Display As = File as & (address in parens)

I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
something changed.

I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.

In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN SMITH".

In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do each
one.

So I have two questions:

1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
each one manually?

2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
them?

There's no way to control this other than to change each field individually.
The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual email
address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>something changed.
>
> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>
> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
> when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
> SMITH".
>
> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do each
> one.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
> each one manually?
>
> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
> them?

0
russval1 (2100)
1/3/2006 10:07:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, Russ.  The reason this is of some consequence to me is
that when I create an email message and use the Address Book to insert an
email address, that's the syntax used in the email's "To:" field.  If you're
sending an email to a bunch of people, it gets pretty crowded in there with
both File As names AND email addresses.

Anyway, if there's nothing to be done about it, there's nothing to be done
about it.  But if I there's a Features Request List for the next version,
please add this from me: let the user decide the format for Display As.

> There's no way to control this other than to change each field
> individually.
> The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
> the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual email
> address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>>something changed.
>>
>> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
>> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>>
>> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".  But
>> when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
>> SMITH".
>>
>> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
>> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
>> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do
>> each one.
>>
>> So I have two questions:
>>
>> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to do
>> each one manually?
>>
>> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
>> them?

To submit product or service suggestions to Microsoft:

(NOTE: You must be connected to the Internet.)

  1. Within the specific Microsoft Office product, navigate to the Help
menu.
  2. Click the "Contact Us" option.
  3. You can then use the "Make a Suggestion" link on the webpage to submit
any suggestion. This posts the suggestion to the "Microsoft Community". The
Microsoft Community is a public forum where you can submit suggestions for
Microsoft products and see suggestions that others have made. Community
participants vote for suggestions, and Microsoft uses the votes to help
prioritize features in upcoming versions.

--
> Thanks for the reply, Russ.  The reason this is of some consequence to me
> is that when I create an email message and use the Address Book to insert
> an email address, that's the syntax used in the email's "To:" field.  If
> you're sending an email to a bunch of people, it gets pretty crowded in
> there with both File As names AND email addresses.
>
> Anyway, if there's nothing to be done about it, there's nothing to be done
> about it.  But if I there's a Features Request List for the next version,
> please add this from me: let the user decide the format for Display As.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> There's no way to control this other than to change each field
>> individually.
>> The field is of no consequence so there's no real need to change it. Half
>> the users wanted only the familiar name here, half wanted the actual
>> email address, so now you get both. Now everyone should be happy.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and
>>>something changed.
>>>
>>> I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the
>>> person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does.
>>>
>>> In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)".
>>> But when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN
>>> SMITH".
>>>
>>> In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the
>>> default: name AND email address.  It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping
>>> there's some way for me to change these without having to manually do
>>> each one.
>>>
>>> So I have two questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Is there a way to change these Display As entries without having to
>>> do each one manually?
>>>
>>> 2) Is there aw ay to change the default so it will create them as I want
>>> them?

0
russval1 (2100)

address book #22
is it possible to set up outlook express 6 so that the only emails I receive are from addresses in my address book? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;n...

Address Book Column Sequence
Every since I downloaded upgrade to Office XP my email address book is listed Name Display Name Address And I want "Display Name" first because it is last name first unlike the "Name" which is first name first. How can I change the columns? You can't change the columns, nor do you need to. Instead change the sort order of the Address Book. Go to Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing directories or address books > Outlook Address Book > Change. > Set your sort order there -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "dma...

Displaying a stored image on a form
I created an OLE Object type field in a table and then I inserted an graphic file (JPG). I then created a form on which I want to display my graphic file. I tried to display the graphic in a bound object control but the contol only displays the file name or an icon on the form. How can I get the actual graphic to display? I can display an image on a form but this is only a link to a graphic file and if I move or delete the original graphic file the database connection is lost. I want the image to be stored in the database so there is no linkage to outside files. Has anyone done th...

.qfx file in excel
my bank for some reason will only allow me to download my statement in a qfx file (quicken) but i dont have any quicken programs i use excel to manage my finances how can i open this file up??? If the bank does not have .text (.txt) or comma separated variables (.csv), which would probably be listed as spreadsheet format, then I would complain to the bank. Meanwhile you could copy and paste from your checking activity HTML pages. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: ...

.mdi Files
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have some .mdi files (generated at work with some lab software). They seem to open okay on my work PC. Is there any way that I can get Office 2008 and a MAC to recognize / open these? No, .mdi is a Windows-only format exclusive to the Microsoft Document Imaging program... Even other Windows apps can't read or create them. If you can get them into a Windows box open them in MDI & then Save As TIFF to get a format that can be opened by graphics apps or inserted into other documents as a picture. TIFF files are ...

