Emails not sending #2

Yesterday I posted a question, which I will restate below.

My email goes into the outbox and basically sits there.  There is no
acknowledgement that anything was sent and as a result, nothing shows up in
the sent folder.  I don't get an error message or even see a time out.  I
was having the same issue with Outlook Express and Thunderbird.  I talked
with Comcast and they suggested that I change the ports to 587 from 25.  I
did that and they worked.

Just to fill in a couple of more pieces.  Comcast is my ISP for access to
the internet and thus I use (smtp.comcast.net).  Incoming mail comes through
another isp, where my domain has been kept for many years.
(mail.vgernet.net).  I am getting mail in.

The furstrating part is that this was not a problem yesterday morning.  It
is also where I run my business.  I use Outlook as my database and
everything runs through it.

While waiting for responses, I have looked on this newsgroup for others with
the same problem.  Apparently this is not a new thing.  There were a couple
of options that I want to explore, but these go back three to five years.

1) scanpst.exe - I ran it and it found something to repair.  When I tried to
repair it, the system went into non-respond.

2) Enable logging of Internet Mail Sessions - It suggested going into the
Registry and doing  a little editing.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\......Office\9.0\Outlook\Options\Mail.  The suggestion was
to put add a logging box and then type a value.  Two things--I had no Mail
in Options (easy enough to add, though); I have a 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0.
Given that this posting goes back to 2006 and the Solution to 2003, I am
guessing that if I am going to do anything, it would be in 12.0.  Am I
correct?

Please advise

0
ncrose (24)

Nate Rosenthal wrote:
> Yesterday I posted a question, which I will restate below.
>

> My email goes into the outbox and basically sits there.  There is no
> acknowledgement that anything was sent and as a result, nothing shows
> up in the sent folder.  I don't get an error message or even see a
> time out.  I was having the same issue with Outlook Express and
> Thunderbird.  I talked with Comcast and they suggested that I change
> the ports to 587 from 25.  I did that and they worked.
>
> Just to fill in a couple of more pieces.  Comcast is my ISP for
> access to the internet and thus I use (smtp.comcast.net).  Incoming
> mail comes through another isp, where my domain has been kept for
> many years. (mail.vgernet.net).  I am getting mail in.
>
> The furstrating part is that this was not a problem yesterday
> morning.  It is also where I run my business.  I use Outlook as my
> database and everything runs through it.
>

> While waiting for responses, I have looked on this newsgroup for
> others with the same problem.  Apparently this is not a new thing. There
> were a couple of options that I want to explore, but these go
> back three to five years.
> 1) scanpst.exe - I ran it and it found something to repair.  When I
> tried to repair it, the system went into non-respond.
>
> 2) Enable logging of Internet Mail Sessions - It suggested going into
> the Registry and doing  a little editing.
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\......Office\9.0\Outlook\Options\Mail.  The
> suggestion was to put add a logging box and then type a value.  Two
> things--I had no Mail in Options (easy enough to add, though); I have
> a 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0. Given that this posting goes back to 2006 and
> the Solution to 2003, I am guessing that if I am going to do
> anything, it would be in 12.0.  Am I correct?
>
> Please advise

Not a solution I know, but...

Get a gmail account and use the gmail smtp server to send. If that works Ok,
then you at least can carry on working, and you will have established that
the problem is with your comcast smtp settings and not something system-wide
on your PC.

--
John Blessing

http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

0
nospam.lbe (55)
3/17/2008 10:54:10 PM
I'm pretty sure, it's something to do with comcast. The same thing is
happening on another computer on the network.  Are you saying set up a gmail
account with the same outlook and just using that for my outgoing email.

Will that work in terms of my outgoing email still having the return address
of my business.

"John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message
> Nate Rosenthal wrote:
>> Yesterday I posted a question, which I will restate below.
>>

>> My email goes into the outbox and basically sits there.  There is no
>> acknowledgement that anything was sent and as a result, nothing shows
>> up in the sent folder.  I don't get an error message or even see a
>> time out.  I was having the same issue with Outlook Express and
>> Thunderbird.  I talked with Comcast and they suggested that I change
>> the ports to 587 from 25.  I did that and they worked.
>>
>> Just to fill in a couple of more pieces.  Comcast is my ISP for
>> access to the internet and thus I use (smtp.comcast.net).  Incoming
>> mail comes through another isp, where my domain has been kept for
>> many years. (mail.vgernet.net).  I am getting mail in.
>>
>> The furstrating part is that this was not a problem yesterday
>> morning.  It is also where I run my business.  I use Outlook as my
>> database and everything runs through it.
>>

