Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

I'm an Outlook Express user who wants to switch to Outlook.  I received a
notice from Microsoft that includes the following: "... as of June 30, 2008,
Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to
access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express."

Please tell me if this action by Microsoft will affect Outlook in the same
manner, or am I free to make the switch.

0
BudV

"BudV" <BudVitoff@(NO)att.(SPAM)net> wrote in message
> I'm an Outlook Express user who wants to switch to Outlook.  I received a
> notice from Microsoft that includes the following: "... as of June 30,
> 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be
> able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express."
>
> Please tell me if this action by Microsoft will affect Outlook in the same
> manner, or am I free to make the switch.

No you can make the switch, BUT - you have to a) convert your Hotmail
account to a Live Hotmail account (still free) and b) download and install
the Outlook Connector.
You can get that here:
http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7aad7e6a-931e-438a-950c-5e9ea66322d4&displaylang=en

0
gbplinux (1141)
6/16/2008 7:47:21 PM
"BudV" wrote in <news:#0XUDi#zIHA.2384@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>:

> I'm an Outlook Express user who wants to switch to Outlook.  I received a
> notice from Microsoft that includes the following: "... as of June 30, 2008,
> Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to
> access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express."
>
> Please tell me if this action by Microsoft will affect Outlook in the same
> manner, or am I free to make the switch.

Outlook and Outlook Express support DAV (the scripting language
understood by Microsoft's HTTP mail hosts).  So, to answer your question
in your Subject header (but which conflicts with the question in the
body of your post), yes, they support DAV.

Microsoft warned that they are disabling the WebDAV interface to their
HTTP mail service (Hotmail).  They may have postponed the change but it
will happen.  Deltasync, for reasons justified by Microsoft (but not
justified in its claims for its need for many users that don't consume
gigabytes of disk quota), will replace DAV.

Neither Outlook or Outlook Express natively support DeltaSync.

Windows Live Mail, Outlook Express's replacement, does support
Deltasync.

Outlook Express will receive no further updates to make it support
Deltasync.

An add-on can be installed into Outlook to provide Deltasync support.
You must:
- Convert an MSN Hotmail account to a Windows Live Mail account (there
should be an option to do so if your account has not already been
converted).  It doesn't matter if you use the classic or full UI but you
must now have a Windows Live Hotmail account.
- Download and install the Outlook Connector add-on from Microsoft's
download site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads).
- Create an HTTP account for your Windows Live Hotmail account under the
control of this add-on.

The above is only required if you are using a free Hotmail account.
From what I've read in an MS rep blog, Microsoft returned POP3/SMTP mail
host access to *paid* accounts but only for Windows Live Hotmail PLUS
accounts (not for MSN Hotmail Premium accounts).  So you don't need to
bother with Deltasync, possibly having to install an add-on, and can
instead use any POP3/SMTP compliant e-mail client to access a paid
Windows Live Hotmail Plus account.  There was a promise the a November
2007 blog that POP3/SMTP will be turned back on for freebie accounts in
about a year, so it might return sometime around November of this year
.... maybe but don't hold your breath or expect to wait out Microsoft to
make a decision.  Some users like POP3 methods of managing their
e-mails.  Some like IMAP of which DAV and Deltasync emulate in behavior
but not in implementation.  Because some users want an IMAP-like
interface to their mailbox, there has been some discussion of adding
IMAP access but that's been an iffy proposal.

You never mentioned what type of Hotmail account you have (MSN or
Windows Live) and if it is a free or paid account.
0
V4521 (722)
6/16/2008 9:12:24 PM
Wow! Talk about a comprehensive answer!  And I understood most of it.  Thank
you!  I'm glad I retired when I did.  55 years of mainframe business
applications programming didn't really prepare me for the complexities of
the PC world. :-)

> You never mentioned what type of Hotmail account you have (MSN or
> Windows Live) and if it is a free or paid account.

