Display As = File as & (address in parens)

I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
something changed.

I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.

In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN SMITH".

In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do each
one.

So I have two questions:

1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
each one manually?

2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
them?

There's no way to control this other than to change each field individually.
The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual email
address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>something changed.
>
> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>
> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
> when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
> SMITH".
>
> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do each
> one.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
> each one manually?
>
> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
> them?

0
russval1 (2100)
1/3/2006 10:07:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, Russ.  The reason this is of some consequence to me is
that when I create an email message and use the Address Book to insert an
email address, that's the syntax used in the email's "To:" field.  If you're
sending an email to a bunch of people, it gets pretty crowded in there with
both File As names AND email addresses.

Anyway, if there's nothing to be done about it, there's nothing to be done
about it.  But if I there's a Features Request List for the next version,
please add this from me: let the user decide the format for Display As.

> There's no way to control this other than to change each field
> individually.
> The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
> the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual email
> address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>>something changed.
>>
>> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
>> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>>
>> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
>> when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
>> SMITH".
>>
>> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
>> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
>> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do
>> each one.
>>
>> So I have two questions:
>>
>> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
>> each one manually?
>>
>> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
>> them?

To submit product or service suggestions to Microsoft:

(NOTE: You must be connected to the Internet.)

  1. Within the specific Microsoft Office product, navigate to the Help
menu.
  2. Click the "Contact Us" option.
  3. You can then use the "Make a Suggestion" link on the webpage to submit
any suggestion. This posts the suggestion to the "Microsoft Community". The
Microsoft Community is a public forum where you can submit suggestions for
Microsoft products and see suggestions that others have made. Community
participants vote for suggestions, and Microsoft uses the votes to help
prioritize features in upcoming versions.

--
> Thanks for the reply, Russ.  The reason this is of some consequence to me
> is that when I create an email message and use the Address Book to insert
> an email address, that's the syntax used in the email's "To:" field.  If
> you're sending an email to a bunch of people, it gets pretty crowded in
> there with both File As names AND email addresses.
>
> Anyway, if there's nothing to be done about it, there's nothing to be done
> about it.  But if I there's a Features Request List for the next version,
> please add this from me: let the user decide the format for Display As.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> There's no way to control this other than to change each field
>> individually.
>> The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
>> the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual
>> email address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>>>something changed.
>>>
>>> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
>>> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>>>
>>> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".
>>> But when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
>>> SMITH".
>>>
>>> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
>>> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
>>> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do
>>> each one.
>>>
>>> So I have two questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to
>>> do each one manually?
>>>
>>> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
>>> them?

0
russval1 (2100)

How to get XML data out of an XML file

Multiple PST Files #2

Money 2006 file repair application error

Application hanging on file load...
Okay, I'm having the strangest problem, and I'm hoping somebody here will be able to give me an idea of how to attack it... I have an MFC application that does some networked communication, multi-threading, fun stuff... I also load and save xml configuration files. Now, on most of the computers I've run my software on, I have absolutely no problems. On SOME boxes, however, whenever I use my menu to try to load or save a file... before the File Dialog box even comes up... the application hangs. All the boxes I've tried this on have been Windows 2000 boxes with Service Pack 4....

can't open files

How do I break URL address over two lines?
I am trying to enter website addresses into footnotes and Word automatically forces the footnote onto a separate line. I need to conform to certain aditing requirements and want the url to start right after the citation and continue on to however many lines are necessary, but not leave a gap because it starts the url on a separate line in the footnote. Help please. In the edit hyperlink dialog, put the URI in both the Address and Text-to- display boxes. That way you can use a space or linebreak to wrap the display text to the next line without affecting the hyperlink ability. Hyp...

I can no longer convert my files to pdf

Anonymous LDAP Browsing in OL2K3 Address Book
Authenticated users are able to browse, list, and resolve email addresses to my LDAP directory server. Anonymous users are able to resolve email addresses to my LDAP directory server but are not able to browse or list the LDAP directory. Is their a permission I need to set for anonymous users to be able to browse and list the LDAP directory? Any help is greatly appreciated. You need to ask this in a group that supports your mail serve, not the client. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name ...

Outlook Data Files #4

Backup Excel file

Send 1 address to 2 mailboxes
I want to create an address and have any mail sent to that address delivered to two separate users' mailboxes. How can I do that. I've tried simply adding the address in the two users' "Email Addresses" tab in the User's properties of ADU&C. But it wouldn't allow me to add the same address to the second user ("This email address already exists in this organization"). I've also tried creating a new user for the address and forwarding the email to the 2 other users (Exchange General tab - Delivery Options button - Forward To field). But ...

