Disable changing the sort/grouping setting in inbox messages

Is there a way to disable a person from changing his sorting/grouping
of messages in his inbox in Outlook 2003?
We have a person that keeps sorting/grouping by sender, so he tends to
only see the messages he wants to see.
We want him keeping them sorted by received date/time so he sees all
messages as they come in, as some are going unread for days that he
needs to be seeing and doing something with.

Anyway to force a sort order in messages, and disallow grouping,
through a registry entry, or in some other way?

Greg
0
gthomson (1)

No.  Unfortunately there are no technological solutions for this behavioral
problem.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll:

"gthomson" <gthomson@tierrasoftware.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to disable a person from changing his sorting/grouping
> of messages in his inbox in Outlook 2003?
> We have a person that keeps sorting/grouping by sender, so he tends to
> only see the messages he wants to see.
> We want him keeping them sorted by received date/time so he sees all
> messages as they come in, as some are going unread for days that he
> needs to be seeing and doing something with.
>
> Anyway to force a sort order in messages, and disallow grouping,
> through a registry entry, or in some other way?
>
> Greg

0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/24/2009 1:01:59 AM
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:42:23 -0700 (PDT), gthomson
<gthomson@tierrasoftware.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to disable a person from changing his sorting/grouping
> of messages in his inbox in Outlook 2003?

No. It's entirely up to him.

> We have a person that keeps sorting/grouping by sender, so he tends to
> only see the messages he wants to see.

Not only can he do that, but he can also killfile you if he wants to.

> We want him keeping them sorted by received date/time so he sees all
> messages as they come in, as some are going unread for days that he
> needs to be seeing and doing something with.
>
> Anyway to force a sort order in messages, and disallow grouping,
> through a registry entry, or in some other way?
>
> Greg

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
kblake (73)
9/24/2009 1:12:31 AM
"gthomson" <gthomson@tierrasoftware.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to disable a person from changing his sorting/grouping
> of messages in his inbox in Outlook 2003?
> We have a person that keeps sorting/grouping by sender, so he tends to
> only see the messages he wants to see.
> We want him keeping them sorted by received date/time so he sees all
> messages as they come in, as some are going unread for days that he
> needs to be seeing and doing something with.
>
> Anyway to force a sort order in messages, and disallow grouping,
> through a registry entry, or in some other way?
>
> Greg

In addition to the other responses, I worked for a company some years ago
that had a policy in place that not responding to email was a disciplinary
offence.
Maybe introduce something like that?

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In addition to the other responses, I worked for a company some years ago
> that had a policy in place that not responding to email was a disciplinary
> offence.

There is so much abiguity and subjectivity to that that my head hurts thinking
about it.  I don't see any way such a policy can be fairly enforced or, the
violation even detected in many cases.  How draconian.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/24/2009 11:54:31 AM
"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> In addition to the other responses, I worked for a company some years ago
>> that had a policy in place that not responding to email was a
>> disciplinary offence.
>
> There is so much abiguity and subjectivity to that that my head hurts
> thinking about it.  I don't see any way such a policy can be fairly
> enforced or, the violation even detected in many cases.  How draconian.

I admit it wasn't quite as simple as that, but the inference was there that
if you don't respond, there could be sanctions....this was nearly ten years
ago!

You could say the same about speeding or almost any traffic violation - but
when someone is caught, they do face sanctions as permitted by law. They
just don't get caught very often.

There really is no other way to make people do something they try to avoid
doing - the only way to get this type of person to act responsibly is by
threatening them with disciplinary action.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll:

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> In addition to the other responses, I worked for a company some years ago
>> that had a policy in place that not responding to email was a
>> disciplinary offence.
>
> There is so much abiguity and subjectivity to that that my head hurts
> thinking about it.  I don't see any way such a policy can be fairly
> enforced or, the violation even detected in many cases.  How draconian.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Changed behavior of overriden OnCmdMsg(...) after migration to Visual Studio 2005
Hello, please assist in solving critical problem which I faced after migration of my project to Visual Studio 2005 from Visual Studio 6.0. My project is a document-view based application, view class is inherited from CFormView, it is a dialogue with multiple edit fields. For example, field m_Edit1 has OnKillFocus(...) handler defined which validates user entered data. The next field m_Edit2 doesn't have this handler. At the same time I have overriden method OnCmdMsg(..) in my view class. This method performs some checking for content of m_Edit1 when EN_KILLFOCUS is sent and calls OnCmdMsg(...

Please Help! How to set color for Tree Control chield items
Hello, I am using VC++ 6.0 In the project I create tree control in the window using the following code: hwndLVt = CreateWindowEx(WS_EX_STATICEDGE,WC_TREEVIEW, "", WS_VISIBLE | WS_CHILD | WS_EX_STATICEDGE| TVS_HASLINES | TVS_HASBUTTONS | TVS_TRACKSELECT | TVS_SINGLEEXPAND | TVS_FULLROWSELECT | TVS_INFOTIP | ...

