Digital ID name can not be found...

I have an email I can't open because I get the following message from
Microsoft Outlook;

"Can't open this item. Your Digital ID name can not be found by the
underlying security system."

Was does that mean and how can I fix it?
The email "envelope" looks like it has a little red ribbon attached to it???
I can't right click it or anything.

Brad
Win2k; MSO2000 using MSOutlook

0
bs2171 (10)

"Brad" <bs@imhere.com> wrote in message

>I have an email I can't open because I get the following message from
> Microsoft Outlook;
>
> "Can't open this item. Your Digital ID name can not be found by the
> underlying security system."
>
> Was does that mean and how can I fix it?
> The email "envelope" looks like it has a little red ribbon attached to it???
> I can't right click it or anything.

It usually means that it's a digitally signed message, but you should be able
to open a message like that.  Where digitally signed messages are not sent as
clear text when signed, the recipient can encounter what you see.  This is
something the sender controls, so there's little you can do other than to
contact the sender and ask that s/he either not sign the message or send it in
clear text.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16051)
4/28/2009 4:06:10 PM
From: "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com>

| "Brad" <bs@imhere.com> wrote in message

>>I have an email I can't open because I get the following message from
>> Microsoft Outlook;

>> "Can't open this item. Your Digital ID name can not be found by the
>> underlying security system."

>> Was does that mean and how can I fix it?
>> The email "envelope" looks like it has a little red ribbon attached to it???
>> I can't right click it or anything.

| It usually means that it's a digitally signed message, but you should be able
| to open a message like that.  Where digitally signed messages are not sent as
| clear text when signed, the recipient can encounter what you see.  This is
| something the sender controls, so there's little you can do other than to
| contact the sender and ask that s/he either not sign the message or send it in
| clear text.
| --
| Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

May not digitally signed, but encypted email.

--
Dave

David

> May not digitally signed, but encypted email.

How could it be encrypted of the recipient doesn't have a digital certificate
and didn't give his public key to the sender?  Moreover the icon for an
encrypted message is usually a blue lock, not a red ribbon.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16051)
4/29/2009 11:44:02 AM
From: "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com>

>> May not digitally signed, but encypted email.

| How could it be encrypted of the recipient doesn't have a digital certificate
| and didn't give his public key to the sender?  Moreover the icon for an
| encrypted message is usually a blue lock, not a red ribbon.
| --
| Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Thanx for the correction.  I missed the Red Ribbon  :-(

--
Dave

David
4/29/2009 8:45:38 PM
Thanks for the discussion gentlemen,

If this helps at all it's coming from my son, he's in the US Army and it's
his MIL email address. The subject line has (UNCLASSIFIED) at the end; don't
know what that means or "if" it means anything.

He said he can send to web based email (gmail) w/o any problems, it's my
Outlook that seems to not like his email.

I can't even Rt. click his email and do anything, so I can't even see his
email addy to try sending him something.

Anymore thoughts?

Brad

> From: "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com>
>
> | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>
> >> May not digitally signed, but encypted email.
>
> | How could it be encrypted of the recipient doesn't have a digital
certificate
> | and didn't give his public key to the sender?  Moreover the icon for an
> | encrypted message is usually a blue lock, not a red ribbon.
> | --
> | Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>

> Thanx for the correction.  I missed the Red Ribbon  :-(
>
> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

0
bs2171 (10)
4/30/2009 2:27:50 PM
From: "Brad" <bs@imhere.com>

| Thanks for the discussion gentlemen,

| If this helps at all it's coming from my son, he's in the US Army and it's
| his MIL email address. The subject line has (UNCLASSIFIED) at the end; don't
| know what that means or "if" it means anything.

| He said he can send to web based email (gmail) w/o any problems, it's my
| Outlook that seems to not like his email.

| I can't even Rt. click his email and do anything, so I can't even see his
| email addy to try sending him something.

| Anymore thoughts?

| Brad

Yes...

