Digital ID name not found error in Outlook 2003 w/ Exchange 2000

WinXP Pro SP2 fully patched (upgraded from Win2K Pro SP4)
Office 2003/Outlook 2003 SP2 fully patched

I'm installing company issued certificates in Outlook 2003 for the
first time for digital signature and encrypted email.  When I try to
send email with my digital signature I get the error:

    Your Digital ID name can not be found
    by the underlying security system

I have removed and reinstalled these certs several times (including
system reboots after removal) with no change.

I went to thawte.com and got a freemail cert issued but it gives the
same error message when I try to use it.  Since the company cert and
the free cert both give the same error I'm guessing it's not a
certificate issue/install problem.

I use Exchange for company email and my Exchange server is Exchange
2000 (all the others are Exchange 2003). I did find an MS KB article
about this error and Exchange 2000
   http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831601
that discusses this error can be triggered by Exchange 2000 not
running Post-Service Pack 3 Rollup.

My PC is part of my company's Windows domain and my user name is not a
"normal" user on my system (not listed under "Local Users and
Groups").  I connect to my domain via a VPN client.

I have my company's support team investigating but we all know how
that works......
0
b26440510 (13)

Clyde <b26440510@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm installing company issued certificates in Outlook 2003 for the
> first time for digital signature and encrypted email.  When I try to
> send email with my digital signature I get the error:
>
>    Your Digital ID name can not be found
>    by the underlying security system
>
> I have removed and reinstalled these certs several times (including
> system reboots after removal) with no change.

Which are you trying to do, encrypt or digitally sign.  The latter uses your
certificate, but the former does not.  If you are trying to encrypt a
message and you do not have the certificate (public key) of the recipient in
your security subsystem, you will see exactly the message you see.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
8/9/2006 6:09:27 PM
"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Clyde <b26440510@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm installing company issued certificates in Outlook 2003 for the
>> first time for digital signature and encrypted email.  When I try to
>> send email with my digital signature I get the error:
>>
>>    Your Digital ID name can not be found
>>    by the underlying security system
>>
>> I have removed and reinstalled these certs several times (including
>> system reboots after removal) with no change.
>
>Which are you trying to do, encrypt or digitally sign.  The latter uses your
>certificate, but the former does not.  If you are trying to encrypt a
>message and you do not have the certificate (public key) of the recipient in
>your security subsystem, you will see exactly the message you see.

I'm tring to digitally sign a message.  It appears that I can send an
encrypted email message to my email account fine.

0
b26440510 (13)
8/9/2006 7:37:06 PM
"Clyde" <b26440510@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Clyde <b26440510@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I'm installing company issued certificates in Outlook 2003 for the
>>> first time for digital signature and encrypted email.  When I try to
>>> send email with my digital signature I get the error:
>>>
>>>    Your Digital ID name can not be found
>>>    by the underlying security system
>>>
>>> I have removed and reinstalled these certs several times (including
>>> system reboots after removal) with no change.
>>
>>Which are you trying to do, encrypt or digitally sign.  The latter uses
>>your
>>certificate, but the former does not.  If you are trying to encrypt a
>>message and you do not have the certificate (public key) of the recipient
>>in
>>your security subsystem, you will see exactly the message you see.
>

> I'm tring to digitally sign a message.  It appears that I can send an
> encrypted email message to my email account fine.

Check out if this helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555502/en-us?spid=2520&sid=139

--
Arek Iskra
MVP for Windows Server - Software Distribution

"Arek Iskra [MVP]" <NoSpam_arek@arekiskra.com> wrote:
>"Clyde" <b26440510@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Which are you trying to do, encrypt or digitally sign.  The latter uses
>>>your
>>>certificate, but the former does not.  If you are trying to encrypt a
>>>message and you do not have the certificate (public key) of the recipient
>>>in
>>>your security subsystem, you will see exactly the message you see.
>>

>> I'm tring to digitally sign a message.  It appears that I can send an
>> encrypted email message to my email account fine.
>>

>Check out if this helps:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555502/en-us?spid=2520&sid=139

Problem is I can't even send a digitally signed message to myself,
much less anyone else.  I can however send an encrypted message to
myself when I look myself up on the LDAP server.

0
b26440510 (13)
8/10/2006 10:58:59 PM
Clyde <b26440510@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote:

> Problem is I can't even send a digitally signed message to myself,
> much less anyone else.  I can however send an encrypted message to
> myself when I look myself up on the LDAP server.

Click Tools>Options>Security>Settings.  Are the "Security Settings Name" and
"Cryptography Format" drop-downs set correctly?  In IE click Tools>Internet
Options>Content>Certificates.  Do you see your certificate?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
8/11/2006 12:51:44 PM
"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Clyde <b26440510@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Problem is I can't even send a digitally signed message to myself,
>> much less anyone else.  I can however send an encrypted message to
>> myself when I look myself up on the LDAP server.
>
>Click Tools>Options>Security>Settings.  Are the "Security Settings Name" and
>"Cryptography Format" drop-downs set correctly?  In IE click Tools>Internet
>Options>Content>Certificates.  Do you see your certificate?

Yes, all the settings in the Security tab are correct and I have
certificates set for both signing and encrypting.

0
b26440510 (13)
8/11/2006 1:36:17 PM
> WinXP Pro SP2 fully patched (upgraded from Win2K Pro SP4)
> Office 2003/Outlook 2003 SP2 fully patched
>
> I'm installing company issued certificates in Outlook 2003 for the
> first time for digital signature and encrypted email.  When I try to
> send email with my digital signature I get the error:
>
>    Your Digital ID name can not be found
>    by the underlying security system
>
> I have removed and reinstalled these certs several times (including
> system reboots after removal) with no change.
>
> I went to thawte.com and got a freemail cert issued but it gives the
> same error message when I try to use it.  Since the company cert and
> the free cert both give the same error I'm guessing it's not a
> certificate issue/install problem.

Hello Clyde!

This message means generally that outlook has problems with displaying an
encrypted email. It does not necessarily mean that there are problems with
your id. You can try using p7mViewer to decode the message and find what is
the real source of the problem.
See the Cryptigo blog
http://cct-blog.cryptigo.com/index.php?/archives/2006/08/04.html  for some
more information on possible problem sources :-)
 p7mViewer can be downloaded from
http://www.cryptigo.com/p7mViewer/Download/

Vizvary Istvan

0
vizys (3)
8/11/2006 5:01:36 PM
Clyde <b26440510@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote:
>WinXP Pro SP2 fully patched (upgraded from Win2K Pro SP4)
>Office 2003/Outlook 2003 SP2 fully patched
>
>I'm installing company issued certificates in Outlook 2003 for the
>first time for digital signature and encrypted email.  When I try to
>send email with my digital signature I get the error:
>
>    Your Digital ID name can not be found
>    by the underlying security system
>
>I have removed and reinstalled these certs several times (including
>system reboots after removal) with no change.
>
>I went to thawte.com and got a freemail cert issued but it gives the
>same error message when I try to use it.  Since the company cert and
>the free cert both give the same error I'm guessing it's not a
>certificate issue/install problem.
>
>I use Exchange for company email and my Exchange server is Exchange
>2000 (all the others are Exchange 2003). I did find an MS KB article
>about this error and Exchange 2000
>   http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831601
>that discusses this error can be triggered by Exchange 2000 not
>running Post-Service Pack 3 Rollup.
>
>My PC is part of my company's Windows domain and my user name is not a
>"normal" user on my system (not listed under "Local Users and
>Groups").  I connect to my domain via a VPN client.
>
>I have my company's support team investigating but we all know how
>that works......

bump
0
b26440510 (13)