Let me answer this way:  My email address is  ...@msn.com.  When I access my
mail from a computer other than mine, I sign in at msn.com, then click on
"Hotmail" to get to my mail.  This all came about when I left ATT to take
advantage of a Quest bundling offer, in which I pay for DSL, cell-phone,
local phone, and DirecTV.  So I guess the answer to your question is Hotmail
type = MSN, and it's a free account.

> Create an HTTP account for your Windows Live Hotmail account under the
> control of this add-on.

I assume this means changing my current mail account from a POP/SMTP to an
HTTP account.  I don't understand "under the control of this add-on".

Thanks again for the help.

Bud

> [...]
> bother with Deltasync, possibly having to install an add-on, and can
> instead use any POP3/SMTP compliant e-mail client to access a paid
> Windows Live Hotmail Plus account.  There was a promise the a November
> 2007 blog that POP3/SMTP will be turned back on for freebie accounts in
> about a year, so it might return sometime around November of this year
> ... maybe but don't hold your breath or expect to wait out Microsoft to
> make a decision.  Some users like POP3 methods of managing their
> e-mails.  Some like IMAP of which DAV and Deltasync emulate in behavior
> but not in implementation.  Because some users want an IMAP-like
> interface to their mailbox, there has been some discussion of adding
> IMAP access but that's been an iffy proposal.
>
> You never mentioned what type of Hotmail account you have (MSN or
> Windows Live) and if it is a free or paid account.

6/17/2008 7:48:28 PM
"BudV" wrote in <news:e0gzgML0IHA.4572@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>:

>> You never mentioned what type of Hotmail account you have (MSN or
>> Windows Live) and if it is a free or paid account.
>
> Let me answer this way:  My email address is  ...@msn.com.  When I access my
> mail from a computer other than mine, I sign in at msn.com, then click on
> "Hotmail" to get to my mail.  This all came about when I left ATT to take
> advantage of a Quest bundling offer, in which I pay for DSL, cell-phone,
> local phone, and DirecTV.  So I guess the answer to your question is Hotmail
> type = MSN, and it's a free account.

MSN used to have their own e-mail service but dropped it and switched to
the Hotmail resources.  It is possible that you have an MSN legacy
account.  I don't know if those legacy accounts let you switch to a
Windows Live Hotmail account, but the classic Hotmail accounts let you
switch.

If you have a classic Hotmail account, there should be an option to
switch it to a Windows Live Hotmail account.  I don't know if the legacy
MSN accounts let you switch (and still retain the old domain in your
e-mail address for a Live account).

>> Create an HTTP account for your Windows Live Hotmail account under the
>> control of this add-on.
>
> I assume this means changing my current mail account from a POP/SMTP to an
> HTTP account.  I don't understand "under the control of this add-on".

When you define the new HTTP account for Hotmail, you will do so within
the control of the add-on.  I don't remember the details other than
creating the new account had to be somehow within the scope of this
add-on.  My recollection, which is faint (because the add-on won't work
with OL2002 which is what I still use), is that you do NOT define a new
e-mail account using the "Tools -> Email Accounts" semi-wizard but
instead use a menu entry for the add-on under which you define the new
account (under its control).

The Outlook Connector is to only add Deltasync support so it has only
one purpose: to support Windows Live Hotmail accounts.  The Tools ->
Email Accounts wizard is used to define POP, IMAP, HTTP/DAV, and
Exchange accounts, not HTTP/Deltasync accounts.  Read Microsoft at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officelive/FX102473521033.aspx under
the "Use Microsoft Office Outlook to manage your e-mail" section.  That
dialog is NOT under the "Tools -> Email Accounts" wizard.  You use the
add-on to define the account, not the old wizard in Outlook.
0
V4521 (722)
6/18/2008 5:16:20 AM
if you have a pop/smtp acct with msn and start using the connector you *may*
lose pop/smtp access.  You can use pop3/smtp in outlook - webdav access
applies only to HTTP protocol.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **

