Distribution Lists in Outlook XP

In Outlook XP, you can create a distribution list and store it in your
Contacts folder.

When I try to forward the distribution list that I created as an attachment
in an email message to someone using Outlook 98, they do not see the
distribution list when they double click on the attachment.  In fact, the
attachment appears as if it is a message and the subject of the message is
the name of the distribution list.  The Outlook 98 user does not see the
members in the distribution list.

I suspect that this is a compatibility issue between the two different
versions of Outlook.  I'm wondering if there's a workaround for this.  I've
looked in the MS Knowledgebase and have not found anything.

Thank you.

0
Daitauha

The DL must be inserted as an Outlook Item in a message in RTF format.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Daitauha" <daitauha%takethisout%@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In Outlook XP, you can create a distribution list and store it in your
> Contacts folder.
>
> When I try to forward the distribution list that I created as an
attachment
> in an email message to someone using Outlook 98, they do not see the
> distribution list when they double click on the attachment.  In fact, the
> attachment appears as if it is a message and the subject of the message is
> the name of the distribution list.  The Outlook 98 user does not see the
> members in the distribution list.
>
> I suspect that this is a compatibility issue between the two different
> versions of Outlook.  I'm wondering if there's a workaround for this.
I've
> looked in the MS Knowledgebase and have not found anything.
>
> Thank you.

0
russval (3097)
11/5/2003 10:04:07 PM
Do you mean I should save the DL in RTF format and then insert the saved
file?

> The DL must be inserted as an Outlook Item in a message in RTF format.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Daitauha" <daitauha%takethisout%@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > In Outlook XP, you can create a distribution list and store it in your
> > Contacts folder.
> >
> > When I try to forward the distribution list that I created as an
> attachment
> > in an email message to someone using Outlook 98, they do not see the
> > distribution list when they double click on the attachment.  In fact,
the
> > attachment appears as if it is a message and the subject of the message
is
> > the name of the distribution list.  The Outlook 98 user does not see the
> > members in the distribution list.
> >
> > I suspect that this is a compatibility issue between the two different
> > versions of Outlook.  I'm wondering if there's a workaround for this.
> I've
> > looked in the MS Knowledgebase and have not found anything.
> >
> > Thank you.

0
Daitauha
11/5/2003 10:31:42 PM
No. I mean your message format must be RTF and you must insert the DL as an
Outlook Item into that message. That is how you send DL's to other Outlook
recipients. They can just open them and save them to put them into their
Contacts Folders.
--
> Do you mean I should save the DL in RTF format and then insert the saved
> file?
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > The DL must be inserted as an Outlook Item in a message in RTF format.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Daitauha" <daitauha%takethisout%@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > In Outlook XP, you can create a distribution list and store it in your
> > > Contacts folder.
> > >
> > > When I try to forward the distribution list that I created as an
> > attachment
> > > in an email message to someone using Outlook 98, they do not see the
> > > distribution list when they double click on the attachment.  In fact,
> the
> > > attachment appears as if it is a message and the subject of the
message
> is
> > > the name of the distribution list.  The Outlook 98 user does not see
the
> > > members in the distribution list.
> > >
> > > I suspect that this is a compatibility issue between the two different
> > > versions of Outlook.  I'm wondering if there's a workaround for this.
> > I've
> > > looked in the MS Knowledgebase and have not found anything.
> > >
> > > Thank you.

0
russval (3097)