Display As = File as & (address in parens)

I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
something changed.

I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.

In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN SMITH".

In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do each
one.

So I have two questions:

1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
each one manually?

2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
them?

There's no way to control this other than to change each field individually.
The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual email
address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>something changed.
>
> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>
> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
> when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
> SMITH".
>
> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do each
> one.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
> each one manually?
>
> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
> them?

0
russval1 (2100)
1/3/2006 10:07:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, Russ.  The reason this is of some consequence to me is
that when I create an email message and use the Address Book to insert an
email address, that's the syntax used in the email's "To:" field.  If you're
sending an email to a bunch of people, it gets pretty crowded in there with
both File As names AND email addresses.

Anyway, if there's nothing to be done about it, there's nothing to be done
about it.  But if I there's a Features Request List for the next version,
please add this from me: let the user decide the format for Display As.

> There's no way to control this other than to change each field
> individually.
> The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
> the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual email
> address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>>something changed.
>>
>> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
>> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>>
>> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
>> when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
>> SMITH".
>>
>> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
>> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
>> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do
>> each one.
>>
>> So I have two questions:
>>
>> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
>> each one manually?
>>
>> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
>> them?

To submit product or service suggestions to Microsoft:

(NOTE: You must be connected to the Internet.)

  1. Within the specific Microsoft Office product, navigate to the Help
menu.
  2. Click the "Contact Us" option.
  3. You can then use the "Make a Suggestion" link on the webpage to submit
any suggestion. This posts the suggestion to the "Microsoft Community". The
Microsoft Community is a public forum where you can submit suggestions for
Microsoft products and see suggestions that others have made. Community
participants vote for suggestions, and Microsoft uses the votes to help
prioritize features in upcoming versions.

--
> Thanks for the reply, Russ.  The reason this is of some consequence to me
> is that when I create an email message and use the Address Book to insert
> an email address, that's the syntax used in the email's "To:" field.  If
> you're sending an email to a bunch of people, it gets pretty crowded in
> there with both File As names AND email addresses.
>
> Anyway, if there's nothing to be done about it, there's nothing to be done
> about it.  But if I there's a Features Request List for the next version,
> please add this from me: let the user decide the format for Display As.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> There's no way to control this other than to change each field
>> individually.
>> The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
>> the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual
>> email address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>>>something changed.
>>>
>>> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
>>> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>>>
>>> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".
>>> But when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
>>> SMITH".
>>>
>>> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
>>> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
>>> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do
>>> each one.
>>>
>>> So I have two questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to
>>> do each one manually?
>>>
>>> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
>>> them?

0
russval1 (2100)

Can't display all text in cell
I'm trying to display text in a cell. I've got Wrap Text on, and I hav several paragraphs of text. All of it appears in the formula bar, bu not in the cell displayed on the screen. And yes, I increased the ro height, but it still doesn't show. Any ideas? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am having the same problem. Apparantly there is a 1024 character limitation per cel in excel. The only advice I have received so far, which does work, is to press alt+enter to create a line break. If you find another work around, I would be interested. Hi besid...

suggested ways to manipulate XML files in .Net?
Hi everyone, I'm going to manipulate some XML files in my next project-- crawl through the tags, compare if file X has the same nodes as file Y, and if not, what the differences are and who's missing what. I'll also be comparing values between nodes in the two files, for when both documents do have the same named nodes. What .Net classes should I be looking at to accomplish these tasks? Thanks a bunch. Steve Hershoff wrote: > I'm going to manipulate some XML files in my next project-- crawl through > the tags, compare if file X has the same nodes as file Y, and...

Outlook 2003: Email address in 'From' column of Inbox.
Anyone know how to get the full email address to display in the 'from' column of the inbox in Outlook 2003? I have about half a dozen "Dave"s that all have different email address but they're indistinguishable in the inbox. Plus, I'm sick of just seeing someone's name when I really need to know the company name more than anything else. At least with a proper email address, I can easily work out if it's a legit email from a known company or spam. I don't want to have to read the post to see if it's valid. ------------------------------------------...

Outlook address book with CRM
I am trying to create an address book in outlook that originates from Microsoft CRM. Can the CRM Sales for Outlook do this or is there something else I can use? ...