> [...]
>> bother with Deltasync, possibly having to install an add-on, and can
>> instead use any POP3/SMTP compliant e-mail client to access a paid
>> Windows Live Hotmail Plus account.  There was a promise the a November
>> 2007 blog that POP3/SMTP will be turned back on for freebie accounts in
>> about a year, so it might return sometime around November of this year
>> ... maybe but don't hold your breath or expect to wait out Microsoft to
>> make a decision.  Some users like POP3 methods of managing their
>> e-mails.  Some like IMAP of which DAV and Deltasync emulate in behavior
>> but not in implementation.  Because some users want an IMAP-like
>> interface to their mailbox, there has been some discussion of adding
>> IMAP access but that's been an iffy proposal.
>>
>> You never mentioned what type of Hotmail account you have (MSN or
>> Windows Live) and if it is a free or paid account.

outlookmvp1 (464)
6/18/2008 1:31:34 PM
1. The connector is listed in tools, accounts - its under other accounts
(where fax etc are in older versions)

2. if the OP has POP/SMTP access, there is little need to switch to the
connector unless he wants to pull the calendar down. Outlook will work with
pop/smtp. In the past MSN pop accts that were switched to webdav access lost
pop access - I don't know if it still holds true but the OP should take the
possible loss into consideration before making any changes. As it stands, he
can use his msn acct in Outlook if he's using POP/SMTP.

--

> "BudV" wrote in <news:e0gzgML0IHA.4572@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>:
>
>>> You never mentioned what type of Hotmail account you have (MSN or
>>> Windows Live) and if it is a free or paid account.
>>
>> Let me answer this way:  My email address is  ...@msn.com.  When I access
>> my
>> mail from a computer other than mine, I sign in at msn.com, then click on
>> "Hotmail" to get to my mail.  This all came about when I left ATT to take
>> advantage of a Quest bundling offer, in which I pay for DSL, cell-phone,
>> local phone, and DirecTV.  So I guess the answer to your question is
>> Hotmail
>> type = MSN, and it's a free account.
>
> MSN used to have their own e-mail service but dropped it and switched to
> the Hotmail resources.  It is possible that you have an MSN legacy
> account.  I don't know if those legacy accounts let you switch to a
> Windows Live Hotmail account, but the classic Hotmail accounts let you
> switch.
>
> If you have a classic Hotmail account, there should be an option to
> switch it to a Windows Live Hotmail account.  I don't know if the legacy
> MSN accounts let you switch (and still retain the old domain in your
> e-mail address for a Live account).
>
>>> Create an HTTP account for your Windows Live Hotmail account under the
>>> control of this add-on.
>>
>> I assume this means changing my current mail account from a POP/SMTP to
>> an
>> HTTP account.  I don't understand "under the control of this add-on".
>
> When you define the new HTTP account for Hotmail, you will do so within
> the control of the add-on.  I don't remember the details other than
> creating the new account had to be somehow within the scope of this
> add-on.  My recollection, which is faint (because the add-on won't work
> with OL2002 which is what I still use), is that you do NOT define a new
> e-mail account using the "Tools -> Email Accounts" semi-wizard but
> instead use a menu entry for the add-on under which you define the new
> account (under its control).
>
> The Outlook Connector is to only add Deltasync support so it has only
> one purpose: to support Windows Live Hotmail accounts.  The Tools ->
> Email Accounts wizard is used to define POP, IMAP, HTTP/DAV, and
> Exchange accounts, not HTTP/Deltasync accounts.  Read Microsoft at
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officelive/FX102473521033.aspx under
> the "Use Microsoft Office Outlook to manage your e-mail" section.  That
> dialog is NOT under the "Tools -> Email Accounts" wizard.  You use the
> add-on to define the account, not the old wizard in Outlook.

0
outlookmvp1 (464)

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Using Relative path for XML data file?

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

outlook 2007 e-mail

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Outlook Recall Msg Process

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...