Duplicate personal folders problem

Hello all,

I have a problem with Outlook 2003 and I hope someone can help me resolve it

I imported a PST file from Outlook XP that was on a different machine, and
now I have two versions of Personal Folders in my All Mail Folders list.

They both have Deleted Items, Drafts, Inbox, Junk E-mail, Outbox, Sent Items
and Search Folders in.

One of them has an icon of a piece of paper with a clock to the top left and
a house to the top right.

The other one has an icon like a stack of files (like from a filing cabinet)

They are clearly referencing the same thing, as the Deleted Items both have
all the same items listed in

If I click on the Folders icon at the bottom of the Folder list pane, both
copies of Personal Folders have Calendar, Contacts, Journal, Notes and Tasks
added, and again they are duplicates

How can I get rid of one of these to leave me with just the one, which is
all I need. All attempts so far have failed miserably.....

Thanks in advance

- Brian Long

0
brian_long (12)

Just create a new profile and configure it to use this PST file as its
default.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Brian Long" <brian_long@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have a problem with Outlook 2003 and I hope someone can help me resolve
it

> I imported a PST file from Outlook XP that was on a different machine, and
> now I have two versions of Personal Folders in my All Mail Folders list.
>
> They both have Deleted Items, Drafts, Inbox, Junk E-mail, Outbox, Sent
Items
> and Search Folders in.
>
> One of them has an icon of a piece of paper with a clock to the top left
and
> a house to the top right.
>
> The other one has an icon like a stack of files (like from a filing
cabinet)

> They are clearly referencing the same thing, as the Deleted Items both
have
> all the same items listed in
>
> If I click on the Folders icon at the bottom of the Folder list pane, both
> copies of Personal Folders have Calendar, Contacts, Journal, Notes and
Tasks
> added, and again they are duplicates
>
> How can I get rid of one of these to leave me with just the one, which is
> all I need. All attempts so far have failed miserably.....
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> - Brian Long

0
russval (3097)
> Just create a new profile and configure it to use this PST file as its
> default.

Thanks for the prompt response. I had a quick look at the profiles in the
Mail Control Panel applet, and found there was already a profile called
Outlook. Checking the Properties, Data Files option shows it is using just
one data file: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

Are you suggesting importing from it was a bad thing, and I should just copy
the file from the other machine and point the Outlook profile at the old
file? Is there no way of importing old settings into Outlook 2K3 and not
have 2 identical Personal Folders?

Thanks

- Brian Long

0
brian_long (12)
> Just create a new profile and configure it to use this PST file as its
> default.

I tried directly using the file from Office XP and I _still_ have 2 sets of
Personal Folders

Where does it get the folder names from? How can I get rid of one of these?!

- Brian Long

0
brian_long (12)
5/19/2004 2:52:01 PM
Copying a PST and overwriting an existing one would be even a worse idea.
Importing a PST is never necessary and often causes problems like this. Your
profile is corrupt. You can repair it by editing the registry, but just
creating a new one is far easier (and safer).

When you need to use a previous PST file in a new installation, it is best
simply to configure the new installation to use the old PST as its default.
--
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Just create a new profile and configure it to use this PST file as its
> > default.
>
> Thanks for the prompt response. I had a quick look at the profiles in the
> Mail Control Panel applet, and found there was already a profile called
> Outlook. Checking the Properties, Data Files option shows it is using just
> one data file: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst
>
> Are you suggesting importing from it was a bad thing, and I should just
copy
> the file from the other machine and point the Outlook profile at the old
> file? Is there no way of importing old settings into Outlook 2K3 and not
> have 2 identical Personal Folders?
>
> Thanks
>
> - Brian Long

0
russval (3097)
5/19/2004 2:54:08 PM
Bring up the list with both pst files, the one with
outlook today is the current one.  Right click on the
other and select close personal folder.

0
anonymous (74722)
5/19/2004 3:18:56 PM
Thank you. Problem fixed

> Copying a PST and overwriting an existing one would be even a worse idea.
> Importing a PST is never necessary and often causes problems like this.
Your
> profile is corrupt. You can repair it by editing the registry, but just
> creating a new one is far easier (and safer).
>
> When you need to use a previous PST file in a new installation, it is best
> simply to configure the new installation to use the old PST as its
default.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Brian Long" <brian_long@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Just create a new profile and configure it to use this PST file as its
> > > default.
> >
> > Thanks for the prompt response. I had a quick look at the profiles in
the
> > Mail Control Panel applet, and found there was already a profile called
> > Outlook. Checking the Properties, Data Files option shows it is using
just
> > one data file: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application
> > Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst
> >
> > Are you suggesting importing from it was a bad thing, and I should just
> copy
> > the file from the other machine and point the Outlook profile at the old
> > file? Is there no way of importing old settings into Outlook 2K3 and not
> > have 2 identical Personal Folders?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > - Brian Long

0
brian_long (12)
5/19/2004 3:19:42 PM
Brian Long <brian_long@newsgroups.nospam> wrote:

> Are you suggesting importing from it was a bad thing, and I should
> just copy the file from the other machine and point the Outlook
> profile at the old file? Is there no way of importing old settings
> into Outlook 2K3 and not have 2 identical Personal Folders?