Excel 2007 and Word 2007 Hangs when using the File -> Open command
I have a couple users that when they have Excel 2007 or Word 2007 open, and click the File -> Open option, and choose a file, it either takes about 3 minutes to open the file or the program will crash. If they were to double click on the documents or spreadsheets, the doc or sheet will open right up. This is happening on the user's Hard drive as well as network drives. Once you get a file opened in Word or Excel, however, the next time you go to File -> Open, it's really fast to open the file. ...

Saving chart as an image file
I want to create a pie chart in Microsoft Excel, then save it as an image file (.jpg or .gif) so I can put it on a website. How do I do this? Secondly, as I create my pie chart, how do I set my data labels? I want to change them from the default (numbers) to my own description for each slice. Jon Peltier has some instructions in his Excel Charting FAQ article for exporting a chart in gif format: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon008 To add your own labels to the chart, you can use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler. It's a free add-in that yo...

Integration Manager--log file name?
Is there any way to know the name of the log file (we're writing our logs to text file) from within one of the "After" integration events? If we're successful, we need to send the user an email telling them that the event is successful. We're currently cycling through the whole folder to find the latest one, but if there were a variable in the Integration Manager VBScripts that I could use, that would be much better. Thanks. PSC: If I recall correctly, IM has a Document Error and Integration Error event in the integration properties. Rather than looking at the...

File Sharing between XP Pro and XP Home
I have a few questions concerning file sharing between XP Pro and XP Home in a Workgroup environment. I would really appreciate any help. 1)From what I'm gathering on the internet (I've read multiple articles) you cannot even connect a Windows XP Home computer to a domain. I'm I interpreting this correctly? 2)I have a new server with XP Pro and 5 other computers with XP Home. I only have 3 computers (which includes the new XP Pro server) that really need access to everything (or the main folders) on the server. The other 3 computers need limited access. If I purchase X...

Not enough system resources to display completely
I am getting this message box more frequently in my Excel workbook. Cannot find in help topics. Thanks Check out the below..(Might help) http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqapp.html#xlb -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "bgkgmg" wrote: > I am getting this message box more frequently in my Excel workbook. Cannot > find in help topics. > > Thanks I checked out site and is very helpful but why does it not happen when I adjust the zoom percentage? "Jacob Skaria" wrote: > Check out the below..(Might help) > http://www.contextures.com/xlf...

PDF file #5

SMTP Addresses #8
Hi, I am trying to export a list of email addresses from our Exchange 2003 instlalation. I am need to compile a text based list of the smtp email addresses only without LDAP info or display names etc. any ideas On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:31:02 -0800, Andy Wolsten <AndyWolsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I am trying to export a list of email addresses from our Exchange 2003 >instlalation. > >I am need to compile a text based list of the smtp email addresses only >without LDAP info or display names etc. > >any ideas Do a query filtering on...

The format of the e-mail address is incorrect
Good Morning, I'm getting the following message when attempting to send mail to anyone with an apostrophe in the domain name (ie. john.smith@wendy's.com) The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'mark_eganhouse@wendy's.com' on 2/22/2005 2:13 PM The format of the e-mail address is incorrect. Check the address, look up the recipient in the Address Book, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address. Any help would greatly be apreciated get rid of the ' it is wendys.com "JZaragozaJr" <JZaragozaJr@discussi...

linked files
When I open a file it says it is linked to another file. When I check the links it is linked to a file I no longer have. How do I find where the link is coming from and get rid of it. Going to the Edit Links doesn't seem to get rid of the file. Charlie C Try Bill Manville's excellent "FindLink" utility .. It's available at Stephen Bullen's page: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Def�ault.htm -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Charlie 5280" <Charlie 5280@discussions.microsoft.com>...

How to configure replies when using multiple email addresses?
Good morning, Here is my problem. There are several people in our organization that receive email from two different email domains, for the sake of argument, lets call them user1@abc.com and user1@xyz.com. Email from both email domains are routed through our Exchange server and then the clients receive their email through their Outlook clients, (Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2002). Abc.com is the primary email domain, and we have setup a partnership with another company, hence the arrival of the xyz.com domain. When they reply to an email, regardless if it arrives to their abc.com or xyz....

Retrieve .pst files
My PC at work is upgraded from windows NT to Windows 2000. Before upgrade I backed up all the outlook 2000 .pst files. Now I have outlook 2003. I unable to retreive .pst files. viji.pst file is available under C:\Documents and Settings\jviji\Local settings\Applicationdata/microsoft/outlook. From outlook menu file -> data file management ->add -> outlook 97-2002 personal folder.pst -> viji.pst prompts to enter passwd. Please reply how do I retrieve the passwd protected .pst file. This are very important emails. Please reply. Thanks Viji Viji Jayaraman <jviji@ems.att.co...

