Downloading only new emails from POP3 Server

Hi,

I have the problem that I have access to a POP3 server on which I have
stored about 10000 e-mails. Now I do not want a new installation of
Outlook to download all of them, but only, say, the last 100 messages
or the messages of the last week. It is still supposed to leave a copy
of the messages on the server. How does Outlook (2003) determine which
messages to get? And how can I change that?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Felix Arends

Outlook will either download all or none.  It is not configurable.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, felix.arends@gmx.de asked:

| Hi,
|
| I have the problem that I have access to a POP3 server on which I have
| stored about 10000 e-mails. Now I do not want a new installation of
| Outlook to download all of them, but only, say, the last 100 messages
| or the messages of the last week. It is still supposed to leave a copy
| of the messages on the server. How does Outlook (2003) determine which
| messages to get? And how can I change that?
|
| Thanks in advance and best regards
|
| Felix Arends

0
MillyS (3228)
10/9/2005 5:43:13 AM
<felix.arends@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have the problem that I have access to a POP3 server on which I have
> stored about 10000 e-mails. Now I do not want a new installation of
> Outlook to download all of them, but only, say, the last 100 messages
> or the messages of the last week. It is still supposed to leave a copy
> of the messages on the server. How does Outlook (2003) determine which
> messages to get? And how can I change that?

It keeps track of the UID (unique identifier), a number that is unique to
each message sent to that account for the lifetime of the account.  Outlook
will ask the mail server for a list of new mails and in the response are the
UIDs for them.  Once you download them, Outlook knows the UID and won't
request that message again.  If you then wander over to another host and use
a *different* instance of Outlook, it won't have that UID so it will again
download the same message (that you left on the mail server).  Since you did
a new install of Outlook, every message is new.

Stop using the Inbox as a message store.  It is a very poor choice.  Create
a folder and move your old mails there.  The Inbox is for *new* mails, but
when they are old then move them somewhere else.  If you don't want the new
instance of Outlook to download everything that you piled into your Inbox
then move them out of the Inbox.  Use the webmail interface to your account,
create a holding folder, and move what you don't want downloaded into the
holding folder, and then poll using Outlook to yank those that you left in
the Inbox.

> It keeps track of the UID (unique identifier), a number that is unique to
> each message sent to that account for the lifetime of the account.
> Outlook will ask the mail server for a list of new mails and in the
> response are the UIDs for them.  Once you download them, Outlook knows the
> UID and won't request that message again.  If you then wander over to
> another host and use a *different* instance of Outlook, it won't have that
> UID so it will again download the same message (that you left on the mail
> server).  Since you did a new install of Outlook, every message is new.

Where is that UID stored and how can I change it? That would be a
possibility, I assume?

> Stop using the Inbox as a message store.  It is a very poor choice.
> Create a folder and move your old mails there.  The Inbox is for *new*
> mails, but when they are old then move them somewhere else.  If you don't
> want the new instance of Outlook to download everything that you piled
> into your Inbox then move them out of the Inbox.  Use the webmail
> interface to your account, create a holding folder, and move what you
> don't want downloaded into the holding folder, and then poll using Outlook
> to yank those that you left in the Inbox.

Moving all the emails isn't that simple with the web interface I got :)

Thanks,

Felix

It's a hidden message in the pst. Changing it would be impossible, or at
least very time consuming and require Outlook programming knowledge.

Can you use IMAP to access the inbox? If so, use it instead of pop on the
other machines or at least use it to move items to a new folder.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

>> It keeps track of the UID (unique identifier), a number that is unique to
>> each message sent to that account for the lifetime of the account.
>> Outlook will ask the mail server for a list of new mails and in the
>> response are the UIDs for them.  Once you download them, Outlook knows
>> the
>> UID and won't request that message again.  If you then wander over to
>> another host and use a *different* instance of Outlook, it won't have
>> that
>> UID so it will again download the same message (that you left on the mail
>> server).  Since you did a new install of Outlook, every message is new.
>
> Where is that UID stored and how can I change it? That would be a
> possibility, I assume?
>
>> Stop using the Inbox as a message store.  It is a very poor choice.
>> Create a folder and move your old mails there.  The Inbox is for *new*
>> mails, but when they are old then move them somewhere else.  If you don't
>> want the new instance of Outlook to download everything that you piled
>> into your Inbox then move them out of the Inbox.  Use the webmail
>> interface to your account, create a holding folder, and move what you
>> don't want downloaded into the holding folder, and then poll using
>> Outlook
>> to yank those that you left in the Inbox.
>