Unable to start up my Excel files
One of my users have this odd issue with his Excel 2003. He's unable to start the files directly but instead he must start a blank excel sheet then open his files from there. Is there a solution to this issue? Please advise. Thanks! Dell 170L P4 800mghz 1gbram Windows XP Pro SP2 Office 2003 SP2 Could the problem be that he cannot open files by double-clicking on them from Windows Explorer, but must open Excel (which will launch a blank sheet) and then open them directly from there using File / Open... If so then tell him to try Tools / Options / General / untick 'Ignore Othe...

File password override
I'm trying to restore a backup file. Money is asking for a file password. I enter the password that is appropriate for the Passport account used to lock the file, but Money will not accept that. I wonder if this file has a seperate file password and if so, I have no memory of what it may have been. Is there some way to reset it? Is there some other way in to this file? Thanks Though I sympathize with your problem, I certainly hope there's no back door. If there is, I'm going back to paper records. I shudder to think that a hacker could conceivably get an older backup file an...

opening .dat Accounts Receivable file in Great Plains for DOS
Hi There: We are trying to retrieve some information from a posted accounts receivable report... We think its in a .dat file but have no way of opening... This anyone know if this is possible... Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Sincerely, Carmine Carmine, Can you be a little more specific? What version of GP, what report, what information? Victoria "Carmine" <Carmine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:839CC67C-A4C7-4584-8119-C40F74960573@microsoft.com... Hi There: We are trying to retrieve some information from a posted accounts ...

csv-file problems with different regions
I have imported an American csv-file into a German Excel XP. The American $-values are separated by a "." while the German currency values are separated by a ",". So now my spreadsheet reads a value of $ 18.01 as 18. January. All values above 18.12 are ok. How can I avoid this problem? Or, can I change the values tediously one cell after the other? I have not found a way yet as even when I try to format a cell user defined it automatically changes to the format used in the German region. Thanks. Hans Temporarily change the regional settings on your computer to the same f...

File set up query.
Can i set up an excel file to open automatically on pc start up? The easiest is to use the Startup folder available in the Start Menu. To access it go to Start - Programs - Startup. You can delete or add tasks here according to your needs. They will start after Windows logon. When you start Excel, all the files that are located in the XLStart folder are automatically opened. Additionally, if you specified an alternative startup folder for Excel, every file in that folder is also automatically opened. To specify an alternative startup folder, in Microsoft Excel 2002 or Microsof...

Sorting file list by date/time...
Hello, does anybody have an idea how to program a sorting function given a directory with files, which should red to an array which is sorted by date and time, but contains only the filenames. Is there a MFC function or a shell function of the OS which could ease the job instead of doing it manually? Regards, Diana On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:39:50 +0200, "Diana Bulthaupt" <Diana.Bulthaupt(at)web.de> wrote: >does anybody have an idea how to program a sorting function given a >directory with files, which should red to an array which is sorted by date >an...

Wnat to change email address of Public Folder email address with Exchange 2003! Get error
The HTTP service used by Public Folder is not avialable, possible are that the Public stores are not mounted and the Information Store service i snot running. Id no: c1030af Exchange System Manager Used as part of SBS 2K3 Publick folders and information services are started and working properly! Questions? 1) How to fix Public stores are not mounted? How? 2) Fixed with Exchange SP1 "Walt Smith" <walts@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:z0Nqe.59554$887.53617@tornado.socal.rr.com... > The HTTP service used by Public Folder is not avialable, possible ...

Displaying Text
Hello, I have an MFC application, where I'm interested in displaying some text for the user in the client area. To do this, I create a device context, and use the .TextOut method to display CStrings. The problem begins when the window is resized, or when a menu that hides the text pops - once the menu is closed, or after the window has been resized, the text (or parts of it) are being erased. How can this be solved? I read that when the window is resized, OnPaint is called, and thus I tried displaying the text from there - hoping to re-display it "after" it has been erased. The...

Can I access the previous version of a saved file?
I overwrote an excel file by mistake, using the save as command to an incorrect file. Is there any way to recover the previous file before I "saved as" over it? Hi! I'm using Excel 10 (XP)......WinXP....... If I have an existing file and open it, make some changes, then do a SAVE AS and give it a different name, the newly "saved as" file is a completely *NEW* file and the original is still in tact with the previous file name. Try looking for the previous file name. Biff "JCC" <JCC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9CAD1748-1D5C...