It means you "son" used his Common Access Card (CAC) and digitally signed his email using
his AKO Email address

Such discussions should NOT be performed in public.

If you want to discuss this further, you may email me.

Just remove ~nospam~ from my posting email address
DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net

--
Dave

David

Select Names Dialog Box
Could someone help with the following? I am using Access 2003 with outlook 2003 and all I need to do is open outlook and for it to display the Select Names Dialog Box ( it would be nice to open outlook if it was closed) no more than that. Hence I am now after the code to go in the click event of the button. Any examples of VBA code that will work within Access 2003 would be appreciated The Select Names dialog box is programmable starting from Outlook 2007. You can't display it in Outlook 2003. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb176400.aspx --JP On Feb 5, 3:52=...

After Re-Install
HELP!!! After a crash and a re-install of Office we are now getting user name and password errors in Outlook 2002. We can access the same accounts via a www interface with the same account information. PLEASE help. I've downloaded all the service packs for XP and Office and I've tried un-installing and re-installing including deleting all of the profile information I can find and deleting Outlook's registry, but to no avail. I'm obviously missing something. Any help would be fabulous. Please e-mail Monica@ViaSollertia.co.nz Thanks so much!!! Monica ...

Swedish characters in the Display name #2
I have a problem with Swedish characters in the senders' names on outgoing e-mail. Previously we have formatted the display names like: Last name, First name This is causing problems for some external recipients, since their e-mail program reads this as two addresses (Last name as one name and First name as another) I tried changing the display name for one user to "First name Last name" instead, but then the Swedish characters are not shown when he/she sends an external e-mail. Example: "Åke Jönsson" becomes "Ake Jonsson" or "Åsa H...

Outlook: Can't open JPEG files
I have Outlook 2000 an unable to open JPEG files. What setting has to be changed to open these files? ...

Can I only allow printing to pdf in Excel?
I have created a template in Excel which has been set up so that the layout is perfect when printing to pdf (which is how the document will mostly be used) but the layout changes if printing direct to our printer. Is there a way that I can ONLY allow printing to pdf from this document? Hello You may consider using some VBA to achieve this. One way is to use the Workbook_BeforePrint event and specify the pdf printer in the PrintOut method, eg: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) ActiveSheet.PrintOut copies:=1, ActivePrinter:="CutePDF Writer on CPW2:" End Sub Pl...

why can't I get outlook to send when I'm emailing a webpage?
Hi. When I try to email a webpage to someone, Outlook immediately opens with the email template but it is always missing the send button and there is no option under actions to send it either. What is going on? Thanks!!! If you tell us your Outlook version and Windows version, and exactly what you're doing to send the page, then you'll have a better chance of getting a response. The Internet Explorer version might also be helpful. -- TechieBird http://bwain-dump.blogspot.com "reinadelmar" wrote: > Hi. When I try to email a webpage to someone, Outlook immediately...

Security Name
Hello - I have another problem that I could use help on. I have several accounts with different brokerage houses that holds the same security but with slightly different names. When I go to Update those accounts, I get popups from Money asking if the name for the security is the same as another security with a similar name. I say OK. But when it gets to the next account I get the same popup to prompt me to put it back to the old name, which gets annoying. To solve this problem, I could use 2 different names for the same security but then my summaries would be based on 2 different ...

Can CRM 4.0 professional run on Windows SBS 2003?
CRM 3.0 shipped in two flavours: CRM 3.0 for Small Business Server, and CRM 3.0 professional. Apparently, CRM 4.0 doesn't come in a "for Small Business Server". Instead, it ships as "professional" and "enterpriese" editions. Has anyone tried running CRM 4.0 on Windows Small Business Server 2003? Andy Hi, I'm running CRM 4.0 workgroup on SBS 2003 R2, didnt have any problems yet. As long as you have your ReportServices right during installation, you should be fine. Alex "Andy" wrote: > CRM 3.0 shipped in two flavours: CRM 3.0 for Smal...

publication designs in publisher
i am trying to create a flyer in publisher. basically, i have about 7 or 8 different sheets, all with the same content, but i want to have a different publication design for each one, so i can show my boss variations. however, when i try to change the publication design on say, page 3, it changes it on page 1. i can't seem to have 7 or 8 different sheets, all with different publication designs. is this because it sees all these sheets as one publication rather than 7 or 8? any help would be much appreciated. thank you! Read the HELP file how to turn off the Synchronisation. -- ...