How can I access a file in Outlook Public Folder by VBscript
It does not have to be VBscript.. I need sync the file with my local harddrive... Thanks. Nix wrote: > It does not have to be VBscript.. > I need sync the file with my local harddrive... > > Thanks. Why does it need to be a script at all? You can add your public folder to your PF\Favorites (drag it there) and include it in your send/receive settings for offline use with your OST file. ...

moving files
How do I move files from publisher 98 to publisher 2000? The programs are installed separately. If you are talking about the documents you created, you wouldn't have to. But if you wanted to - copy and paste. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "dunefarm" <dune@discus.micro.com> wrote in message news:3854FB0D-CB6B-4D3A-A922-0A982890D3FD@microsoft.com... > How do I move files from publisher 98 to publisher 2000? The programs are > installed separately. ...

open excel 2007 refresh query from batch file
Hello all, I have a simple script saved as "C:\refresh_excel.vbs" that opens an Excel file, and does a refresh for a query on Sheet 1. I created a scheduled task to run this every day. It worked fine for previous versions of Excel, but since I have upgraded to Excel 2007 it doesn't work. Any help it helping me figure this out would be appreciated. /*contents of refresh_excel.vbs*/ Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objExcel.Visible = True Set objWorkBook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\reports\UPS.xls") objWorkbook.Sheets("...

Arrears Help Files
Hello all, I don't seem to have the help file for the Arrears transactions. I can't find it on my system don't see a reference to it in the main GP 10 help file. We have GP 10 SP 4. I looked in KB see no reference to that particular problem anywhere. TIA Anyone? On Feb 10, 8:12=A0am, Brian <nixtoo...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello all, I don't seem to have the help file for the Arrears > transactions. =A0I can't find it on my system don't see a reference to it > in the main GP 10 help file. =A0We have GP 10 SP 4. =A0I looked in KB see= no...

Message of: a program is trying to access email addresses
you have stored in outlook. Do you want to allow this. Why does this show up when a MAPI account tries to use this. It there something in a security setting I can change? Thanks. See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm#autosec -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Kim Newberry" <olgkim@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:004901c34d57$c602c670$a601280a@phx.gbl... > you...

Can OnPrint output be saved to a file?
Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be saved to a file? I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this purpose and it is more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint. Thanks. How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to file option in the Print dialog box? -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits http://www.softcircuits.com Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Can OnPrint output (icludin...

Adding an address to a Contact List
The client is using Outlook 2003 SP2. I know you can click on an email address in an email and add it as a contact to my main Contacts list. Is there a way to do the same task but add it to my other Contact Lists already setup as an addressbook...? Thanks, Tom... Tom Karpowski wrote: > The client is using Outlook 2003 SP2. > I know you can click on an email address in an email and add it as a > contact > to my main Contacts list. > Is there a way to do the same task but add it to my other Contact Lists > already setup as an addressbook...? > >...

Message-Data file not properly closed???
Upon boot of Outlook, EVERYTIME, I get this message--Data file did not close properly the last time it was used and is being checked for problems. Performance might be affected by the check in progress. When I leave Outlook, I have made sure to close all files and exit properly. Is there some reason this happens? I even go back to my main screen now. Is there something more I should be doing. Did the file checking finish before you closed Outlook? If not, it will continue/restart the next time you start Outlook. If it still does this after the checking has completed, the...

"Can't Create Backup FIle. Save [filename] Without Backp?
I get the following message every so often when running Excel 2003 under Win XP: "Can't create backup file. Save [finename] without backup?" I respond: "OK" "Your changes could not be saved to [filename] because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file." I respond: "OK". It presents me with the standard window allowing me to enter a new filename, which I do, then press OK. Then I get: "Do you want to save the changes you made to [fileename]? I respond: "Yes" "Document not saved." This is VERY annoying. I am t...

Unable to send email to a certain address
I can recieve email froma certain address but can't send email to it or reply. I get the following error message: The original message was received at Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:35:25 -0500 from ool-43507010.dyn.optonline.net [67.80.112.16] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <rbayersdorfer@franklinlakes.k12.nj.us> (reason: 550 Can't verify your host name) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- .... while talking to mail.franklinlakes.k12.nj.us.: >>> MAIL From:<rjaekel@dicararubinoarchitects.com> <<< 550 Can't ver...