> Moving all the emails isn't that simple with the web interface I got :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Felix

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/9/2005 2:16:14 PM
<felix.arends@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> It keeps track of the UID (unique identifier), a number that is unique to
>> each message sent to that account for the lifetime of the account.
>> Outlook will ask the mail server for a list of new mails and in the
>> response are the UIDs for them.  Once you download them, Outlook knows
>> the
>> UID and won't request that message again.  If you then wander over to
>> another host and use a *different* instance of Outlook, it won't have
>> that
>> UID so it will again download the same message (that you left on the mail
>> server).  Since you did a new install of Outlook, every message is new.
>
> Where is that UID stored and how can I change it? That would be a
> possibility, I assume?

Nope, that is an internal list.  You don't get to touch it.

>> Stop using the Inbox as a message store.  It is a very poor choice.
>> Create a folder and move your old mails there.  The Inbox is for *new*
>> mails, but when they are old then move them somewhere else.  If you don't
>> want the new instance of Outlook to download everything that you piled
>> into your Inbox then move them out of the Inbox.  Use the webmail
>> interface to your account, create a holding folder, and move what you
>> don't want downloaded into the holding folder, and then poll using
>> Outlook
>> to yank those that you left in the Inbox.
>

> Moving all the emails isn't that simple with the web interface I got :)

Since you don't identify your e-mail provider, no one knows what webmail
interface you got stuck with.  It doesn't let you check all items (so you
could then simply uncheck the few that you want yanked to Outlook) and then
select to Move the checked ones to a user-created folder?  Well, that really
is a sucky webmail service.  If Cambridge U (your Internet provider when you
posted) is also your e-mail provider, sounds like they really don't want to
provide a webmail interface to your account and expect you to yank all mails
in your account when polled.

You could configure Outlook to only download headers and then check off
which ones you want to download and perform the download of just those.  For
Outlook 2002 (the menu navigation is slightly different for OL2003), go to
Tools -> Send/Receive Settings -> Define Send/Receive Groups, select the
group, and edit the properties for each account to download headers only
(i.e., "download item description only").  That means you will get stuck
having to download only the headers, mark which ones you want to download,
and then download them (Tools -> Send/Receive -> Work with Headers).

> It's a hidden message in the pst. Changing it would be impossible, or at
> least very time consuming and require Outlook programming knowledge.

I see, well, I wouldn't mind some simple hex-editing for this purpose,
but I guess, I'll just see what I can do about moving them to another
folder with the web-interface.

The strange thing about this is that I actually imported the pst file
from my old computer (so if it was a message inside the .pst file, it
should still be there, right?).

> Can you use IMAP to access the inbox? If so, use it instead of pop on the
> other machines or at least use it to move items to a new folder.

Unfortunately, I can't.

Thanks for your help!

Felix

> Nope, that is an internal list.  You don't get to touch it.

Too bad.

> Since you don't identify your e-mail provider, no one knows what webmail
> interface you got stuck with. [...]

Well, I guess I can select 100 messages at a time, but that's a lot of
work then.
I think I'll somehow solve it, I was just wondering whether I was
missing some option using Outlook.

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Felix

> The strange thing about this is that I actually imported the pst file
> from my old computer (so if it was a message inside the .pst file, it
> should still be there, right?).

No. It's not imported. If you moved the pst, it would be present, but
outlook uses the account name and other information in the hidden file, so
it doesn't work on other computers.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/9/2005 3:06:41 PM
Vanguard wrote:

> Stop using the Inbox as a message store.  It is a very poor choice.

Why? it's just part of the pst file.