>> While waiting for responses, I have looked on this newsgroup for
>> others with the same problem.  Apparently this is not a new thing. There
>> were a couple of options that I want to explore, but these go
>> back three to five years.
>> 1) scanpst.exe - I ran it and it found something to repair.  When I
>> tried to repair it, the system went into non-respond.
>>
>> 2) Enable logging of Internet Mail Sessions - It suggested going into
>> the Registry and doing  a little editing.
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\......Office\9.0\Outlook\Options\Mail.  The
>> suggestion was to put add a logging box and then type a value.  Two
>> things--I had no Mail in Options (easy enough to add, though); I have
>> a 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0. Given that this posting goes back to 2006 and
>> the Solution to 2003, I am guessing that if I am going to do
>> anything, it would be in 12.0.  Am I correct?
>>
>> Please advise
>
> Not a solution I know, but...
>
> Get a gmail account and use the gmail smtp server to send. If that works
> Ok, then you at least can carry on working, and you will have established
> that the problem is with your comcast smtp settings and not something
> system-wide on your PC.
>
> --
> John Blessing
>
> http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
> http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
> bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
> http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

0
ncrose (24)
3/18/2008 5:29:02 AM
Nate Rosenthal wrote:
> I'm pretty sure, it's something to do with comcast. The same thing is
> happening on another computer on the network.  Are you saying set up
> a gmail account with the same outlook and just using that for my
> outgoing email.
> Will that work in terms of my outgoing email still having the return
> address of my business.

Yes, you can set the return address as anything you like, but google will
set the "from" to "real google addresss on behalf of your specified return
address).   Get a gmail address and try it. If you need a gmail invite, let
me know.

John Blessing

0
nospam.lbe (55)
3/18/2008 9:20:59 AM
> If you need a gmail invite, let me know.

What's new: new acct doesn't need gmail invite anymore
What's the same: Gmail is still in Beta ;-)

0
John
3/18/2008 5:21:05 PM
Thanks
"John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message
> Nate Rosenthal wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure, it's something to do with comcast. The same thing is
>> happening on another computer on the network.  Are you saying set up
>> a gmail account with the same outlook and just using that for my
>> outgoing email.
>> Will that work in terms of my outgoing email still having the return
>> address of my business.
>

> Yes, you can set the return address as anything you like, but google will
> set the "from" to "real google addresss on behalf of your specified return
> address).   Get a gmail address and try it. If you need a gmail invite,
> let me know.
>
> John Blessing

0
ncrose (24)
3/18/2008 10:31:11 PM
I have opened a gmail account.  Can you walk me through the setup.

Incoming (POP3) mail.ISP.net

Outgoing (SMTP smtp.?????.net/com

Under more settings/outgoing, should I check certain boxes?

Under more settings/advanced, should outgoing be 25 or 857 and should
anything be checked?

or

Should I set up a new outlook account

IMAP
HTTP
POP3

Thanks in advance

"John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message
> Nate Rosenthal wrote:
>> Yesterday I posted a question, which I will restate below.
>>

>> My email goes into the outbox and basically sits there.  There is no
>> acknowledgement that anything was sent and as a result, nothing shows
>> up in the sent folder.  I don't get an error message or even see a
>> time out.  I was having the same issue with Outlook Express and
>> Thunderbird.  I talked with Comcast and they suggested that I change
>> the ports to 587 from 25.  I did that and they worked.
>>
>> Just to fill in a couple of more pieces.  Comcast is my ISP for
>> access to the internet and thus I use (smtp.comcast.net).  Incoming
>> mail comes through another isp, where my domain has been kept for
>> many years. (mail.vgernet.net).  I am getting mail in.
>>
>> The furstrating part is that this was not a problem yesterday
>> morning.  It is also where I run my business.  I use Outlook as my
>> database and everything runs through it.
>>

