Empty From: field

Hi.
We use a exchange 2003 server and I have notice that my outlook 2003
client behaves strange if the From tag in the header looks like this;
From: �� <sender@domain.com>

I�ve hooked up Thunderbird and it shows the From field as I think it
should, instead of a blank from field it shows sender@domain.com

If the header looks like this; From: sender@domain.com
or like this; From:  �name� <sender@domain.com>
it works just fine.
The problem is the first example�
Any ideas?
Cheers
Jonas
0
barre (2)

Jonas <barre@gargamel.nu> wrote:

> We use a exchange 2003 server and I have notice that my outlook 2003
> client behaves strange if the From tag in the header looks like this;
> From: �� <sender@domain.com>

There's nothing syntactically wrong with this.  It is a perfectly valid From
header.

> I�ve hooked up Thunderbird and it shows the From field as I think it
> should, instead of a blank from field it shows sender@domain.com

What Thunderbird shows has no bearing on it at all.  Whoever sent the
message wanted a blank "From" name nd that what s/he sent, apparently.
Outlook uses the value in quotes, if they exist, as the string that shows in
its From field.  It's the way Outlook is designed to work.

> If the header looks like this; From: sender@domain.com

In this case, there is no friendly name, so Outlook shows the mail address,
probably enclosed in apostrophes, like 'sender@domain.com'.

> or like this; From:  �name� <sender@domain.com>

And, in this case, Outlook will show the From field as "Name".  Since the
first example contained nothing between the quotes, that's what Outlook will
show.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/14/2006 4:40:44 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:
 > What Thunderbird shows has no bearing on it at all.  Whoever sent the
 > message wanted a blank "From" name nd that what s/he sent, apparently.
 > Outlook uses the value in quotes, if they exist, as the string that
 > shows in its From field.  It's the way Outlook is designed to work.

Ok. I see, but the main problem is when I hit the reply button on a mail
with a blank "" name Outlook doesn't put the mail address in the address
field. But the mail address comes up in the message body like this: