Display Name that E-Mail Recipients See

re:  Outlook 2003

When I send e-mail to people, in the FROM FIELD, they only see my
complete e-mail address.  The e-mail address is NOT preceeded by a
"friendly" display name, as one might expect.

As per MS Office Online Assistance at

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011507601033.aspx

I have ensured that I have the friendly name I want showing in the YOUR
NAME field under USER INFORMATION under TOOLS|E-MAIL ACCOUNTS.  This
does not solve the problem.

I can temporarily solve it, per individual e-mail message, by selecting
HAVE REPLIES SENT TO under MESSAGE OPTIONS and then selecting my own
entry out of my CONTACTS list. But, I need a permanent solution.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!!

Mail account type? Recipient's email software?
I would never expect both the familiar name and the email address to appear
in the From field that the recipient sees. Outlook has never done that. Only
the familiar name should appear if you are using SMTP/POP.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
<Scott.A.Smith@rogers.com> wrote in message
> re:  Outlook 2003
>
> When I send e-mail to people, in the FROM FIELD, they only see my
> complete e-mail address.  The e-mail address is NOT preceeded by a
> "friendly" display name, as one might expect.
>
> As per MS Office Online Assistance at
>
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011507601033.aspx
>
> I have ensured that I have the friendly name I want showing in the YOUR
> NAME field under USER INFORMATION under TOOLS|E-MAIL ACCOUNTS.  This
> does not solve the problem.
>
> I can temporarily solve it, per individual e-mail message, by selecting
> HAVE REPLIES SENT TO under MESSAGE OPTIONS and then selecting my own
> entry out of my CONTACTS list. But, I need a permanent solution.
>
> Any suggestions?  Thanks!!

0
russval1 (2100)
5/13/2006 8:11:48 PM
My recipient is using OUTLOOK EXPRESS.  Outlook Express always shows
BOTH the e-mail address AND the familiar name in the <from> field that
the recipient sees.

When I go to another machine running OUTLOOK XP and send using the same
e-mail account setup, my OUTLOOK EXPRESS recipient sees BOTH the
familiar name AND the full e-mail address.

When I go back to the machine using OUTLOOK 2003 -- with e-mail
accounts setup exactly as on the OUTLOOK XP machine -- and send to the
same OUTLOOK EXPRESS recipient, he again sees only the e-mail address
in the <from> field, without the familiar, friendly name.

I have followed preceisely the instructions as at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011507601033.aspx to no
avail.

Thanks Russ for your input!  I hope my clarification helps pinpoint the
problem.

P.S.  I am using accounts which are SMTP/POP.

Too many variables to solve this equation, then. The settings you have
chosen will determine how the email header is populated by Outlook.
Recipients using Outlook will see only your familiar name when you follow
those instructions. OE may pull different information from the header to
construct the From field for its recipients.
--
> My recipient is using OUTLOOK EXPRESS.  Outlook Express always shows
> BOTH the e-mail address AND the familiar name in the <from> field that
> the recipient sees.
>
> When I go to another machine running OUTLOOK XP and send using the same
> e-mail account setup, my OUTLOOK EXPRESS recipient sees BOTH the
> familiar name AND the full e-mail address.
>
> When I go back to the machine using OUTLOOK 2003 -- with e-mail
> accounts setup exactly as on the OUTLOOK XP machine -- and send to the
> same OUTLOOK EXPRESS recipient, he again sees only the e-mail address
> in the <from> field, without the familiar, friendly name.
>
> I have followed preceisely the instructions as at
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011507601033.aspx to no
> avail.
>
> Thanks Russ for your input!  I hope my clarification helps pinpoint the
> problem.

0
russval1 (2100)
5/13/2006 9:06:11 PM
Problem solved!!!!

In the e-mail accounts set-up, I had labelled two e-mail accounts the
same in the "Your Name" field.  While every other detail was different,
the "friendly" name was entered the same in two of the accounts.

I guess OUTLOOK could not reconcile this and so showed nothing, <null>
if you will.  I have tested it and recipients using OUTLOOK XP, OUTLOOK
EXPRESS, and YAHOO! MAIL all see the familiar name and not just the
e-mail address.

Thanks for your help Russ!

E-mail Queue
Hello, I've followed TechKnowledge article 870063 and have e- mail queues working from external addresses. How do I get e-mail to flow to these queues from internal Exchange addresses? We would like to use CRM email exclusively for this account. Thanks for any help. Scott Internal email can't be routed to queues unfortunately. I am not aware of anyone finding a workaround for this issue either. Anyone heard of anything? Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Scott" wrote: > > Hello, > > I've followed TechKnowledge article 870063 and hav...

Office Default Mail Client
I removed the beta version of microsoft office and installed the MSDN version this weekend but I can not set the defalut mail client as Outlook. It will not let me edit it in outlook or through control panel. Does anyone know how I might repair this, I tried to fix the mail client in the registery by deleting it and running repair on on the outlook setup but this did not fix my problem. Mark wrote: >I removed the beta version of microsoft office and installed the MSDN version >this weekend but I can not set the defalut mail client as Outlook. It will >not let me ed...

External Account From The Same Domain Name.
Hi everybody, I have a problem and i hope somebody could help me. We have a customer with an Exchange 2003 in a Windows SBS 2003 environment. We have setup an SMTP connector to send mails to the ISP's SMTP Server since their ISP would not let them send email unless it went through their servers. Users of the organisation are receiving their mails through a POP3 Connector. The problem is that the company has another branch in another place and the users who work there are receiving their mails through the ISP directly. Because these users don't belong to the organisation, nobody insid...

how do you hide a name from the globel address book?
in exchange 2K. Thanks ADUC Properties of the user Exch Advanced Check the Hide from Address Lists box On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:34:05 -0400, "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote: >in exchange 2K. > >Thanks > Thanks. Sorry I missed it. "Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:aii4k014g54q5v7dic5a7r568lq31moanr@4ax.com... > ADUC > Properties of the user > Exch Advanced > Check the Hide from Address Lists box > > > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:34:05 -0400, "Dooma" &...

Same Email message to recipients
Hi I have to each month send out notification to my customers who use Euros about the exchange rate for the coming months (its about 10 people). I know its not much but what a pain it is to send individual emails. As its each month as well I haev to try and remember who the euro peeps are What also i dont want them to see is each others email addresses as they are competitors. SO my question is, how do I send out one eamil to a group of recipients without them seeing who else it has gone to? If it would be appropriate, keep all of them in "BCC". Otherwise you ...

Q: Referencing named cells in external worksheet ?
Using Excel 2002. I have a workbook with 12 worksheets (one for every month of the year), wherein a lot of the information is looked-up (using VLOOKUP) in simples arrays. I saw no point in implementing the arrays as a 13th worksheet, because I will have a yearly version of my monthly worksheets in one workbook (so one for 2003, 2004, etc). If I change the array(s), I want them to be reflected in all referencing cells. Problem: If my workbook containing my arrays (called "Global") is loaded, I have no problem and the references to it read as: (blabla) 'Global.xls'!Roster ...

An OL folder has changed from Mail to Calendar
I have a user (using Outlook XP on WinXP, Exchange 2000) who has a folder in their inbox that contains emails. Last week he received an email which went into that folder, and somehow converted it from Post to Appointment format, so he can no longer get to the emails that were previously in there. I've never seen or heard of this before, and I don't seem to be able to manually change it. Has anyone seen this before, and if so, what can I do to get access to the emails it originally contained? Cheers, Gavan Blunt. What happens if you use Advanced Find? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Ou...

Pivot tables, linking to a named range as a source to a pivot table
I have created a main worksheet within the same workbook of many pivot tables, and I want to use this same worksheet as the source of information to these different pivot table sheets off of which I create charts. I want to use a named range because there are over 4,000 rows in this main worksheet. I am not sure if I need a "=" to start the reference or what to do. I thought I should just use nameofworksheet!database if I name the range "database", but when I point and click to the sheet, it is just inserting the name "database" without the name of the...

Attachments to E-mail
When typing email and go to add attachment, it puts attachment in body of e-mail and reipeinets can't see. every once in a while the attachment gets put into seperate attachment area and then ok to see. Any recommendations. Thanks Versions would help troubleshooting, but I'll take a stab anyway. Does this occur when you send email with attachments to yourself? It could be that you're sending a type of file that the recipient has blocked in their configuration. It could be an issue between sending messages using HTML vs Plain Text. Not everyone can read HTML. It may ...

CAN'T E-MAIL BIZ CARD ATTCHMT
HI AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME! I'VE BEEN TRYING TO E- MAIL AN ATTCHMT TO MY EDITOR, AND GOING NUTS...I WORK FOR A SANTA MONICA PAPER, IT'S A BUSINESS CARD W/GRAPHICS ON IT AND THE DARN M.PUBLISHER WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. ALSO MY BOSS WANTS IT IN JPEG OR EPS(I DON'T HAVE EPS) AND THESE OPTIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED FROM PUBLISHER TO 'SAVE AS'. IT WOULD BE A BIG PROBLEM IF IT WAS A NEW CUSTOMER WHO ASKS ME TO DEVELOP SENT ART INTO A DISPLAY AD W/GRAPHICS & TEXT, BUT RIGHT NOW IT'S MY BOYFRIENDS' CO. BIZ CARD HE MADE IN M.PUB. ON MY COMPUTER FOR ME TO PUT IN MY...

where can i find the meaning of all icons next to a received mail
"Rolls" <Rolls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9729F859-6E44-46D8-A571-78E9A5977144@microsoft.com... > Please use this BIG WHITE SPACE to write your question. Have a look here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/icons_mail.htm -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level and the FULL contents of any error message(s) ...

Collecting Range Name values to VBA
I have a worksheet "Setup" where users type in a date in a cell named "ChtDte" and a path and database name in a cell named "FLName". I am using DOA to connect to a database and return a record set. The query used "qryCOCostwRates" uses a date paramater. Because this sheet will be used by several users all pointing to the database in different locations, I need to know where they have the database. I need to get the values in these two range names in the setup tab of the spreadsheet so I can connect to the data, and provide a value for ...

How many decimal places can a cell display?
How many decimal places can be displayed in a cell? I'm running a brute force VBA procedure of finding fractions that will approximate pi to as many decimal places as Excel will display, but I don't know how many decimal places Excel will display accurately. Anybody know? I guess this is also a matter of how many decimal places VBA will calculate accurately as well. Sub PiFractions() Dim dividend As Integer, divisor As Integer, quotient As Double Dim rowpointer As Byte rowpointer = 1 For dividend = 22 To 10000 For divisor = 7 To dividend \ 3 quotient = dividend / diviso...

COUNT /COUNTIF for Multiple Column Defined Dynamic Named Range
Hi, Would like to use Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" in Formula. The Dynami Named Range "RESULTS" spans 30 COLUMNS and many ROWS. Need help with Formula to COUNT specified criteria in each separat COLUMN of the Defined Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS". Looking for on Formula that can be adapted with an OFFSET / INDEX to work on the othe COLUMNS. Example Results required from Formula: COLUMN 1 in Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" - COUNT instances of numbe 75 COLUMN 2 in Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" - COUNT instances of numbe 75 COLUMN 30 in Dy...

returned mail undeliverable
Hi, I have posted before but the methods that were explained to me didn't work. My isp is Freeserve, but I do not use thier e mail account. I have one private domain and one Yahoo account set up in Outlook. Everything has been working fine up until a few weeks ago when I started to get Unable to send messages and undeliverable message returned mail. Now I have sent test messages to myself from either account and replied to them and all seems to be working fine. I have had family mail me as a test and I have replied with no problem, so why am I getting undeliverable messages and returned ma...

Outlook won't break lines in received plain text e-mail
Hello. I'm using Outlook 2000 on Windows XP. I moved my .pst file from another Outlook 2000 on Win98. Plain text e-mails show no line breaks. I remember on the previous Outlook I modified a registry key so they would show correctly. Do you know how to fix this? Example: MEDIA RELATIONS OFFICE JET PROPULSION LABORATORY CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION PASADENA, CALIFORNIA 91109. TELEPHONE (818) 354-5011 http://jpl.convio.net/site/R?i=I- hdBIN6ChJO-3BCLCXxIg.. http://jpl.convio.net/site/R? i=QKroV09E4GFO-3BCLCXxIg.. Guy Webster (818) ...

SQL Server 2005
We recently moved an existing server which runs a SQL Server 2005 instance to a network located behind a firewall. Prior to moving the server behind the new firewall, I was able to Start/Stop/Pause/etc the SQL Server engine and Agent from my local machine using SQL Server Management Studio. Since the move though, the options to Start/Stop/ Pause/etc SQL Server and the Agent are grayed out and the status of the server just appears as a white circle instead of the normal green circle. At this point, I am assuming their is some port that we failed to open since it was working fine until w...

Searching Recipients' Names for Emails
How do I set Outlook 2002 so that the names in the "Select Names" box will be listed last name first when I'm trying to find names to address my emails? See your answer to the later question posted. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, bioflyer7@yahoo.com asked: | How do I set Outlook 2002 so that the names in | the "Select Names" ...

Editing the name box
I entered a name in the name box for the top left cell of a form but when I clicked on the name, the cell showed up at the bottom right of the screen. I was successful in creating a name for a different form (the starting cell shows up at the top left of the screen), but I can't get the first form's starting cell out of the bottom of the screen. Now I have four different names for the same form in the name box. How do I clear the name box of useless names? How do I get the starting cell at the top left of the screen? Insert/Name/Define, then find the name, then click Delete....

Renaming a mail site
Is it possible to rename our existing mailsite in Exchange 5.5? Sorry, nope. If its just for display sake you can change the display name on the properties of the Site. This can get confusing down the road though. -- Michael Barta [MSFT] Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "KJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1a37501c44e55$f6423fa0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possibl...

Combo Box displays wrong number of drop-down lines when XP Style Theme is active
Hi, I'm trying to control the number of visible items of a combo box in a drop down state. I've used the following code to do it and it works just fine when the application does not use XP Style Theme. When the application uses the XP Style Theme the combo displays all the items. I reproduced this behavior in both win32 and MFC. ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// #define RECT_DX(rect) (rect.right - rect.left) #define RECT_DY(rect) (rect.bottom - rect.top) RECT rect; // add items to the combo-box m_combo1.AddString("value1"); m_combo1.AddSt...

Old mail deletion without recipient policies
Hi, I own an exchange 2003 server. I want to delete mail older then 90 days (for example). However, I used some software to archive all the old mail first, but this tool marked the emails which it imported so all modification dates are resetted. Since the mailbox manager uses this date too to check how old the mail is I cant remove them anymore. Does anyone knows an alternative way to delete mail which has been recivied before a certain date? Preferably on the server, not the client. Thanks > Hi, > > I own an exchange 2003 server. I want to delete mail older then 90 days > (fo...

Office X as the default address book / mail client
Is there a way to make the office suite of products the default for the Mac OS X system? Ie, when I use Safari and it has the "add to Address book" button and I click it it brings me to iAddress Book (or what ever the freebie mac address book program is called) same is true for the calendar functions. Can I get the mac interface buttons to take me to places in entourage?? I'd bet I'm not the only guy that likes the integrated features of office and would like to use them system wide on my mac. -- v/r, Joel S. Magsig CPT, AV U.S. Army Joel.magsig@us.army.mil Joel.magsig@...

New e-mail in blue font versus black font?
What is the difference between new e-mail when it shows in blue font vs. black font? mac Blue font. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, mac asked: | What is the difference between new e-mail when it shows in blue font | vs. black font? | | mac ...

Displaying items within pivot table fields
Hi Within a macro I've written I have the following syntax (which is not working); at the time that the macro reaches this line of code only the "ACCDNT" item in the "complaints_code" field within the "ComplaintsTable" pivot table is being displayed: With ActiveSheet.PivotTables("ComplaintsTable").PivotFields("complaint_code") .PivotItems("ACCDNT").Visible = False .PivotItems("ADVERSE").Visible = True End With Basically all I want to do is have the macro display the "ADVERSE" item instead of ...