Change allignment on double catagory axis
Good Afternoon. I am running windows xp prof and have this issue with both excel 2007 and 2003. I have an area chart which has double information in the bottom catagoryaxis. It has one date for two columns. When I got rotate the information on the catagory axis. it only rotates the information that comes first and not the date. How can I get excel to change the alignment of all date in the catagory axis. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance... Myssie You get the orientation Excel gives you. You may get some control by changing the ...

CWnd control doesn't send messages to parent
I am creating a CWnd-derived caption bar control for the educational software I am developing. Inside the caption bar control, I create three buttons (minimize, restore, exit). The problem is, the WM_COMMAND messages are not bubbling up beyond my caption bar control. How can I make the messages bubble up to my CFormView or CFrameWnd so I can handle them there? "IUnknown" <swradio@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns94CC71BC95974swradiohotmailcom@38.119.100.146... > > I am creating a CWnd-derived caption bar control for the educational > software I am develop...

Help! Sorting problem
I need to sort a list of alphanumeric values in excel using the numeric part of the value only. All the values have the format AB123456C but I need the whole value to show after the sort, not just the numeric part. Can this be done? Alistair Assuming your data is in an unbroken list: Add a new column. Insert the formula =MID(A1,3,6) and copy down to the length of your data. This should give you just the numerical part of your value. Now you can sort on it. Whether you chose to display this column after the sort is up to you. -- George Nicholson Remove 'Junk' from return address....

Exchange 5.5 Disable User from Sending Internally
Hi All This is a bit of a strange one. I have a customer of mine still running Exchange 5.5 that wish to create a mailbox that a user can log into and receive mail but is unable to send to other users internally to the exchange organisation of externally. For the moment we have set a mailbox size limit to acheive this functionality however the user receives a bounce back when attempting to send , but the customer would prefer that no bounce is received and the sent email disappears into the ether. I am familiar with disabling the ability to send externally however I can't think of a way ...

How do I set up a centerfold print for a booklet?
I have a 50 page booket and I want the center pages to print as a centerfold. Any ideas? All but the centerfold and the pages on the reverse side of the centerfold can be done with the booklet fold option. You'll need to print the centerfold and the two other pages as a separate print job. Actually, when you determine which two pages the centerfold section will be, you can just make those two pages blank and let the backside print, then remove that sheet and print the center fold on it. Assuming that you are using a letter size sheet which is folded, you would set up the centerfol...

US banks not available for on-line set-up if user located outside
I am located in Belgium. I have downloaded and installed MS Money 2006 (US version - 90 days trial version) for the purpose determining whether I can use Money to keep track of my US bank accounts (Citibank and Fidelity, incl. investment and 401k). I use Windows XP incl. all SP and security updates. When I try to set up US accounts for online use, I get to the point where Money searches the name of banks which permit an on-line information exchange. Rather than displaying the list, I see a response, "information temporarily not available" (for the last three days). I have tr...

sorting data by column in Excel 07
hi all, having been used to office 93 sort by column A I can not seem to achieve this in office 2007, I have a column of numbers and have a 93 in the middle of the 20s and I want it to sort by that column but can not seem to get anywhere ? David ...

Disable email notification for certain projects
Hi. I'm looking for a way to disable Project Server email notification for a certain project. In my company we log our leave in Leave project. The problem is, we have about 400 staff and everyone will get an email from Project Server for every submitted leave. We need the email notification, but not for the leave project. Is there a way to disable the email notification for this project only? Thank you and regards, Eko Pramono Eko -- There is no way to disable the e-mail messages in Project Server for one specific project. Because of this, I would recommend that ...

Error: The subscription to publication is invalid in SFO offline whenever i disable and re-enable replication
Hi, I'm getting the Error: "The subscription to publication is invalid" in the SFO when I try to go offline whenever i disable and re-enable replication. I only know how to fix it by re-installing SFO. There must be another solution as I imaginine my customers may want to sometimes disable replication. In which case, all of their clients shouldn't need to re-install the SFO client. Is this by design? Or is there something in the replication settings which i could do? Thanks Linna ...

Outlook Inbox Access
I have a small business and my Manager, IT is leaving. He is dragging his feet on giving me access to his e-mail account, which certain clients send information too. How can I get access to his Inbox? ...

Set margins?
I re-installed Publisher 02 on my new computer today. I went to open an existing file and the margins are not set. The top and bottom of the pages are getting cut off. I looked for everything to set the margins and make it fit. The file was perfect before and everything was displayed. I cant figure out how to get it all in again!! The layout guides are at 0" and the page setup gives me no options to set the margins. What happened? What do I do? Hi, Mike - They moved it to the "Arrange" menu. M. "Mike" wrote: > I re-installed Publisher 02 on my n...

Sort order of views / search field
Is it anyhow possible to change the standard field searchbox in views ? For standard search it's a bit annoying having to go in advanced search ! Jack ...

multicolumn adress file. want to sort on last , first name
how do i do it. Hi, could you provide an example of your file "bdcochran" wrote: > how do i do it. Last First Telephone Address Suite City State Zip Code Personal Notes "Eduardo" wrote: > Hi, > could you provide an example of your file > > "bdcochran" wrote: > > > how do i do it. Last First Telephone Address Suite City State Zip CodePersonal Notes Hi, Insert and empty row between the titles and the first row with Data, then highlight the total range from the column containing the Last name to the one containing the notes, t...