Utility (pref. script) to catalog .EDB files
Hi, I have a client that is using an Enterprise backup tool which, whilst able to back-up and restore, does not provide in-depth information like traditional Exchange-aware backup products. I have been asked to write a script to list the users in a flat .EDB file (which has been snapped and copied and flushed using SAN replication tools). I have taken a look at the ESE API, which can only be accessed using C + (I only use VB). Other than EXMERGE, does anyone know of any tools that allow you to list the basic mailbox details on a EDB file? Thanks, Hutton. ...

List folders to file

Hyperlink File Help

IMPORTING MONEY FILES DUP ENTRIES
I have been unable to run money98 files in money2003.Tried importing files but all tranfers between accounts are duplicated. Don't understand how to import all the accounts at once. I created new accounts in 2003 and imported one by one, but any transactions between accounts is duplicated. Follow the prompts on the import file dialog that tell you to select multiple files to import at the same time. There are other guidelines if investment accounts are involved. You might want to review postings on this subject in the group archives at http://groups.google.com. "JAYNE" &l...

Lost .pst files
I am using Office XP with Outlook 2002 (SP2). I recently had a boot track failure on my old computer which had 2 hard drives, using the second drive as back-up storage. I bought a new computer and installed the old main drive (the one with the failed boot track) in my new computer as a second drive and copied all the data onto the new main drive. All data and software works except Outlook. I cannot find any .pst files on my old drive. Where could they be. BTW I use Matadore as a spam blocker. In article <014e01c3462e$561cbdf0$a101280a@phx.gbl>, daddyray01 @sport.rr.com say...

modify contact address when account address gets modified
Hi, How do I ripple my changes from company level to the related contacts ? For example the main company phone number and the main address ? Do I need a product like Scribe for this, or can this be done with the workflow ? Thanks for any advice Wim You can't do this with workflow, and I don't believe Scribe can do this (though I may be wrong - I've only used Scribe for one project). I would think that you'd need to create a post callout using the SDK. There is more info at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/CrmSdk1_2/htm/v1d2microsoftcrmversi...

Read file info using SMO locks database!
Hi! I'm using SMO from C# to restore a database from a backup file. Since I want to re-use the same datafiles I try to read the datafiles in my destination database and call RelocateFile to use these filenames during the restore. Everyting works fine except when I try to read the current datafilenames (see code below). If I skip this code and just hardcode the paths in relocatefile everything works fine. Database db = svr.Databases[destinationDBName]; foreach (FileGroup group in db.FileGroups) foreach (DataFile file in group.Files) Console.WriteLine...

Address Book in Outlook 2002
I own two computers (a laptop and a desktop) and both run on Window's XP Professional and Outlook 2002. I would like to get a copy of my address book on my desktop and place it on my laptop. How do I do this? My thanks in advance. Outlook does not have an address book. All Contact information is stored in the Contacts Folder. You can export your Contacts Folder to a PST file, then import that into the other installation. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Matthew" <mdash@telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:013d01c3a7c4$f1bc1650$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I own two c...

Hyperlink To JPG File
I have added a hyperlink to a jpg (photo) file, and when i select the hyperlink, the jpg file opens in Corel Photo-Paint. Is there a way that I can force it to open with Windows Photo and Fax Viewer, Instead. Thanks GW Open Windows Explorer and find a *.jpg file. Select it and right-click and "Open With" Make Windows Photo and Fax Viewer the default "always open with". If you get an error, you may have to open Corel Photo-Paint and disassociate *.jpg files using probably some Options setting. If neither of these steps work for you, in Windows Explorer>Tools>...

how do I set up a spreadsheet file?
How do I set up a spread sheet file using Excel? Now this is going to be an interesting one to watch. Personally, I'd say you're going to need to be a lot more specific about what you want to do. Failing that, go buy some books on Excel. Regards Trevor "louis markos" <louis markos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A30023FF-61DE-4D21-8E31-77FF134B8F5C@microsoft.com... > How do I set up a spread sheet file using Excel? louis markos wrote: > How do I set up a spread sheet file using Excel? I did a quick search for an Excel tutori...

"Arranged" files scroll together
This is driving me crazy... I often display several files at once so that I can see different sections. Ever since I've had Excel 2003, all the "arranged" files scroll together when I move in one of them. This makes it impossible to see the areas that I need. I've tried both the Arrange and the Compare Side by Side (which, by the way, is a very frustrating new utility), but cannot figure out how to keep the non-active files from being affected by cursor movements. I waste literally hours a day trying to deal with this. ...

GENERATE a TEXT FILE Using INPUT from a Form ??
I need to generate a Text file using (partly) information entered by the user on a form. I already have the TEMPLATE for the text file......I need to generate a COPY of the file with the word entered by the user into the form INSERTED into the text file. The text file is actually code for a web page (will have an .htm extension). The file is simply an exact copy of an existing template with only ONE ITEM of the text changed to a word that is entered into a form by a user. Example: One line within the template file is: "We have several of these items available in BLUE." I have...