Where can I delete an old/incorrect email address?
I'm using Outlook 2003 So I have, say, Sandy in my contacts book. Her email is SW@...... Later her email changes to SAW@...... I make the change in my contacts. But when I'm creating a new email and I start to type "Sandy..." in the TO field, it still finds the old "SW@..." address. Why? How can I delete that old & incorrect address forever? (Without starting from scratch and loosing all my old email?) Thanks Gary use arrow keys to highlight 'bad' address then hit delete btn "jabadoodle" <jabadoodle@yahoo.com> wrote in message n...

problems with toolbar-can't access certan commands i.e.hyperlink
can't access some commands - was working fine - now some commands are in grey - the commands disappeared from the pull down in the commands bar. Help magnus wrote: > can't access some commands - was working fine - now some commands are in grey > - the commands disappeared from the pull down in the commands bar. The hyperlink option may only appear when you are creating a Web Publication in certain versions of Publisher. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org Trial version? You may have run out of time. Some pulldowns only work when you are creating a ...

Named Ranges -- Link Issue?
I am working on a very large Excel workbook (231 worksheets, all inter-linked to one another). Each worksheet contains a number of named ranges (for the entire workbook, there are 6,117 named ranges). This appears to be causing a problem such that if I modify a cell on Worksheet1, and Worksheet2 is dependent on the value, Worksheet2 does NOT change UNLESS I rename Worksheet1. (I can rename it to _Worksheet1 and then back to Worksheet1, but again, unless I actually *change* the name, the link is not updated). Calculation is set to automatic (but even if I force calculation, be it on ...

Front end server with mail boxes??? can it be done #2
sorry for the late post... i have 50 users "joel" <joelbueno@verizon.net> wrote in news:ehG8e.8669$c93.2155@trnddc08: > sorry for the late post... i have 50 users Why? Are you going to have back-end servers? Regards, -- Arlo Clizer Exchange MVP FAQ: http://www.exchangefaq.org Archives: http://groups.google.com "joel" <joelbueno@verizon.net> wrote: >sorry for the late post... i have 50 users No. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed.
Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed. I am using XP, with Outlook 2003. For some reason, all my 800 contacts are having a problem. When I open the contact screen the "Full Name... " field is displaying names backwards. "Mr. John Smith" displays as "Mr. Smith John" I have checked my "Contacts Options" selection for default Full Name order and it correctly displays "First (Middle) Last"... I have noticed that if I delete the name and re-enter it, it displays correctly, however I cannot spend the time to d...

Need to merge multiple records in to one.. Can it be done?
I have a table with thousands of records containing a clients name in one field, a date in a second field and then a note in a third field. A new record is created each time a note was entered for that client. Example: Client A 01/01/01 First Note Client A 01/05/01 Second Note Client A 02/10/01 Third Note Client B 01/01/01 First Note What I need to do is convert this information so each client only has one record and in that record are all of their notes and the dates for those notes. The data is going to be imported in a new program so it must be in the new format. Can someone ...

how can i start using excel for the first time?
i cant figure out how to get excel to work for me and im a first time user of it? i Cant get nothing to work on it? can anyone please help me here Paul Can you get Excel to start up? Can you get a blank workbook to open via File>New? For basics on Excel see.......... http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/index.html http://www.baycongroup.com/el0.htm Microsoft Training Courses. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/CR061831141033.aspx Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:39:02 -0800, "Paul Scheffer" <Paul Scheffer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i ...