>> While waiting for responses, I have looked on this newsgroup for
>> others with the same problem.  Apparently this is not a new thing. There
>> were a couple of options that I want to explore, but these go
>> back three to five years.
>> 1) scanpst.exe - I ran it and it found something to repair.  When I
>> tried to repair it, the system went into non-respond.
>>
>> 2) Enable logging of Internet Mail Sessions - It suggested going into
>> the Registry and doing  a little editing.
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\......Office\9.0\Outlook\Options\Mail.  The
>> suggestion was to put add a logging box and then type a value.  Two
>> things--I had no Mail in Options (easy enough to add, though); I have
>> a 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0. Given that this posting goes back to 2006 and
>> the Solution to 2003, I am guessing that if I am going to do
>> anything, it would be in 12.0.  Am I correct?
>>
>> Please advise
>
> Not a solution I know, but...
>
> Get a gmail account and use the gmail smtp server to send. If that works
> Ok, then you at least can carry on working, and you will have established
> that the problem is with your comcast smtp settings and not something
> system-wide on your PC.
>
> --
> John Blessing
>
> http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
> http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
> bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
> http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

0
ncrose (24)
3/19/2008 3:16:03 PM
I checked at gmail and it appears that IMAP is the way to go.  My only
question would be reagrding the incoming and outgoing servers.  All my
existing email comes to my my original ISP (mail.vgernet.net).  Can I keep
that as the incoming ISP and use the SMTP as gmail or must I do something
else.

Here is my issue.  I really want to keep Outlook as my email program,
because it is so flexible--I'm a headhunter and it serves as my database.  I
could go to Thunderbird (it works), but I'd rather not.  Before I spend a
lot of time importing and exporting thousands of resumes, I want to see if
there is a way to get outlook back the way I like it.

Thanks for your help

"John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message
> Nate Rosenthal wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure, it's something to do with comcast. The same thing is
>> happening on another computer on the network.  Are you saying set up
>> a gmail account with the same outlook and just using that for my
>> outgoing email.
>> Will that work in terms of my outgoing email still having the return
>> address of my business.
>

> Yes, you can set the return address as anything you like, but google will
> set the "from" to "real google addresss on behalf of your specified return
> address).   Get a gmail address and try it. If you need a gmail invite,
> let me know.
>
> John Blessing

0
ncrose (24)
3/19/2008 3:46:28 PM
Nate Rosenthal <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote:

> I checked at gmail and it appears that IMAP is the way to go.  My only
> question would be reagrding the incoming and outgoing servers.  All my
> existing email comes to my my original ISP (mail.vgernet.net).  Can I
> keep that as the incoming ISP and use the SMTP as gmail or must I do
> something else.

Why use gmail's IMAP if you don't intend to ever receive.  Change your
existing Comcast account to point to gmail's SMTP server.  Do not change
your email address.  Enable authentication of the outgoing server.  Select
the "Log on using" option and specify your gmail credentials.  The mail's
sender will be your Comcast address, but it will be sent via gmail's server.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
3/19/2008 6:00:02 PM
I'm not totally sure where you are coming from.

Here is my set up and has been for some time.

In outlook, I have my email account set up as a POP3 with my incoming mail
set up to come through an ISP that I have been working with for years.  The
POP3 server is mail.vgernet.net    It is working fine.  All my email is
coming into Outlook.  My outgoing server has been set up through Comcast
smtp.comcast.net   Until Sunday that was fine.  Now the emails sit in the
outbox.  Comcast won't help me.

Should I be leaving that part alone with comcast as the smtp or changing it
to gmail.  Then I assume you are saying on the outgoing server tab, I should
enable authentication and put in my gmail user name and password.  Nothing
in advanced??  I have gmail set up as a pop3, do I need to do anything on
the gmail side.

When you say that my sender is comcast, how will that be.  Are you referring
to my return email address.  That is my business email address, which is
tied in with the vgernet.

FWIW, that is a small ISP called Inter-Access (www.vgernet.net).  I have
used them for twenty plus years.

I hope I understand this correctly.

> Nate Rosenthal <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I checked at gmail and it appears that IMAP is the way to go.  My only
>> question would be reagrding the incoming and outgoing servers.  All my
>> existing email comes to my my original ISP (mail.vgernet.net).  Can I
>> keep that as the incoming ISP and use the SMTP as gmail or must I do
>> something else.
>
> Why use gmail's IMAP if you don't intend to ever receive.  Change your
> existing Comcast account to point to gmail's SMTP server.  Do not change
> your email address.  Enable authentication of the outgoing server.  Select
> the "Log on using" option and specify your gmail credentials.  The mail's
> sender will be your Comcast address, but it will be sent via gmail's
> server.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
ncrose (24)
3/19/2008 7:18:38 PM
Nate Rosenthal <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote:

> Here is my set up and has been for some time.
>
> In outlook, I have my email account set up as a POP3 with my incoming
> mail set up to come through an ISP that I have been working with for
> years.  The POP3 server is mail.vgernet.net    It is working fine. All my
> email is coming into Outlook.  My outgoing server has been set
> up through Comcast smtp.comcast.net   Until Sunday that was fine. Now the
> emails sit in the outbox.  Comcast won't help me.