Importing does not cause two folders to appear.  It adds the contents of a
PST to the current default delivery location, be that an Exchange server or
a PST.  The PST with the little house next to it is your delivery location,
usually called "Outlook Today".

The best way to incorporate data from a second PST into your primary PST is
to open the second PST with File>Open>Outlook Data File.  This will add
another "Personal Folders" label in your Folder View.  (It could be called
something else, too, because  the display name is embedded in the file.)
You then drag items from the second PST's folders to your main PST's
folders.  When done, you right-click on the second PST root and choose
"Close".  This preserves more original data than importing does, like the
dates of the messages.
--
Brian Tillman

0
Tillmabg (988)
5/19/2004 3:52:38 PM
Thanks for the information (also to andy). Dunno why I didn't spot the Close
option. I was looking for Delete I guess

- Brian

"Brian Tillman" <tillmabg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Brian Long <brian_long@newsgroups.nospam> wrote:
>
> > Are you suggesting importing from it was a bad thing, and I should
> > just copy the file from the other machine and point the Outlook
> > profile at the old file? Is there no way of importing old settings
> > into Outlook 2K3 and not have 2 identical Personal Folders?
>
> Importing does not cause two folders to appear.  It adds the contents of a
> PST to the current default delivery location, be that an Exchange server
or
> a PST.  The PST with the little house next to it is your delivery
location,
> usually called "Outlook Today".
>
> The best way to incorporate data from a second PST into your primary PST
is
> to open the second PST with File>Open>Outlook Data File.  This will add
> another "Personal Folders" label in your Folder View.  (It could be called
> something else, too, because  the display name is embedded in the file.)
> You then drag items from the second PST's folders to your main PST's
> folders.  When done, you right-click on the second PST root and choose
> "Close".  This preserves more original data than importing does, like the
> dates of the messages.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
brian_long (12)
5/20/2004 2:52:10 PM
You should be able to right click on one of the "Personal Folders" (or
whatever) and close it.  If the close option is greyed out then that is
because it is your default delivery location.

In my Outlook 2003, "File", "Data file management" allowed me to rename
mine from "Personal Folders" to "Steve's Stuff", so I can distinguish
between what is mine and other PST's I may open.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.ringers.org.uk       (Personal Webpage)

0
Swifty (59)

excel viewer problem
I was emailed a very important xls file which I realy need to access. I downloaded the excel 2003 viewer but when trying to install I'm told that I neen a newer version of Windows. I still run Windows 98 and have no plans to go to XP yet. Can anyone suggest how I can possibly open this file? It's really urgent. Thanks in advance, Chris. thelottery(removethis)@iol.ie I have an old Excel 97 Viewer that I'll email you if you like. It is about 4 megabytes. I don't know whether it will install under Windows 98 but I'd guess that it would. -- Jim "cmac50" <...

duplicate emails
Email Client: pop I receive and send duplicates of every email and I want to change this. In 'tools' and then 'send and receive' I notice it has two email addresses listed, <br> mjbats@iprimus.com.au (POP) and iprimus.com.au(POP), so I suspect that is why everything is duplicated. How do I delete one of the email addresses? ...

Problems with Address Book- Contacts list in Outlook 2003
I upgraded my Office 2000 to Office 2003 and am having problems getting my previous E-mail list to work in Outlook 20003. Previously I used Address Book but this time going on the advice in Office I thought that the contacts would be a better choice but the Address book does not sort by family name need to change each one individually and when I try to use Contacts it does not come up when I try the "To" option. Neither the Address Book nor the contacts tab has any names although the contacts folder does have the full list of names. TIA Peter S. LPS-AU <lps_softw@westne...

2007 duplicate email messages
Erratically I see duplicate email messages. Why and what can i do to avoid it? iuse Outlook Office 2007. Thanks!! Typically remove the e-mail scanning add-in of the Anti-virus software you are using. It doesn't provide any additional benefits. VP wrote: > Erratically I see duplicate email messages. Why and what can i do to avoid > it? iuse Outlook Office 2007. Thanks!! "VP" <VP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:155FBFD6-5E89-4DA9-8DDC-FE08C4CF5A28@microsoft.com... > Erratically I see duplicate email messages. Why and what ...