Can't open attachments in Outlook Express
I can't open attachments. I get the message; OE removed access to the following attachments iin your mail: ( the name of the attachment is shown. I sthis a virus thing. I have Norton Antivirus installed? Or is this a setting problem? I need some help ASAP as I have students who are depending on me for some answers Thank you very much Tim wrote: > I can't open attachments. I get the message; OE removed > access to the following attachments iin your mail: ( the > name of the attachment is shown. > > I sthis a virus thing. I have Norton Antivirus installed? > Or ...

Can I change default workplace "All" filter to "Appointments"??
Hi all, We heavily use the Appointments section of the CRM Workplace, and have defined a number of important Appointment views (Today's Appointments, Tomorrow's Appointments, To Be Scheduled Appointments, Waiting for Callback), etc. (We heaviy customized Appointments to add a status value, and links to our custom entities. Very useful!) The views all work fine, except they don't show up in the main set of activity views. They DO show up when the Type = "Appointment", so using these views require the user to: a) Click on Workplace b) Change the Type from All to Appoin...

how can I keep top-level windows in their relative z-order
A top level window will come to the top of the z-order (here I am assuming no always-on-top windows) when activated, say by clicking on it. But the owner of a top-level window will never be brought above its owned windows. Does anyone know of a simple way to prevent the top-level windows of an application from changing their z-order when activated? Why do I want to do this? I have an application that allows transparent Flash controls. As you know, transparent Flash control must be housed in a top-level window (Actually, they must be housed in a WS_EX_LAYERED window and a WS_EX_LAYERED...

name change of a form
Hi, I accidently named a form tblFormName instead of frmFormName. I want to change the name from tbl to frm to use the correct naming convention, so there isn't any confusion if the form is opened from the database window. I checked object dependencies and there are no objects that depend on the form, but there are objects on which the form depends. If I rename the form, will it cause any problems with other objects? (In laymen's terms: will it screw anything up if I change the form name?) Thanks. Can't possibly say. It depends on a lot of things. The Autocorrect feature ...

The operation failed. An object could not be found. #3
I've looked on microsoft and on the web about this error message. However none seem to cover my problem. This error message, "The operation failed. An object could not be found." shows when i click on rules and alerts. I've gone and done the things the other explanations give about creating a new profile, but I still get this error. I use the rules to separate my e-mails into individual folders depending on who the e-mail is from. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. If you can, any reply's can be sent to my e-mail address schristopher@struthers-dunn.com....

SqlMembeshipProvider.Initialize name parameter
I'm not understanding what the name parameter is for in the Initialize method of the SqlMembershipProvider. It's supposed to be the name of the provider instance to initialize. But this is an instance method of the provider, so it should already know what provider it's initializing without being told. Confusion here. "Harlan Messinger" <h.usenetremoverthis@gavelcade.com> wrote in message news:80o523Fe02U1@mid.individual.net... > I'm not understanding what the name parameter is for in the Initialize > method of the SqlMembershipProvider. It...

Certain mailboxes can be read by anyone, others can't
Hi Everyone :) Bit of a weird one: Exchange 2003 running on Server 2003 and I noticed today that any user can access my mailbox via the Open Other User's Folder function in Outlook (both 2000 and 2003). I have tested with a few other mailboxes, and some are accessible while others aren't. I have checked in AD > Exchange Advanced > Mailbox Rights, and we all appear to have the same permissions (except in cases where I have needed access in the past and given Administrator account access). Furthermore, the permissions *appear* to be working correctly, as you cannot open a user...

How can i customize a Exchange Template?? Which is the tool for this ?
I want to modify the templates of exchange to add more data in mail. Someones knows how to do this or if exist any tool to do this?? thanks ...

Dr. Watson Error Event ID 4097
I receive an excel has generated an error and will be closing dialog box when opening a particular file. The event viewer has a Dr. watson error with event ID 4097. The message is "The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 10/28/2003 @ 13:25:15.656 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 308D03A5 (memmove)". ...