I may have misread your prior postings.  I thought both your incoming and
outgoing were through Comast.  Nonetheless, the important part of what I
said still applies.  Create your gmail account and change the outgoing
server of your existing account to uise gmail's SMTP server.

> Should I be leaving that part alone with comcast as the smtp or
> changing it to gmail.

Leave the incoming alone.  Change the outgoing to gmail.

> Then I assume you are saying on the outgoing
> server tab, I should enable authentication and put in my gmail user
> name and password.  Nothing in advanced??

I'm assumed you'd read gmail's instructions.  Perhaps that assumption is
unwarranted.  Yes, enable authentication and yes, use your gmail
credentials.  Specify 465 for the port and check the box labeled "This
server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)".

> I have gmail set up as a
> pop3, do I need to do anything on the gmail side.

No, other than set it up for either POP or IMAP.

> When you say that my sender is comcast, how will that be.  Are you
> referring to my return email address.  That is my business email
> address, which is tied in with the vgernet.

As I said, it looks like I misinterpreted your earlier posts.  Don't change
anything about the sending address or the incoming server.  Your goal is
strictly to change the outgoing service from Comcast to gmail.

> FWIW, that is a small ISP called Inter-Access (www.vgernet.net).  I
> have used them for twenty plus years.

Don't they supply outgoing servers?

I wonder if some Trekkies started that network.  V'ger was the nemesis in
the 1979 movie "Start Trek: The Motion Picture".
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
3/20/2008 11:53:27 AM
Thank you for the info. I wasn't that clear on what my set up was.  I had
looked at gmail's instructions briefly, but not in depth.  I will follow
this.  I really don't want to abandon Outlook.   It sounds as though it
should work, but then again....

> Nate Rosenthal <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Here is my set up and has been for some time.
>>
>> In outlook, I have my email account set up as a POP3 with my incoming
>> mail set up to come through an ISP that I have been working with for
>> years.  The POP3 server is mail.vgernet.net    It is working fine. All my
>> email is coming into Outlook.  My outgoing server has been set
>> up through Comcast smtp.comcast.net   Until Sunday that was fine. Now the
>> emails sit in the outbox.  Comcast won't help me.
>
> I may have misread your prior postings.  I thought both your incoming and
> outgoing were through Comast.  Nonetheless, the important part of what I
> said still applies.  Create your gmail account and change the outgoing
> server of your existing account to uise gmail's SMTP server.
>
>> Should I be leaving that part alone with comcast as the smtp or
>> changing it to gmail.
>
> Leave the incoming alone.  Change the outgoing to gmail.
>
>> Then I assume you are saying on the outgoing
>> server tab, I should enable authentication and put in my gmail user
>> name and password.  Nothing in advanced??
>
> I'm assumed you'd read gmail's instructions.  Perhaps that assumption is
> unwarranted.  Yes, enable authentication and yes, use your gmail
> credentials.  Specify 465 for the port and check the box labeled "This
> server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)".
>
>> I have gmail set up as a
>> pop3, do I need to do anything on the gmail side.
>
> No, other than set it up for either POP or IMAP.
>
>> When you say that my sender is comcast, how will that be.  Are you
>> referring to my return email address.  That is my business email
>> address, which is tied in with the vgernet.
>
> As I said, it looks like I misinterpreted your earlier posts.  Don't
> change anything about the sending address or the incoming server.  Your
> goal is strictly to change the outgoing service from Comcast to gmail.
>
>> FWIW, that is a small ISP called Inter-Access (www.vgernet.net).  I
>> have used them for twenty plus years.
>
> Don't they supply outgoing servers?
>
> I wonder if some Trekkies started that network.  V'ger was the nemesis in
> the 1979 movie "Start Trek: The Motion Picture".
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
ncrose (24)
3/20/2008 1:44:52 PM
Thanks I think it's going to work.