Problem with attachments #3
I have an intermittent problem with emails coming from one sender if there are attachments: instead of receiving one email containing the attachments, I get an email that contains a second email message (originalmail.eml). But no attachment at all. If I look at the message on the server, the inner email message contains an attachment, always called winmail.dat. As far as I can see, the problem is at the sender's end; but what's going wrong? Have the sender use Plain Text or HTML. Winmail.dat is caused by using Outlook Rich Text Format that only Outlook and Eudora understand. --...

Outlook '03 Link Problem
When I copy & paste a link into an Outlook 2003 e-mail, it doesn't appear as a link (highlighted blue and underlined.) On the other hand, if I manually type an e-mail address or link into a e-mail, it appears as a link (highlighted blue and underlined.) Can someone give me some direction on how to correct this problem? Perplexed.....Keith I'd try making sure you're not highlighting/copying anything more than just the link. No extra spaces or hard returns at the end. I'd also suggest that you check out the behavior using different email editors. In other words...

Problems entering transactions
Every time I try to enter a transaction I get the response: "This transaction cannot be entered". What gives? In microsoft.public.money, Seth wrote: >Every time I try to enter a transaction I get the response: "This transaction >cannot be entered". What gives? If this is new, consider restoring yesterday's backup. Otherwise repair your file. First try Quick, and if the problem continues use Standard level 2. ...

Layaway problem in RMS
I have just upgraded QS2000 to RMS. I am able to bring up the list of layaways in progress and see payments, balance due etc. but when I go to apply a payment on an 'old layaway' that was created in QS2000, it will only allow me to make a payment on a single item in a layaway of multiple items. For example, I choose the customer acct, then recall a layaway. This brings a list of multiple items in a single layaway, each with its own line and layaway number. I am unable to select multiple lines to process payment as a single layaway. Any thoughts on how to fix this? This is th...

Problem With I.E 7
Hi I have a problem with I.E 7 in my web application. When I browse my application in I.E 7 it does not show a particular section data. But If I add that website to trusted sites list it works fine, or If I browse that application with I.E 6 first and then with I.E 7 , it also works fine .. Data in in that section is populated dynamically inside a div by generating html through some java script. Could any one help me out what could be the reason for this behaviour ?? Hi, How can we help if you don't provide a link to your site? Use View>Source to inspect the injected...

Problem with clicking on cells
I have a problem with Excel. When I single-click on a cell, it won't release it, and if I move my mouse the other cells get underlined, and I have to close Excel and reopen it. That's always happening. What can I do? -- Gabriel B ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Gabriel B's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7540 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500433 Next time that happens hit the F8 key and see what happens! HTH JG -- pinmaster ------------------------------...

$50 to answer this MFC problem
Ok, here is the deal. The best solution to this problem in the next week gets $50 either via PayPal or a personal check, which ever is preferred. If the solution is the same from several posters, the first one to post will get the money. Here is the problem. I have a SDI MFC application that uses CWinApp::OnFileOpen for the application's file open and uses a CFileDialog to open a different type of file. When NT went from 4.0 to 2000, the common dialog box for file open "remembers" the directory it was last used. The application using the common dialog box open is typica...

Problem with Page Breaks
Hello Forum, I'm running excel 2003, in XP. In the page break preview screen, I can no longer drag the "blue" page break lines around the worksheet like I used to be able to. For some reason, when I move my cursor over the blue page break lines, the cursor no longer turns into the shape of two-arrows like I think it used to, therefore I cannot "grab" the blue page break lines and drag them around to change the page sizing.............I have been able to do this since excel was invented, but some some reason now I can't. Maybe I need to make some minor adju...

help
I'm using Excel 2003. I've got two worksheets of data in my workbook, one copied from a text file, the other downloaded from the Bureau of the Census, originally in .csv format and saved as an .xls file. I'm using vlookup to use the state name in one sheet to lookup the data value I want from the other worksheet. Vlookup returns the value of the last cell in the table rather than the value that should be returned. I've done some simple testing on the lookup value relative to that in the table array. Both entries are the same length. Both are text (istext). Mat...

Problem with creating Data Analysis View
Hello, We are using Project Server 2007 with SQL Server 2008 on Win XP. I'm having a problem with creating Data Analysis View. Fields: "Analysis Services Database to be created" and "Cube:" are empty and beneath is seen: "You must have the valid Analysis Services database name and cube name". I have done steps from other posts: * Add the Project Web Access site as a trusted site. * Clear the option to Block Pop Ups. * Enable Access data source across domains. * Have following components installed on client machine: OLEDB9.0, SQL Native Client, ...