Groups of mail boxes in Outlook Express
Hello! I often send similar emails to the same group of people (=the same mail boxes). How to send one message into the a few emails at one time, but previously having thrown them into the one group, so I would type not "example@example.com; example1@example.com; example2@example.com", but I would like to type one group of emails: "EXAMBLE GROUP". Is it possible to do it in Win XP Home Edition Outlook Express? If so how? Thank you in advance for help M. Open Tools, Address Book, then click New, New Group... Add the individuals to the group then send to the group ...

Can you sort text in a column, but leave cell color alone?
1st time using excel.... I want to make a wrestling roster to keep the wrestlers weights for each day. I would like to have a wrestler's name and weight of each day in a row. To make it easier to see, I would like for every other row to have a grey shade (like stripes). When I sort, the shade goes with the text. Is there anyway to make a shade on each other row and still be able to sort? Hi yes, select your worksheet and choose format / conditional formatting choose formula is type =ROW()=ODD(ROW()) click on the format button, go to the patterns tab, choose a fill colour click OK tw...

CHANGE DATES
I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TYPE 6 DIGIT NO. EG 010101 AND EXCEL CHANGE IT TO 01/01/01 HOW CAN I DO THIS SIMPLY THANKYOU See your response in Excel.misc newsgroup. And in addition to not using Caps lock, please don't multipost Frank ME wrote: > I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TYPE 6 DIGIT NO. EG 010101 AND EXCEL CHANGE IT > TO 01/01/01 HOW CAN I DO THIS SIMPLY THANKYOU ...

Set Control value on a form
What is the syntax to set the value of control on a form from VBA? Forms!frmYourForm!txtYourControl.Value = "Some Value" The form must be open and txtYourControl must be updateable. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "MeSteve" wrote: > What is the syntax to set the value of control on a form from VBA? This is what I needed to move the logic to a module. I had already started tinkering with that, but couldn't get the control on the report to update. I will try this tomorrow, thanks. "Duane Hookom" wrote: > Forms!frmYourForm!txtYourControl.Va...

Messages bouncing back from *archive@domain.com"
Msgs are going through to distribution groups fine, however I keep getting "delay" and Undeliverable errors that the message did not reach the "distributiongroup"archive@"ourdomain".com. I am not journaling with my mailbox store and I checked the distribution group properties and found the "archive" as a member and deleted it but still no go. Any thoughts? Thanks Please post the NDR. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Pete Kepler" <dcarico@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:...

Can we disable the an Accounts option?
In Outlook (2003 SP1) is it possible to remove an account from the Accounts drop down list on the E-mail toolbar (which appears if there is more than one send account in the profile)? Can this option be programmed, i.e. where is it in the object model for Outlook? Thanks for your input, Brian Brian Taylor <taylorb@newsgroups.nospam> wrote: > In Outlook (2003 SP1) is it possible to remove an account from the > Accounts drop down list on the E-mail toolbar (which appears if there > is more than one send account in the profile)? Sure. Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next. S...

Error: 0x800c0131 and Deleted InBox
I have been having the following error from Outlook Express for about 4 months and have not gotten to fix it (This basically doesn't let me send e-mails or receive e- mails once I am on my computer for 5 minutes. I have to always shut down my computer and restart): Unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP Port: 0 Secure: No [SSL] Error: 0x800c0131 However, I just looked at the code number above (0x800c0131) and believe I fixed the issue with the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN- US;233264 I basically had to do the following: 1---Click S...

using combo boxes to sort
I need to make a spreadsheet for work with several fields. I have inserted combo boxes into certain columns (last name, first name) so that data can be easily found. The problem that I am running into is that when I choose let's say a last name, it separates from the rest of the data but the rest of the row (first name, date of birth, etc) stays in the original spot. How do I make it so that I can find data in one column but have all the information in that row move? I have also seen charts where when the requested data comes up the rest of the data "hides." If anyone know...

oma not working after exchange address change
last night i changed the internal address of my network, this network consists of: windows 2003 dc windows2003 exch sp1 netscreen firewall oma was forwarding a copy of email to the handheld device, after i made the address change oma will not forward a copy of email. Also when i browse to http://servername/oma from ie6 i get prompted for log on then an error message of: A System error has occurred while processing your request. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator i belive this is all related. if anyone can help to resolve this i would really appreciate it ...

Can we change the default outlook form?
Hi all, We need to change our outlook contact form to the customized form. Is there a way to change outlook uses to use the customized contact form instead of outlook default form? exchange 2003 /outllok 2003/outlook 2007 envir. thank you. Hi, Please find below the link - "Tutorial: Creating and distributing custom forms with Outlook" http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA012106101033.aspx Regards, Vladimir Meloski "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:418F92EF-DE02-4642-8609-8E35EE9755C0@microsoft.com.....