0
gordon7598 (483)
10/9/2005 3:17:46 PM
He means the server's inbox.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Vanguard wrote:
>>
>> Stop using the Inbox as a message store.  It is a very poor choice.
>
> Why? it's just part of the pst file.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/9/2005 3:24:46 PM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
> He means the server's inbox.
>

> "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>> Vanguard wrote:
>>>
>>> Stop using the Inbox as a message store.  It is a very poor choice.
>>
>> Why? it's just part of the pst file.

I should have thought the /server's/ inbox was even better - at least it
gets backed up every day!

0
gordon7598 (483)
10/10/2005 6:48:56 AM
Many ISPs do not back up subscribers inboxes. They prefer the user to remove
them from the POP3 server and not use their allotted 10 or 20 MG for online
storage. They count on most users not using it - otherwise they need bigger
disks to handle fewer subscribers.

--

> Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
>> He means the server's inbox.
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Why? it's just part of the pst file.
>
> I should have thought the /server's/ inbox was even better - at least it
> gets backed up every day!

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Migration options from E2k server to another E2k3 server
Hello, I have a doubt in which way is best suited to migrate data from a E2k server to another E2k3 server in the same domain. For more information, both are domain controllers, the E2k server is running under Windows 2k Server and the E2k3 is running under Windows 2k3 server enterprise edition. The last will replace th older E2k server. Thank you in advance, On Feb 12, 10:13 am, winpor <win...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, I have a doubt in which way is best suited to migrate data from a E2k > server to another E2k3 server in the same domain. > For more inform...

Server error in '/' Application 08-16-03
When I want to save some information (web based) like a quick Contact, I receive the following error: Server Error in '/' application. A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client ............ anyone an idea ? Thx Hi Everyone, I was having the same error when trying to edit my Business Unit(New Install). I tried your suggested fix but now I cannot open the CRM app from the browser (server nor client) It opens up the IIS default page. How can I correct this? Help!!! Thanks, Jaime >-----Original Message----- >You need to uninstall the 1.1 .N...

HELP!! Viewing email images

links in emails
When I try to open a link included in an email nothing happens? Hi, This problem can be caused by several different things. Do you receive an error message when you click on a hyperlink, or does nothing happen at all? Can you use hyperlinks in other programs, such as Word? Please have a look at the following Knowledge Base articles to see if these resolve your problem. 177054.KB.EN-US OLEXP: Internet Shortcuts in Outlook Express Do Not Start Web Browser You can access this article by clicking on the link below. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;177054 257464.K...

slow emails
We are using exchange 2000 sever. and we have one user on one machine that her emails take awhile to process, up to 3hrs possibly. She is running outlook 2002, with all updates as of 10/9/03. I have figured in the past that it was just the other servers the mail was going through that was slowing it down. But when she uses, another persons acount on another machine it runs fine. Is this and outlook/machine problem, a server problem, or a problem that is out of my hands? Or is there a problem at all? >-----Original Message----- >We are using exchange 2000 sever. and we ha...

Amex download issue
1/23/2005 was the last date that my American Express credit card account downloaded into Money (2004). Prior to that it happened automatically daily. I went to the American Express website and downloaded an ofx file - named ofx.ofx - and upon clicking on it and making sure that the account matched, money reported that the info was imported correctly. But it wasn't. There are still no account register entrees past 1/23/2005 (and yes there was activity beyond that date). Any ideas would be appreciated. thx Just spoke to Amex - they are having tech issues and are aware of the...

email set up in publisher

Trouble sending emails #2

Just installed new hard drive
I just installed a new hard drive and used the drive's utility program to copy everything from my old drive to the new one. Now Outlook isn't going out to my ISP's server and getting my new messages, and when I send a message I get the "no transport provider available" error. (My connection's just fine.) I looked online for some help. One recommendation was to delete the Personal Folder and create a new one. I did that, but then all the messages I had disappeared and it freaked me out so I didn't want to mess with anything else. How can I make it work ...

