An object
could not be found."

We have done the following:

1.  Verified the web pages are fine - as it works fine from a majority of
the machines.  This is only an issue on about 10 workstations.
2.  Verified the "Microsoft Office Outlook" is set in Internet Options -
Programs tab.
3.  Uninstalled/reinstalled MS Office numerous times.

We have in the past deleted the users profile and it works for a short
period of time, but it does come back again.  What can be causing this or
due you have any troubleshooting tips?  Also, what object is it looking for?
We do not have the time and resources to continue rebuilding user profiles.

For the record, MS Office works fine in every other way on the affected
machines.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Rich

0
rfandma (2)

rfandma <rfandma@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

> I have several Windows XP SP2 /Office 2003 SP2 workstations that are
> unable to click on e-mail addresses on a WEB page in Internet
> Explorer for example. What should happen is a new Message window
> should pop open and I can send the e-mail just fine.  Instead,
> however, we get the following error:
> "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. The operation failed. An
> object could not be found."

The first thing I'd do is to change the default mail program in IE to
something else, try it once, then change it back.  The next thing I'd do is
verify the folder options for the "mailto" object.  (File type "URL: MailTo
Protocol")  The action should be "open", the application should be Outlook,
and "Use DDE" should be checked.  Finally, I'd try a new mail profile.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

invalid email address

cannot open hyper links in outlook