Once question though.  When I send out from outlook, a copy of the email
that I sent shows up in the sent folder of gamil.  Can I get these deleted
automatically or do I need to go in there from time to time and delete.
> Nate Rosenthal <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Here is my set up and has been for some time.
>>
>> In outlook, I have my email account set up as a POP3 with my incoming
>> mail set up to come through an ISP that I have been working with for
>> years.  The POP3 server is mail.vgernet.net    It is working fine. All my
>> email is coming into Outlook.  My outgoing server has been set
>> up through Comcast smtp.comcast.net   Until Sunday that was fine. Now the
>> emails sit in the outbox.  Comcast won't help me.
>
> I may have misread your prior postings.  I thought both your incoming and
> outgoing were through Comast.  Nonetheless, the important part of what I
> said still applies.  Create your gmail account and change the outgoing
> server of your existing account to uise gmail's SMTP server.
>
>> Should I be leaving that part alone with comcast as the smtp or
>> changing it to gmail.
>
> Leave the incoming alone.  Change the outgoing to gmail.
>
>> Then I assume you are saying on the outgoing
>> server tab, I should enable authentication and put in my gmail user
>> name and password.  Nothing in advanced??
>
> I'm assumed you'd read gmail's instructions.  Perhaps that assumption is
> unwarranted.  Yes, enable authentication and yes, use your gmail
> credentials.  Specify 465 for the port and check the box labeled "This
> server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)".
>
>> I have gmail set up as a
>> pop3, do I need to do anything on the gmail side.
>
> No, other than set it up for either POP or IMAP.
>
>> When you say that my sender is comcast, how will that be.  Are you
>> referring to my return email address.  That is my business email
>> address, which is tied in with the vgernet.
>
> As I said, it looks like I misinterpreted your earlier posts.  Don't
> change anything about the sending address or the incoming server.  Your
> goal is strictly to change the outgoing service from Comcast to gmail.
>
>> FWIW, that is a small ISP called Inter-Access (www.vgernet.net).  I
>> have used them for twenty plus years.
>
> Don't they supply outgoing servers?
>
> I wonder if some Trekkies started that network.  V'ger was the nemesis in
> the 1979 movie "Start Trek: The Motion Picture".
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
ncrose (24)
3/23/2008 4:01:34 PM
Nate Rosenthal <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote:

> Thanks I think it's going to work.

Good.

> Once question though.  When I send out from outlook, a copy of the
> email that I sent shows up in the sent folder of gamil.  Can I get
> these deleted automatically or do I need to go in there from time to
> time and delete.

I believe that's a function of the "Save copies of messages" setting on
Tools>Options>E-mail Options.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)

SBS 2003 and Email Not Receiving

Emails #8
i am recieving my emails ten minutes after everyone else in the company and it is started to effect urgent matters, i havegone into outlok tools to see if i could change anything but that doesnt seem to have worked, can someone please help What version of Outlook are you using? If Outlook 2003 do you have the Junk Mail filter turned on? Is this an Exchange Environment? If so, what version. "Kim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:fb2901c43e6f$d095b2a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... >i am recieving my emails ten minutes after everyone else > in the co...

Retrieve Lost Email

can't send or receive emails

multiple email identities

how do i send an e_mail from outlook?
please show me how do i send an e_mail from outlook? gholinezhad wrote: > please show me how do i send an e_mail from outlook? Is this real? Click on "New", write your mail and then click "Send" ...

Mail will not Send/Receive automatically
I have outlook set up to send/receive every minute but it suddenly stopped doing so. Anyone have ideas why? Robin Several. For starters, a one minute polling interval is just nuts. It is difficult to determine why automatic polling is failing when you do not post your mail account type, connection type and polling settings. If automatic polling once worked and now fails, you also need to examine what changes were made to your setup before automatic polling stopped working. In general, here are the reasons automatic polling might fail in Outlook: 1. You have created an unrealistic po...

VB Macro #2

Re: teach me how to send friends email

VCR to DVD Part 2

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

no access to send internet email

set print area #2

Email Statements from Collection Module

delays in recieving outside emails

OEM publisher 2002 Sp1-2

Outlook 2002 won't send attachments
Hi All, I can send regular mail. But if I add an attachment it won't complete the task. I can send pics using outlook express no problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brad ...

email attachments
Why is Word 2007 opening all my email attachments? It probably isn't. Outlook 2007 has a new text editor that looks just like Word 2007, but it is in reality a separate text editor in its own .dll package. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "josie" <josie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5961A60C-462F-4CBA-A276-4A8D0F7FB1F5@microsoft.com... > Why is Word 2007 opening all my email attachments? It depends on which file of file or file extension the attachment is. Each type of file extension (*.txt, *.doc etc.) has a default program. It ...