Multiple Account Download from One Financial Instituition
Hi, I have at one brokerage mutliple accounts (individual, joint, 401K, roll-over etc). In Money they are all separate accounts. When I connect with the brokerage I am only able to connect to one type of account (in this case retirement). How can I download multiple accounts from a brokerage (when not all have the same URL). Please email me your reply. Thanks Sandeep ...

multiple revieve of emails
I recieve multiple copys of emails in outlook. In some cases I get 100 copys of the exact same message, in other cases it is ok, then others many times Only one message on server Jim <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I recieve multiple copys of emails in outlook. In some > cases I get 100 copys of the exact same message, in other > cases it is ok, then others many times Only one message on > server Usually caused by 1) Send/receive interval too small or 2) server timeout value too small or 3) rules that don't contain the "stop processing more rules...

Delay receiving email
Hi, We use Exchange 2000 and Windows 2000. I have recently been expeirencing intermitent delays in receiving email from two seperate domains.The delays are usually 3 hours but sometimes even longer. In the header info the delay happens at the last hop before reaching our domain. I have checked the exchange logs as well as the logs on our gateway but they do not indicate any delay once we receive the email. I am not sure what else I should do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bryan ...

Project Server
I work with one resource pool for all my projects. I am feeling that my computer is becoming "heavy" to work with. Project Server would help to make faster? Is there any advantage if I work with Project Server only on my computer, specially if I need to make all kinds of reports? Txs, Silene Hi, IMHO, in short: No on all counts. -- Jan De Messemaeker Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional +32 495 300 620 For availability check: http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf "Silene" <sileneev@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:D425...

mail server
Is Exchange an absolute must? Can I do without it? Can any other mail server do? Thank you. Hi Bill, Exchange is not required. There are 3 scenario's: 1) Exchange -> email can be sent and received in CRM 2) SMTP -> email can be sent from CRM but not received 3) Nothing -> email cannot be used from CRM. For more info http://blogs.msdn.com/midatlanticcrm/archive/2006/01/05/Running_Microsoft_CRM_without_Exchange_Server.aspx Hope this helps, -- Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/ "bill tie" wrote: > > Is Exchange an abso...

O.T. FYI BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Free for SBS2008
BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Free http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/business/server/express/ Connect two people via BlackBerry� Smartphone's and ideas get bigger. Progress happens faster. Answers get smarter. So imagine what happens when you give a business the freedom to connect all its employees. BlackBerry� Enterprise Server Express enables businesses of any size to quickly and easily get started with the BlackBerry solution. It provides advanced BlackBerry Smartphone features with no additional software or user license fees, and works with any Internet-...

cant send emails 02-14-10
I have tried everything you guys have suggested in the other posts, including uninstalling and reinstalling the mail software. I have two email accounts & neither will send. It had been working since Nov 09 and just suddenly stopped. I have windows 7 & windows live mail. Here is the error I keep getting: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. This is the local server I use. Subject 'Fw: Fwd: xoxo' Server: 'smtp.acsalaska.net' Window...

Exchange 2K: Controlling incoming email formats....
Question... AFAIK (and correct me if I am wrong), Exchange natively only lets you control message formats for messages that are downloaded to POP\IMAP clients. For security reasons, I would like Exchange to convert all incoming\outgoing email from\to external domains, as well as INTRA-domain email , to plain text format. In other words, I do not want to see anymore html email on my server going in and out, just plain text. Is there a setting for this for Exchange to handle this natively? If not, what (if any) 3rd party solutions are out there for this? Thanks, George Here's the Re...

Download Free ScreenSavers and Wallpapers! -
Download Free ScreenSavers and Wallpapers! - http://offr.biz/HLSCR308312GNAMAYB ...

Not recieving emails...
I have established an email account with Windows email and linked my yahoo email account. I can send messages yet I do not recieve the test messages to my Windows Mail account they do go to my Yahoo account but not to my Windows Mail inbox. I do not know what to do. Looked for answers on Windows website but did not find what I was looking for can someone please help me. Also when I click on the Send/Recieve tab it has me log in to my email account and then does not take login. Yet the account works. I do not understand. Thanks Jim It is a Yahoo Plus account - right? You must...