Display comments as data #2
thanks a lot , this worked exactly as required, the comment go converted to data Now just one more thing . is the vice versa possible i.e if i have dat in column A can it be shown as comment in column B. the reason i need this is bcos i am shifting some data with thei comments to MS access(Hence the need to convert omments to data) processing them and again converting them to excel (the need to conver data back to comments -- sonik ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sonika's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=...

outlook 2003 sent items column displays "none"
Hi.. When I send a mail message to someone (an exchange user) by Outlook 2003 ; message shown as in sent items 'to column' "to : (none)" (with arrange by to: ) and in message to & cc fields are blank... In addition mail recipients receiving mail to & cc fields are blank.. How can I solve this problem ; can anybody help me ? Thanks.. ...

how to edit Adobe file
how to edit Adobe file Most certainly not in Word. pdf files, I'm assuming that is what you mean by 'Adobe files', are 'fixed' files. Their layout is frozen so they look the same on any machine and can not be edited. If you still want to edit such a pdf file, you will have to convert the file to something else, edit it, and then save the result back as a pdf. The best tool to do the conversion of pdf files to Word documents is probably Acrobat Professional. Unfortunately, that is a rather expensive product to use for a few simple conversions. There are ...

Contacts with multiple email addresses #2
Need Help When I right-click a contact and click create new message, all of the contacts three email addresses autimatically appear in the "to" line. How do I prevent this from happening. In other words, how do I make one the three addresses for that contact a default address so that only that one appears when I try to send an email. Thanks ...

Replicating Formulas between excel files
Hi there, Does anyone know how I can replicate formulas (verbatim) between difference excel files? I've tried to cut and paste between the separate files, but to my dismay it makes a reference to the original file. Regards, Nickchups The best procedure depends on how many you're trying to copy. For one or two, you can select the *entire* formula in the formula bar, right click and choose "Copy", then hit <Enter>. Now you can navigate to wherever you wish, and Paste it as many times and/or places you want. For numerous formulas, *unformulate* them by replacing t...

move files and prompt user if file already exists in target filepath
I have the following code that moves files between folders. Unfortunately, already existing files get overwritten if the new filename is the same. Is there a way to prompt the user in case the file would already exist and to abort the copy kill operation? here's my code: Private Sub Command9_Click() Dim strNewName As String Dim strOldName As String Dim strtargetfilepath As String strtargetfilepath = DLookup("[Draft to Active]", "filepath") strOldName = Me.Filename strNewName = strtargetfilepath & "\" & Me.Name1 FileCopy strOldName, strNe...

email address changing
We are experiencing a problem where users email address are changing by themselves. The users have an alias that we setup during user creation that is different from the username. Out of the blue they are having email addresses that show up that are their username@domain.com and it is set as the primary address. Any ideas? thanks The Recipient Policy is the obvious candidate. Take a look and post back to the list if that is not the source of the problem. Nue "Taylor" <user@home.com> wrote in message news:%23grbhzvFGHA.3100@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > We are experien...

Contact to Address Relationship adding new Address fields
The Contact Entity has a number of field attributes attached to it from the Address table like Address1_city. With CRM 3.0 can I add a new field to the Address table and get it to link to the contact like Address1_City? If so how would I do that? I don't want to have to add a field to the contact table and then map it to the address table because that will mean having two copies of the same data and having them keep each other in synch in an onchange event, if I can. Can I do what I want or do I have to take the second approach? Mike You can do this in a completely unsupported w...

Want to hack the recently used file list max entries
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Would anyone care to offer a hack method to get the recently used file list to show more than 9 entries? No use telling me it can't be changed. I am asking for the &quot;Yes&quot; people to answer. OK, yes... The first thing you need to do is contact Microsoft & ask them for the source code. Seriously, there is no user option other than the setting provided in Preferences. If you want to see a longer list use the 'Recent' page of Project Gallery from the file menu. On its Customize page ...

Outlook 2007 cannot open .pst file
I just installed Outlook 2007, then moved older outlook pst files successfully into my new Outlook. However, I closed it and then restarted it. It claims that it cannot open the Outlook.pst file anymore. In trouble, need any and all input as to how to fix it; other than completely reinstalling it. I will loose some new email that I downloaded. thank you, -- ravimk http://forums.slipstick.com Which method did you use to reconnect your older pst-files? "Moved it" is not a valid action nor does it describe exactly what you did. The proper way to reconnect...

All Messages Bounced if my ISP Address Not Used
It's very weird, but any message I send from OLE with any return address other than my ISP email account at roadrunner is bounced. They are bounced from the recipient email server or from the email server which handles my personal domain name, which bounces the messages as from postmaster@domain.us (where the "domain" is mine) Anyone know why????????? I can use my Agent email program with no problem with any return address. My wife needs to use OLE version 6.x at home like she does at work! TIA, Vince to the best of my knowledge, RR requires you to use the RR address u...