Public Folder Migration #7
Hi All, I am merging the email accounts for two companies. I have used the exmerge utility to migrate all client emails to the destination MS exchange 2003 server. Is there any other tool I can use to migrate the public folders from the old companies exch. server to the new one? I want to be able to copy it now and update it on the day of cutover. Any ideas? Thanks The easiest way to do this is to replicate content using the Interorg tool. You won't be able to do it the way you're asking; it'll take some time for this tool to replicate the content unless your public folder con...

Problems Sending Email
Whenever I try to send an email message, I get this error message. Server Response: '550 relaying mail to hotmail.com is not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79 It's just on one of my computers though. On another computer using the same email account, I'm able to send mail without errors. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Jon You probably need to authenticate to your outgoing server. You can do so on the "Outgoing Server" tab for your account. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided ...

... has encountered a problem and needs to close...
Whenever I try to close Outlook I get the message 'Microsoft Outlook has encontered a problem and needs to close'. I use Outlook 2002 - AppVer: 10.0.6626.0 What is logged to the Event Viewer regarding this crash? -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:d06201c4399c$4329f0c0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Whenever I try to close Outlook I get the > message 'Microsoft Outlook has encontered a problem an...

Creating entity problem
Hello, something strange happens, When we try to create a new entity as a crm administrator, the system responds that "An error has occured, contact your system administrator" in a web dialog box. I'm able to create, modify and delete attributes in existing entitites. This problem occurs in 2 different environments: we have installed the Microsoft Technology Demonstration Toolkit CRM 3.0, whe we create a new entity, the error pops up and we have a CRM 3.0 deployed at a production environment and the same error pops up. The MS Tech demo toolkit is english and the producti...

journal stopped working after personal folders reload
We had to reimport someone's personal folders after an upgrade process. Now, her journal will no longer record anything. All the settings are correct, the journal still opens. But after the date of the upgrade, it does not record any data. Any reason? NEVER import a .pst file - use File->Open to maintain the integrity of the files in the .pst - importing will lose received dates, custom forms, connections between the Journal and Contact, etc. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to m...

Problem with report
O.K. I have completed my purchase order form. As I input my data into my Purchase Order main form and my purchase order subform all info inputs fine. I go check all my tables and everything is working great. I now created a report to print out with all my PO Info on it. So far so good. I am using the example in the 2003 Inventory Management template. On my report, I have a text box that autopopulates from the PO Form that identifes the supplier in which I made the purchase. However when it autopopulates the address, city, state, zip and phone number of the supplier, the report p...

running total problem
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I created a checking worksheet much the same as is given in excel as a ledger sheet. I did this because I want to create other worksheets to track the budget as well. But anyways, when I create a running total in the far right column by just copy and pasting it, the total created by the most current transaction entry, enters down the entire &quot;total&quot; column. Is there some way to have the cells in this column blank until a transaction is entered in their respective row? (the ledger template gi...

Can't open pst file, It said this is not personal folder.
I have several pst files which are over 2G, some even 3G, which can not open now. Story: I was using outlook 2003 before and they were ok even over 2G or 3G. one day I broke my disk so I sent the disk outside to rescue all data back. when I open pst less than 2G, they are fine. But the pst files over 2G I can not open now. Even I want to open and repair it but it said it is not pst file. what can I do now ? ...

"is it the one-time scheduled payment?" problem
Hello! I'm using Microsoft Money 2006 Deluxe and i've the following problem: When i'm trying to enter new transaction to a account than MM6 constantly ask about "is it the one-time scheduled payment?"... As I understand MM6 match scheduled transactions with entered, but it always give me this dialog (independ from manually entered amount). How can I disable this matching so that MM6 do not popup this dialog? My other "favorite", that I don't think you can disable, either, is the one about updating the scheduled item when you enter one with changes. Seems ...

Problem Money 2000
Hi, i've problem to connect to server. The internet name server is changed. Where can i modify address site? Can you provide more information? Which server? What are you trying to do in Money when you get the error? "Raffaele" <Raffaele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69B4EE14-4EB6-43E3-A441-65074188B5CE@microsoft.com... > Hi, > i've problem to connect to server. > The internet name server is changed. > Where can i modify address site? > > ...

Norton Personal Firewall 2004
I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2004, and now I can't connect to the Internet in Outlook 2002 unless I disable the Firewall. Is there a fix or patch for this? Thanks, Jane Check with Norton. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Jane asked: | I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2004, and now I | can't connect to the Internet in Ou...